A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

Breaking Bad S05E11: "Confessions"

To quote our dear legal counsel Saul Goodman, things have gone nuclear on Breaking Bad. But the shockwaves were preceded by the usual whistling of a megaton bomb speeding through the air creating an uncomfortable air of anticipation, particularly because of how relentless the season had been so far. For the bulk of "Confessions," my gaze was up in the air waiting for something to fall from the sky and put a crater in the ground, and when it did, KABLAMMO. "Confessions" wasn't the constant barrage of mortar fire the first two hours of the final season gave us, playing it tame and rather unspectacular for the first 40 minutes of its 47-minute run. But those last minutes? Hoo-boy. They were about as brutal and explosive as anything this wonderful wacky show has ever done and represented one of the sharpest turning points for the series. 

I don't want to use the word "sleepy" to describe most of the episode, because everything's relative, but "Confessions" slowed things down a lot. I've been slightly concerned about how Breaking Bad would be able to sustain a pace set by "Blood Money" even in a shortened season, and "Confessions" almost fooled me into thinking it was filler.

Let's look at those moments before Jesse went all Manimal rage with a gas can, anger drool, and bug eyes anyways, because there were some interesting choices made. First and foremost, and this should generate a lot of discussion, was Walter's "confession." The setup was pretty great (and intentionally misleading, something the show doesn't always resort to); Walter and Skyler sat down to film a confession and we thought it would be the "I give up" that was discussed on the bathroom floor last episode. Then came the most uncomfortable Mexican dinner I've ever been a part of, where the heartburn and gas pain came before anything was even ordered. It was Walter and Skyler giving Hank and Marie one last chance to back off before things got extra-serious, but Hank's tenacious bulldog face he made at Walter the entire meal was having none of that. And I think Marie was pretty clear on her stance when she told Walter to drink a bleach margarita and make things easier on everyone. Check please, overenthusiastic server!

But instead of paying his half of the bill, Walter left behind his "confession," and once again we all bit our knuckles. Could this be it? Could this be the moment Walter finally gives in to Hank and the final five episodes of Breaking Bad become a drawn-out courtroom drama full of legalese and Saul yelling, "objection!" to every other word the prosecution says? Nope. Instead, that "confession" was a dirty, dirty threat to Hank and Marie. There was Walter admitting to a whole bunch of stuff but pegging Hank as the make-it-happen man, a crooked DEA agent who imprisoned Walter for his chemistry skills, used his connections to create a meth empire, and killed Gustavo Fring. 

The question here is, "Would this really work?" I would assume that if it came down to it, a "he said, he said" situation would lean in favor of Hank, a revered member of the Albuquerque office of the Drug Enforcement Agency. I agree with Marie, if Hank got out in front of this, I wouldn't see him taking the fall for anything. I'm also not clear why Walter paying for Hank's surgery factors into anything, other than a flimsy cahoots accusation. If Hank is building this "meth empire" that Walter accused him of, wouldn't he be able to pay for his treatment himself? Isn't that actually a sign that Hank wasn't involved in the business? Maybe I'm underthinking this. The hardest part of this season for the writers was to find a convincing way to keep Hank from telling the DEA what he suspects, and it's getting harder and harder for us to believe. Yes, there's Hank's pride about looking like a buffoon over not seeing that he was picnicking with Heisenberg, and pride is a huge part of Breaking Bad, but there's also common sense. I'm not entirely sold that Walter holding this false confession over Hank is the ample threat the show is making it out to be. But good lord does it make for fun television! 

Okay, let's talk about Jesse. Jesse got bailed out of his situation with Hank thanks to Saul arriving (he heard about Jesse's money shower on the news?). Interestingly, Jesse was in no danger of flipping on Walter at that moment. At that time, there was no one on the planet Jesse hated more than Hank, so the chances of him cooperating with him were about as good as Huell fitting into a 36-inch waist pair of trousers by next summer.

Saul arranged Jesse's meetup with Walter next. What a lovely little scene this was, and the first time this season that Aaron Paul had a chance to remind everyone that he's got Emmy hardware on his shelf, bitch. Walter did what he always did in these situations and played the father figure, like he did in "Blood Money" and any other time it served his purpose. But Jesse was as empty as he's ever been, and laid into Walter with a speech he's always wanted to say:

"Just drop the whole "concerned dad" thing and just tell me the truth. You're acting like me leaving town is all about me and turning over a new leaf. It's really about you. You need me gone, because your dickhead brother-in-law is never going to let up. Just say so. Just ask me for a favor. Just tell me you don't give a shit about me, and it's either this, it's either this or you'll kill me the same way you killed Mike. I mean isn't this what this is all about? Us meeting way the hell out here? In case I say no? C'mon. Just tell me you need this."

Walter's reply? *HUG* Which to me is an admission of guilt by not providing a denial. Still, it's what makes this messed-up relationship so strong. Walter is doing it because it benefits him, but let's be honest, it's also what's best for Jesse. Jesse somehow came to the same idea, and agreed to use Saul's man to make him "disappear" to Belize Alaska. Saul made the call, Jesse smoked pot, Saul said don't smoke pot, Jesse put the pot back in his pocket, and Jesse was headed out of town for good.

Being the final season, you'd be forgiven if you thought for a micro-second that Jesse was actually leaving. But that just wouldn't be right, and Jesse searched his person for his weed and came up empty except for a pack of secrets. A lightbulb the size of the New Mexican desert went off over his head and that's when it hit him: that bastard Walter had Saul snake the ricin cigarette from his pocket back in Season 4, one of many skeletons in Walter's closet that are trying to push their way out. (Is Jane's death next?)

And I think we can say Jesse did not take this very well. Not at all. Eyes red, teary, and bulging like he just took his helmet off on Mars, Jesse ran back to Saul's and confirmed the truth. Jesse kicked the shit out of Saul! Oh my god! Then he drove to the White household, ran over one of those cool front-yard lamps that I hope to have a normal enough of a life to own one day, kicked the door in, and doused the livingroom with what one would guess was gasoline, all the while drooling and snarling like one of Pavlov's rabid dogs at a bell factory. Holy crap. Hold me. Aaron Paul, ladies and gentlemen. This was the explosion we've been waiting to see from Jesse for years.

