A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

Breaking Bad S05E14: "Ozymandias"

On the next episode of Low Winter Sun... ha, just kidding guys. Those words were like children kicking the back of my seat while watching Breaking Bad's relentless "Ozymandias," an hour of television that will not be easy to sleep off. But seriously, Low Winter Sun had been one of the most grim, humorless, bleak shows on television and it now looks like Romper Room compared to what transpired over one of the most brutal episodes of television that will ever haunt my life. If the previous episode "To'hajiilee" was designed to blow up our hearts like balloons with pulse-racing intensity and anticipation, "Ozymandias" was here to stomp on them like old bubble wrap with frightening finality, always finding one more little packet of hope to burst when we thought there were no more. This was one difficult episode to get through, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

There's no real good place to start–Hank, Holly, Walt Jr., Jesse, Skyler?–so I'll start where "Ozymandias" started, at the beginning. The choice to open with a flashback to Walter and Jesse's first cook and overlay the Methmobile RV on top of the shootout from "To'hajiilee" was brilliant story-wise and a savvy way to prepare the audience as much as it could for what was to come. It was, in a sense, the show's way of saying, "Hey, remember when things used to be light? Remember when Walt had to practice lying? Remember when Skyler's worst problems were getting rid of scary dolls? (Also, check out these knives!) Well, things are different now." I LOVED the vehicles fading out, by the way. It was wonderful visual poetry about the beginning and the end of Walter's kingpin life. And it's good we were momentarily transported back to the past because it would multiply the devastation we would feel through the rest of the episode. And make no mistake, the point of "Ozymandias" was to devastate, and it did its job very well.

The greatest question of the week was answered awfully fast: Steve Gomez didn't make it out of that initial shootout, as people standing in front of a bunch of hicks with automatic weapons in a firefight usually do. Hank made it though! For a few more minutes at least. And he was defiant until the very end, realizing that the fight was already over and that the best he could do was tell all these jerks–Walt included–to go have sexual intercourse with themselves. There will be some talk about whether or not Hank was given a proper sendoff, and to that I say, well, this is Breaking Bad. And Hank's death was a perfect example of how "Ozymandias" moves forward unrelentingly with an air of realism that seemed impossible for television.

Hank's death reminded me a lot of Mike's death–it just happened. Nothing too ceremonial, just a rather distant shot of a body toppling over, another body left in the wake of Walter's poor decisions. And because of the previous episode and all the possibilities it presented, I was more emotionally prepared for Hank's death in "Ozymandias." Psychologically, I don't know, it was just easier having a week to prepare for it. Or maybe it's because we didn't have any time to let it linger because "Ozymandias" was just getting started on its parade of sorrow. 

When Jesse was pulled out from underneath the car after Walter gave him up, you wouldn't have been alone if you thought Hank and Gomez would have to share their final resting place with Mr. Pinkman. I braced myself so hard I melded with my couch but the gunshot never came. Jesse even turned up to the heavens, perhaps a nod to Game of Thrones's penultimate Season 1 episode, accepting his fate. But no, it was Todd who would save Jesse's life, at least in that moment. And to be honest, Todd's excuse for saving Jesse's life–he could tell them what he told the DEA–always sounded a little suspect.

This scene also pulled one of those nagging threads out of the darkness. Walter, still entirely enraged at Jesse for selling him out to the DEA, had one more round to fire off at Jesse: the truth about how he watched Jane die and did nothing to prevent it. And the thing about him saying it was that he didn't have to, he wanted to. He hates Jesse so much right now (it makes me wonder what Walter would do if Todd chooses not to kill Jesse). Walter did everything he could to prevent Hank's death and wept when Hank was taken out, but he would have loved to see what Jesse's real brains looked like splattered out on the desert floor. Frankly, I'm shocked that Walter agreed to let Jack and Todd take Jesse for a little post-morten sitdown chat.

And maybe Jesse would have preferred having his skull opened up compared to what's looks to be in store for him, which was something more out of a bad horror movie than Breaking Bad. Todd's plan was to treat Jesse like his tarantula in a jar, imprisoning Jesse in the White Power Lab to do some cooking. I know people are weirded out by Todd, and you should be, but dammit, this kid wants to learn! He is taking his job seriously and wants to learn how to cook meth from the best. And if he needs to inspire his teacher by showing a picture of Brock and Andrea as a warning, so be it. Much respect, Todd! But don't act all surprised when you win The Big Creep award.

However, all that torture-slave stuff and Hank's death would be rather mellow compared to the family fallout. Family has always been the heart of Breaking Bad, and Vince Gilligan ripped it out like Mola Ram in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, letting it spray blood all over the audience while cackling maniacally. For all the drug dealing and murder, is there anything worse than seeing a son who once worshipped his father realize his father was a fraud? The entire sequence from Skyler and Marie telling Walt Jr. the truth about his dead to Walter storming out of the house with Holly was the most affecting stretch of this series that has been all-too powerful so many times.

