A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)

These days, everyone with a television and a computer thinks they're a Breaking Bad expert. Forget Lost—this Sunday's series finale will go down in history as the most talked about episode in television history. It's hasn't even aired yet and it's already dominating the internet, as has been the case with every new episode from this final half-season. You can't escape the predictions, the questions, the over-scrutinized crackpot theories, the top ten lists, the collections of favorite Jesse Pinkman moments in .GIF form... the show is literally everywhere. 

For example, Entertainment Weekly recently ranked every single episode from worst to best. I'm not saying whoever compiled the list was on the blue stuff, but I'm not saying they weren't, either. Because who puts "Half-Measures" at number 24 and "To'hajiilee" at 32? Oh, sure, we all have our own criteria for what constitutes an excellent episode of Breaking Bad, and in a field littered with excellent episodes it's pretty hard to pick the best, but I'm pretty sure "To'hajiilee" deserves a much higher spot. The tension! The Jesse-Walt confrontation! The heart-pounding ending! 

Elsewhere, Vulture's Matt Zoller Seitz listed the 11 Breaking Bad episodes he can't shake, but it was more like a Top 11 Story Arcs list, because in some cases he lumped several episodes together—which is probably a more accurate method of judging Breaking Bad anyway. Each episode builds off the ones that came before.

Anyway, lest TV.com be left out the fight fun, I've decide to make my own Best of Breaking Bad list. And obviously it's the only right one because I wrote it. After several weeks of careful consideration with regard to what makes an excellent episode of Breaking Bad, not to mention plenty of heated debates (and a few knock-down drag-outs) with my fellow TV.com colleagues, I've constructed the following list of the Top 10(-ish) Episodes of Breaking Bad Ever.* Share your own in the comments!

*I compiled this list in 30 minutes.

10. "Phoenix" & "ABQ" (Season 2, Episodes 12 & 13)

9. "Blood Money" (Season 5, Episode 9)

8. "Dead Freight" (Season 5, Episode 5)

7. "Fly" (Season 3, Episode 10)

6. "Peekaboo" (Season 2, Episode 6)

5. "Half Measures" & "Full Measure" (Season 3, Episodes 12 & 13)

4. "End Times" & "Face Off" (Season 4, Episodes 12 &13)

3. "One Minute" (Season 3, Episode 7)

2. "To'hajiilee" & "Ozymandias" (Season 5, Episodes 13 & 14)

1. "4 Days Out" (Season 2, Episode 9)

That's it for me. Which episodes would make your list?

TVcom_editorial:list:what-is-the-best-breaking-bad-episode-ever/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 9/29/2013

Season 5 : Episode 16

84 Comments
Comments (57)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OMG... How could you leave out "Sunset"? The death of the RV. It is truly the saddest episode of the series.
Flag
S02E04: Down
Seriously, guys. Rewatch this episode!
It's both hilarious and heartbreaking, maybe not THE best episode but definitely in the top ten.
Flag
Not sure what my favorite was, but "Phoenix" had the biggest impact on me. The acting Bryan Cranston did in that final scene without saying a word - you could read every thought that was going through his head as he weighed his options and chose to let Jane die while simultaneously resisting the urge to save her. This is when he truly first became Heisenberg. I had definitely been enjoying the series up to that point, but that's when I realized we were dealing with an all time great.
Flag
my turn :

1.S04E13: Face Off
2.S05E14: Ozymandias
3.S03E07: One Minute
4. S04E10: Salud
5.S05E13: To'hajiilee
Flag
Obviously I haven't been watching this properly because I can't remember these episodes by name. My favourite collection of episodes were those with Gale and Gus and the box cutter, and that whole "Tight, tight ,tight" run.

The introduction of Todd and his shooting the kid on the bike... That train robbery was the shit.
Flag
I'm still holding back my emotions from when you said "Forget Lost!" It was like a dagger in my heart.
Flag
  1. Full/Half Measures
  2. To’hajiilee/Ozymandias
  3. Face-Off
  4. Dead Freight
  5. One Minute
  6. Crawl Space
  7. 4 Days Out
  8. Crazy Handful of Nothin
  9. Say My Name
  10. Gliding Over-All

