Breaking Bad

Face Off

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 09, 2011 on AMC

• Brilliant Finale

Just finished season 4 and this goes to show why this show is good in storyline and characterization also the black humour is fantastic (Ted death by a rug LOL ) I Think walt clearly realised that he made too many sacrifices to get rid of Gus and using his chemistry put his plan to good effect still wondering how he managed to take out the resin cigarette maybe during the fight with Jesse. But then somehow did he mange to plant the flower seeds in the boy food ? Due to this actions he will have some difficulties in Season 5 I think Gus determination and vengeance a bit like in Game of Thrones with the Red Viper got better of him. What will happen to Hank now the Drug lab gone cause now Walt didn't go for Saul offer of Disappearance so if he cooks with Jesse the DEA will be back on his case.
  • My face was off as well at the end

What is there to say? Season four's finale topped everything there has been up to that point and combines everything that makes Breaking Bad as outstanding as it is. I won't go into every detail in this review because there are really too many noteworthy things about "Face Off", but I'll at least bring up the cream of the crop.

This episode's first quarter or maybe even more is unexpectedly tame and contains a great amount of laughs (kudos once again to Vince Gilligan's fantastic writing), but with the clock ticking, the intensity is looming until we get to "Casa Tranquila" and have Hector Salamanca's scene at Tuco's desert house seem like flyspeck. Holy shite. But "Face Off" isn't over with that ineffable moment that gives it its title prepare for something even better to come. As we have scenes showing all the main characters reacting to what has just happened in a fashion as if this is the ending of the whole series (FYI, it is not), it's the most entertaining to watch and all and I definitely would have written an acclaiming review. However, what makes "Face Off" as epic and unforgettable as it is, is the very last shot: if Hank would turn out to be a woman right now, it still wouldn't be a bigger plot twist than that. I personally didn't expect that at all (confession bear: I never really think about possibilities and stuff while watching an episode, but only after and before it) and was blown away by it, as was, in a more literal sense, a character of the series, but that's something completely different.

Altogether, "Face Off" is just perfect combining comedy, drama, thrill, and action into one sublimely written, beautifully shot, and unsurpassably scored episode is quite a feat and the thing I would like to do most right now is erase all my memory about this episode and watch it again, not expecting anything about these perfect 50 minutes.
  • Fantastic Finale.

To the person below: When has Walt ever been a 'hero'? He has always been an anti-hero who does despicable as well as good things for his family. The theme is quite consistent.
  • Betraying the Hero.

How can Gilligan turn against Walt so quickly. At the beginning of the series, there was no judgement on Walt. In fact Hank was the guy we all thought was crass and very unlikeable. Let's hope Gilligan doesn't spend the next season shaking the finger at Walt. Keep it objective and keep the theme constant which is society that is the 'bad
  • Flawless

Perfect. The naysayers below are pretty much wrong on every critical point. But to each their own.

Gus death was well executed... a pipe bomb on a wheel chair is easily missed especially after sweeping once. This show is just so dang realistic while still exciting. Is 2 seconds of Zombie Gus possible... maybe, there's some gruesome stuff you'll witness in one's final seconds.

Walt is obviously a brilliant chemist. Putting the boy in POSSIBLE danger (poison OD) to protect your family while taking out one of the most ruthless person on the planet is both logical and reasonable in a very loose moral perspective.

This episode isn't even close to being below a "9"
  • Vince Gilligan does it again!!!

This may have been the BEST season finale in TV history!!!! Breaking Bad, may go on to be the BEST TV drama EVER!!! If you haven't seen Breaking Bad yet, I suggest you go out and see an episode!!
  • Brilliant

The end shot leaves a lovely question hanging for season five....Overall the ep was fantastic...
    Walter really does prove his smarts and Jessie is marginly less annoying than usual.
    The action is so unpredictable, to a point, but even when you know what is going to happen, it's still a shock...

• A truly let down finale..

As KappaNeko already said below, Gus death was very poorly written. His bodyguard should have noticed the bomb.

Another aspect that I didn't like about this show is I started to like Fring more than Walt. I so wanted Walt to die because his character has turned into this vicious guy losing all sense of humanity and can do anything to save his family. It doesn't matter to him if has to kill a child or a neighbor (checking on his house), or anyone else for that matter. I don't know if that was the intention of the writers, but the villain here seems to be Walt and not the drug dealers.

