A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

Saul Goodman, pick up! AMC is calling! 

The much-talked-about Breaking Bad spin-off featuring filthy bus-stop lawyer Saul Goodman is happening. I think. It's a little difficult to tell from the press release. But here's what we do know: It's at least officially being developed. AMC has announced that it's reached a licensing agreement with Sony TV for a Breaking Bad spin-off centering on the character of Saul Goodman. The one-hour series would be a prequel, following Goodman before he meets Walter White. But hopefully not before he employs Huell and Kuby.

Let's have ourselves a little course in verbage in attempt to parse exactly what to expect. Here's what AMC said in its brief and rather nebulous press release:

AMC and Sony Pictures Television confirmed today that they have reached a licensing agreement for a spin-off of Vince Gilligan’s landmark AMC/SPT series Breaking Bad. As conceived, the new series is based on the show’s popular Saul Goodman character with the working title Better Call Saul. Plans call for Saul to be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the popular Saul Goodman character before he ever became Walter White’s lawyer.

That means Better Call Saul isn't quite an actual thing yet. It's in development. It still has a long way to go. Sony still needs to corral talent, hire a whole bunch of people, write scripts, and give lots of approvals before Better Call Saul becomes an actual show. There's also no word yet on an official pilot order, so the project needs that, too. Then it has to pass the pilot process. And then we'll have a show.

BUT the fact that AMC has put out a release tells me the network is very interested in it, and unless things go terribly wrong, Better Call Saul has a great chance of making it to air. If I had to guess, I'd say we're looking at a possible summer 2014 release if things are fast-tracked and everything goes smoothly, but that's crazy speculation on my part. 

Additionally, Breaking Bad writer Peter Gould is definitely on board with this thing, and Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan will have some input. Bob Odenkirk, who plays Saul, previously said that as long as Vince and Peter think it's a good idea, he's very interested.

Okay now let's speculate! The idea of a prequel brings up a whole lot of possibilities. Gus Fring could return. Mike Ehrmantraut could return. We could finally meet Saul's guy who knows a guy who knows a guy! Even Walter could make a cameo, via a chance encounter before Saul and Walter even meet each other. Plus, the fact that it's a prequel means that Saul Goodman could still eat a whole bunch of lead or ricin before Breaking Bad is over—it's not a free pass for him.

Remember kids, don't drink and drive. But if you do... Better Call Saul!

What would YOU like to see in Better Call Saul

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

67 Comments
Comments (78)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
To be honest I'd actually prefer to see a Jesse Pinkman spin-off prequal more than Saul. Saul always annoyed me. But I was always curious to see what Jesse did before Walter came into the picture. How he started with the drug dealing and why. His issues dating further back with his family and troubled life to how he ended up becoming. We all know Jesse was an entirely different person in the beginning of Breaking Bad. Would be interesting to see more of a nicer clean Jesse turning bad boy drug dealer down the road and how it all began.
Flag
A lot of people seem to be concerned about "an hour of saul is too much"... but if the show is anything like BB, then multiple characters will also be featured with time spent on each. In BB, we don't actually get a full hour of W.W., he's just the primary focus. If this new show does similar, then it could work out OK.
Flag
This has great potential. If they show the progression of Saul changing from a prominent attorney to the bus stop lawyer we currently know him as now, showing us how he makes all of his connections in the underworld. I'll trust that Vince Gilligan and company will not disappoint us, just like they've done with Breaking Bad. I'm looking forward to this.
Flag
Well, as long as they keep on Lavelle Crawford and Bill Burr I'll be happy. The occasional appearance by Gianacarlo Esposito and Jonathan Banks would be appreciated too.
Flag
On a different note, give me a Jesse Pinkman spin off and I'll be there like a bear YO!
Flag
Mmm I don't think this will be great there are so many lawyer shows out that I just can't see what would make this one stand out, he is great as Walt and Jesse's go to guy, but alone??? Will have to wait and see I guess
Flag
I can't imagine it being like other lawyer shows, I mean so many of them where the lawyers seek justice or success whereas Saul is out for himself much like Sean Penn's character in Carlito's Way. His appearance in BB always had it's own comedic sort of thing going on and I can see his sleazy character getting in and out of frypans and fires on a weekly basis, I know I'd tune in.
Flag
I really don't know if this'll be good or bad. On the one hand, with the reintroduction of characters now gone the way of the Samurai in Breaking Bad, it would be fun, and there's good potential. On the other, ultimately we are ALL going to be relating the show to BB and it might be hard for Saul to stand on his own (without the current gang).