Flag
Fly was the turning point in the series for me, it's my favorite episode.
Flag
I feel like I need to rewatch Fly, it was my least favourite episode. Maybe I was in the wrong mood or something. I paused it halfway through and didnt watch the rest for days.
Flag
I can NOT choose the 10 best episodes, but I pick those that made the biggest impression on me and stay in my mind... indefinitely
Sorry for the long list:
S01 Ep 01 Pilot (The reason I got into the show)
S01 Ep 07 A No-Rough-Stuff-Type Deal (Tuco, Heisenberg first appearance )
S02 Ep 06 Peekaboo (Jesse, the whole story)
S02 Ep 02 Grilled (WW, Jesse, Tuco and Salamanca in that house)
S02 Ep 09 Four Days Out (outdoor experience for WW and Jesse without the RV battery)
S03 Ep 01 No Mas (mexicans crawling, the twins, firs sketch of Heisenberg)
S03 Ep 06 Sunset (The RV with WW and Jesse inside)
S03 EP 07 One Minute (Hank to be hacked in pieces)
4S03 E10 Fly
S03 E13 Half measures (one of the best final ep of the whole show)
S04 Ep 10 Salud (the whole pool scene)
S04 Ep 13 Face Off (Gus Fringe gets killed)
S05 Ep 02 Madrigal (Lydia and WW in the restaurant)
S05 Ep 05 Dead Fright (train robbery)
S05 Ep 07 Say My Name (the desert, the lawyer, the money and Mike)
S05 Ep 08 Gliding Over All (best toilet scene ever?)
S05 Ep 09 Bloody Money (Hank, WW, flashback)
S05 Ep 14 Ozymandias (Hank gets killed)
S05 Ep 16 Felina (I guess it may be on the list)
(it took me one whole hour)
More+
Flag
Sees "Fly" on the list
Thank You!!
I love that episode but, for a lot of people it's the worst episode of the show.
Flag
Thank you! Most people just don't see the brilliance in that episode and they say it's filler because it doesn't progress the story.
Flag
Fly is such a divisive episode, you either love it or hate it.
Flag
Episodes involving Gus vs. the cartel, Don Eladio etc. should be included. I enjoyed rooting for Gus in those situations almost as much as I enjoyed rooting for Walt in the season finale that year.

Flag
Salud would rank at number 11. That was an excellent piece of storytelling.
Flag
I was gonna put "Fly" on my worst episode list. Not sure what the point of it was.
Flag
Yeah, you shoud rewatch it then, because it is a brilliant episode and a great analogy from Gilligan about Walt's guilt.
Flag
Actually I think the writers just didn't have enough story to fill a season and felt they had to burn an episode. You can look into it as deep as you want but the reality is that it did nothing for the story.
Flag
The fact that it doesn't progress the actual story, doesn't make it a bad episode. It has an amazing conversation between Walter and Jesse, it has (as always) great acting and it shows us what was going on in Walter' s mind at the time. Yes, it is a bottle episode but still a brilliant one.
Flag
I never cared much for "Fly". When it first aired, I felt as though I had wasted my time.
Flag
i watched breaking bad twice except for that episode "fly" i skipped it at the second time...you don't lose anything if you skip it :)
Flag
Actually, you lose one of the best hours of television you'll ever see, but i guess who cares, right?
Flag
Actually, 'Fly' has one of the poorest ratings of all BB episodes and is tied for the lowest rated episode through the first four seasons. But don't let pesky facts get in the way.
Flag
Yeah, the ratings are always so accurate.. 'Fly' is almost in every list of Breaking Bad best episodes, including this one.
Flag
10) One Minute
9) Dead Freight
8) End Times
7) Confessions
6) Full Measure
5) Half Measure
4) To'hajilee
3) Crawl Space
2) Face off
1) Ozymandias
Flag
Why put "10 episodes" in the list title if you have more than 10 items?
Flag
Dead Freight (Season 5, Episode 5)
The train robbery with the unlucky kid on the bike is my pick.
Man I am going to miss BB. :(
Flag
I speak only for myself here, but to be frank, of all the Breaking Bad episodes, only "Fly" stands out as a bad episode. It's the only episode that did nothing to move the story forward. And unlike almost all BB episodes, "Fly" failed to present anything that had any short or long term ramifications on the story or characters. Perhaps some might argue it was pivotal for the Walt/ Jesse relationship, but I just don't see that given everything those two had already been through before that episode.

So like a lot of people here, I'm not sure how that episode can make any Breaking Bad best episodes list.

Flag
couldn't agree more with you...i think they they did that episode just to promote the insects killer at the end
Flag
For me I love Fly (but I don't rate it as my No 1.) because as a British viewer I love the Bottle Episode... when you have a cheap episode that is totally character driven with a limited cast and location the writer is forced to work hard to give the characters motivation and there's often a lot of introspection. So while they don't often further the plot these episodes often give you a break from the formula and time to learn more about your characters. Add to this the director needs to get creative as scene changes are out and the whole episode becomes all about creative use of space and inventive ways to visualize and deliver the plot.

I admit the psychosis of Walt was hamfistedly inserted for the episode (more/any build up would have been nice) but it allowed the episode to exist and be more fun than just a bored Walt and irritated Jesse. I like how Jesse gets to show his concern and love for his mentor to the point he joins him on his quest and gets involved to the point he forgets his own agenda.

Add to this my personal love of the work of the director and his visual style and you have one happy viewer and a memorable episode for good or bad.
More +
Flag
Don't get the love for "Fly", that was one of the worst. It did however have its merits so in all factuality this is a series that really doesn't have any "bad" episodes. Great series. BTW your top 10 list beats EW's complete list even if you ranked back to back eps together..
Flag
Why not list all Breaking Bad episodes as an option in the WHICH EPISODES BELONG IN TOP 10 category? Otherwise, what is the point of asking us since you've already decided that only the listed episodes "qualify"?
Pointless exercise.