• Let-down finale of a disappointing season

I am surprised about the overwhelmingly positive feedback about this episode.

The season 4 finale is not great. It's not even particularly good.

Why?

For starters, Gus' death was poorly written. Maybe I just didn't get the timeline...

So we are supposed to believe that neither meticulous and paranoid Gus nor his muscle spot the explosive?!

Obviously it wasn't there when the bodyguard first scanned the room. So when exactly did Walt put it there? I can't tell. As I understood it, Gus went inside right after the scan said it was safe. So Walt had no time for it! Or am I missing something??

Even if he did, the device wasn't very well hidden. You'd think Gus would double-check himself since he was already expecting a bomb!

Oh well, and what was that bizarre scene with his blown off face? Most ridiculous scene of the entire show. Ruined his death for me. Sorry, I know BB dishes out black humor a lot but that was just painfully embarrassing, Terminator action movie crap.

So the moment this entire season has been leading up to ended in a very unsatisfactory way. I don't see what's clever about it at all.

Compared to the excellent previous episode, the finale is not particularly exciting.

There is barely any tension. We all knew Gus was going to die. The question was, who else would die. Obviously nobody of interest. There wasn't even a threat to Walt's family anymore. Nor Walt and Jesse (not more so than how it was before, I mean).

The only actual nice twist was the last scene with the flower. I didn't see that coming at all.

That part I liked. But a bit thin for a cliffhanger.

I was expecting a high-tension episode, picking up where the previous episode left off.

What I got was a less than exciting and downright silly departure of Gus and nothing else worth mentioning except for the last 30 seconds.

Well, it is representative of season 4 in that respect. I liked season 3 a great deal more.

Weakest season so far.
  • Show of all time.

Middle world of Walter's chemistry. Very good final of the season and all series. Death of Gus brillient, Jessie bring the peace to the galaxy. I will be missed of this great show. This episode shows should looks like end of TV series. All plot was resolved.
  • The evolution of Walt is complete

Gus Fring is dead. Long live Gus Fring!

A truly amazing season finale! I can't wait for the remaining seasons.

It is interesting to contrast the evolution of Walt and Jesse. Jesse originally came off as the badass drug dealer. However, the path that he has chosen (or, rather, that Walt has chosen for him) is taking its toll. Losing his girlfriend to a heroin overdose (which was fully preventable by Walt, let's not forget) nearly broke him. The scene in which he dialed her phone over and over just to hear her voice on the answering machine was heartbreaking. And then, having to kill Gayle seemed to push him over the edge - he develops a full-blown case of PTSD which still seems to haunt him.

Walt, on the other hand, started out as a mild-mannered schoolteacher, the kind who would literally not be able to hurt a fly. His first killing (in self-defense) was awkward and amateurish. But it didn't end there. By the end of the fourth season, he is an accomplished killer. Note how he kills Jesse's guard without even a second thought. It seems that the more his body count rises, the less remorse he feels.

Gus is now dead and gone (in a rather spectacular manner) - but it doesn't matter. For all intents and purposes, Walt has subsumed Gus and become the embodiment of ruthlessness, amorality and yes, true evil, that Gus possessed.

Here's hoping that Walt finds some measure of redemption, and regains his humanity before "Heisenberg" corrupts him forever.
  • Wow, TV at its best

This was the year of Breaking Bad. Previously living under the shadows of Mad Men, Breaking Bad took full advantage of M.M creator's salary dispute with AMC. It had been picking pace since season 2, and hit its peak this year. Season started with double barrel bangs in the premier and maintained the thrill through its 13 episodes. Walter White and Jesse Pinkman were the show runners for 3 previous seasons, but this year Gustavo Fring, Gus, made his mark as the most elegant and outstanding character in a cast of extremely talented characters/actors. Season 4 raised B.B from a very good TV Show to just about the league of The Wire and The Sopranos (Please tell me you've seen one of these at least). The penultimate episode of the show was the finest piece of art that ever blessed our TV/Computer screens. It was a battle between Walter and Gus in which Jesse was being used as a pawn. Both of the big shots knew that the town was big enough for only one of them and one of them had to go for good. Walter displayed his evil side which he had previously hinted at in the final scene of the episode. It confirmed that Walter had gone to the depths of poisoning a young boy to turn Jesse against Gus. Walter finally got his way and got one over Gus. He used every trick in the book and manipulated every character on the show to kill Gus. The one that finally worked was an unusual person, Tio Salamanca, the disabled rival of Gus. Walter crafted a master plan to kill Gus and it was beautifully picturized as well by the director. The scene when Gus dies, was one of the best scenes of all times in my opinion. It was quite literally (not metaphorically) jaw dropping.