NOW does Jesse flip on Walter? Now would seem like a good time to flip on Walter, Jesse, if you're going to do it at all. Or do we just settle this like drug dealers and burn each other's houses down? (Note: something must stop Jesse from burning the house down, as the flashforward showed a White house that was trashed, but not burnt.) I'm still on board with the idea that either Jesse or Skyler will turn on Walter, and these episodes are building to that.

"Confessions" may not have matched the intensity of the previous excellent two hours of Breaking Bad, but you can argue that it took the biggest step in pitting Jesse irrevocably against Walter. Jesse against Walter! These two will never be the same. No more, "Yeah, Mr. White!" No more Walter calling Jesse "son." No more Jesse and Walter. 

LAB NOTES

– If you watch closely, you can see Huell snatch the weed out of Jesse's pocket as he's leaving Saul's office. Smooth move hot dog fingers.

– I love Kevin Rankin in anything he's in, most notably Friday Night Lights (wheelchair rugby player Herc) and Justified (white supremacist Devil), and really hope we get to see as much of his Kenny (one of the thugs, again, a white supremacist, that Todd works with) in the short amount of time we have left. "Nanny state, when I see a kid with a bicycle helmet on, I wanna smack the shit out of him. For his own good." Dream casting idea: he sticks around for the rumored Saul Goodman spinoff.

– I don't know what it means for Walter that Todd and his band of racist co-workers are headed back to New Mexico to do some cooking. Could Walter revert back to Heisenberg's hubris and get mad that an inferior product is in his territory? Does he have a little left in him that wants to go back into the trade? Will Todd try to get him to cook after his 74-percent garbage doesn't sell as well? There has to be something to Todd's phone call saying that "there's been a change in management." And did Walter listen to that voice mail yet?

– Saul: "I imagine Schrader shared with you his recent discovery. Then you get my complete lack of chill!" There's a new phrase to add to my dictionary of everyday conversation.

– There was something to Skyler zoning out when Walter came into her office. I think she's seriously contemplating her options here... one of them being turning on her husband and saving her family. It would be fun if the show had someone flip on Walter, but didn't tell us who it was immediately, leaving the identity of the turncoat to be revealed at a later time while we all wonder who it was. They sure are building several candidates, aren't they?

– Walter played the situation with Junior and Marie perfectly. Oh you wanna try to get Junior over to your house for dinner? "Junior, I have cancer again." Bam. Trump card. Pull those strings, Walter.

– The way the show has made Walter and Marie so convicted in their beliefs with the revelation that Walter is Heisenberg has been brave. I've often wondered why neither Hank or Marie asked Walter or Skyler the simple question of, "Why? Why did you start making drugs?" There hasn't been a hint of compassion from either of the Schraders, which one would expect from the kind of family that frequently shares backyard BBQs. But there's not even a glimmer of wondering why or how this happened. It's probably the smart decision, though. If the writers went down that road, it would jam up the acceleration of the season. In a 13-episode season, I think those questions could be asked and we could watch the anger build. But eight? Not enough time.

– Jesse's explosive reaction at the end is only magnified by the way he held out against Hank when he asked him to turn on Walter, and when Walter was able to convince him that leaving town was his best course of action even when Jesse knew he was being manipulated (again, probably for his own good). When you add all those things together, it makes the ending that much more potent. That's good TV writing, there.

– When Steve is giving Hank grief about putting some of his men on surveillance of Jesse, he's wearing purple! Is he channeling Marie? Also, Hank wears purple to the Mexican restaurant. Was that a sign of their solidarity? Purple, you guys, PURPLE!

– Are we really supposed to believe that a Taqueria in New Mexico would have a white kid as a waiter? THIS SHOW IS SO FAKE.

– Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul have both won Emmys for their acting on Breaking Bad. But we might want to nominate Walter White for an award based on that acting job he did on his fake confession tape. Goodness gracious that guy can pretend!

– Over-analyzation of the week: There was a blue sympathy card right over Skyler's shoulder in the car wash, that means she's dying right?

– I always rewatch Breaking Bad on Sunday night without the burden of overthinking it or taking notes after I've sent off my review, and I always pick up on things that I didn't include in the review. Of course this sounds silly a week later, but Future Walter is back in ABQ to get his money, right? Maybe he has to dig it up, maybe someone else got it. But that's his main reason for being back, I'm guessing.

[UPDATE] There's been some confusion over the ricin cigarette and the Lily of the Valley and how Jesse figured out that Walter poisoned Brock and all that, and superuser DavidJackson8 summed it up well in the comments below. But because people are lazy and going through the comments section is a lot of work (guilty!), I'll repost it here. Take it away, DavidJackson8!

"In season 4 episode 11, 'End Times,' after learning that Brock was in the hospital from some sort of poison, Jesse went outside to smoke and realized his ricin cigarette was missing. He then told his GF and the nurses that Brock may have been poisoned by ricin. Then he went and had that huge scene with Mr. White where Jesse was really close to killing him, accusing him of poisoning Brock with the ricin. That big scene was all about Jesse thinking Mr. White had taken the ricin from him (possibly through Saul/Huell) and poisoning Brock to get back at him. Walt then twisted it and convinced Jesse that Gus (through Tyrus) took it from him and poisoned Brock so that Jesse would think Mr. White did it and kill him. That was Walt's plan all along... Jesse was getting closer and closer with Gus, so Walt came up with all of that to convince Jesse to be on Walt's side so they could kill Gus together. It wasn't until after they killed Gus that Jesse found out it wasn't the ricin that hurt Brock." 

