Breaking Bad

Crawl Space

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 25, 2011 on AMC

• The series' best episode up to that point, hands down.

I don't suppose any sane person thought anything else than "WOW" when the credits for "Crawl Space" began to roll. Hands down, the ending sequence is one of the best things to ever happen on television and I don't suppose that I have to point out what it is that makes it that brilliant. But, contrary to its episodic predecessor, there's not only one amazing scene that you won't forget, but a whole episode you won't forget.

Opening with the ramifications of "Salud" taking place in a portable, so to say, Mexican hospital, where Gus and Mike are treated, this episode cuts right to the chase, which is especially pleasant if you're watching the season in a row on DVD/Blu-Ray (and I guess there's no other way to go if you watch it on DVD/Blu-Ray for the first time). But very soon, we're north of the border again and are confronted with lots of trouble as well. For one, Ted Beneke's bitchiness reaches a new apex and in such a situation Better call Saul! That's what Skyler does and that's what provides for the funniest scene over the course of four seasons of the series, if you ask me. Bill Burr and Lavell Crawford excel themselves in their roles and, guess what, I don't have anything to criticize Christopher Cousins about. To that novelty comes an abrupt ending to Hank and Walt's investigation joyrides, something that may not have been the greatest scene, but something very important to the plot that is also a partial reason for the unforgettable episode finale (something that great has to be called finale, right?).

Jesse gets something else to do as well in "Crawl Space", as we firstly see that he now has a wonderful relationship with Andrea and Brock (knowing the series, this is highly unlikely to last long), but secondly get further proof that Walter has lost all of his rationality due to the admittedly uncomfortable situation he is in currently. Aaron Paul and Bryan Cranston have another paramountly acted confrontation that leads to a desert scene even better than the one we've had pretty much exactly one season ago. Giancarlo Esposito shows his intimidating side once again and now we're already at the final moments of "Crawl Space". Whoever had the idea for this should win a Nobel Prize or be canonized because that is sheer perfect. Oh, and same goes for Bryan Cranston who has now officially ascended to the highest tier concerning acting skills.

• Brilliant.

without a doubt the best episode Breaking Bad that ever did.

the writing was outstanding, the directing was perfection and the
    acting was genius.

Vince did an amazing job. Walt was at his best. now we know for
    sure that the next emmy is his to win for sure.

I mean the last 10 min was pure awesomeness, I swear I stopped breathing for a while with some amazing score, that did it for the scene, and for sure a classic cinematography and art direction.

the episode itself should win best directing, writing, actor and actress.

• Walt grows more desperate while Hank gets closer to the truth.

There's a reason the last four episodes or so have been at the top of the ratings list on this website. I still think there's some better episodes of the show overall, but this season, as a whole, has been darker, more intense and featuring the kind of acting, writing and directing that any show would be jealous of. This episode takes the intensity found in the previous ten episodes and mashes them all into one. I don't think I've found an ending as eerie as I found this one.

While Walt waits for Jesse to return from Mexico, Jesse drives Gus and Mike quickly to a make-shift hospital, hoping their lives will be saved. While Mike is operated on, Gus and Jesse make their way back to America, with Gus hinting at the fact that Walt will be fired and that major changes will be made. Walt, on the other hand, is going absolutely insane attempting to keep his family safe and himself from dying. I have to say, people have been saying that Walt isn't as likable as he used to be and that he's a coward and getting kicked around, and after seeing this episode, I agree. I want to see Walt get a win. He may not be the hero anymore, after all the stupid stuff he's done, but I'm always cheering for the anti-hero.

Before I get to the incredible ending, I'll a couple of other major plot points. Hank is getting incredibly close to learning the truth about Gus' operation, and things get a little too close for comfort after he asks Walt to drive him to the laundromat where they cook meth. Walt, who's likely terrified to be caught by Gus or Tyrus, decides to take the easy (or hard?) way out and crash his car into oncoming traffic, which leaves him and Hank injured. It's yet another incredibly stupid and rash decision that Walt makes that ends up not working in the end. We also get a few scenes with Skyler and Ted, with Ted refusing to take the money, which ends with Skyler turning to Saul for help, Saul sending his goons over to Ted's house to force him to write the check and Ted falling face first into a wall, either knocking himself out or killing himself. We never exactly get an answer to that question, but either way, seeing Ted fly across the room and smashing his face into a wall was hilarious.