For more reviews please see my blog 'T.V et al' at

• The accumulated changes in Walter White bear fruit (actually, little berries). [SPOILERS]

The showdown between Walter and Gus takes center stage for this story, and just one or two subplots manage to nose their way in. The resolution of the season-long conflict was mostly satisfying. Mostly.

First, a fond farewell to Giancarlo Esposito, whose dead-eyed Gus Fring will be missed. The show has done a good job of giving us progressively better villains -- from Krazy-8 to Tuco to the cousins to Gus -- and Mr. Esposito will be a hard act to follow. (Hey, we may well get more ... the many dead characters on this show tend to have flashback-related half-lives.) Season 5 will have some big shoes to fill coming up with a new villain. And they'll have a hard time topping the lastest in a series of over-the-top deaths. Thumbs-up for not relying entirely on the CGI to carry that scene; little touches like Gus straightening his tie (which I buy) and the shocked reaction from the nurses who know this patient is beyond help ... such touches make the scene.

Jesse Pinkman didn't have a whole lot to do this episode: just some adroit cat-and-mouse with police detectives followed by playing the damsel-in-distress at the superlab. (Ironically, having proven that he can cook nearly as well as Walter, he was treated to the very fate that Walter had avoided, twice: being essentially a prisoner/slave of drug lords.) He got a happy ending with his nearly-family, which I didn't see coming.

The family at Camp Schrader ... well, they might as well have had the week off for all the impact they had on the story.

So that leaves Walter as the almost full focus of the episode, following a plan of action he formed an episode back when his spinning pistol pointed to the Lily of the Valley potted plant, and continuing a character transformation that began in that same exact spot, tossing lit matches into his pool before resolving to cook methamphetamine. (What IS it about that pool?) His list of crimes now includes sending the nice neighbor lady into harm's way to see if he could enter his house safely, bombing an old folk's home, and killing two henchmen in cold blood. Oh, and poisoning a child to manipulate his estranged partner.

Wait, what was that? Yeah, it looks like he poisoned Brock. How, exactly? When did he get the opportunity? And HOW did he get that ricin cigarette away from Jesse? Did Saul Goodman's goon swap packs with Jesse during his patdown? (Looking at it frame-by-frame, no, he didn't.) And if so, then that means that Saul and Walter conspired in it ... so how come Walter has to go to such lengths to track down Saul early in the episode? There are holes here; I doubt they'll be filled, but, rather, papered-over early in Season 5.

Unusually, things feel mostly resolved at the end of this season. There's no dangerous villain, no impending death, no exploding planes ... no immediate crisis of any sort. The story could move in many directions. It seems unlikely that Walter will retire (he tried that before in Season 2's "Over," and it didn't take). Once again, the field is clear for expansion of the business (with Gus AND the bulk of the Cartel dead). But the nature here is different from previous stories; in the deaths of Emilio, Krazy-8 and Tuco, Walter and Jesse essentially bumbled their way into success. This time, the take-down is big, the execution was cold-blooded calculation, and the hole in the local drug trade is bigger than ever. There are repurcussions coming -- locally from the DEA, and from the remaining Cartels in Mexico ... and Mike, who Jesse says is "gonne be pissed" -- but Walter has grown to the point that he is up to the challenge.

And that's Walter, as in Walter alone. Previously, he had relied on his Heisenberg persona to do his dirty work. Not now. At the end of the episode, Walter calls Skyler and tells her that all is well with a two-word phrase: "I won." Walter White and Heisenberg are two very distinct characters as played by Bryan Cranston, and I honestly cannot discern, in that final line, which character said those words. The two have become one. Metastasization complete.

• Breaking Bad meets The Walking Dead!