The idea that Huell stole the ricin cigarette from Jesse's pocket under Walter's orders had always been on Jesse's mind (he was so convinced of it that he put a gun to Walter's head), so when he reached into his pocket and noticed that his marijuana was missing as he was headed to Alaska, he put it altogether right there just in the nick of time. It's a bit of convenience that television sometimes takes, but I think it works here and I'll overlook anything that leads to Jesse acting like a madman. Hope that clears things up!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

299 Comments
Comments (299)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Although I loved the episode, I didn't really like the directing. It didn't really feel like Breaking Bad and way too conventional. I noticed, for example, when there was a shot of Todd's uncle flushing down the bloody tissue. Usually, they leave out these kind of shots that show obvious actions.
However, I loved the shot of Walt's content face after Junior says he'll stay. It just serves to show how much Walter enjoys successfully manipulating people.
Another great one was Walt in the shadows talking to Skyler, dressed in white, in her office. Foreshadowing, anyone?

The confession tape works for me because you can't forget Hank isn't the only one with benefit-of-doubt-material on his CV. We tend to forget that a year ago, Walter was an underachieving chemistry teacher with a second job at a car wash and cancer.

Flag
Walt wouldn't have filmed that confession tape if he didn't have Hank by the nuts. And for people saying that the DEA would always side with a respected agent, remember Merkert? He was fired simply for being too close to Gus Fring. Imagine what they would do to Hank if they found out Heisenberg was his brother-in-law.
Flag
SO ive noticed that a lot of people think this, but neither of the flash-forwards are in New Hampshire, obviously the 2nd one isnt, but the first one is in Albuquerque. As proven when the waitress sees his ID says hes form new Hampshire they talk about how thats 2000 miles away, and a 30 hour trip. Also Walt tells the Gun dealer that the gun isnt leaving town, and then it shows him still in Albuquerque, i just want to say that as i see so many people thinking that.
Flag
Jesse is Fredo. He's going to have to go down by Walt's hand. If that is of course, where they are going.

Flag
Love the taqueria scene. Perfectly done. Extremely serious with touches of humor (waiter's interruptions) thrown in to balance out the bleak subject matter.
Flag
Last week I hated the fact that Jesse was written as having been caught on a merry go round and this appeared to be what would lead to a scene where Jesse confesses and teams up with Hank. Glad to be proven wrong! The decision to have it build up to Jesse going insane and no longer seems like bad writing. Fantastic episode! Great fake out by the writing team and this will lead to a much more exciting plot development than just simply Hank and Jesse teaming up!
Flag
What are those thing behind Jesse in this picture?

Flag
that's actually what is called the Juan Tabo Dam. In the more serious flash flooding that occasionally occurs from the mountains above it, those concrete stanchions are to slow down the flow of water over the barrier and not wash out the neighborhoods below.
Flag
Some type of memorial?
Flag
Usually structures like that are put along expressways to deaden the sound of the cars for the surrounding areas. The memorial symbolism is striking though.
Flag
Jesse got into the house really quick, but what about Junior? Maybe he's still inside the house, and that is what's stopping Jesse from burning the house down. Junior would also turn against Walt as Jesse would reveal Walt's secret to him.

Yeah... I think that is going to happen, I'd love to see a Jesse-Junior scene!
Flag
I'd also love a Jesse-Junior scene, but Junior's car wasn't on the driveway. Lets still hope for the possibility of him being in the house though!
Flag
Brilliant. I hope it ends with Junior offering to make Jesse some breakfast.
Flag
I could see it. Totally hope it happens. It'll be much harder for Skyler to stay aligned with Walt after that.
Flag
Hey guys,

There's so much to talk about after the last three episodes. My friends and I at the Obsessive Viewer recorded a special episode of our podcast in which we discuss these first three episodes of the final season of Breaking Bad. Give us a listen and give us your thoughts! Thanks guys.

http://obsessiveviewer.com/2013/08/28/the-obsessive-viewer-podcast-ep- 12-bonus-ep-breaking-bad-the-final-episodes-part-1/#more-3020
Flag
Am I imagining things or did Hank turn off the video camera before he spoke to Jesse. Then Saul came in, turned the camera away and switched it back on, possibly thinking he was turning it off. Their discussion about Walt and Jesse will then have the sound recording confirming Walt as Heisenberg.
Flag
Surely Saul is smart enough to know whether the red light is on or off
Flag
An intriguing theory.
Flag
Maybe not right now, but Hank is forgetting about a witness and I garauntee soon enough he will remember. BADGER. Hank once used Badger to rat out Walt, but Walt hired someone to go to jail pretending to be him. Hank knows that Badger once worked with Heisenberg, once he remembers I think Badger could flip depending on how Hank approaches it.
Flag
If he gets Jesse, he's not going to need Badger. But yes, if Walt kills Jesse, then Badger will probably be willing to help out.
Flag
The whole manipulation/dad thing between Jesse and Walt seems more to me than just a flat out lie.

I really do think that Walt has fatherly feelings for Jesse. Walt doesn't kille family remember and Jesse is still not dead. Yes he manipulates his 'son', but isn't that what parents often do? He just wants to see the boy happy and doesn't want something like the truth destroying that. It's best if your children don't know everything. It will make them cynical and unhappy.

It was a main part of what attracted me to this series. We had a failing dad whose idiotic son ignored him and even took on a different name because he loathed him so much. And then he finds a lost boy that he treats as his son. They don't go fishing, but cooking meth together in the desert (including some bickering) is about the same thing.

If Walt didn't have those fatherly feelings, Jesse would have been dead a long time ago and no one would have missed him.

