Breaking Bad

Down

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 29, 2009 on AMC

• The Title Reflects the Direction in which the Show's Quality Goes with this Episode

As he's already had a slight lack of story material, screenwriter Sam Catlin shouldn't have left out two of the six main actors, especially since Hank's political incorrectness may have helped to make things a bit more entertaining. However, he did, and therefore "Down" disappoints.

Walt's and Jesse's encounters in the episode were always very good, but sadly, these scenes were a minority group in an episode overcharged with unneeded insights into the family lives of the show's two protagonists and poorly written script. Some parts of that just aren't realistic and made me question the writer's intelligence while others were simply unnecessary. I highly dislike Jesse's parents (mostly because these two actors just aren't good) and unfortunately, this also merged with Aaron Paul giving a subpar performance. Bryan Cranston was the only really good actor in "Down" while Anna Gunn was over the top.

Now while it isn't a really bad episode just due to the show's general style being very good, I found myself bored while watching it, which is never a good attribute for anything that's made for the purpose of entertainment.
  • Walt and Skyler face troubles and Jesse goes homeless.

There was a moment here, like many moments later and before this one, where Walt could've made everything easier on himself and cleared up all sorts of issues by just saying a few simple words. Skyler was on his case and was clearly furious with Walt for how closed off he is and she can read through all of his weird attempts to seem normal again. She knows he's hiding something, and near the end of the episode, she straight up asks him what it is he's hiding. And he stands there, teary-eyed, likely pondering what would happen if he were to admit to being a meth dealer. It's little subtle moments like this that make Breaking Bad so much better than other dramas on television right now. It's such a small moment, but for us and for Walt, it proves that cooking meth isn't necessarily something he's doing for his family anymore, although it may have been his excuse at first. It's come down to the fact that this is what he's best at: chemistry. People love his product, and instead of simply being a high school teacher, he's the creator of something amazing, something people get use out of. The fact that it's meth doesn't mean much to a man who wants to something significant with his last remaining years.

Does this make him selfish? A bit, but Bryan Cranston is just so GOOD at doing it. This episode had some of the best scenes between characters I've seen all year.. Walt and Skyler, Jesse and his parents, Walt and Jesse.. just a lot of stuff to like here. Especially Walt and Skyler. They clearly love each other, but the state of their relationship at this point is simply a testament to how far Walt has gone and how much he's screwed up. He's letting his excuses and lies build up, and over time, it'll topple over.

I honestly think this was Jesse's episode though. Aaron Paul is incredible in this role, and this was his chance to really make us feel some sympathy for him. Much like Walter, there's much to dislike about the man, but the acting sucks us in and forces us to like him and root for him.

This season continues to amaze me, I am so impressed with Breaking Bad, that it has easily become one of the best dramas on television, better than any network drama, I can tell you that much. This episode was wildly eventful, and we even got a pretty big cliffhanger.

Jesse hits rock bottom as he gets kicked out of his own home, his RV is gone, he gets his bike stolen, he owes someone money, and he has no one to stay with. He desperately keeps turning to Walt only to get rejected since Walt has other things to worry about. His crumbling relationship with his wife and his son distancing himself from him.

He tries to become closer to his family and tries to reconcile with his wife, but fails miserably. The reason why this episode was so good was we got some top notch intense scenes here, between Jesse and his mom to the very intense scene between Walt & Jesse in the RV. The end was complete perfection.

Jesse gets the money, and even though Jesse almost choked Walt to death, each other is all they have, which we see when Walt offers him breakfast. The last scene was disturbing. Skyler smoking while she's pregnant, wow. We have a woman on the verge here, and I'm definitely excited for next week's Breaking Bad.
  • Very intense episode emotionally. This show is not for the faint of heart!

In this episode, the tension between Walt and Skyler is shown to be through the roof. It is agonizing to watch, because so well done. Skyler is acting out in a passive agressive fasion, but only because she has no other way left to cope. She knows Walt is lying but what can she do when he refuses to tell her what is behind the lies. On the other side of town, Jesse reaches an unbearable state of desperation. the escalation with each of Jesse's scenes is so well done - first getting the news of being evicted, then the day he is thrown out of the house, then getting more and more desperate as he realizes he has no money, basically no possessions and no one to turn to, and things get even worse from there. Great acting - painful to watch the characters get so beaten down. Finally, the scene at the end with Skyler in the car in the convenience store parking lot ... what she did at that moment - it shocked me and also was hard to watch. so...much...damage.....
  • Jesse and Walt clash.

How intense was the scene with Jesse and Walt in the trailer? Bryan Cranston is certainly showing that he deserved that Emmy and this show is proving that it is as brilliant as anything else on TV.

Breaking Bad is the quintessential antithesis of the hero's journey showing that good things do not always happen to people. Very programs portray life as realistically as Double B does.

The dialogue is just outstanding as nothing feels scripted and this feels almost like a documentary of a troubled family rather than an episodic drama. But it is the latter and is unambiguously one of the best things about Sundays.
  • Tensions up, Jesse's luck down

This is a most fortunate episode because of how unfortunate Jesse's luck comes to be. After Badger's cousin has taken and stored their RV meth lab and awaiting further payment as his parents foreclose his aunt's house where he was living. Jesse needs some of the money from his and Walt's last deal otherwise he is screwed. So he starts begging his friends, and even breaks into the lot where the RV is just to catch a few Zzz's. Badger's cousin catches him and threatens to sell the meth lab if Jesse can't come up with the payment. But Jesse breaks back in and hijacks the RV and desperately tries to get a hold of Walt to get his hands on some dough. Meanwhile, after suspecting that Walt may have a second phone that she doesn't know about Skyler and Walt clash as she asks for the truth, something that Walt just can't seem to tell her. Jesse parks outside of Walt's house, they fight, and then after they simmer down Walt gives Jesse his cut in a doggy bag and they both have bear. Overall a good addition but you just keep thinking "Poor Jesse" throughout the whole thing.
  • Everyone in their private circle of hell

After a more detailed flash-forward with the fluffy bunny in the pool, we got to see the slowly devastating results of Walt and Jesse's actions. Skyler turns the tables on Walt, leaving for hours without telling, and seeking relief in tobacco. Walt Jr. adds some mild puberty rebellion to his behaviour, denouncing his dad indirectly by being called Flynn by his friends. Walt's attempts at reconnecting (pancakes, driving lessons) do not bring the desired results, since he's unable to tell the truth. The lack of trust eats at the foundation of this family. It does not bode well.

Jesse, as usual, has his own weekly pile to wallow through. His parents evict him from his house, his former friends can't help him out and his bike gets stolen right from under his nose. Eventually crashing in his Winnebago, covered in port-a-potty chemicals, he burst into tears. If he wasn't such a stupid junkie, you'd almost feel sorry for him. I still give him points for his resilience, the guy’s practically a cockroach.

No Hank, no Marie, no crazy Mexican drug lords, no shoot-out or naked buttocks, but a nice display of the two main players and how they deal with the crap they created around themselves and their loved ones.