For as much as Walter wanted the money, he would have paid 100 times the amount and baked a million more trays of crystal blue persuasion to keep his family. But here they were cowering and raising cutlery against him, physically struggling and rolling around on the ground of the room they've shared so many bacon breakfasts. His family had abandoned him. There was no harder image to see than Skyler and Walter Jr. on the ground, staring at Walter like he was a monster while he bellowed, "What the hell is wrong with you? We're a family!!!" And there was nothing tougher for Walter than to see his own son call the cops on him and tell them that his dad might hurt them.

I mean, geez, show! I got two black puffy eyes from watching this unforgiving episode. But the punches would continue when Walter ripped Holly from her hole and took off with her. I never thought Walter took Holly to spite Skyler. I think that in the moment, Walter grabbed the only part of his family that didn't hate him in a last-ditch effort to keep some semblance of it. Yet even Holly was done with her dad, saying "Mama" as her first words (I think) and slapping some sense into Walter after he had cooled down a bit and performed a gas-station diaper change. 

There will be a lot of people who hate Walter even more after this episode, but I saw a big step towards contrition in the face of finality. Yeah, he couldn't convince Skyler and Walt Jr. to pack up and leave with him, but as soon as he realized it, he left to get out of their lives as much to avoid the cops as to keep them out of his problems. I'll chalk the Holly abduction to mismanaged emotions and poor decision making caused by distress, but the phone call to Skyler was about the best thing he could have done in that situation. He cleared Skyler of prior knowledge of his actions and did what he always tried to do: protect his family. He knew the cops were there and his anger was a clever charade to take the blame all himself because he's the one who was really screwed here, and if you look at it from just the right angle you might even find it romantic in a totally messed-up way.

In the end, Walter knew the best thing to do was to return Holly, get as far away as possible, and erase himself as well as he could. It's surprising Saul's man would help him realize that dream after Jesse stood him up, but Walter entered the red minivan and drove away with his barrel o' cash to get that fresh start. That doesn't mean he's done in Albuquerque, though. Walter's last words in the episode are, "I've still got some things to do," and we know he'll be back to finish them soon.

"Ozymandias" was terrific and awful to watch, a powerful piece of television that transcended fiction with the brutal way it closed a chapter on a family we've spent six years with and gotten to know. Even though we knew the day would come when Walter White's choices would cut him off from his family, "Ozymandias" delivered something even more horrifying than what we could have imagined. Maybe it's the morose air of "Ozymandias" or the crushing feeling leftover from watching it, but this is feeling like more than an end to a series, this is feeling like the end of a part of me.

NOTES

– Every time I think I know exactly why Walter is coming back in the flashforwards, something else sounds a lot better. He could be coming back for his money, he could be coming back for revenge (on either the white supremacists or Jesse), or he could be coming back for his family.

– All the early desert stuff (Hank and Gomez dying) came before the real credits rolled. By that time, the episode could have said "Guest starred (past tense) Steven Michael Quezada." 

– Half of the horror from this episode came from knowing what Marie didn't: that Hank was dead.

– Anna Gunn! Step up and collect your Emmy. Dean Norris, your Emmy is right over here, too. And Bryan Cranston, hope you have room for one more. 

– I still think the second half of "To'hajiilee" was the highlight of the season so far, but "Ozymandias" was consistently outstanding for the entire episode.

– Walter looked like a dung beetle rolling that barrel around the desert.

– Todd: "Sorry for your loss." Thanks, buddy!

– Todd walked over to Walter's car and told Jack he didn't see Jesse, but it would have been awfully hard for Todd to miss him. Did he see Jesse and not say anything? He wanted to save his life when he asked Jack to spare him to get info out of him, but did he try and save his life before by not saying anything? Am I crazy to think the Todd must have seen Jessie before? Does it matter?

– I'm going to watch The Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones to cheer up.

– Like I said before, no screeners from here on out so this written a bit rushed. It's also super late, so I may add some stuff tomorrow when my brain has properly processed the episode.

Let's hear it: What did you think?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

603 Comments
Comments (603)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You missed an option off the poll

'My, mind, body and soul are all shattered. I hated it'
Flag
This is the episode description for "Granite state"

Events set in motion long ago move toward a conclusion. We flash forward to the events that take place in New Hampsire. (Written and directed by Peter Gould.)

Theory's before tomorrow night?
Flag
I think Jessie might escape them.Run to Andrea and Brock and get the hell out.Just a theory.
Flag
Yeah, yeah, yeah, spam. But really. I do love Breaking Bad, and Ozymandias was one of the best and hardest to watch shows ever.

My friends and I just released our 2nd Breaking Bad bonus episode. Every Monday, the 3 of us talk about the latest episode. After a few weeks, we cut the segments together and release a bonus episode of our movie/tv podcast: The Obsessive Viewer.