Flag
It's possible for him to still care for Jesse/be a father figure and manipulate him. It's just that at some point, this dude is not going to be able to make it in society. He's not capable of it, he's an addict, and is unable to process things like a mature adult. I think Walt was assuming that now that they got rid of all threats and left the business that Jesse would be fine. And I don't think Walt wants to kill him at all, but Jesse's actions prove in this and the last episodes that Walt has no other options. Jesse attempting to burn down his house! Jesse is basically pulling the trigger for Walt.
Flag
I agree Walt had feelings for Jesse in the past but this season, I think he is all about protecting himself and also his real family. Walt sending Jesse away is definitely FOR Walt and no one else. Jesse had always trusted Walt and to now understand how evil "Walt" had been is partly the reason making Jesse depress. Added to the fact that Jesse consider mike also as a fatherly figure and that Walt had killed Mike makes Jesse even more piss with Walt. I think Jesse is very tired of Walt lying. The ricin thing pushed him over the edge. It did not killed anyone but it could have.
Flag
I don´t think "for Walt and no one else".. I said to myself long time ago why the hell Jessie wouldn´t take money and start doing something.. leaving town, change identity, maybe help poor as redemption.. this would be actually really the best for him - to leave.
Flag
I agree. I reckon Walt does have genuine fatherly feelings towards Jesse and he does care about him. He's put himself in harms way too many times to look after Jesse not to (fighting to get him to cook with him for Gus, Rescuing him when he was off in that drug house dying etc). It adds more depth to their scenes together imo.

lol'd at your comment "They don't go fishing, but cooking meth together in the desert (including some bickering) is about the same thing." as well haha. Same thing :P
Flag
I just didn't get it.

Jesse feeling guilty over the death of the boy in the desert struck me as sincere. Yes, he would be depressed out of his mind because he has all that money and it won't help. But freaking out over a poison pill he lost months before and didn't kill anyone seems overly dramatic. It isn't a viable reason to burn someones house down. The killing of his girlfriend would have been a better reason, but I think there was no way for the writers to bring that up in a believable way. But this whole Jesse freaking out over the ricin just didn't land.

I also don't buy the Hank side of the story. Marie was right, he should just take the confession (although partially false) to his collegaues. Yes, he might lose his job, but they will hush it up if the police force is smart enough (they wouldn't want a scandal like that). The police will establish soon enough that Heisenberg, the cook himself, is responsible for everything.
Flag
I agree, the ricin thing wasn't believable, because he DID mention Brock, but it wasn't the ricin that poisoned Brock. So it was about the kid but he knows it wasn't ricin that poisoned him so what's the big deal?
Flag
While we focus on all the whole Jesse/Walt/Saul/Brock/Cigarette/Ricin/Berry ordeal I think the one thing that has probably been overlooked is the unlikely way Todd's posse is somehow able to totally wipe out the crew of Declan without seemingly suffering any casualties themselves.

Hard to believe a drug cartel wouldn't be packing serious heat themselves and have people on look out for any ambush or people unexpectedly crossing there path like law enforcement or a kid on a motorbike:)
Flag
That explanation of the ricin doesn't clear anything up. If Jesse knows it wasn't ricin that poisoned Brock, then why would he freak out? Yeah, it proves Huel may have lifted the ricin from him but to Jesse, it shouldn't matter because that wasn't what poisoned the kid.. so how does he figuring out that walt had the ricin lifted from him mean walt poisoned brock with something that wasn't ricin...? Plot hole.

If the writers kept it with brock being poisinoed with ricin, then this reveal would have made sense.. but they made it lilly of the valley and nothing that happened, including him knowing huel lifted the ricin, would make Jesse know what really happened.
Flag
It's not a plot hole. Everything leading up to that has been meticulously built up logically piece by piece over several seasons. It really doesn't matter that Brock was poisoned with Lilly of the Valley and not ricin - there is enough circumstantial evidence to show that Walt was behind the poisoning.

Warning, this explanation is quite long as there are a lot of pieces.

Jesse's realization all makes sense if you break it down from his POV:
Jesse knows that the only people who knew about the ricin and the fact that it's hidden in the cigarette are himself and Walter. Throughout season 4, Walt kept pressuring Jesse to poison Gus with the Ricin.

Gus sets up his operation such that Jesse gets pulled closer to Gus/Mike (especially Mike), and isolated from Walter. Jesse doesn't poison Gus (he didn't have any "clean" chance to do it) and lies to Walt that he hasn't seen Gus. Walt bugs Jesse's car and figures out that Jesse has gone to Gus' house. At the end of episode 4x09, Walt confronts Jesse about this lie and that leads to the the two of them having a HUGE falling out where Jesse beats the living crap out of Walt.

In ep 4x11, Walter comes to Jesse's house fearing for his life and begging for his help in dealing with Gus. Jesse wants nothing to do with Walt and kicks him out. While at Jesse's house, Walter sees Brock. The next day, Brock gets really sick and exhibits signs that he may have been poisoned. Jesse looks everywhere and can't find the ricin cigarette. Jesse tells the hospital to check Brock for ricin poisoning. Jesse shows up at Walt's house and accuses him of poisoning Brock, since only Jesse and Walt knew about the ricin. Jesse almost kills Walt during the exchange. Walt is able to persuade Jesse that Gus was really behind the poisoning, and the two then decide to team up to kill Gus.

After Gus dies, Jesse learns that Brock was really poisoned with Lilly of the Valley and tells Walt.
Jesse: So Gus didn't poison him after all. Still, he had to go, right?
Walt: Damn right - Gus had to go.

At the beginning of season 5, Walt and Jesse go through all of Jesse's house looking for the ricin cigarette. After several hours of pouring through stuff, Walt "discovers" the cigarette in the Roomba vacuum. Jesse cries and having almost killed Walt over a stupid mistake. Walt says it's all fine, it turned out for the best, because they worked together for a common goal (taking out Gus). Walt smoothly transitions that exchange to convince Jesse into the meth business again.

In the last few episodes of this final season, Jesse has FINALLY picked up on the fact that Walter is a master-manipulator and has been playing him for a long time now. Usually, when Walt does the whole "protective dad"/"it's for the best" routine, Jesse buys the story hook line and sinker. But when Walt keeps reassuring Jesse that Mike got away safely, Jesse knows that Mike is really dead and that Walt is a good liar.

In this most recent episode, Jesse specially calls out Walt on the fact that Walt is just "working" him to do things that will ultimately benefit Walt.

So when Jesse realizes the bag of weed isn't in his pockets, he knows Huell took it. Which reminds him of the missing ricin cigarette, that Huell had the ability to swipe that as well. But why would Huell take his cigarettes when only Walt knows about the ricin? And then all pieces fall in place as Jesse realizes it all comes back to Walt. Jesse has known Walt has consistently acted with survival as his #1 priority, no matter the costs (taking out Gale, Gus, Mike, not giving a crap about the kid on the motorcycle dying, convincing Jesse to get a new identity). Jesse confronts Saul to confirm his suspicions, and boom, they are confirmed.

