A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

... Breaking Bad writer-producer Peter Gould has tweeted the news that the final two episodes of the series will each run for 75 minutes instead of the usual hour. It's not quite clear whether that means the episodes themselves are longer or just stuffed with more commercials, but either way, this is good news for pharmaceutical companies specializing in anxiety medications, liquor stores, and every poor soul who really, really likes pain and suffering. Which is basically all of us after "Ozymandias," right? [Rolling Stone]

BUSINESS TIME

ABC is developing an event series—come on networks, just call it a miniseries and be done with it—based on Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. It's being written by Evan Daugherty, who's also to blame for Snow White and the Huntsman. The project is titled Esmerelda and will tell the story from the Gypsy Esmerelda's point of view. Okayyyyy then. [Deadline]

... The British are coming... to Hulu! The streaming service has partnered with BBC Worldwide to add 144 shows to its online catalog in the coming weeks. Currently featured series include Luther, Torchwood, Doctor Who, Life on Mars, Robin Hood, and more, with Sherlock on the way. Sadly, for the time being, this is library content, and not new content. Bollocks. [Hulu via press release]

... Who's got a ton of money they would like to donate to a worthy cause? Tony Soprano's track suit, along with other items from his Sopranos wardrobe, is up for auction, and I've been looking for something to wear while I lounge around the house stuffing my face with Doritos. [NY Post]

... Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Dads both premiered to okay numbers last night (6 million viewers and a 2.5 demo rating, and 5.6 million viewers and a 2.1 demo rating, respectively). This is sort of disappointing for Brooklyn Nine-Nine, which I've heard called the best new comedy of the fall (by me, and obviously what I say is law). As for Dads? The network is probably just happy anyone tuned in after the series was universally panned by critics. Also: You should read Tim's reviews of both shows! [EW]

... Netflix was ready to swoop in on Better Call Saul, the Saul Goodman-focused Breaking Bad spin-off, if AMC and Sony had been unable to come to a licensing agreement. Look I don't really care where I watch it, just so long as I get to watch it. [THR]

... This Sunday's Emmy Awards will pay tribute to two big moments in TV history, and neither of them are Game of Thrones' Red Wedding episode so I'm kind of confused. Instead, the telecast will celebrate two 50th-anniversary milestones, specifically the coverage of the assassination of President John F. Kennedy in 1963 (and hopefully not the act itself) and The Beatles' first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1964. [CBS via press release]

... Bravo some premiere dates (and one premiere ballpark) today. The network will air Queer Eye for the Straight Guy reunion called Queer Eye for the Straight Guy: 10 Years Later this October. November will see the premieres of The Real Housewives of Atlanta and Fashion Queens on November 3, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and Vanderpump Rules on November 4, Shahs of Sunset on November 5, and the series debut of Thicker Than Water—which is self-dubbed the "Black Brady Bunch”—on November 10. [Bravo via press release]

... USA is branching out and developing a daytime programming block. Beginning September 24 from 11am to 3pm, Cat Greenleaf will provide viewers with pop-culture news and commentary, as well as interviews with celebrities and USA talent. Just tell me what day Gabriel Macht will be on so I can set my DVR and continue not watching USA during the day. [NBC via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Jere Burns, who has spent the last four years as recurring character Wynn Duffy on Justified, has finally been upped to a series regular on the FX drama. This is fantastic news for fans, but probably not-so-great news for Timothy Olyphant's Raylan Givens. An increased presence in Season 5 probably spells more trouble for Harlan County. Quick, everyone make your predictions for how Duffy and the Wynnebago are going to fit into Season 5, which will be focused on the Florida-based Crowe Clan. [Deadline]

... Taye Diggs is visiting New Girl! He'll play Artiea "self-assured ladies’ man" who Jess and Cece meet at a bar while Nick is preoccupied with guys' night. But it's not just any guys' night, because the episode also marks the return of Damon Wayans Jr.'s character, Coach. The episode is slated to air later this fall. [EW]

REQUIRED VIEWING (FOR FANS OF THE WEST WING, ANYWAY)

Allison Janney brought back "The Jackal" on the The Arsenio Hall Show last night and it's worth a watch. [Gawker

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Yup, turned out it just meant more commercials.
Flag
netflix currently offers sherlock and I wonder if this hulu deal is going to affect that.
Flag
Between The Miserables and the upcoming Esmeralda, Victor Hugo must be spinning in his grave.
Flag
can't wait for Coach to come back on new girl!!
Flag
I watch every episode of Breaking Bad as it airs and just to be safe I have it set to record and run 15 minutes late every week, so no worries here.