The first episode covers Blood Money, Buried and Confessions. It can be found here: [url]http://obsessiveviewer.com/2013/08/28/the-obsessive-viewer-podcast-ep-12-bonus-ep-breaking-bad-the-final-episodes-part-1/[/url]

The most recent episode covers Rabid Dog, To'hajiilee and Ozymandias. You can find it here: [url]http://obsessiveviewer.com/2013/09/18/the-obsessive-viewer-podcast-ep-16-bonus-ep-breaking-bad-the-final-episodes-part-2/[/url]

We're going to release the third podcast ep after the series finale. We'd really like to hear what people think is going to happen in the final two eps. We'd also love to hear about your favorite episodes and moments from the series.

Here's our iTunes link as well: [url]https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-obsessive-viewer-podcast/id665181675[/url]
Flag
Does anyone else have the feeling that Walter is going to have a final shootout with Todd and family in order to save Jesse? Thus in the end saving him but dying?
Flag
You're not alone.

He doesn't have anything left, his familys gone, he's all alone having plenty of time coming to senses.

Cause let's face it: he did not only poison the kid, he did not only let Jane die – he was also the one pleading for Todd to still remain in the gang after the train heist. He will come to senses and eventually find out that Jesses heart and moral senses were actually in a right place and remind him of who Walter White once was. I don't know how he will find out that Jesses still there – it could be that he somehow gets ahold of the blue stuff which will still be on the market. But if he does, he will come for the save, not intending to get out of there alive.
Flag
«I'm going to watch The Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones to cheer up.»

You've just won the Internet, sir. Please come and take the keys.
Flag
way to go Rian Johnson! good work!
Flag
– Walter looked like a dung beetle rolling that barrel around the desert.
– I'm going to watch The Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones to cheer up.

You sir, are on a roll!
Flag
I remember him from Wiseguy. For those of you who watch Breaking Bad, you might like this. The guy is all right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHCod3tu-JU
Flag
WTF- i didn't know tv can look like that. what an amazing episode, such incredible actors, Vince Gilligan is so fucking talent
Flag
I think the show is trying a little too much to make us hate Walter. That is what I don't like. It all seems a little to "scarface-y" right now. If Walter dies from an OD of the blue meth, while trying to make a last stand against Uncle Mike's men or DEA, I'm gonna smash my TV on somebody face. :(
Flag
I personally think the show challenges us now to love Walter. I think that is how it has been set up from the very beginning.
Flag
And we fucking do!
Flag
Bob Odenkirk was mentioned in the starting credits, but no such lukch. There was no place for light here.

:-)
Flag
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2301451/?ref_=tt_ep_nx
Flag
I know this topic is old but I just can’t stop thinking about this terrific episode.
So here are a few more things that popped into my head
- Todd was staring at Jesse for a while in the start of the episode, yet turned around and said he wasn’t there. I guess he really wanted to save Jesse. I'd love to pick his brain some more.
- The season’s tagline is “Remember my name” and Hank’s name might as well have been Ahab Ceely.
Flag
I thought for sure that Jesse was going to be shot when they jumped from him to a few birds in the sky. Good fake out.
Flag
I love Breaking Bad but I think the last episode was better than "Ozymandias". The first few minutes were fantastic though! My heart stopped when they shot Hank! The silence that followed was perfect (as if to give us a moment to let it sink in!)

But there were a lot of things that didn't make sense considering the characterizations. Only the "high and mighty" Marie was consistently in character.

First off --- I don't buy it that someone like Walt Jr. who puts Walt in a pedestal to just stand to her dad like that ESPECIALLY when Walt was the one bleeding.... Cmon, it was a total overreaction. And this while still processing the news that his dad is a drug lord??? Sorry, I just don't buy it, as heroic as it seemed.

Skylar --- uhm, hello? It was just 2 episodes ago that he was telling Walt to kill Jesse Pinkman. So are we supposed to believe now that you've turned all white just because your sister came to confront you to gloat? I don't fully buy the freak out and drawing out the knife.

Walt - for someone who's overly careful and cautious, I really really don't understand how Walt can just blurt out everything carelessly over the phone. Especially when he knows Walt Jr already involved the cops. It's just far-fetched that he'd go as far as threaten Skylar and actually say that he's behind Hank's death.

It was as if the writers became careless already just for the sake of creating intense scenarios.