Sorry for the long post!
More +
Flag
stuff i unfortunately forgot about.. I should re-watch everything but i don't like rewatching stuff so tnx for this solid recap :)
Flag
Thank you so much for the recap, it's quite credible now actually.
Flag
Sorry, Jesse was the one who "discovered" the ricin cigarette in the Roomba (after it was planted by Walt).
Flag
Help Please. Didn't Hank get a "warning" via txt message before he got attacked on the parking lot by the two psycho brothers?
Flag
Hank did get a warning (it was a phone call).
If you're wondering why it wasn't mentioned by Walt on the video - it's because the warning doesn't alter the effectiveness of Walt's fake confession story. Walt just needed to have enough true facts weaved into his tale to make it a believable sell that Hank was the bad guy. And there's A LOT of damning pieces there, so the text message is irrelevant to that confession
Flag
I only mention it because Hank is rethinking a lot that happened and trying to put things together ... and he is painting all very black & white. At some point he should realize that there was an "evolution of bad".
Flag
It was a phone call, not a text message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK8qE-1_Uts
Flag
In the first episode of the season, it was talked about that it looked like Walt was wearing Jesse's jacket in the future scene with Carol, possibly predicting Jesse's demise but this jacket also looked a lot like the one Todd was wearing in the diner
Flag
I cant get last weeks article, fuckin annoying!!
Flag
You mean Tim's review of "Buried"?
Flag
I know its Tuesday and no ones reading anymore, but I predicted what happend this week with jesse. I have to go back and get my comment from last weeks epiosde, and reposrt it here.....but until then, allow me to make another prediction fo next week, Jesse will kill Walt Jr by accident. You heard it here first. Btw, where's the baby??????
Flag
That would yet again make us feel sorry for Walt, so I wouldn't put it past them. This show loves to jerk our feelings around and is very good at it, right now I don't know if I want him to die a slow painful death or ride off into the sunset. But I also think that that would be the end of Jesse, he would see himself as the bad guy here, I think he'd kill himself over that. This confrontation needs to happen, he has to do some damage of his own (the kind he can live with) before this is over.

That's a good question, who the hell takes care of the baby these days?
Also, was it just me or did Jesse look like 20 years older this episode?
Flag
i still think jessies "revelation" is kinda messy. it kinda makes sense, but it's kind of a leap at the same time.

jessie can easily come to the conclusion that sauls dude swiped his ricin sig like the weed, but since jessie knows that it wasnt the ricin that hurt brock, why does he think walter did it? or is he more upset now because of the deception that led to him helping take out gus?

Flag
Once Jesse realizes Huel swiped the ricin, he knows without a doubt Walt put him up to it. Now he knows for sure Walt was lying about Gus poisoning Brock. Its not hard for him to put the pieces together now. If Walt took the cigarette, then Walts plan to poison brock and turn Jesse against Gus.
Flag
There has to be something to Todd's phone call saying that "there's been a change in management."

obviously there is something to it...he was letting walt know they wasted declan (sp?) /crew and took over
Flag
Even though Todd told his uncle that he felt good about cooking, I don't think that he does. I think that he is reaching out to Mr. White because he knows that he is in over his head. He did set the lab on fire the last time that he cooked.
Flag
I'm also not clear why Walter paying for Hank's surgery factors into anything

they used ILLEGAL DRUG MONEY for their medical bills they couldnt afford.
Flag
Brilliant.
Flag
Here's another one.

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I imagine this material will be regularly used in the future

Flag
aaaah so it doesnt really matter who and how did poisen Brock, in the end Walt was lucky becuase the docters didnt find out for a while, So he only stole the Ricin to make Jesse think that Gus took it to poisen Brock. And Walt poisened him with a plant (maybe it wasnt that dangerous?).
And Jesse was smart enough to figure that out. BUT what I dont get is: Didnt Jesse say to Saul: You poisened Brocke or you stole the Ricin so Walt poisened Brocke? Because if he said that it wouldnt make sense
Flag
jessie didnt know walter had that plant, right? so how would jessie jump to the conclusion that it was walter that poised brock with the plant since he knows it wasnt the ricin.
Flag
Because Jesse has known Walter for a long time now.
Flag
still seems like a stretch to me. but thats cool
Flag
I just posted in response to another person a lengthy breakdown of why it would make sense for Jesse to think Walt was behind it. See my explanation post above.
Flag
He said (roughly) "you stole the ricin cigarette" and "he poisoned Brock". He didn't say that Walt poisoned Brock with ricin.
Flag
If one were to subscribe to the Color theory as outlined here they might find it interesting that Marie is wearing no visible* purple at the Mexican place and instead wearing black which typically symbolizes Death. Perhaps Marie is the next to die? It would sure be Skylar's nail in the coffin on turning on Walter, that's for sure.

Furthermore, and this may be stretching it, but Hank's outfit might mean something too. He is very rarely in purple (see the color theory link above for a nice picture) and could be in it either to symbolize: a) his support for Marie after her possible death, as a normal husband would, or, and this is the crazy theory (but I'm liking it more and more as I think about it), b) Hank is the one that really dies, perhaps to save Marie (reversing the deaths as the colors are reversed in the scene). The second one appeals to me mainly because 1v1 DEA Hank vs. Walter is intense and awesome, but so cliched and limited in a broad sense: stay (if Hank can't prove it) or run (if Hank can). If Hank were to die, it would be unexpected and it would still probably be the straw that broke Skylar, but there is room enough for her to wobble and debate as opposed to if it were Marie that died. I also think it would be more interesting TV to see Walt's world collapse around him from all sides: Skylar, Jesse, Family, DEA (who would look into what Hank was working on while investigating his death, ofc) and how he manages to (if he ultimately does) wiggle around and out of those events like the snake he has become.