Double dose of great news for Justified. Jere Burns is fantastic as Wynn Duffy and season full of Crowes will be a ton of fun to watch.
Flag
50th anniversary milestones but NO Doctor Who? Something's wrong with this picture.
Flag
The Jackal! That was almost as awesome as the time she did it on The West Wing!
Flag
In a seperate yet not unrelated topic Jere Burn's eyebrows freak the shit out of me.
Flag
Staff
I was going to use a different photo that highlighted them even more but chose better of it for that reason.
Flag
I've seen all of the BBC shows I'm interested in anyway, if I want to rewatch I'd just get the Blu-rays lol also,don't watch Robin Hood unless you want to get pissed off in the series 1 and 3 finales.
Flag
Staff
I just skipped season 3 all together actually.
Flag
I wish I had, it made me even madder than season 1.
Flag
I could have sworn they were writing Duffy out. What with the whole "I'm gonna piss off to Georgia now, you get my spot in the regional drug trade" ending.
Flag
For what should be obvious reasons, I, and probably many others, have not seen a lot of BBC programming, or need to catch up on what little we may have been able to see, so calling it sad that it's only their library of content for 144 shows is kind of dumb. What is sad is that it apparently requires a Hulu Plus membership for much of it.
Flag
Unlike another show that has nothing but 90-minute episodes, Breaking Bad is a show that actually has 75 minutes worth of great tv. Yes, I know it's not actually 75 minutes, but you know what I mean.
Flag
I seriously don't understand how the BBC could partner with Hulu, owned by commercial broadcasters. That's gonna suck for fans trying to catch up on Doctor Who having to sit through 5 ads every few minutes. I wonder if this will cover the upcoming no-longer-lost classic Doctor Who material.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Dads were up against nothing, of course new content will trump reruns. The question is whether they were strong enough for Fox to capture the audience next week when ABC's Agents of SHIELD and CBS's NCIS come in and crush its balls. The answer of course is "no, they're not".

USA is grabbing some sweet TMZ and E! market for daytime? Sounds grea... zzzzz. Gluk! Huh? Wha? Oh! Sorry, what was I saying? I dozed off in the middle of that sentence, I guess.

Oh what? How many goddamned villains on Justified that were meant to be in and out are going to become regulars by the time this show is over?!? Raylan Givens is going to end up a minor character at this rate. Oh, and PS - thanks for the spoiler warning there.
Flag
When we factor in that it's Fox and that it was on par with all the other shows from last night, I'm not surprised by Brooklyn Nine-Nine's numbers and I'm not too worried. I feel like I didn't see Fox heavily promoting things until last week so some people may have just missed it.
Flag
I think that Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Dads would have done better if their timeslots had been reversed. Since Brooklyn Nine-Nine was the better reviewed and more hyped of the two it should have had the lead off position, possibly getting higher viewer numbers which may have then stuck around for Dads. Dads though already suffered from bad reviews and controversy. which likely caused a lot of people to stay away and not come back when it was time for Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Of course, Fox may have been smart in putting the shows where they were for fear of having Dads drive away viewers from New Girl which is a proven property.

That said, I enjoyed Brooklyn Nine-Nine and hopefully it will gather more viewers. If Dads does end up getting canned Fox may have a lineup with Raising Hope, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, New Girl, and The Mindy Project.

Dads may have legs though, it is tough to tell because it is still early on. The show seems to be banking on Seth MacFarlanes fan base and those who enjoy similar humor to tune in and it will be up to those viewers to do. One problem it may have is simply its format. Right now all the other comedies in the lineup are multi-camera while Dads returns to the single camera format with a laugh track, a format that has lost favor over the years with only CBS having any that really come to mind.

Now about the Emmy's and its tribute to 50th anniversaries. While I know it will never win and Emmy, though it should, there is another show that is turning 50 this year, Doctor Who. Sure it may not be big in the US but it is still one of the longest running series in television history, shouldn't that get some recognition on televisions biggest night?
More+
Flag
I think Fox wanted audiences to watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and then not abandon the network at 8:30, but stick around until the show at 9pm, so putting Dads on first was their best shot at building the audience rather than hemorrhaging it.
Flag
I know they don't publish the viewing figures with this much detail, but I'd love to see what the drop-off rate was for Dads. I expect it plummeted about 5 minutes in when people that it was a comedy show without the comedy.
In comparison I'd expect Brooklyn Nine-Nine to have very little drop-off because it was actually funny, kinda like Police Squad without the slapstick
Flag
"The Jackal"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And people, watch "Brooklyn Nine-Nine". It's pretty darn awesome.
Flag
So the BB episode will basically be HBO-length episodes. 10 more minutes of gut-wrenching tension.
Flag
I really like Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I was watching it with my sister while waiting for the premiere of New Girl (they make for a great comedy hour, btw) and even though she had never heard of it that half hour convinced her to go home and add it to her dvr.
Flag
I don't feel that the ratings for Brooklyn 99 took into account the amount of viewers that turned off their TV's after Dads and had to take a half hour walk in order to talk themselves out of selling their TVs.
Flag
Brooklyn Nine-Nine was so good, Fox has a great comedy hour in their hands with New Girl and B99.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS