A Breaking Bad Community
AMC (ended 2013)
The moment that Marty Robbins cassette fell out of the glove box and landed beside Walt, it hit me.

I am kicking myself for not getting the significance of the title of the Breaking Bad series finale, "Felina" as soon as I knew the title. Felina is not a common name, and I love Marty Robbins' sad ballad of the cowboy who breaks bad and flees El Paso:

Just for a moment I stood there in silence,
Shocked by the foul evil deed I had done.
Many thoughts raced through my mind as I stood there;
I had but one chance and that was to run.

Run though he might, he must return:

Back in El Paso my life would be worthless.
Everything's gone in life; nothing is left.
It's been so long since I've seen the young maiden
My love is stronger than my fear of death.

If Walt is the cowboy, who is Felina?

Can there be any doubt? It reminds me of the series finale of Cheers (another show where the goal is for everyone to know your name. Ha.) and the last thing Norm says before he leaves Sam alone in the bar:

I knew you'd come back. You can never be unfaithful to your one, true love. You always come back to her.

And lest you think I'm reading too much into this:

Something is dreadfully wrong for I feel
A deep burning pain in my side.

Everything about this series has been so carefully planned and executed, it staggers me. The synergy with the song that lends its title to this episode, the transformed callback of the lottery ticket, the final conversations Walt had -- and Breaking Bad delivered batches just like this episode consistently over five seasons (well, six if you watch it on iTunes.)

Vince Gilligan has cooked up the television equivalent of blue crystal meth, 99% pure. It's been a great ride.

One little kiss and Felina, good-bye.
4 Comments
Follow this Show
Members