Breaking Bad

Buyout

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 19, 2012 on AMC

• Tension's heavily increasing in an episode with too little plot to perpetually stay interesting

"Dead Freight" left audiences with mouths and eyes wide open and with "Buyout", the series gets back to a calmer state. However, the word 'calm' can only be used to describe this episode in comparison to one of Breaking Bad's most awesome yet devastating episodes, as there's tension increasing in so many relationships in "Buyout" and the atmosphere is thereby kept on an immensely uncomfortable level.

This becomes clearest in a dinner scene at the White household, marking the first encounter between Skyler and Jesse since Breaking Bad's very first season. As you could guess, the small talk they share is as awkward as it gets, especially once Mrs White feels the need to make her affair with Ted the subject of discussion, something she's discussed with her sister in a weird and protracted scene earlier on in the episode. Jesse is surprisingly similar to his pre-Walter-White self during that chat and is outstanding in his failing attempts to act normal. While less entertaining, the business talk is more important story-wise and in "Buyout", there's quite a difficulty arising for the three amigos in the wake of the preceding episode's finale. Seeing Walt, Jesse, and Mike deal with their assistant having killed an innocent boy in order to protect them from legal persecution is excellently showcasing their different states of mind the top of that being Walt assuring Jesse that that murder has been keeping him awake for nights while looking as if much more interested in the creation of the next meth badge.

Besides a short Saw-reminiscing release operation, "Buyout" is really all about the story evolving and excludes action of any sort. That wouldn't be something I'd have a problem with, were it not for the fact that nearly every scene in the episode is stretched out for a tad too long and that I was checking on my watch more than once.
  • One of the best of the series

This is the game changing episode for Jesse. Great episode was on the edge of my seat watching it!
  • The tension keeps on building

I'm glad that this is the last season.. I mean, I love the show and everything. It has just reached it's peak, and it's good to know it won't drag on and on, past it's prime, like so many other dramas have.

Can't wait to see how this plays out...
  • Gray Matter; Cable Fixer

He had always decribed his separation from that company as having been diddled, shortchanged; now he is telling that a buyout was his consensual decision.

He could have used his weak hyperopic glasses to cut the cable tie, instead of burning his hand.
  • Solid episode. Tension builds right through.

I am a week behind, so I apologize. I am also horribly behind on reviewing this fine season of Breaking Bad. This is my first review of the season and it's a hell of an episode to review.

The beginning with the dirt bike fit perfectly with the low music and no words. The acid is a cleansing tool for Walt, a tactic used for the third time now. The boy, who I will say, was indeed quite innocent, didn't even need to be shown. We knew he was going to be in the second barrel. We knew the acid was coming.

Rifts between Mike, Jesse, and Walt drastically increase in this episode. Although Mike initially agrees with Walt's decision that Todd did a good thing and we need to keep him alive, we can clearly see Mike and Jesse plotting to get the hell out of this business as soon as possible. Mike's day to day life is even more jeopardized due to Walt's actions - he's constantly being haunted by the DEA, he's working overtime because he has to listen to the wire-taps, and he's still basically controlling this business. He's the hardest worker of the trio. He's also been doing something else in the meantime, working with Jesse on finding a way out.

Mike's plan was pretty good. And the only reason why Walt doesn't sell right now is that the difference between selling now and the potential is a huge: roughly $95 million. This is huge to Walt, huge to anyone really, but Walt has changed. $5M is not enough anymore, despite what Mike and Jesse say. That potential profit is too much to ignore. I must say, I was not expecting this at all during this episode. I initially thought this episode (judging by the title) was going to involve offering Mike a buyout solely on Walt's orders. Just goes to show how surprised one can be by watching an episode every week. And I was really impressed by how solidly this entire episode was written from a logical point of view. Mike and Jesse sounded so smooth with their numbers, you can only imagine how many times those were worked out in the writing room.

I liked Jesse's argument about the $737,000 that Walt initially calculated as adequate profits. And I liked Walt's admission of how he parted ways with Grey Matter.