I'll give it a watch when it comes out, but I think people are going to automatically contrast it with BB, and not in a good way for the spin-off. I don't suspect it would last.
Flag
i'd watch it, but they'd be smart to make them 21 min eps instead of 42. and have a short season like the brits do.
Flag
Saul is good for his 5 minutes screen time in each episode, but if i have to watch him for 25 minutes, I will rather pass. Still will give it a chance for sure.
Flag
I don't think I'd watch it actually.
Flag
'The idea of a prequel brings up a whole lot of possibilities. Gus Fring could return. Mike Ehrmantraut could return. We could finally meet Saul's guy who knows a guy who knows a guy! Even Walter could make a cameo, via a chance encounter before Saul and Walter even meet each other.'

Better Call Saul should not be any of this if it's made. Being a spin-off it will need to stand on its own two feet, and constantly referencing and showing characters that featured prominently on Breaking Bad will not allow it to do this. If it were to happen at all, I want it to only be Saul, in a completely different location, minimise its attachment to Breaking Bad as much as possible.

As for the idea of a prequel... I don't see what story there is to tell for Saul there. It could never match the same sort of character development that Walt has conveyed throughout Breaking Bad's run, I just haven't seen all that much to Saul as a character other than comic relief to be honest.

And yes, there's this point: 'Plus, the fact that it's a prequel means that Saul Goodman could still eat a whole bunch of lead or ricin before Breaking Bad is over—it's not a free pass for him.' I haven't got a clear idea of how Breaking Bad will end (who does?) but for some reason in every scenario I imagine Saul dying for some reason.
More+
Flag
On the story possibilities... I agree that they are probably really limited given that Saul can only really realistically be > 40 years old. Maybe the show would only cover the few years prior to his meeting Walt? I've seen mention on Twitter of the show Saul in the 80s or early 90s, but unless Vince Gilligan and co. have a time machine to bring back a younger Bob Odenkirk, that's not going to happen...

Flag
It doesn't sound exciting enough. If any prequel, I would have preferred one centered around Mike. I think that would have been awesome and gotten a big viewership. However, as many of you pointed out - let's have some faith in the people involved. Nothing is set in stone except that Goodman is obviously the lead character, even the prequel setup could change.
Flag
A prequel opens up a lot of possibilities for the show. As many have mentioned, Mike could be "back", Gus could be "back" - with his box cutter, Huell and Kuby could be there etc. Even if Saul dont know details about Gus in a prequel, the whole meth business could be featured threw Mike and his on / off workings with Saul. And I like the whole vibe of the New Mexico scenery, so thats working for it as well. But the tone of the show might change compared to BB. That may be hard to get used to. Trust Gilligan I say. And tread lightly.
Flag
A whole hour of Saul every week does seem like too much, but then again, I have faith in these writers. It'd be cool to find out more of his backstory and also bring back certain beloved characters like Mike.
Flag
I hate prequels and Saul is a great character but I don't think that he can be a good lead character.

Flag
well this is a mood chaner
i was realy looking for this hoping it would happen but not in a prequel kind of show wtf

prequel are for hollywood movies and reboots for producers that are on the end of their glory,,,,vince is way better than this.
dont care if it good ornot plse no prequel.

i want to see goodman develop him self after what ever happens at the end of breaking bad

dont bring that prequel shit to tv land !

But if we would see mike,gus as a reguler wel i might forget about what i just sad :P
Flag
I'd much rather another season of Breaking Bad.
Why is BB ending when it's still so damn good and it's only been 6 years?

Flag
Ending on a high is better than letting it drag out until it's unwatchable dreck.
Flag
Amen, brother!
Flag
I couldn't agree more - better have the show end on its own terms, when it can offer a quality ending, rather than be forced to wrap it up because it has exhausted itself. Would you rather have Breaking Bad turn into Dexter?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Because AMC bothered to issue a press release, which is an indication that there will at least be a pilot produced. That's a long way from a series order, but no network (save Netflix) would announce that before filming something.
Flag
I love Breaking Bad. I love Saul Goodman, I love Bob Odenkirk. But whyyyyy???? Why can't we just let a good thing go into the light without dragging its corpse across the desolate landscape of basic cable a la Weekend at Bernie's?

Let it go, folks. If you want a good Breaking Bad prequel there's always Malcolm in the Middle.
Flag
I'm actually considering watching all of Malcolm in the Middle again fairly soon, it was just released on DVD here in Australia. I don't think it's been available all that long in the US either has it?
Flag
A case vs Pearson-Specter!
Flag
What would I like to see? Insane cameos from other shows, as client of the week. Sam and Dean Winchester stroll into Sauls Office. I really think I would crap myself.
Flag
I think it would be better if it happened after BB. It's usually good to close one chapter before. I don't need to see how he became the guy he is today. It's not as if he as interesting of an evolution as WW.