However, there's not too much of the rest of the episode that was hilarious. It was dark, terrifying and bone-chilling. Things start getting sketchy after Walt attempts to visit Jesse and ask for help in saving his life and his family's life. Jesse brushes Walt off and Tyrus shows up, cattle prodding him and driving him out to the desert, where Gus shows up and claims that though he can't kill Walt without risking Jesse's work stoppage, he has no choice but to kill Hank and if Walt interferes, he'll kill Walt's entire family. Walt, freaking out, rushes to Saul's, claims he's going to disappear for good with his family and runs back home to get the money to pay for the "disappearing act." However, he learns, to his horror, that Skyler paid Ted the rest of the money.

It's here that the episode takes a turn in a way that I've never seen done before. Walt screams at Skyler in rage upon learning of the fact they have no money to disappear and get new identities. He then begins cackling, laughing like a hyena, coughing over his laughs until he's out of breath and then continues laughing. His shrill laugh plays out in the background as Skyler gets a message from Marie claiming that they got a tip that Hank is in danger. While Skyler tries to calm down a distraught Marie, Walt's laugh acts as the background noise, while the soundtrack plays an electronic pulse in the background similar to a heartbeat. The camera cuts back to Walt underneath the crawl space and slowly begins moving up, the music's feedback crescendo-ing while Walt is framed by the crawl space, his body motionless from shock. Now that's how you end an episode.

• Absolute best episode of the series (not just the season) so far. Everything was brilliant, from acting (Skylar and Walt especially), plotting, cinematography, the list goes on. Got a few questions though...

That concluding scene was just riveting, but left me a bit confused.

First, did they not really convey to the viewer the state of the White's finances before that moment? A few eps ago Walt was ranting about making more money than Skylar could ever imagine; Skylar was complaining that she couldn't launder it all; Hank's medical expenses were always an "any amount, no problem" type thing; and my impression was always that Skylar didn't tell Walt about her payment to whassisface b/c $600k was a drop in the bucket. So I always figured he was sitting on a multimillion dollar goldmine of unlaundered cash this whole time.

Second, didn't Walt overreact a bit with the whole "gotta run, need a new identity STAT" thing? I mean, the whole point of the family threat was to keep Walt out without having to kill him. In time, sure, he'd need to bamf should Jesse ever be swayed, but that's hardly likely to be imminent if he made it to Mexico and back without turning. Maybe he was afraid tipping off Hank would call in Gus' threat? This feels like I missed a key line of dialogue or something...

In other news, did TerraNova suck or WHAT?

• one of, if not the, best scenes with Walt... i had chills watching the end.

one of, if not the, best scenes with Walt... i had chills watching the end.

i love this show, and look forward to it every week. this week's ep had me staring slack-jawed at the final few minutes. how the hell did things go from Season 1 Episode 1... to THIS!?!?

• Definitive.

Since the last few episodes of this season have been excellent, I knew this one would hold up as well. While Jesse returns from Mexico Walt gets Hank a little too close for comfort to the base of operations, even though it was not his intention. For the most part the episode is pretty typical of Breaking Bad, in a good way, but I must definitely say that the last five minutes are pretty much definitive of the show, and what I mean by that is I think that's one of those things you'll just always remember about the show looking back on it, like Dutch strangling the cat on The Shield.

I had to try and figure out whether I thought the Skyler plot in this episode was stupid or awesome, I mean it kind of seemed like clumsy writing that "this happened...just because!" (Talking about the tripping and falling bit.) But in the end, with the above mentioned closing of the show, it kind of tied together.

• Bryan Cranston's finest moment.