*It should be noted that earlier in the episode Marie was in her usual purple, but switched to black later. I also know she has a purple purse and it could have been the one she had with her at the restaurant, however, in the past Breaking Bad has always shown Marie's purple in a very clear manner and after watching the scene a few times over, I am really hard-pressed to see any purple, even in the purse. This leads me to believe it's either a mistake (they went with another shot thinking they had one with clear purple in it) or they were trying to foreshadow something possibly.

TL;DR: Thanks to those who read all my thoughts/babble. :)
More+
Flag
Ive also noticed a lot of color themes. In Confessions when Gomez comes into Hanks office, Gomez was also wearing purple. Also Saul is slowly adding more purple to his outfit. When Jesse is kicking his ass he is wearing purple socks, and a purple pocket thing.

I have also been looking into something else. At the start of the series Walt is wearing green and switches between green and gold. I have also noticed (still looking into it) that when Skylar first gets involved she goes through a green/gold phase. NOW in confessions I saw Saul wearing the green and the gold. Maybe the green and gold represents when someone begins to keep a secret. I really have a suspicion about Saul stealing Walts buried money while he is in NH. There is a perfectly realistic chance that Saul tracked the van.

Flag
According to Walt, family doesn't go to 'Belize'. Is Jesse family? Well, after this, he's out of Walter's adopted son category.
Flag
Going into this episode I expected a slow episode because of the intensity of the first two. Maybe that's why I didn't find it slow at all (even the first 40 min). I've been waiting for the show to find a spot for Jessie in the final season, and right from the beginning of the episode the pieces were coming together to get him in on the action.
Flag
I suspect the DEA will find out soon - within the next 2 episodes but, yes, I agree, it was getting harder to believe that Hank would keep this from them.
Flag
I think I want him to tell Gomie in the next episode, but even that is risky. Gomie may be a lot less willing to give Skyler a break for example.

Hank is going to need evidence to officially start working the case again.
Flag
Jesse should have just gone to Alaska. Though I would have missed him. Nope. Doesn't matter. Should've gone to Alaska.
Flag
I thought the same ;) I love Jesse and I didnt want to see him leave because we need him so Walt gets into trouble - buuut I want a Happy End for him and that prob. wont happen now ;(
Flag
Well, confession is good for the soul. In this case, with a little Heisenberg twist. And I think what really drove Jesse mad was the Hello Kitty phone. There's only so much a man can take.
Flag
I feel like when this all started it was Walt acting like Heisenberg, now with the way he does things and acts it feels like its Heisenberg acting like Walt. Like on the "CONFESSION" tape I have heard before Heisenberg is a better actor the Bryan Cranston lol.
Flag
To be perfectly honest, I've always liked Breaking Bad, but I never thought it was as great of a show that everyone seemed to make it out to be. I know see how stupid I was. Marathoning all of the previous episodes right before the airing of the new episodes was the best decision I have ever made. These new episodes, especially this one, are just phenomenal story telling and great TV. Well done BB, well done.
Flag
that user still doesn't explain how walter poisoned brock with the lilly, walt went of the deep end when gus henchmen killed the brocks brother.. surely walt wasn't that cruel to potentially put that girl through more hell ?

also walt swapped the ricin cig for a harmless 'salt' cig.

So is jessie going insane ? and it's all in his head at this point ?
Flag
That wasn't about the girl or her brother at all, that was only to save Jesse, cause those dealers would've killed him for sure before he got close. For all his manipulation, he cares about him on some level, if it had been anyone else being grilled by Hank on last night's episode, Walt would have definitely killed them without a second thought. We haven't seen how exactly he poisoned the kid, but I think they may just leave that to the imagination. Walt put a salt cig in Jesse's roomba for him to find and kept the real ricin Saul gave back to him hidden in his house. Plus after Gus was dead and everything he threw out the potted lilly of the valley he had in his backyard, looking all guilty and desperate like it was a dead body, it's pretty clear that he definitely poisoned Brock, Jesse's got it right.
Flag
suppose so
Flag
Guys I am a bit lost. I tought Brock was poisoned with Lilly of the valey and it was done either by Walt or Gus. Doctors said to Jessy that it was Lilly and now he decided that it was with ricin from the cigarette.
Flag
Tim just added an update to his post to help clarify!
Flag
Ok i read the update, but still one thing is away. Only we (the viewers) know that Walt is having one of those flowers in his backyard, noone else. And Jessy know it is the flower, that poisoned Brock, not he ricin. And while he know that it is the flower in this episode he turns 180 degrees and says that Brock was poisoned with ricin.
Flag
i agree that it's kinda messy. it kinda makes sense, but it's kind of a leap by jessie. he can easily come to the conclusion that sauls dude swiped his ricin sig like the weed, but since jessie knows that it wasnt the ricin that hurt brock, why does he think walter did it? or is he more upset now because of the deception that led to him helping take out gus? i dont know.
Flag
Jesse doesn't say that it was ricin that poisoned Brock. He says that Saul had Huell steal his ricin-laced cigarettes from his pocket.

Jesse was smart enough to realize that Walter had Saul do this for him to make Jesse think that it was Gus Fring who poisoned Brock. Walter did this to get Jesse to provide information on Gus that would help him kill him. Make sense?
Flag
Hmm yeah, but still its a sloppy writhing for a show like BB. Hope they clarify it in the next episode.
Flag
Flag
Staff
This should alleviate your confusion: http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Ricin
Flag
Thank you, but I am still lost. Brock was poisoned with Lylli from the valey, not ricin and Jessy goes after Walt, becouse he thinks Walt poisoned Brock with ricin, no matter that it was cleared in the last episode of season 4 that it was the flower. Walter poisoned Brock, but jessy cant know that, all he know it is not ricin wich Walt stole from him.
Flag
I think that Jessie knew on some level that what happened to Brock is the doing of Walt, cuz he knows what walt is really like and how he manipulates everybody around him. I think when they swiped his weed he knew that they did the same to the ricin cigarette to make him think it was Gus Fring who poisoned Brock, and after he found out that it wasn't the ricin cigarette, they found the cigarette. IT IS A REASONABLE TO ASSUME THAT JESSIE PUT IT ALL TOGETHER.
Flag
i agree that it's kinda messy. it kinda makes sense, but it's kind of a leap by jessie.