Flag
Yes.. totally agree
Flag
My sentiments exactly.
Flag
The premise is iffy. But I still want an attempt at this. I think it could, with hard work, be very good. But talk about an original concept. On paper it sounds sketchy. I said the same thing about the Schrute Farms spinoff; it seemed far fetched but in the end I was impressed with the pilot. And this fall, I believe NBC will be kicking themselves for passing on it. They needed to continue The Office in some way.
Flag
I'm a Breaking Bad fan and I don't like this pitch... I don't care about Saul's history or following his random cases every week... The Saul character is a comical addition to the intense show of Breaking Bad, nothing more, and surely not a lead show. How about AMC brings back The Killing instead of this pointless prequel about a comical relief side character of a great ending show...
Flag
At first I wasn't on board with this idea, but I'm really starting to come around. Bob Odenkirk is terrific and I believe he could carry the show, also if this is a prequel that means Jonathan Banks could return as Mike and we could see him doing some PI work for Saul.
Flag
would be cool indeedd...BUT they could never develop a relation between those to,because they would have to stick to the story with what allready hapend to us,so they can not do much with it.
prequels are just always shit,and easy dont want that,make a damn god one hour show sequel,with all what has happend goodmanis likley to not be completly the same,so build on that i would say
Flag
More excited for the American Psycho sequel FX is dreaming up.
Flag
I do not like this idea. For one thing, we know the makeup of his office in Breaking Bad, so everyone's fate is predestined: no suspense; no tension. For another thing, he is comic relief and you can't cnter a series around the comic relief. This idea is full of fail.
Flag
*center
Flag
not a fan of prequels.
Flag
Great or terrible, could be either, hope for the former.
Flag
saul spinoff ...

who care ...

BB ... only 3 episodes left...

Don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs...

AMC is going to need something in a post BB and Mad Men tv world....
Flag
Yeah, this is a great idea and so is cancelling The Killing. NOT.
Flag
Those that doubt this project doubt Gilligan and Oderkirk - which is premise enough to send you on a trip to Belize.
Flag
Yeah Bitch! Belize.
Flag
I think this would be great for a summer airing of maybe a season or two. I would love to see how Saul got all of his connections (and how he narrowly escaped getting murdered every time he opened him mouth).
Flag
Always end on top...no prequel
Flag
Staff
zzzzzzzz
Flag
Anyone a little un-nerved that it is a prequel?
Flag
Kind of. I guess the creator just figured there would be no way he could ever get out of the Heisenberg situation clean. But I would rather that it take place afterwards.
Flag
He may be a more interesting character to watch after all is said and done by the end of Breaking Bad, that's for sure.
Flag
I wonder if he will be arrested at the end of BB and the prequel will make flashforwards to his future in jail. But now that i know its a prequel, I'm starting to think his character will be killed after all.
Flag
Nooo,don't do it AMC. I love Saul(Bob) and I am sure they could put some great jokes there,but in the long run it will ruin Saul. How long would this series last,since it would be prequel...2 seasons max? Would they start milking this cow,till all the milk is gone? Remember,if this is prequel and it goes on for too long,it will ruin Saul's character in Breaking Bad !!! I love rewatching Breaking Bad every now and then. PLEASE ABANDON THIS IDEA!

Saul's guy is like this: Saul knows Mike,who knows Victor,who knows Gus.
So Saul knows a guy(Mike),who knows a guy(Victor),who knows a guy(Gus).
Yes,I know Mike knows Gus and Victor worked for MIke(right?),but Saul doesn't know this.
Flag
This will be awesome. My "better call Saul" t-shirt says so.
Flag

Flag
I would really get a kick out of this, maybe only for a season or two, but I am glad I was remembering correctly that it is supposed to be a prequel. Not only for the fact that it could cover the time from when he opens his office and we could meet Kuby and Huell at the same time Saul does (and I must confess I didn't even entertain the possibilities of Mike and Gus!) and Francine could be a more prominent character but I would hope they remember how light hearted and happy Saul was so that the more of the people we know he knows the closer to the Saul we met was before he met Walter. It also is a good idea for a prequel because I seriously doubt Saul, even if he somehow survives the next three episodes which I too doubt, would ever be the same after all the events he has witnessed or been a party to in the two years since he met Walt.
Flag
He's awesome but I'm not a fan or prequels booo
Flag
Follow this Show
Members