I wanted to start off by saying that if there was any doubt that Bryan Cranston would somehow not be able to win his 4th emmy, those doubts are now shattered. This episode stared off slow; after all, we needed to settle down after last week's final minutes. But since when has Breaking Bad ever been known to follow a sure fire formula? Unpredictability is one of the shows finest traits, and oh boy, is this episode unpredictable. We start off by seeing Jess and Gus leave Mike to the fate of Mexico's best doctors. Skyler and Ted are still discussing business involving the IRS. Hank is getting closer to finding his answers. But as soon as we start getting comfortable with what we expect to happen, unpredictability strikes. Sincewhen is life ever that simple in the Breaking Bad world?Like a car crash in slow motion, we can't seem to turn away just as our characters we care for so dearly are dropped into a complete state of panic and hopelessness, all in a matter of minutes. Everything the characters have done results in consequences, and those consequences come back to haunt everyone in this episode. This is brilliant writing from Vince Gilligan and his crew. Enjoy this episode, because it's a rare moment in television history. This, my friends, is the best episode of Breaking Bad.

• INSANE. Too good for TV.

This episode simply exuded perfection tonight. It was non-stop from start to finish where everything came crashing down abruptly to an all-out insanity.

From the first scene with Jesse driving to an underground ER. And then Jesse receiving the news that Gus is ready to get rid of Walt, this episode kicks off an amazing arc that will fuel these next three episodes. Jesse, still pushes Gus to not kill Walt, a sign of a once underlying friendship, now ruined. With Mike stable and taken care of, they had to see Hector and they practically spit in his face. Giancarlo Esposito totally nails the character of Gus in its entirety. That voice and his words hit Hector's heart harder than any bullet could.

Walt's helplessness and hopelessness was all the more apparent in this episode. He was displayed as ragged, terrified, irrational. Pleading to Tyrus to pass information "along the chain of command" Walt has been destroyed. I don't know if they are using make-up, but Bryan Cranston simply exuded the physical breakdown occurring on his face in this episode. Pleading to Jesse for help "he will kill me", then pleading to Saul. But he has the gall to stand up to Gus, even though he was rattling like he'd seen a ghost.

It was nice to see Skyler take action tonight against Ted. Her shocked expression when she heard that Ted was unwilling to accept her money on the basis of morals was just what exactly the same feeling every audience member had. But is Ted now dead? I don't think so, that would be odd since he was still moving. It's possible that he broke his neck, as there was an nasty crunching sound on impact. Being immobilized helps Saul, so that might have been what the goons were talking about.

I was amazed when Walt headed over to Jesse's house to find him spending time with his new-found family. I find the polarization of these characters incredibly thought provoking - it's Jesse who has become closer to his family while Walt drifts aimlessly away from his.

I can't even start to think what will happen next - I'll probably be wrong if I speculated. The curves and twists are so unexpected, you are literally at the edge of your seat when each episode ends. All I know is that someone is going to die. I honestly don't even know anymore. It could be Gus, it could be Walt. It could still be Jesse - who knows. This show keeps you on your toes - it's the ultimate opponent against fans of the show.

• GREAT. That's it.

One of the best episodes yet. Walt (Cranston) really outstanded with his performance. Pinkman just nailed it. Everything was just perfect. One of the best seasons episodes. Episodes like this really make the series worth watching. It is just like a super movie that has always something new and awesome each time you watch it.

Damn, the producers + actors really nailed it.

Awesome.

• Crawl Space

Crawl Space was an absolutely riveting episode of Breaking Bad and I really enjoyed watching this episode because there was so much character depth and development. The story lines were well written and the actors were great. The proverbial s^*t has hit the fan and Walt goes into a peculiar state. This episode is full of wtf moments and I was very entertained. I certainly look forward to watching the next episode to see what happens next on Breaking Bad!!!!!!!!!

• I already want to see next week's episode "End Times" because of how intense, awesome, and thrilling that this episode really is.