Well once again Vince Gilligan did it again, made the show better then anything ontelevision. First i would like to say that this episode was the best Breaking Bad episode ever. Now that i got that out of my system, i have to talk about the episode. This episode was perfect because anything could happen, the way that Vince Gilligan set this episode up got everybody talking. Only one of mypredictioncame true was that Waltpoisoned Brock, my other twopredictionswas that Mike kills Gus and Jesse finds out that Waltpoisoned Brock. Now whathappened to each character, Walt was still trying to protect his family, except this time death was closer then ever. Walt has changed since the first episode, in this episode we see Walt (spoileralert)poisoned a child and risked his neighbor and the residents of the theretirementhome life. Jesse had an interestingstory linethis episode, Jesse was beinginterrogated by the FBI for being a suspect ofpoisoning Brock. A thought "couldJessego to prison?" "plot of season 5?". The final character i will talk about is Gus, (If youhaven'tseen this episode yet, whats wrong with you, and stop reading because i will mention a big spoiler) Gus finally got what was coming to him, that final scene with Gus was awesome, when he walked out of the room i was jumping out of my seat "can anything kill this man" i was thinking until the scene progressed and you see his face "HOLY S@#$". this episode proved to the world why this show will berememberedforever, its to bad Gus will absent for season 5, but idon'tthink that will be the last time we will see or hear about Gustavo Fring.

• Classic.

It's the episode that will define Breaking Bad for many years.

when hear someone saying breaking bad is boring. will this episode will break it out for him, a 12 episode summarize in one last phnomnal finale.

Vince did an amazing job with the show, from the first season you feel like this show will be a true classic in TV. as The Sopranos, The Wire and Lost long before it. this show just arrived above them.

a season to be remembered as the best season of all time, it's a shame to go without wining an Emmy awards. as the breathtaking season of The Sopranos did in season 5. and Lost did in season 1. and the Wire did in season 4 even though he didn't win it.

The episode written in a classic way, and directed in a breathtaking way, and acted in a outstanding way. It was PERFECT in so many way.

Walt, Jesse, Gus, Hank and Skyler. the perfect cast. they did a brilliant job this season.

Walt and Gus must win an Emmy award next season. the show should win best directed episode for 'Face Off' and written episode for 'Crawl Space' and Walt for 'Crawl Space', Gus for 'Sauld' and Jesse for 'Problem Dog'.

Thank you Vince Gilligan !

I truly deeply can't fu**ing wait for the next and last season.

10/10.

• Walt breaks even more bad?

Another 10 for Breaking Bad. I could go on my spiel about how I only give 10's to episodes that truly deserve it, that represent an absolute classic, but I'll try not to explain and defend my rating. This was an episode of Breaking Bad that not only brought the season to a satisfying end but brought plots from the last three seasons to a close. I'm sure there were some people who predicted certain things happening here, but for me, it was a huge shock to see how Walter White came out on top this time.

The episode picks up where the last one left off: Walt rushes to get the car bomb off of Gus' car while him and Jesse are forced to regroup after their plan to kill Gus fails. However, things grow even more complicated (as they always do) after Jesse is picked up by the FBI since the mention of ricin piqued their curiosity. He gets questioned while Walt rushes to get Saul's location to prevent Jesse from having to reveal anything. The early scenes (that are ripe with little dark humorous moments, typical for this show) all lead into a moment that ends up changing the momentum of the entire episode: Jesse informs Walt that Gus occasionally visits Tio at the nursing home. Walt realizes he can use Gus and Tio's rotten relationship to his advantage. Thus begins the superb final forty minutes of the episode, a long, drawn out scenario constructed ingeniously by Walter White.

Basically, Walt sets it up so that Tio will be seen by Tyrus visiting the DEA. Of course, Tio gives up no information, but under Walt's orders, Tio visits, insults Hank and leaves. Gus learns that Tio was seen visiting the DEA (with no information about whether or not he said anything of value) and after another long scene of Tyrus seeing if the room is bugged or not, visits Tio to silence him once and for all. However, just before he's about to administer a shot that will kill Tio, Gus notices Tio glaring at him, the first time he's looked at Gus all season. It turns out that Walt rigged Tio's wheelchair with a bomb, connecting it to the bell he used to communicate. The room explodes, Gus exits with half of his face missing, straightens his tie and falls to the ground, dead.