PS: Can you just let Jesse die already??? Put him out of his misery already.
More+
Flag
Seems to me like you didn't read the review nor understand the characters that much. Well, that sux for you. Sorry
Flag
Man, seriously, pay some attention, will you? Walt knew that the cops could hear him. He made the call to clear Skyler of any charges.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Wow,it's like you didn't read any of the comments or the review itself.Walt blurted out everything over the phone to protect Skyler and put all blame on himself.He knew the cops were their.And Walt Jr jumping his dad like that was called for.He was fighting skyler for the knife,Walt then got the knife and put his hand up to Skyler's neck area.So in Jr's mind.Oh no,he might kill my mom and hey,they did say he was a drug lord.Skyler pulling the knife was because she knew from what Marie told her that he was supposed to have been arrested by Hank.So he's not in cuffs and Hank is no where to be seen?Hmmm,i think I may need to rethink my motives.She was right to pull the knife.
Flag
I was going to say a similar thing last night but got sidetracked. I think it's more like not understanding the characters on top of not reading the reviewing! Anyway, all power to WW, maybe not so much as a person but as a character. Which is obviously the point of an anti-hero - you can't help but love him/her despite what they do. As much as we all might root for Jessie as a person, I think that you're missing the fun if you don't root for WW over everything and everyone :p
Flag
*review... omg how much does this site need an edit function. I see people mention this time and time again. Some people, like myself, hate making mistakes so will go to the trouble of correcting anything. Give us an edit function!!!!!!!!!
Flag
My favorite tv show and one of my favorite episodes, if not my favorite episode.
Hell has frozen over--> I have no complaints about your review Tim! Fantastic review---finally;-) lol

Flag
I haven't been able to read through the all the comments yet so I don't know if this has been brought up earlier and has been answered. Stellar episode, perfect. One question, though. Why didn't Walt offer his meth services to Jack rather than the money? I mean, it's what Jack and co. wanted in the first place. But yeah, I also get that their negotiation began with the discussion of why Walt and Hank was in the desert in the first place, so the money was on Walt's mind. Plus, he was in a panic.
Flag
He can't offer his services in front of Hank. If Jack lets them go and he goes back to cooking, Hank will finally have a reason to put him in. Whereas offering the money will actually get rid of the evidence that he is Heisenberg.
Flag
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for that!
Flag
Not to nitpick,but I'm questioning a few things that took place in the last couple of episodes.First what kind of lung cancer and chemotherapy allow Walt to dig a cavernous hole,man handle multiple very heavy 55 gallon drums full of cash and then fill in said hole all in the desert heat? What level of greed and stupidity would be necessary to continue to cook meth after coming into about 70 million dollars?
Flag
For Todd, I don't think it's about the greed of money, I believe he's greedy about improving his cooking skills. Eastern Europe still wants its blue meth back.
Flag
He's not that sick. The cancer was almost completely gone, and has just started to return.
Flag
I watched the episode yesterday. I am still traumatised.
Flag
I think that everybody had forgotten the fact that Walt had a baby daughter up till now. :-)

Yes, this episode was bleak, depressing and awesome. Although my predictions from the midseason finale came true (the machine gun is men for the aryan brotherhood), it still surprises me.

But because everybody is bouncing with praise, here are some critical notes:

- Pretty stupid of walt to put all of his eggs in one basket.
- More stupid of Hank to go in alone, without back up, knowing everything Walt did (including killing a dozen inmates within minutes).
- Jesse could have offered to cook way before they tortured him. He knew Todd was the new cook and he knew how important the heisenberg quality is.
- Same goes for Walt, if he wanted to save Hank, he could have taken charge and tell the boys that he will not cook if they kill him, and he will cook 110% heisenberg if he lives. There were little scenarios to keep hank alive, but this would have been one. ome to think of it. If they left Hank there in the desert with a barrel. He would have been the main suspect of the heisenberg emperium and the killing of his partner. Specially with the tape.

More+
Flag
- I agree. Walt should have thought about scattering his fortune
- This, I understand. Hank can't get any back-up just yet because up to that point, they didn't have any physical evidence against Walt that's why they haven't involved DEA yet (with the exception of Gomez)
- I don't think Jesse has an idea of the continuous meth operations. I remember he fell out of touch with Walt after Mike's death.
- He can't offer his services in front of Hank. If Jack lets them go and he goes back to cooking, Hank will finally have a reason to put him in. Whereas offering the money will actually get rid of the evidence that he is Heisenberg.
Flag
- Still, Hank was too reckless, which wasn't in sync with his character. He had already bugged the car and it would have been easy to trace up to the point where walt stopped. And didn't anybody consider binoculars? You don't have to park your car in front of somebody.

- Jesse knew about Todd and his training. EWven though he wasn't aware of the current status of the operation, he could have offered his services anyway. Walt and Jesse used this exact same thing to force Gus not to kill Jesse.

- I didn't say Hank should go, they could have kept him alive, but locked up untill they would be able to convince him to work for them. It's nice to have a brother in law who works for the DEA. :-)

Flag
It's gone downhill ever since Walt retired, or since he blew up Gus Frayne, apart from the train robbery it's been lame.
Flag
Downhill? Lame? What the hell are you talking about? The last 2 episodes of the show have been perfect suspenseful television. One of the greatest cliffhangers ever immediately followed by the darkest episode in television history in my opinion.
Flag
You're talking about your opinion. He is clearly just giving his. Aren't you glad all humans don't share a hive mentality? I know I am. For this reason, you and I were able to enjoy something that ABCRobbieB was apparently unable to.
Flag
Don't bring opinions to a fact fight. He's clearly wrong.