he can easily come to the conclusion that sauls dude swiped his ricin sig like the weed, but since jessie knows that it wasnt the ricin that hurt brock, why does he think walter did it? or is he more upset now because of the deception that led to him helping take out gus? i dont know.
Flag
Supposedly right now he figured out the whole thing, that the ricin was only used to "flip" him, to convince him that Walt had done it, so he would go to his house and would in turn be convinced by Walt that Gus had done it. It seems a little implausible that it came to him just like that, but his first thought back then was that Huell had lifted the ricin off him, so that adds some credibility I guess.
Flag
Yep, that's right. And I think it was a pretty impressively crafted sequence. Jesse looked for his weed and didn't find it, but stared at the same brand of cigarettes we've seen in close up many times before. Instantly, it was clear that Jesse was piecing things together.
Flag
I'm having not trouble believing that Hank can't talk to the DEA about the case. Over the series how many times has Hank had "sort of" evidence. He calls Gus into question about Gale. And Gus had an answer to everything. IN 5A Hank was blasted by his boss for still focusing on the Blue Meth when Gus was dead, and Hank was supposed to be over seeing an entire operation.

He goes in now to say something without hard, solid evidence he'll be laughed out of the building and his job. What does Hank really have that would stand up legally? The closest thing he has is the book with the message in the front.
Flag
About the confession video,

I don't think for a second that walter wants to use it in a courtroom situation.

Walt does not believe that Hank can actually build up a case against him, thus he isn't trying to counter a possible accusation, he is stating that the only way Hank will get him is if he does so himself, outside of the law, and if Hank kills Walt he gets screwed because Walt foresaw it.

He is trying to intimidate Hank into backing off.
Flag
How did the reviewer miss all that tension? Hanks struggle with the truth and the logical steps required to resolve the issue rings real to myself. The guy is stunned- remember the entire series takes place in a short space of realtime. Hanks world for the last 12 months and change has been rocked- explosions, hitmen, car accidents and Heisenberg--now this confession. Cut Hank and the writers some slack.
Flag
Yeah, there ARE "white people" that work at Garduno's here in ABQ. If that was supposed to be funny....it wasn't.
Flag
So far I haven't seen anyone else point this out, but has anyone noticed the the frequent use of color and color contrast that has been used these past three episodes? For the record I am sure someone has mentioned this, I just haven't seen it. This show has always used metaphors in their images and the use of constant cutting scene to scene and less use of camera movement makes every scene look like art, this show is of course film art at it's finest. I don't recall any other show that really excelled so much at the use of "scenes that don't make any sense until later", other than David Lynch's "Twin Peaks" Walt and Skyler have both been wearing white, yes the Whites wearing white lol, while the Schraeders have been wearing dark colored clothing. I think that Walt wearing them is meant as the guy we are rooting for, and Skyler wearing it as well shows that she is in a united front with him. The final shot in the last scene of the first episode is a far away shot of Walt and Hank facing each other, with the lighting it looks like Hank is wearing black, contrasting to Walt's white. I guess in a way this is meant to be ironic since the criminal and his wife who is loyal to him despite all he has done are the ones wearing the light colors which usually reresents the good. While the law enforcement officer and his wife who is loyal to him are wearing the dark usually for evil. Someone pointed out Saul's yellow shirt, and there was also the yellow RC car the kid was playing with outside Hank's house during the confrontation with Walt. There are constant other metaphors besides colors like the use of the number 5 in this episode. One of the Many things that makes this show so brilliant is that they don't flat out tell us what the meanings are, it wants us to think for ourselves
More+
Flag
.. I think it might be your TV :-)
Flag
What about my tv? you want to be more specific there? I talked about a few things. Are are you saying that my tv color is off so much that The Whites AREN't wearing light colors and the Schraders AREN't wearing dark? Or are you saying there HASN't been the repeated use of yellow? it was pointed out to me that Hesinberg in Walt's house in the future was spray painted in yellow as well. Or maybe my tv has a mind of it's own and is showing me different things than other people like the visual metaphors such as the use of the number 5. No offense but how about being just a little less vague?
Flag
You're not the only one who has mentioned this. In a different forum, someone else mentioned how there's one scene where Skyler looks half dark, half light, while Walt looks all dark, denoting the places they are each in, Dark all the way to the dark side, Skyler halfway.
Flag
Flag
I dont understand that Jesse thing tho. Didnt they tell Jesse (and its true) that Broke was poisened with a plant ? So why would he now think that Walt did it with the Ricin?
Flag
Yes, it was Fleur De Lys ... the whole poison thing is not up to par logistically :-)
Flag
Tim just added an update to his post to help clarify the logistics. Ricin was not involved in the poisoning of Brock.
Flag
Staff
Poll
Flag
The Flingers guy was the first thing I thought of when this scene started.
Flag
Walter "I live in fear.....everyday that Hanks will kill me....or even worse hurt my family" - by making them guest star in Under The Dome?
Flag
Jesse needs to go. That whole throwing money out of the car thing was stupid writing in my opinion. Absolutely Silly. I hope Walter puts Jesse out of his misery and ends this character who is in and out of depression for no apparent reason other the writers feel like it.
Flag
... Yeah Jesse is depressed for no reason. It wouldnt have anything to do with murdering many people, waking up to his girlfriend dead in his bed beside him, watching as his business ending up with multiple children dying, watching Todd shoot a kid right infront of him for no reason. You clearly don't pay attention when you watch this show. Jesse is mentally done, so many people were hurt just because of him wanting to make money. If a real person went through all of that, they would be in a super dark and unstable place, all of the things he does like throwing the money out are completely reasonable for someone in his mental state.
Flag
...yes, and that's why he hits rock bottom now after everything is done and over with. So now comes the big "holy shit" what did we do ... let me drive around at night and play Robin Hood. Nope Thanks ,,, Good Bye Jesse
Flag
While this is hardly enough to weaken the show for me, I gotta agree here to a point. A short time ago, VERY short time ago, he wanted his $5 million. So he gets it and suddenly goes into major guilt. Annoying.
Flag
I think it started hitting him when he got out of the business, as long as Walt kept him busy he didn't have sit around and think too much. It happened throughout the series, that's why Walt tried to have him arrested and Fring sent Mike to occupy his time.
Flag
Flag
NO - goodbye Jesse? Are u crazy haha he is the best
Flag
Excellent and entertaining ep... BUT... once again we must suspend disbelief for the sake of the writers' protagonist... 'cause Hank, the "Mighty Meth Kingpin" really needed that loan of $177K to pay medical bills from his cowardly brother-in-law chemist. Yes I'll believe that Hank's just quaking in his Gov't issued DEA boots, having worked an entire career and establishing a reputation as a dedicated crime fighter. This show is indeed entertaining but this is one of the weakest plot devices yet. And after the revelations about Mike and all else we're also to believe that Jessie is just going to willingly meet Walt in the desert and tell him everything he knows. Gee I guess he's 'scurrrred' of Walt too. And Skyler... didn't she loathe and cheat on this cretin at some point? She's going to risk her and the welfare of her children welfare when she could easily cut a deal? She's really going to betray and shut off her own sister... probably her closest friend on earth? Ok
Flag
The 177k doesn't matter in the grander scheme of things. It can be explained in a lot of ways too (ex. Hank doesn't want to let Marie know so he had Walt pay for him). Walt's goal was to make Hank back off by planting the idea in his mind that his colleagues could at least doubt him. It's not to use this in the court of law or whatnot.
Flag
Tim,
I think you were half sleeping when you wrote this article. This was the best episode since Walt killed Gustavo. Walt's confession tape was huge and intense as can be. And then the Jesse realization put it over the top for me. Just not sure what the whole Todd phone call and scene has to do with anything. Are they going to try and persuade Walt to come back to work?
Flag
My thoughts with the Todd scene were that Todd and his new Nazi Dealers will get busted, and as we saw Todd has no problem telling people about what happened while he worked with Walt. So Todd could end up flipping, or those two guys he was talking to. Either way I think Todd is a loose end that is really going to come back to get Walt and he doesn't realize it because of everything else going on. I feel that they aren't going to try to get Walt to cook again.
Flag
Oh yes...please watch Talking BAD. Its great fun and Samuel L Jackson is on this week !
Flag
Anybody who thinks the confession was going to be anything other than it was is probably taking the 'suspension of disbelief meta a little too far. It really could've only been what it turned out to be. Right up 'till the $177,000. I think the writer's wanted a *gotcha* moment so bad they didn't realize that they ended up arguing against themselves. Doesn't take a genius to realize the guy with the money is probably the meth kingpin and the guy borrowing the money isn't.