I really don't get what people hate about Skyler. She was great in this episode again. Once again, she almost confides too much with Marie. And this time, I really thought she said some stunners - insisting that she wants the children to stay at Marie's because they will not be safe at home and then saying that she cannot even start to tell Marie a thing because of the severity of the transgressions. Marie would never want to speak to her again. The tension was great and it was almost to the boil before Skyler got an outlet through the story with her affair with Ted. I also thoroughly enjoyed that dinner scene with Jesse, Walt, and Skyler. The awkward was at an all-time high and Aaron Paul played this beautifully. Jesse finally understands that Walt has lost a lot more than just money recently, he's lost his entire family. Walt is right, this business is the only thing left and that's why he's so reluctant to sell out.

So that brings us to the final couple of minutes. The only flaw in this episode was Walt's seemingly odd compliance with Mike when he went back to the warehouse and then to being cuffed to the radiator. I mean... I was expecting a little more fight at that point. But Walt manages to McGuyver himself out of another situation and has now done something with the truck full of methylamine.

Overall, we saw Mike's intense desire to end this business one way or another. In turn, Jesse sided with Mike again, showing once again his loyalty has not faded for him. I'm not so sure how this will end for Mike, but tonight (episode 7) will be a big episode. It will be really interesting how this situation pans out. I wouldn't be surprised if something goes horribly wrong, or right, who knows. These writers keep us on our toes - a testament to the show. I'm always surprised when I watch and that is just one amazing reason this show continues to dominate.
  • Empire State of Mind

Following closely on the heels of last week's tragedy Jesse directs his loathing towards Todd and his deed of having killed the kid as an excuse to kick Todd out of the crew/business altogether. The disposal of the kid's motorbike and putting him and the bike parts into acid and the reactions/silence of the music let you feel the utter weight of the act that had been performed. Jesse continues to be the moral center of the show as evidenced by Walt and Mike's unwillingness to "deal" with Todd due to some prison connections he has so they vote 2-1 in favor of having Todd stick around but under close scrutiny. In Mike's own way I can tell he hates the kid's murder just as much as Jesse does when he threatens Todd that if he ever brings a gun to a job without telling him about it he would "jam it up his ass sideways." But Mike's concern stems from Mike's professional cool and him not trusting the trigger-happy hand of anyone that wasn't him. They should've talked it over, not just shot first ask questions later. They could've told the kid that they were simply refueling the train and he would've been none the wiser. But Todd's affirmation that the kid would've gotten away and told someone weren't completely groundless either as the whole point of the train job was to not be seen or known to have ever been there. This is the kind of super grey area that Breaking Bad paints best on as all sides have arguments for or against the logically make sense while emotions and ideas of right and wrong are challenged to the supreme extent. That being said, Jesse also has a history of having problems with involving kids with what they do like the child soldier for the two thugs that killed Combo he vowed revenge on back in Season 3, to his uncertainty of wanting a life with Andrea and Brock all because of what he did. This act directly contradicts everything he's done because he did what he did but kept innocent kids out of it so only adults who wanted meth got meth. A little tirade there, but moving on. The DEA continues their surveillance of Mike and he clearly lets them know that he knows about their surveillance and he even goes so far as to get Saul to file a restraining order against the DEA that he knows won't stick but will buy them some time at the least. Walt, after delivering a successful cooked batch to the safe at the exterminator's place, gets news from Mike and Jesse. They're both getting out of the game; Mike because of the heat on him and Jesse because of the kid's death (which especially hit home watching Jesse's reaction to the news report of the search for said missing kid.) Mike is selling his and Jesse's thirds of the methylamine to someone who has an operation up and running in Phoenix, Arizona but Walt abstains saying that he'll go his own way with his 333 gallons. Skyler has a discussion with Marie while visiting the kids and almost reveals what Walt does for a living but she learns that Walt told Skyler about her affair with Ted and it being the cause for her behavior lately. Mike brings a gallon of methylamine to the boys from Phoenix and says that they will only make the deal for the full 1,000 gallons even though they are only selling the 666 to them they only want to make the deal to get the blue meth off the streets. With this news Jesse goes to Walt explaining that he will get 5 million dollars and when they started back in season 1 he calculated how much he needed but after Jesse's question of if they were in the meth business or the money business Walt responds that he's in the empire business and won't give in. Walt invites Jesse to a rather awkward dinner with Skyler, who drinks much wine and vents her frustration over Walt telling Marie and everyone else about her affair with Ted and she excuses herself despite Jesse's efforts to make conversation. Walt reveals that Skyler is waiting for the cancer to come back and for him to be dead and that his kids are gone so the business is all he has. A rather defeatist attitude but Walt still can sink lower as we've seen. When he goes to steal the methylamine from the hitched truck in the garage of the extermination place Mike catches him in the act saying that he thought that he would try something like that and they will spend the night sitting in the office until the deal happens with or without his approval. Great line, "I've never seen anybody try so hard to not make 5 million dollars." But Walt chem-fu's his way out of the restraints to the radiator but burns himself to do so and hides the methylamine and when Mike gets back to the office he pulls his gun finding out Walt escaped and puts a gun to his head and Jesse explains to Mike that they have a plan to get their 5 million each (forgot to mention that Mike's cut of this will cover Fring's former employee's "legacy cost") and they can keep all of the methylamine. The shot of Walt with a gun to his head defiantly saying, "Everybody wins" is burned into your head as the screen fades to black. Also I don't think we've seen the last of Hank going after Mike with his bloodhound-like case prowess. Another fantastic episode that didn't revel too much in the deed of last week but still managed to give it appropriate weight regardless. This show is very efficient in storytelling resolving while leaving questions and secrets from characters as well as us that will be left for later or blown up soon. My guess is Walt's plan is to get the Phoenix guys to turn on their other crew and pool their resources to come work for/with Walt, Mike, and Jesse or kill the guys and take their money but knowing Walt's empire state of mind it will probably be something brought on by this idea of a merging business since Arizona to New Mexico is a long turf for one meth business to cover.
  • Buyout