:-)
Flag
interesting point of view.
Flag
Love the show. The best on TV, like ever but there was one technical error on the episode (fantastic one BTW). Walt lost his glasses on the previous one and at the beginning of this he has them on. Was there anyone else in the car :)
Flag
and i mean the nazi gang, not skylar of course...

Flag
This episode was absolutely incredible, these people KNOW how to make good TV! Scratch that; PERFECT TV. On one side, I really don't want the show to end, but on the other side, I KNOW that these episodes are perfect because they're ending on a high note.

I really, really expected Skylar to be stabbed by the knife during her fight with Walt, but I'm so glad she didn't! What I've been thinking since ep 9 is that Walt is going to use the Ricin on himself, but I hope I'm wrong. That would just be too predictable for Breaking Bad.
Flag
This episode was really good. Hank wasn't the good guy he thought himself to be ...he needed to die. And, how awesome that Jesse has become Todd's bitch. I'm sure there's more dying to be done in the final episode. I can't see Walt walking away from all of this, but I hope he does. I don't get how Skylar & Walt Jr. so easily turned against Walt...that was a real travesty.

I'm guessing there will be one final standoff between Walt & Jesse in the finale. I wonder if either one will be left standing.
Flag
Okay this is where idiot fans ruin it for me. People saying Hank is a bad guy and not understanding why Skyler and Walt Jr. are terrified? Walt is the biggest scumbag in TV history and people are so twisted they rationalize everything. It's creepy. You are missing the entire point of the show. Hank 'needed' to die? If Gilligan is true to his word then Jesse is gonna shove blue crystals up Walt's bum until he splits in two. At least that's what I want to happen. If you are a normal human without mental issues you should hate Walt now. And Walt telling Jesse about Jane just shows how juvenile and pathetic he really is. He is not a bad-ass or big time gangster. He's a low-life with a small penis complex. It wasn't about him becoming a gangster, it was about his insecurities getting bigger and bigger. He acts like a 16 year old girl who got her boyfriend stolen by her best friend. Whining like a baby to Jesse before the Mexico trip. And his tough guy act got so lame by Season 4. I was rooting for Gus and Jesse by the end of Season 4 and have been rooting for Jesse the whole time. Walt started their relationship with a blackmail. I think Walt was a scumbag from the very beginning because he was so bitter about Grey Matter. I always wondered if he was going to go and kill Gretchen and whatever his name is in the Finale because that would conclude his ultimate reason for the need to create his 'Empire'. But the point is Walt isn't a man, he's a low-life. And people going after Jesse for turning Walt in? What did you want him to do? People need to take a lesson in screenwriting and basic intro to film. Jesse looked up and saw two birds and they either criss-crossed or collided. So I think Walt is going to end up in Jesse's spot, tortured and killed (I hope). The Sopranos did the same thing with Tony; trying to get us to hate him by the end of it. But that wasn't as forced because the character was already established, we just saw the closer side of it. Walt with "I watched Jane die..I could've saved her but I didn't!..NaNaNaNaNaaaNaaa!!!" What a loser LOL. Then when he came home and is like "We're fine! But we gotta go!" Brilliant brilliant show. But if people compare it to The Sopranos they are insane.
More +
Flag
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. Because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I'm "twisted," have "mental issues," or "missing the entire point of the show." There are many gray areas in this show, which is what makes it great. Yes...Walt has done many black deeds, but so has Jesse. Jessee has been sniveling and whining about Mike all season, and is hell-bent on taking Walt down, going so far as becoming a snitch. So, it's no surprise that Walt has turned the tables on Jesse. It has been awesome watching Walt transform into a villain, while managing to keep some semblance of humanity. It has also been interesting to see Jesse wallowing in depression and self-pity. It's no surprise to see people taking one side or the other because there is no "right answer."
Flag
Hank needed to die because he wasn't a good guy? What are you talking about? Also, see my comment about that "travesty" below.
Flag
Hank would go to any length to get his guy...lie...cheat...kill. Just because he is the "law" doesn't make him good. I think many cops are as bad as the perps they are chasing.
Flag
Hank was going a little overboard, but i don't see him as "bad" as Walt.
He sure was obssessed, but he never went full measures to get Walt.
Flag
''I don't get how Skylar & Walt Jr. so easily turned against Walt...that was a real travesty.''

It's almost as if the whole thing was staged. I guess theyre doing it for irony because it isnt terribly believable. Its still great programming either way.
Flag
Skyler did it because she understood that if Walt is at home, then Hank is probably dead. And Junior finally accepted that Skyler and Marie had told him the truth. There's nothing about it that's hard to believe.
Flag
Thats why they turned against Walt. it doesnt explain why they turned against him so easily. They never gave him the benefit of the doubt. Walt was asking them to get ready and go , 30 seconds later Skylar cut him with a knife. With all that Walt did for the care and protection of them Skylar cut him and Junior called the police on him, ( like he would actually hurt them), Rather than getting their stuff, leaving and allowing him to explain later. Skylar knew Hank wanted to lock Walt up, and refused to stand by her man. She antagonized Walt more than anyone else in the world.