Oh my gosh, I don't know what to say but this episode was so freakin' awesome. One of the best "Breaking Bad" episodes that I have ever seen. This episode already makes me want to see next week's episode "End Times". Ted/Skylar plot has been a little boring the past week couple of episodes but their plot in this episode was actually a little interesting and entertaining. I wonder if Ted is either dead or just unconscious though. Hank was very good in this episode and really stands out. Walter and Jesse talking to each other was pretty awesome even though it only lasted like a minute. Jesse spending time with his family by playing video games was very funny. Even though the Walter/Jesse partnership is already dead, I wished that Jesse would really listen to Walter though. Gus telling Walter that if he goes anywhere near Jesse or interferes with their work that he would kill Skylar, Walter Jr., and their baby daughter was very interesting and I also liked it when Walter told Gus that if he goes anywhere near Jesse that he will kill Gus or something like that. The last 10 minutes of this episode was definitely super intense, shocking, and pretty suspenseful. The scene with Saul towards the end of the episode was very good. The very ending of the epsiode with Walter rushing home to get the money but Skylar telling Walter that he gave some of the money to Ted with Walter laughing hysterically because he was no other options was very interesting and super duper intense. The part with Hank being in danger was also interesting. Overall, I want to see next week's episode "End Times" already... this week better go by really fast. 10/10

• walter white, i mean heisenberg puts the joker's maniacal laugh to shame.

SPOILERS HERE

okay first of all, HOLY CRAP, the last few minutes was so intense i felt my soul shivering! i have to give props to the musical scoring department, those deep bass drops intensified the last few minutes by a factor of 10. BRILLIANT.

i'll get back to the shiver machine that is the last scene of this episode in a while, let's talk about the rest of the epi. i found the whole ted situation to be a bit too comical for my taste but still handled wonderfully. i loled when saul reached to shake walt's hand and said "i can't say it's been a pleasure but --" BRILLIANT. hank was pretty much a red herring in this episode making us think that he will eventually find out then BAM. gus wants to kill him.

back to the final scene, walt finally loses it, brilliant acting by the two in that room and to top it all off marie calls to bring sky very disturbing news. brilliant directing, acting and scoring, one of my favorite scenes in Breaking Bad. one of my favorite scenes in all TV.

• holy crap i need the next episode right now.

I... am speechless. That right there is probably my favorite ending to an episode ever. I'll get on to the ending later on. What i liked- Ted's scene with those guys (so, did he die? i took it to mean he just hit his head and maybe went into a coma or something. either way i lol'ed a little more then i probably should have), Jesse's scene with that girl and her kid (I like seeing Jesse interact with kids, it shows even though he can be a jerk in some aspects, he still has a heart; i loved Peek A Boo from season 2 for instance), Walt crashing into that other car to avoid doing what Hank wanted him to do, the cold open with the doctor trying to help Gus because Gus is the one who pays his salary (though i wonder, what happened to Mike?), Jessenot helping Walt when he showed up to that house,etc.

OK, that's about all I can remember from everything that wasn't in the last like 3 scenes. The last like 3 scenes, 10 minutes of the episode... wow. I knew right when that guy showed up to electrify Walt, and the scene turned to a commercial, that the rest of the episode was going to be great. I mean, it HAD to be great. there was no way, knowing this show, something like that was going to happenand the rest of the episode wasn't going to be amazing. My expectations wereblown out of the water.

When we see Walt, Gus and those other two guys in the desert, and Gus is telling him to stay out of the business, not to cook, and to stay away from Jesse, I loved everything about this scene. Gus' "What did you say?" when Walt asked what he would do if he went and saw Jesse again. Something so simple, but the facial expression he made was like "Are you not scared of me?" And then Walt reminds him that he can't kill him because Jesse will not work for him. I had a theory that Gus was going to be killed off in this season, and I thought it would be before now. But now that he isn't, this scene was perfect. Gus saying that if Walt interfered with his plans, that he would kill his wife, was brutal. I was shocked. I was somehow even more shocked when Gus said he would kill Walt Jr. and Walt's "infant daughter."

I knew Gus was an evil character, of course, but... this scene and the delivery of the lines was just so intense. I actually gotsaddened. I didn't want this scene to end, because I feared the rest of the episode would somehow be boring, but i was wrong. It actually got BETTER.