Flag
Which episode(s) do you think should be added?
Flag
All of them. That is the only way people can have a "choice". Otherwise you guys are already deciding which episodes "qualify" - according to TV.com - making it a bit of a pointless exercise. Just because some episodes were more "critically acclaimed" then others doesn't mean that everyone will have the same "favourites". For example even Kaitlin says that fans either loved or hated the episode "Fly" but since she loved it, it made the list. I am just trying to point out that if "the choice" is already half-made for us then that doesn't make it a choice at all. Therefore, rendering the exercise inert.
Flag
My favorites in no particular order; Ozymandias, Phoenix, Fly, Half Measures, Full Measure and Face off
Flag
This list is perfect! I wouldn't change a thing... well except "Granite State" and "Felina" will belong on the list too.
Flag
To me - the best episodes have been 2 last epsidoes this season. I actually liked 15th even more than14th, Walt's story arc was just amazing.
Flag
As my television addiction continues to grow I've come to the realisation that there will be very few shows I'll watch for a second time. I know for a certainly though that Breaking Bad will be one I will return to eventually. I was a very late comer to the show, I bought the first three season on DVD and watched them in one and a half weeks, and then caught up on television in time to catch the last couple of episodes of Season 4 at the same time as it aired.

Maybe because its so fresh in my mins, but I think Ozymandias will be hard too beat, while To'hajiilee had a great ending, it was a slow burn episode, and I had some problems with the beginning

I preferred Seasons 3 & 4 over 5 overall, and episodes like Half Measures and Full Measures, as well as Crawl Space, would also be in my top ten. Other than watching the whole series again, these are the only four I'd cement in my top ten for sure.

I would have loved to read the reasons behind your picks Kaitlin, and/ or a brief plot synopsis to job my memory. End Times and Face Off were good, but I remember thinking they were quite satisfactory final episodes, nothing overly unexpected or memorable. I personally find the early Season 5 episodes overrated, so Dead Freight and Blood Money wouldn't be in my top ten list.

I also absolutely hated Fly, such a frustrating, and I know it could be argued that I 'don't get it', but I thought the whole thing was pointless. Peekaboo was the first episode of the series I ever saw before I watched it from the beginning, and it almost made me not want to watch it - it was just too depressing for me, so I didn't much enjoy that one either.
More+
Flag
I agree that this is too fucking hard, and Kaitlin already cheated by lumping episodes together, though I can kind of understand that. I think you got the meat of it, but there are others like "Crawl Space," "Salud" "Hermanos," "Grilled," and "Negro y Azul." Once again, don't know where I'd rank them.
Flag
"Hermanos" was definitely my favorite episode of season 4. I don't know why that isn't up there.
Flag
FLY, really? I'm sorry but that is the worst episode of Breaking Bad!!
Flag
I think Fly is one of those episodes that you either loved or really hated.
Flag
Same list, except "4 Days Out" drops to #6, pushing "Peekaboo" and everything above it a step higher. The latter is a fantastic Jesse-centric episode, and there haven't been too many of those.
Flag
I really love the episode 'Better Call Saul'. I wouldn't call it the best episode, but it's definitely one of my personal favorites. The first time we see Saul, the great opening scene with Badger and the undercover cop, and Walt's speech to Hank about fear are all excellent. Walt's speech in particular is one of my favorite scenes of the series.
Flag
I'm sorry but Ozymandias deserved the no. 1 spot. 4 days out was good because it broke the formula. I don't think Peekaboo should be in the list. And One Minute shouldnt be so high. And this list deserved more then ten-ish episodes.
Flag
I agree, it does deserve more than 10-ish episodes. But I had to cut it off somewhere. Otherwise I was likely to just list every episode of the entire series.
Flag
I don't know why, but I always think about "Down" (Season Two, Episode 4) when I think about my faves.
Flag
Ozymandias might be the best hour of television that I've ever seen. It's a tough field, what with Game of Thrones' "Blackwater", The Walking Deads' "Days Gone Bye", The West Wings' "Twenty Five", Losts' "Pilot" and The Sopranos' "Pine Barrens". But it's definitely right there. The finale might beat it...
Flag
The only boring episode was the one when Walt and Jesse were stuck in the lab downstairs during the entire time. I'm not sure of the name but for me it was a filler.
Flag
Even with a good series, some episode has to be the worst. Fly is BB's. It feels like an outtake. Popular ratings agree. And if people diss the popular ratings then they must also dismiss the popular ratings that make Breaking Bad....popular.
Flag
It's Fly and you're right it was the worst one.
Flag
Filler? You're calling 'Fly' filler? It might be my favorite episode, it's a great look into the relationship between Walt & Jesse, by far the best bottle episode that has been done in my opinion
Flag
It's "Fly", And it was GREAT
Flag
Pilot
Flag
Where the hell is Crawl Space
Flag
It's currently ranked #8 in the poll! Did you vote for it?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members