And yes, it is hard to believe, obviously not for some people, but we don't all see things the same way.
Flag
– Todd: "Sorry for your loss." Thanks, buddy!

ha that made me laugh. Todd be so crazy.

– Todd walked over to Walter's car and told Jack he didn't see Jesse, but it would have been awfully hard for Todd to miss him. Did he see Jesse and not say anything? He wanted to save his life when he asked Jack to spare him to get info out of him, but did he try and save his life before by not saying anything? Am I crazy to think the Todd must have seen Jessie before? Does it matter?

you are not crazy, but no i guess it really doesnt matter

Flag
Todd just wants to get his meth nice and blue... he doesn't care about money ....

knowledge is power... he's a better student than jessie ... walter would be proud of him ..

but he's a fucking idiot ... jessie will murder him... in his sleep ...
Flag
Tim makes an interesting point. Maybe that has to do with a twist in the next episode. If and that's an if they kill Jesse in the next episode surely they won't kill him immediately. But I did say the same about Hank.
Flag
Are the white supremacists even on board with this? They basically just let Walt off the hook, because hey, they have 70 million dollars now and don't need him to cook anymore. Could be Todd needs to keep delivering to Lydia, but he didn't even tell his uncle and pals what he planned on doing, he said he would question and then kill Jesse. Is this Todd being a psycho and going solo to try and improve his purity to impress Lydia and possibly Walt, or is this part of the plan?
Flag
Exactly. As great as Breaking Bad is and it is AWESOME, there are plenty of holes. But Todd definitely wanted Walt and Jesse to live and he definitely saw Jesse underneath. His facial expressions filled with guilt gave it away. Did anyone notice a little aircraft in the cooking room at the end with Jesse and Todd? Is he going to fly him and Brock and Andrea to Mexico and give him a cut of the money after he teaches him the recipe? They are obviously showing Todd is not being honest to his uncle, not completely. Remember Todd talking in awe of Mr. White and Jesse during the train heist? I was hoping Skyler ended up in prison and still do. She's getting a pass. And tbh, Walt wouldn't have put it all on himself. He's either a sociopath or he isn't. These people kill their wives if they get in the way. You just don't have the "family is off limits" cop out when the psyche is that severe. Now he thought of his kids I bet, maybe. But at that point he was completely insane fighting with the knife, kidnaps the baby, and all the while comes up with this great plan not to implicate Skyler? Contradictory a bit.
More +
Flag
i guess now we know who the ricin is for...
Flag
He cleared Skyler of prior knowledge of his actions and did what he always tried to do: protect his family. He knew the cops were there and his anger was a clever charade to take the blame all himself because he's the one who was really screwed here, and if you look at it from just the right angle you might even find it romantic in a totally messed-up way.

100% agree. some people seemed confused by that call, but he was doing it to clear Skyler.
Flag
I was confused while it was happening, too many things were happening, but then it seemed pretty obvious. He never treated Skyler that badly before. Giving the baby back confirmed it. He also gave up on his family's love, which seems a big deal to me, since he was never able to let Skyler go and always forced himself on her. Also, Skyler might have recognized that call for what it was but Walt Jr certainly didn't, to him that was real and his opinion of his dad sank even lower, and Walt knew that would happen. I know he had no choice, he couldn't exactly go back, but he didn't have to make that call either. Just saying, with all the horrible stuff he did in this episode, that last one was sorta maybe kinda nice.
Flag
I thought it was obvious almost immediately after he started to talk as if he believed that there were no cops there. Then 10 seconds or so later, when they showed us that Skyler finally understood it too (when he talked about having made threats that he had never actually made), it was officially confirmed, and impossible to doubt it.
Flag
Todd is a great character. loved that scene in the lab.

Flag
Yes, he has turned into one. I didn't really like him at first. Maybe because I had binged all seasons of Friday Night Lights about six months before he showed up on Breaking Bad. He was still Landry to me. Now he's Todd.
Flag
never saw it...still meaning to at some point.
Flag
– All the early desert stuff (Hank and Gomez dying) came before the real credits rolled. By that time, the episode could have said "Guest starred (past tense) Steven Michael Quezada."

Yeah, that was sad. Poor Gomie.

I saw an extended version of Hank's death scene that is totally real and not something I made up. "You're the smartest guy I ever met and you're too stupid to see he made up his mind ten minutes ago. Just do one thing for me...tell Marie they're minerals".
Flag
I saw a scene where he defeated Walt, showed that he had a full head of hair under a bald cap, got a text message from Marie that contained the words "U can sex NE1 U want", and took off with some woman on his talking and flying skateboard Wheelie.
Flag
I havent had chills like that since a few eps of LOST.
mainly the scene with the knife & the baby stealing. wow, just wow.

watched Dexter before this ep and was like Dexter, you suck. Breaking Bad knows how to end a show.