Walt rushing to Saul's office and trying to get the number of that guy was a great scene. Always nice to see Saul. Next to Jesse and Walt he's probably my favorite character.

Then, you see Walt rushing home to get the money for the guy, only to find some of it is missing. He finds out Skylar had giving some to Ted. So, he lays on the money he still has, out of options, and starts laughing hysterically. His laughter and the whole essence of this one scene was just so intense. Walt's completely out of options now. He can't cook, he can't see Jesse, Hank is possibly going to DIE in one of the next episodes, and if Walt did anything, Skylar, Walt Jr. and Holly would die. This was so intense. And then to make it even more big, Marie calls and informs Skylar of the tip that Hank is in danger.

I kept complaining about Ted/Skylar's plot about the money, but I love how it ties in to this plot. Walt is now out of a lot ofmoney BECAUSE of this plot. Brilliant. The whole last 10 minutes of this episode is just so brilliant and is probably my favorite moments of this show up to this point, particularly Gus/Walt's scene and Walt laughing hysterically at the end. I know I say this every week, but I absolutely cannot WAIT for next Sunday. The next two episodes are going to be so absolutely crazy and I cannot wait! Do I even need to say it? This episode gets an A+

• Breaking Bad gives millions of people shivers without even needing to fire a single shot.

The best episode we've ever seen on Breaking Bad? The competition is brutal, with some of the greatest TV ever to grace the airwaves coming from this masterful little gem of a show, but Crawl Space might be up there with "Bag in the River". No exaggeration.

This episode gave us EVERYTHING. Plot building, unexpected turns, character development, laugh-out-loud moments, chilling acting, brutal atmospheric sound, and cinematography that blows 95% of movies out of the water without breaking a sweat. And it gave us all that without a single punch, a single bullet, a single explosion.First of all, Mark Margolis (Don Salamanca) deserves some kind of an award for being able to play a man who can't speak or barely move, and yet give us a performance like that. That was an intense scene, and you could feel the emotion from all 3 actors involved. The anguish and pure rage on Salamanca's face, and the satisfaction of final vengeance on Gus's face was beautiful. I love that the writers include scenes like this, which aren't even vital to the plot, but help you feel like they haven't forgot about a single scene so far in the series.

As the intensity of the episode built, and we were lead on a 45 minute journey where all the minor plot threads built up and intertwined, we were treated to an oddly large number of laughs this episode, most of which involving Saul Goodman and his henchmen (the newest of which I hope we see more of in future). I usually don't laugh at slapstick but seeing Ted trip on that carpet and slide head-long into the furniture was a darkly comedic set-up which just oozed irony.

And then of course is the final 15 minutes of the episode, which just blew my mind. I sat there with my hands on the back of my head(Dr. Cox style), mouth agape, and gasping the whole time. To see all those little things finally come together, with the heart-pounding atmospheric ambiance and the jaw-dropping actingand camera work was almost too much.

The final scene, with one of the biggest cliff hangers in the history of television, was magical. Walt discovers he no longer has enough money left to protect his family, and the irony of it all hits him. He spent all this time, risking death and jail and scorn, to protect his family from the financial atom-bomb of his medical fees. And now, as the end comes for him, he's a trapped man in a crawl space with no hope of ever protecting his family again. Walt's tears of despair turned into maniacal laughter, and you just can't help but wonder if that was the last time we'll ever see Walter White. I think that perhaps was the cracking point for Walt, and from now on it will be pure Heisenberg.

They could have ended the season there, but to think there are still 2 episodes to go just makes me giddy.

• Walter White wins "Problem Employee of the Decade" ... and it's only 2011.

Those familiar with the show's pacing (and those viewers who moan about early-season slowness are plainly NOT familiar) know that the show comes in two speeds: slow-smolder and open-burn. The smoldering stretches flesh out characters, establish motives and provide setup for conflict resolution. Then the burn resolves, upends and eliminates some plot lines, and makes fertile ground for the next smolder.