Walt then shows up at the lab and kills Gus' two men that are watching over Jesse as he cooks and together, Walt and Jesse burn down the lab. Walt learns from Jesse that Brock wasn't poisoned by ricin, that it was a flower called Lily of the Valley. They leave each other on good terms, with the chapter of Gus in the past. Walt informs his wife, "I won," and hangs up, proud of himself. The season ends with the camera zooming in on a pot of flowers in Walt's backyard with the label "Lily of the Valley" on it.

I'll be honest: there were moments in the episode that should'vekept the score from being perfect. There were moments that I thought didn't mesh well with the overall tone of the show. The scene where Gus exits the room with half of his face blown off was chilling and the type of horrifying scene the show plays off so well, but boy, the whole "straighten my tie thing before I die" was a step too far in my eyes. Also, I felt like the reveal of the "Lily of the Valley" flower in Walt's backyard, while being a huge revelation for the show, was a weak image to end on, especially considering the last two seasons.

However, the way this episode was able to close the door on not just Gus Fring but also the super-lab, Tio Salamanca and the whole Brock poisoning thing was incredible. The show moved as slow as it usually does at moments and then burst to life at other times. It was just a wonderful episodes that leaves us wondering what in the world Walter White will do next. There's no meth lab, no Gus, no reason to continue cooking, since it'll become obvious that there's still people out there besides Gus involved, which will pique Hank's curiosity. Also, Mike is still alive, and I'm assuming that's for a specific reason. Season 5 is way too far away.

(Oh, and on a completely different note, what is happening to the ratings of the episode on the site? How is "Caballo Sin Nombre" in the top ten? Either people are under-rating great episodes only to over-rate crappier ones or the website is screwing with the ratings. Seriously. Seven Thirty Seven and Caballo Sin Nombre over any of the other episodes over the last few seasons? Lame.)

• Best show on TV/Cable Ever

This is my favorite show of all time, better than True Blood, Dexter, The Sopranos, I enjoyed the X-files when it was on, I see now why I did, Vince Gilligan is a genius writer. This season wasbrilliantly setup, the last episode, End Times had so many hidden items, it makes you want to rewatch the season all over again, hint: Watch Huell's search of Jessie again. Now what I don't understand, is Breaking bad has been getting scores of 9.5 and obove by fans of the show for the past 6 episodes, up until a few days ago the finale episode was rated a 9.5. the same with the prior 5 shows. Now all of a sudden it's rated a 9.1? Salud was one of the best episodes this season, it was rated a 9.7. Now all of a sudden it's a 8.9????? That makes no sense, sounds like some troll is posting multiple negative reviews, and TV.com should delete them, it give this show no justice.

• No review, no spoilers; only opinion.

Watch the episode yourself, then watch it again. Rinse and repeat. Thrilling, chilling, and sickening.

The only words I can think of to describe this episode are: "The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner; now *I* am the master."

Or maybe this is more apropos: "Only the master of evil [Walter]"

Brilliant, brilliant show. Not a typical cliffhanger, but, in some ways, a much worse one, especially knowing that season 5 is the full and final resolution.

• A great end of series. The penultimate. Filled with movie and series references, think Arnie, dark humour and intrigue. Double crosses still continue amongst friends and allies alike. BB is the pinnacle of 'grey morality', which many of us would do!

This episode could have ended so many ways. I was expecting Walt to off the lot of them and because there's no other kingpin, to take the chair. Perhaps, this is going to be his justice. Like in the Shield a bent cop was demoted to menial tasks, perhaps a job you don't want, like a king gangster with lots of people waiting their time, might be a fitting ending.

We have 16 more episodes left. Though, we're going to have to wait probably a year to get there.

This episode, Walt has to double guess at every step to stay ahead of the game. I would say the family tension isn't as strong as other episodes. I would say that maybe they ought to have directed more slower scenes with the tension. Unlike other series, where there's a lot of action or SFX, BB has quite a slow ending.

It's a pity we are drawn to a visual shot of the plant in Walt's garden at the end. This suggests a bit of mal practice on his part. It's a pity it wasn't alluded to much in passing before. That was the only let down. It was a lot like a USA Blade Runner, talk over explanation ending.

It was good to see Saul back. He's one of my fav characters. If he don't do stand up.. he ought to!

Breaking Bad concludes its fourth season in explosive fashion. There were some parts I did not like and it is only fair to address them. I thought they resolved everything a little too early and we had about 15 minutes of restrained jubilation with Walt and Jesse standing around realizing they were safe (I guess they were preparing for the offchance AMC did not renew the show.)