Flag
dexter finale is not coming off so well. but to be compared to breaking bad is quite an accomplishment. aside from the fact that both shows are really popular, there's really few similarities. i liked both shows more in the first few seasons but breaking bad finale is going well. i'm still curious as to how things will play out with dexter, but I'm more ''along for the ride'' than i am ''excited about the prospects''.
Flag
i agree. it just gets the comparison because they are both almost over.
Flag
Perfection exists.
Flag
Nah...close. Sopranos = perfection.
Flag
Nah, Shameless=Perfection then.
Flag
Marie wearing a black outfit the whole episode instead of her usual purple was a nice touch , they symbolized Marie's mourning even before she knew Hank was dead
Flag
yeah i pointed that out to the wife.
Flag
Dammit, just Dammit, i watched the whole series in less than a month and this is the first episode to watch "live", and BrBa is just awesome, it's the greatest thing on tv, i loved walt, disliked walt, hated walt, wanted to kill walt and never imagined that the show will be able to make me like him again, but dammit, this is no ordinary show with no ordinary actors or crew very few shows dare to make the twists that BrBa does and fewer that can make you feel the same as BrBa does(Code Geass, Hannibal(in a different way) and of course GoT(also in a different way) those are the only shows that i can remember now)
The greatest thing on tv without any doubt
Flag
Malcolm in the Middle is darker than I remember.
Flag
I am seriously questioning the sanity level of people who still don't understand Skyler and her motives and general behaviour.
Flag
what do you mean? people who don't agree with her motives? its not real difficult to ''understand them'' but she is an extremely selfish person.
Flag
By that logic, Walter is extremely generous.
Flag
I think walt's sacrifices say a lot about his generosity. just as skylar's bitching and babymaking says a lot about hers
Flag
I completely agree, but it goes both ways.
Flag
Probably the best episodes of the show.. EVER !
Flag
Oh , this half season -in my opinion- is the best by far . it is full of twists and turns , God , the acting , the writing is superb !
Although , for a second ,in this episode when they torture Jesse and he confess about the tape he made , i though they would go to hank's house to get the tape and something tragic would happen 'Killing Marie or someone from Walter's Family' and that's where the rest of season will follow but they go with something else , Geez JUST AWESOME !!
P.S Whether u like her or not , Skyler performance was superb in this episode!
Flag
That thing with Marie (and possibly the others too) can still happen in the next episode.
Flag
I think the twists and turns are getting SLIGHTLY lame. It's still awesome. But yea...they go to Walt's house, kill everyone, write Heisenberg. I was hoping at least Marie lived. And I love how everyone hates Marie now too for telling Skyler what a dumb bitch she's been...
Flag
Skyler is the dumbest person on the planet. She pisses me off so much. Attacking Walt with a knife, and then HE'S the bad guy? On what planet? Everything Walt has done has been for a good reason. Dunno, maybe it's a cultural divide (I'm Russian), but from where I sit, Walt's a man who gave everything for his family, to make sure they end up ok. Hell, he was prepared to give up all his cash to save the life of the man who wanted to destroy him.

He has done some bad things, true, but only ever out of necessity. Only in America can you be the bad guy for dealing with crappy situations instead of just rolling over and dying. Skyler and especially Walt Jr. should be ashamed of themselves. They should watch Godfather and learn about family loyalty.
Flag
Yea you're pretty sick man. Unless you're a KGB member then I get it. Because he's made every evil choice he can possibly make all for his own self interest. He helped Jesse a few times ,but that was after getting him into all of it. The belittling of Jesse alone is probably more evil than anything else he's done other than obviously the killing. But he blows up people in a nursing home, coulda killed 10-20 people. Did kill 12 witnesses in prison. Poisoned a little kid just for the CHANCE Jesse might help him. Let Jesse's gf gag on her own vomit until she died. Made his wife think the money was coming from friends who didn't even know themselves. Put the kids and family at risk by dealing with killers and criminals. Put Hank at risk with the Mexican cartel and had him almost killed. Had Hank called and say Marie was in a terrible car crash. Manipulated Jesse at every turn to get what he wanted. And is an absolute bitch. Why people think Walt is some tough guy I don't get. He's a madgenius with a small penis complex.
Flag
Getting him into it? No one forced Jesse to say yes. All I'm seeing is a bunch of people that refuse to take responsibility for the mess they created, and playing the victim. He never blew anyone up in a nursing home, the old guy did. Jesse, don't forget, tried to blackmail him on numerous occasions, and proved himself untrustworthy because of his rampart drug use and numerous meltdowns. Skyler was very happy to play along until shit went south - everyone is complicit. Only Walt, though, has the balls to follow through on what he set out to do.
Flag
It's absolutely mind-boggling and more than a little scary that someone can think this way. Of course he's the bad guy. He's the reason Hank and a lot of other people are dead. He did not have good reasons to do the bad things he did. Consider the killing of Gale for example. He convinced Jesse to kill Gale to protect Jesse and himself. That's noble, right? It is actually, but you also have to consider the fact that Walt had chosen to put himself in a situation where it was likely that something like that would eventually happen. He didn't know that Gale would get killed, but he knew that the statistical expectation of his choice to work for Gus was that more than one person would die. So Walt doesn't get to use the excuse that the situation called for Gale's death. He was responsible for that situation arising in the first place! Similar comments apply to most of the things he's done.

