A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

Staring this Sunday, August 10 and continuing each Sunday through October 5, AMC will be re-airing its Emmy Award-winning drama Breaking Bad in its entirety. The Bryan Cranston-led series officially signed off last September after five thrilling seasons—but the network will now spend the next nine weeks revisiting the dramatic and dangerous, sometimes humorous, and always entertaining adventures of Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. Fans and new viewers alike can look forward to nine weeks' worth of mini-marathons; each one will run from 5pm to 1am and be accompanied by never-before-aired interviews with the cast and crew, including series creator Vince Gilligan, stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, and more.

To celebrate, we've cooked up a bunch of blue meth and compiled a short list of the episodes we're most excited to revisit. We did consider just listing all 62 episodes of the series and calling it a day, but that felt like cheating—so here are the 13 episodes we especially can't wait to see again, in chronological order:

"Pilot"

Although some people believe Breaking Bad was a bit slow in the beginning, this is where it all began. It's where we first met Walter White, the sad-sack chemistry teacher diagnosed with cancer, and his pregnant wife Skyler. It's where Walt Jr. ate his first breakfast. And it's where we were first introduced to Jesse Pinkman, who immediately fell off a roof without his pants on. "Pilot" was the beginning of a (tragically) beautiful friendship.

"... and the Bag's in the River" (Season 1, Episode 3)

Breaking Bad taught us many things over the course of its five seasons; in "...and the Bag's in the River," we learned the sanctity of the coin flip. It's also the episode where Breaking Bad got REAL, as Walt was forced to strangle Krazy-8 as Krazy-8 tried to stab him with a plate shard. And that was after Walt and Jesse flushed the remains of Emilio down the toilet.

"Peekaboo" (Season 2, Episode 6)

One of the earliest indications of Jesse's kind soul—something we'd see more of throughout the remainder of the series—came through in the way he took care of the child in "Peekaboo." It was also the episode in which a dude's head was smashed in by a stolen ATM

"4 Days Out" (2x09)

In addition to showcasing several beautiful shots of the New Mexico landscape, "4 Days Out" contained plenty of humor, despite the dire circumstances Walt and Jesse found themselves in after the RV's battery died in the desert. Let's also not forget the many lessons we learned about wire and robots.

"One Minute" (Season 3, Episode 7)

Everyone (rightfully) remembers "One Minute" as the episode in which Hank took on the the Twins unarmed and ultimately emerged victorious. But it's also the episode where Hank beat the crap out of Jesse, which resulted in one of Aaron Paul's finest performances.

"Fly" (Season 3, Episode 10)

Perhaps the most divisive episode of the entire series, "Fly" was a Season 3 bottle episode that, on the surface, merely focused on Walt and Jesse's attempts to kill a fly in the super lab... but as character study, it was oh-so-much more than that.

"Half Measures"/"Full Measure" (Season 3, Episodes 12 and 13)

So we cheated a bit and combined these episodes, but they're pretty much a package deal anyway—it's right there in the paired titles! As the two-part culmination of an exceptional season, "Half Measures" saw Walt save Jesse's life, while "Full Measure" technically reversed the roles. We'll never forget you, Gale Boetticher. 

"Problem Dog" (Season 4, Episode 7)

Aaron Paul is one those actors who can play it both ways: He can communicate without saying much at all, or he can ramble off a big speech like this one at the support group he attended while trying to deal with the crushing guilt of shooting Gale and sell some drugs, too. Watch it again and I promise it will leave you wanting to hand him all the awards forever until the end of time.

"Face Off" (Season 4, Episode 13)

I dare you to show me a season finale better than Season 4's "Face Off." An hour of non-stop thrills, you won't find many episodes of television that are as well-done from start to finish as this one; between Gus's death, the destruction of the super lab, and the revelation that Walt did indeed poison Brock, it was an hour that proved exactly what Walter White was capable of.

"Dead Freight" (Season 5, Episode 5)

Also known around these parts as "The One Where We Realized Todd Was a Dick," "Dead Freight" staged a train robbery reminiscent of old westerns and basically made me pee my pants with anxiety. And I look forward to doing it all over again.

"Blood Money" (Season 5, Episode 9)

Even if you don't remember everything that happened in the Season 5B premiere, you definitely remember the speech Walt delivered at the end of it. You know the one, where he told Hank to "tread lightly" and the world collectively held its breath as we all waited to see what would happen next.

"Ozymandias" (Season 5, Episode 14)

A devastating hour of television that will go down in history as one of the all-time greats, "Ozymandias" ripped families apart in every sense of the word. From Hank's quick (albeit badass) death to Walt's confession to Jesse about letting Jane choke to the final confrontation between Walt and a terrified Skyler and Walt Jr., this episode ripped my heart from my chest, lit it on fire, put it in a blender, fed the resulting goop to a shark, and then sent that shark up into space and into a black hole where all the light and happiness from the universe goes to die.

"Felina" (Season 5, Episode 16)

The record-breaking series finale will forever be known by me personally as the series finale during which I got drunk and cried, but it will be known to many as one of the finest final chapters to ever close out a TV show. It's tough to stick a landing, but Breaking Bad managed to pull it off with "Felina." In fact, I'll probably get drunk and cry again the second (and third, and fourth, and fifth) time I re-watch it.

What Breaking Bad episodes are you most looking forward to re-watching?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

36 Comments
Follow this Show
Members