This episode wasn't just an open burn; it was a conflagration. Everything is on fire, and wildly so. This would have been a good place to conclude the season: every single character is in deep jeopardy; most are in mortal peril. We could have spent nine months wondeirng how everyone might get out of this mess, and it would have been fun to theorize. But there are two episodes to go; this is only going to get ratcheted up further. Hoo-boy.

The show certainly had a new flavor this week; I would call it "operatic." Gus tells his most hated surviving enemy of the extermination of his whole clan! Hector seethes at the killer of his beloved grandson! Mike hovers near death in a makeshift O.R. in Mexico! Skyler's ex-lover gets a comically-dramatic bump on the head -- probably fatal! Having doomed his entire family to death, Walter cackles hysterically in a deep, dark hole of his own making! Literally! All this week's plot points imply exclamation points. It's awful fun to watch, but it feels slightly over-baked. Just slightly.

In establishing a newly-opereratic tone, characters have started to do things that veer from the sensible, so as to pump up the drama. Gus warns Walter that he'll kill his whole family (cold scene) ... but then goes on to tell him that he'll have to kill Hank. Why would Gus say that? Why not just kill Hank without tipping his hand? Telling his least-stable employee such a vital thing defies logic, and leads somewhat predictably to Walter calling some major attention to Gus's operation. And then there's Walter's manner of doing so: he has Saul do it because Walter is too close to the DEA. But weren't you planning on disappearing anyway, Walter? Why protect an identity that's going to be erased? What was the point of that, except to set it up so that he'd have no way out once he realized he was short on cash?

So Walter's in a hole, mired in problems he's been busy making since day one. Rightly so. The theme for this season is, "Walter becomes a liability." Every single character has re-assessed this guy recently. Gus fires him, with a warning as a severance package. Jesse is bitter and mistrustful. Junior revealed last week that he doesn't care for Heisenberg. Saul realizes what a problematic client he is. Mike and his staff have had enough of Walter's s***. And then there's Hank, who at the very least regards Walter as an aggressively bad chauffeur, and who must, finally, start stringing together the catalog of evidence against his brother-in-law that began with him asking, "Can I get a look at the meth lab?" in the pilot. If that odd auto accident doesn't make Hank suspicious, I don't know what will. Like Skyler in season two, they can't put off Hank's enlightenment forever.

The lower-key moments this week worked much better. Tyrus's barely-concealed glee when he smuggled Walter into work in a tub of dirty laundry was wonderful. (Oh, dear Tyrus; I hope they kill you last.) Gus's warm relationship with his doctor was a nice touch. Saul's A-Team ineptly strong-arming Ted into tax compliance was fun (even though Ted's self-offing strained credbillity). Family Game Night with Andrea, Brock and Jesse was heart-warming. (Are Andrea and Brock in danger? Probably.) There are unanswered-questions galore. Is Ted dead? If so, will anyone notice that his second-to-last check stub was written to Skyler? Will Mike recover? Will Jesse remember Mike's second-class-citizen status, and apply it to his own predicament? Will Gus continue to let Jesse be the only employee who will stand up to him? Where IS Hank? Is a DEA raid on the superlab inevitable, and will Jesse be trapped there when it happens? Will Junior learn the truth while in hiding? Does Hector Salamanca still have a play to make, now that he knows what Jesse did? (Prediction: Hector will finally look Gus in the eye to watch his enemy die.)

Will any bit of Walter White emerge from the crawl space ... or will it only be Heisenberg? That insane laughter had some larger meaning, I'm sure.

So this was a strong episode, but not a perfect one. I know that calling this show imperfect brings a rain of thumb-down's; I'm ready for it. And I'm ready to see how they resolve this huge mess: put out the wildfire, or let it consume everything? I remain optimistic that they'll pull of a perfect-10 episode by season's end. It's coming, but, sorry, this was not it.