It's especially absurd that you say that Walt Jr should be ashamed of himself. For what? For not going "wow dad's awsome" when he learned that he's a drug lord and a mass murderer, that Hank was dead, and that Walt was responsible? (He is, even if you refuse to see it).

More +
Flag
I don't see it. Everyone on the show made their own choices, Walt didn't force anyone to do anything with a gun to the head. You do what you have to to succeed in life, and anyone not living in ideal comfort knows this. Walt was forced in the positions to do what he did, it was never preemptive.
You think anyone in any position of power didn't squash a few heads, either literally or figuratively, on his/her way to the top? Your naivety is cute.
Flag
Your tolerance of people who choose to cause suffering is the opposite of cute.
Flag
Skyler believes 100% that Walt killed Hank. That is not what I would call acting in the interest of your family.

Flag
Well the argument could be made that protecting the family was the motivation for Skyler and Walt jr. ''acting a fool''. Since Hank was family, and this 'dual conniption' is supposedly outrage over his death (which Walt supposedly orchestrated.) No one ever seems to asked questions on this show, They just assume the worst and fly off the handle. If I was Walt I'd have been chillin' in Belize, getting a back rub from some exotic mahogany goddesses. Not dealing with a woman who selectively shares and withholds her affections to manipulate me.
Flag
Why does everyone think that Walt will/should be redeemed?
I think it's more likely that Heisenberg will go full Scarface.
This is, after all, a show about the folly of Prohibition.
Flag
good point: "This is, after all, a show about the folly of Prohibition."
Flag
"'I'm going to watch The Red Wedding episode of Game of Thrones to cheer up." lol
Flag
Yes, Team Walt. Happy that Hank went to Belize. Too bad Skyler and Marie didn't make the trip with him. Remember that Walt said it would take about 36 hours for Ricin to kill. I'm guessing he takes it himself (maybe has someone join him) and uses the Auto Rifle to take out quite a few people before he goes. If Jesse is still hanging around i'm guessing he will meet his end. I had thought that with Todd keeping the Tarantula the finger prints on the jar would do him in. Somehow I thought he would pay for that kids death.
Flag
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to watch this perfection of a television episode without shaking or gasping for breath. INCREDIBLE!!
Flag
I could see how Walt would return in the heated moment that jesse would call him, with a cry for help, that they have put him in a position worst that anything that's happened to them in the history of BB. This will make Walt come to the realisation that they had started this together. and they would end it together.

Knowing that his family is no more. He holds on to the one person who had been there by him since the beginning. and BOOM he makes a deal with the white supremicists to hand jesse over insstead of walt. and then poisoning a batch of Blue persuassion with the reisin. Putting an end to the ever so famous "Blue" meth.
Flag
Well going by the opening scenes of this season I think it's clear that in the final two episodes Heisenberg will be fading away into the Walt we all knew and loved.

He'll return to take revenge on Todd and his uncle for killing Hank and to free Jesse.

This will be his redemption.

As for the ricin you suspect it might be for Lydia who Walt will contact under the pretext of wanting to cook meth again (he needs to find out the location of the drug operation).

He'll have a cup of her favourite tea waiting for her as they meet in the diner.

Flag
I think Marie deserves a mention in the comments. Betsy Brant did a great job or receiving the news at the end of the episode, and here's a fun detail: when she shows up at the carwash to first talk to Skylar, there isn't anything purple in sight. Pants, shirt, purse, shoes, all black.
Flag
Oh, I almost forgot. Did anyone catch Jesse protecting Marie? When Todd comes to take him out of the hot box he says (of the confession DVD) "Just go. Just go to his house and get it. No one else knows about it, just me and his partner [Gomez]. No one else knows, I swear."
Flag
Where is this protecting her? He basically told those nazi bangers to get into HER house. This won't end good and only encourage Walt to get back and have some nicey dicey revenge.
Flag
I actually thought of Scrat from the Ice Age series, protecting that one lonely acorn when Walt was rolling that barrel.

I have a feeling I'll be dreaming about this episode tonight again....and it will be just as unpleasant. Powerful stuff.
Flag
I just listened to the "Insider Podcast" about this episode on the AMC site. Vince G, the director Rian Johnson, writer Moira Walley-Beckett, Aaron Paul and more talking for 90 min--great stuff! One amazing thing-- the baby said "mama" on her own--just a happy on set accident!
Flag
Staff
Do you have a link to that Podcast? That sounds like a great thing to share in the Breaking Bad Community!
Flag
Staff
Thanks!
Flag
As the poem Ozymandias suggests, unholy wealth and power can only be attained by criminal acts and starving the land around you. Sane wealth is a different thing..
Flag
we all knew our hearts would be broken when we started seeing the show..
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members