But that's a small complaint. From Gus' half fixing his suit while the other half disintegrated, to the revelation at the end that Walt will in fact use a child, you saw the lines between good and evil blurred and it was fantastic. Not since Lost has a show been this captivating on a weekly basis.

Sad to hear that the next season will be the last, but best to go out on a high note. They certainly did that this year.

• The Outlaw Walter White (Spoilers Ahead)

Breaking Bad ended its magnificent 4th season this week with the tour de force episode "Face Off" which btw isn't that horrible movie with John Travolta and Nicolas Cage. We start off right where we left off with Walt hurriedly removing the bomb from off of Gus's car and taking it into the hospital (not really thinking is he?) Jesse is then pulled aside by some detectives regarding his Ricin suspicion talk at the hospital in regards to Brock's poisoning. While he stews in the cage Jesse waits for Saul and doesn't give them what they want. Walt goes to Saul's office and breaks in but has to pay off Franchesca to get the number he's at. He parks from his house and gets a neighbor to go check on the house in a lie to make any intruders show themselves. Wow, Walt willingly put another person in danger to feed his own means, now that's otherworldly cold. But as soon as the thugs that were there clear out he sneaks in and gets the money but the thugs take chase after him. Jesse gets visited by Saul in the pen while Skyler, Walter Jr., Marie, and Hank all sit under protection. Hank is still looking into the laundry as a possible meth lab seeing that the place has a lot of power amps for just a laundry. Saul and Walt meet up and Walt learns of a possible ally in Hector Salamanca to get back at Gus. Walt approaches Hector about his plot for revenge but when Hector later reveals he wants to speak to Hank and the DEA through his nurse and gets dragged all the way down there it doesn't prove to be anything beyond showing that he was talking to the feds. At first it was a thought that Walt was being ratted out by Hector. But sure enough Tyrus calls Gus who tells him that Hector must be dealt with. When Tyrus sweeps the retirement home for bugs he finds nothing and Gus arrives and walks his Green Mile to Hector's room. Does it seem strange to anyone else that this retirement home people can just go into an old man's room unnoticed and lock the door? It seems sketchy that places can let that slide. Anyway as soon as Gus is about to minister poison to kill Hector for being a rat or as he says a tool of sorts in Spanish. Hector then finally looks Gus in the eyes like he so wants and rings his bell/bomb off and Gus runs for the door only to have half of his face blown off in one of the coolest looking deaths ever on TV. Even in near death he still has to adjust his tie. Jesse is let go as the toxicology screening says that it wasn't Ricin but a different plant. Skyler gets a call from Walt saying that all is well but she is sure that he had something to do with the explosion. With Gus dead, Jesse also got tazed and picked up by thugs of Gus and Walt kills them and they jointly burn down the superlab in a show of fireworks and chemicals. Now that they're out from Gus's finger they have to decide where to go from here. The lab remnants will be discovered (maybe I don't know with all the chemicals and stuff) and with Brock being ok Walt also failed to mention that he poisoned Brock. In the final shot of the season the plant that Walter's gun pointed at is indeed the one that poisoned Brock. Gus may be dead, and Walt's transformation nearly complete but he needs to be on top before he can truly fall. Also good poetic death for Gus, his blind spot was always the death of friend and Don Salamanca so seeing his tragic letting it get personal when he is always all business was a great touch. The worst may be behind for Walt, or so he thinks. He's put so much on the line for his own skin that he's not redeemable from what I can tell, he hasn't willingly put anyone Jesse cared about in danger since (sort of) Jane's death in Season 2. Maybe these secrets will resurface in the fifth and final season to make Jesse and Walt go against each other since there is no Gus anymore to fight. This episode directed by Vince Gilligan almost plays out as a western almost all from Walt's point of view most of the way through the episode and it's fitting since this episode like many westerns is about an outlaw killing an even more dangerous outlaw. Face Off was a predictable success because it was expected yet so well executed that it can't be riffed on for being seen from a mile away. All may be well but was Walt's "I won" all that worth with that it cost him and all the other characters? See ya next season Walt and Jesse, can't wait to see where you go from here.
  • Breaking Bad continues to prove HBO does not have a monopoly on the best TV.

This will contain tons of SPOILERS, so back out now if you haven't seen it!