The point I'm having trouble with is Skyler. Why is Hank not dropping the hammer on her? He knows that the car wash has been Skyler's baby and given Skyler's only work history is as a bookkeeper let's make the leap that maybe we should rip apart those financials and see what pops. At that point RICO is about 10 seconds away and Walt's death does not absolve her of anything. She's involved and he's co-opted her into his criminal enterprise. That isn't accomplice after the fact, it's co-conspirator. She's looking at Life+. You think it would take a superhuman detective to leverage that against her when she has a fairly normal life, two kids, white picket fence etc?

So Walter has a taped confession full of incriminating innuendo and all Hank has to fire back with is a scholarship linking Gale B. to Gus Fring, a diary linking Gale to Walter White, a car wash linking Walter to the money and the money linking Skyler to all of it (none of which conveniently involves Hank in any way.) Oh, and I suppose it's not trivial that Hank can also leverage an entire DEA field office and the ridiculously stacked deck that is the U.S. Federal Court System! 11 seconds after Hank wises up the White children are in a foster home and Skyler's pissing herself in a federal prison for exactly the amount of time it takes her to sign her name to a complete confession.
More+
Flag
Ugh, Skyler is Marie's--the love of his life--sister. It's not that easy.
Flag
Agreed SJ10... never mind that a good day in the field questioning local drugdealers (like those bikers and others) could nail Walt/Heisenburg to the wall.
Flag
I was amazed by the confession video so in a slow episode, that was explosive. I had totally no idea though I suspect it is not really a confession, I never see the threat coming. Yes it was a very convincing performance and if it ever comes to court, I think many jurors would believe Walter White's chemistry teacher being threaten by tough DEA agent bro-in-law story.

Thanks for the replay, I totally missed Huell taking the weed out. I always thought they did not show it. Jesse never suspect Mr. White in the earlier season because he never thought he was capable of such stuff. Now that he knows see clearly the heinsberg in Mr. White, it really makes sense his light bulb when off when he knew his weed was stolen. That is very good writing by the writers.

2 explosive story is already enough for a very good episode !

Now we know how Mr. White house got burnt down, I just wonder if Jesse is the one who wrote Heinsberg on the wall.
Flag
Staff
I thought the set up (slow) was perfect for the payoff (gas can!). Reminded me on the "One Minute" ep with Hank vs Los Pollos Hermanos. I couldnt breathe.
Flag
I don't even know why people are describing the setup as slow. I didn't think there was anything slow about this episode. It was awesome from the start, and then got even more awesome at the end.
Flag
Staff
slow doesn't necessarily mean NOT awesome. I thought it was very good.
Flag
Yes, your comment made that clear. So maybe I should have said what I said in a reply to one of the other ones. Some of them suggested that it was slow in the "useless" sense. Tim even described it as "filler".
Flag
Every other review is saying it's the best most amazing ep of the latest three so far. So I was surprised when this one called it "slow" and totally disagree that it was slow in any way.
Flag
Well, to be clear he said it "almost fooled me into thinking it was filler," which isn't the same as saying it's filler. Just that the pace was slower than expected.

I definitely agree with that - slow and tense is something Breaking Bad does very well, but I do think they are going to shift back towards the more frantic pace of past season finales.
Flag
I think it might have been slower, but was a damn solid episode to say the least!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members