It has been awhile since an episode of Breaking Bad made me scream, "No, you can't do this! You can't end it on that note!" That's a good thing as the suspense was high here, and like so many times before, the plan will fail at first, but they'll manage to survive.

Mike deciding to get out now was a bit of a mischaracterization. I don't think Hank would put that much fear in a certified public assassin . Good episode as a whole though, but the dinner scene was awkward, and not in a good way. Jesse has never acted like that before and never should again.
  • Walt broke bad last season, now he is bordering evil.

Loved the part about him accepting a buyout from "Gray Matter" for personal reasons. I don't know if this is just another story he's using to persuade Jesse to help him out again or a glimpse at his past, either way I really look forward to that aspect of the plot developing.

Really makes me look forward to next episode, I think there is potential for Todd to come in and take over Mikes part of the business and leave Walt and maybe Jesse cooking, sad that the season is at its end.

The whole dinner with Jesse was awkward as hell.
  • Buyout

The Buyout was a perfect episode of Breaking Bad and I really enjoyed watching because the acting is phenomenal and I really enjoyed the character and plot development. The people working on this show are brilliant and very talented because I never cease to be amazed. The story telling is excellent, the actors are experts in their craft, and the cinematography and editing are superb. I liked seeing how Jesse, Walt and Mike dealt with the death of the boy and also their decision to get out of the business. I loved Skylar's scenes as she tried to maintain and uphold her image. Walt has truly earned the title of Mastermind and I enjoy watching his genius unfold. There were some awesome scenes that could be categorized as classic and I loved watching every minute! The ending was awesome and has me on the edge of my seat! I look forward to watching what happens next!!!!!!!!!
  • 2 to go

Great episode last night

1) I started to "hate" Walt - he's greed and transformation show that he doesn't care with anyone more - no one is going to stop Heisenberg's empire - not even Jesse and Mike

2) That dinner scene was awsome! So bizarre and hilarious at the same time

3) Walt's Jigsaw moment

4) Next episode promo: what a promo!
ABQ