• When It's Over (Spoilers Ahead)

Jesse drives Gus and Mike to some surgeons/doctors who treat Gus before treating Mike as Gus writes their paychecks. With Mike out of commission from his wounds Gus and Jesse make their way back to the border but not before Gus brings up that Jesse can run the lab now by himself. Jesse, despite everything, still remains loyal to Walt, and says that Gus should fire him but Gus was right when he said it wouldn't work. Walt takes Hank to the chicken farm but their get diddly squat by going there and upon their second visit Hank makes a detour to visit the laundry and rather than take him there Walt got into a car collision on purpose to avoid visiting their. Skyler tries to talk Ted into paying back his IRS debt and he talks his way around blackmailing her or something and when he won't take her threats she gets Saul to strong-arm him into doing it by sending two thugs who get him to write the check but he dies in a freak accident, unfortunate but the consequence of Skyler's actions as karma goes. When Walt finds out that Jesse has been cooking in his place he visits him and Jesse has now begun to see Adrianna and Hector again and when Walt tries to get Jesse to forgive him/understand his position Jesse storms off and Walt gets tasered by Tyrus and taken to the desert where Gus tells him of his termination and to stay away from Jesse but Walt spits in his face figuratively and knows that Jesse is still on his side. Gus says that he will have to handle Hank now by himself since Walt failed to handle it like he said he would. Gus says that if tries to intervene he will kill his entire family. As Gus went from pack of ice last week to full arctic storm this week we lost a lot of his humanity and sympathy that was at the core of getting retribution for his friend's death all those years ago. Him waving Don Eladio's necklace in Hector's face and telling him that his name dies with him was worthy of the Godfather in its magnitude. When Walt panics and discovers that the money he would need to buy a new identity and disappear isn't there he snaps and the episode ends. We are now left with him having to stay and solve his problems rather than run away. It was always going to come to this, this whole season has led to this and now that Gus has swept away all his enemies under the rug like Michael Coroleone in the Godfather Part 1 Walt has no choice but to fight back or be destroyed. Questions and many other things I hope to see in the weeks to come as Walt and his family face Gus and all his fury with only two episodes left and then season 4 takes a bow. I'm kinda hoping for a cliffhanger for the finale, just a fitting ending so that when the final season starts its own point A to point B doesn't take a long time in the characters' lives later to see where there lives pick back up again. Breaking Bad keeps on cooking.

• BOOM

A few weeks ago, after the airing of theepisode titled "Shotgun" I wrotea review about the meticulous writing that will only lead to great explosions by the end of this season...

There was a genereal consensus about the beginning of this season that the pacing was too slow and that some viewers were beginning to lose interest because of it.I only wish to say this to all of those comments: Four straight weeks, four straight explosive endings all meticulously and beautifully done...something that couldn't have been pulled off if not for the careful pacing of the beginning of this season. Now these explosion might not be in the sense of what we get in the common action thriller, with huge bomb explosions and several dozens of people dying every episode but they are tons more impactful and powerful because of the writing, directing, acting, and camera-work that had to be done to slowly allow these moments to take shape...and we still have 2 episodes left this season!!!

No matter what he does in the next two episodes, Bryan Cranston's laugh at the end of this one is what will win him his next emmy and will ultimately be considered one of the brightest (even though the moment is very dark)and most powerful moments of his career...hopefully there are more to come but if not, well done Mr. Cranston. As of right now as I type this episode has a 9.3 rating on TV.com...i may be very opionated but this may be the one of the top 3 episodes of breaking bad all time and I'm saying this after the incredible last three weeks of the show. I cannot wait to see what the writers have in store for the last two episodes of this season...its gonna be a heck of a ride!

• Crawl Space

Tonight's Breaking Bad started off a little slow (let's be honest, those Skylar scenes were brutal) but things eventually picked up.

Gus delivered another great monologue in threatening Walt and his family. Such an excellent evil boss and he may have earned himself an Emmy nomination with some of those speeches as of late.

And then the final adrenaline rush of a scene with Walt wanting to get his family away only for the money to be gone. Bryan Cranston knows how to bring it to this role and the idea of him breaking down so badly that he was laughing was perfection.

Chaotic gun shooting is really not what this show does best so I am unsure of what to anticipate in the final two episodes, but something tells me they'll deliver.