When watching the Season 4 finale, it's easy to forget that the last two episodes of the season take place within the same hellish day. This is a vicious, desperate 24 hours that sees both Gus and Walter playing their best cards, because we're playing for keeps now, ladies and gentlemen. Who has the advantage? Gus, with his air-tight security and ruthless, animal poise? Or Walter, whom no one can seem to get a bead on? At this point, both have learned to treat their enemy with a respect for their intelligence. It's a game that requires strategy, instinct, and a crucial amount of luck. And with death stalking and missing the two generals at every turn, it is clear how evenly matched the two men are.

So evenly matched, in fact, that they need a third party to break the stalemate: Jesse Pinkman. For all the cunning and resolve of Gus and Walter, it's Jesse who's the queen. Jesse has replaced Walter as Gus's cash cow, and initially is the only thing standing between Walter and Gus's wrath. As relations deteriorate earlier in the season, his position as the common ground of two warring parties is perfectly clear to him, and he must at last decide where his loyalties truly lie.

The battle for Jesse's loyalty strikes very near to home when his girlfriend's son, Brock, is poisoned. In a confrontation with Walt, who he first blames, Jesse decides to cast his lot in with Walter's, and the two begin a mission to get at Gus from within his own network. After Walt's failed attempt to bomb a wary Gus, Jesse nevertheless pulls through with the tiebreaker: Hector.

Preying on Gus's one, hitherto concealed weakness of a hatred for an old enemy, Walt successfully lures Gus into his trap and finishes him in gruesome fashion. Team Meth-Cook has prevailed and left a mess so chaotic that the DEA likely won't have the slightest clue as to how to dissect it.

It seems that all is well and everyone is happy and safe once more. But as we soon learn, it was Walter, not Gus, who poisoned Brock in a bid for Jesse's loyalty.

I had my suspicions, but one of the great things about Breaking Bad is it allows you to have as many suspicions as you want, but manages to make you constantly second-guess, debate, and then give up and wait for the truth which is often ten times better than anything you had worked out in your mind.

And so, Walter's victory is well-earned, if not exactly deserved. True, he is the great puppet master, pulling the subtlest psychological strings of both friend and foe in a plan so elaborate that the slightest fracture will result in a prompt series finale with Walter and his family filled with bullet holes. His execution, intelligence, and resolve have carried the day in brilliant fashion. But... he IS a bad guy. A pretty damn BAD guy. Who would have ever thought that the quaint, pushover Chemistry teacher of the pilot would have become one of the greatest antiheroes of modern television? And that such a transformation would be believable?

As for next season, a couple things to think about: What will Brock say when he recovers? How did he get the Lily of the Valley? We never saw how he got poisoned in the first place... And there's another plot hole (likely deliberate): Jesse's lucky cigarette containing the ricin was missing when Brock became sick. Walt's explanation, which Jesse believed, was that Gus's henchman must have lifted it off him in the lab. But as Jesse finds out at the finale, Gus did not poison Brock at all. Will he realize this inconsistency?

When Mike comes back to the states, how will he react to finding his boss's organization burned to the ground, and with Walt and Jesse still prancing about merrily?

Let's not forget Ted's untimely death. (At least I think he's dead.) This is bound to have some ramifications in season 5.

When Walt narrowly dodged the men sent to kill him at his house, they would surely have looked in the crawlspace where he escaped from. Would you have taken that big bag of cash sitting there? I would have... Will Walter be content to operate a carwash for the 16 episodes scheduled next season? Doubtful. I smell a new kingpin.

• so i just witnessed the greatest season in the history of television

i haven't seen the wire and the sopranos (yet) but i think it's safe to say this season has been one of the greatest seasons of all time!

SPOILERS

the storytelling is just amazing, walter's transformation to heisenberg, jesse's transformation from a small time junkie/cook to a grown man with priorities, walt-skylar relationship, hank, GUS FRING, the cartel, etc. there are absolutely no gaps, everything is perfect (to me at least)

this episode is the perfect conclusion to a perfect season. i love how barely noticeable subtleties in the show contribute to the big picture (all season long gus wanted tio salamanka to look at him, and this episode he finally does just before detonating the bomb that will kill them both) that i my opinion was a beautiful touch.

the last scene isn't about gus fring's demise or his family's safety. it's about walter white, heisenberg, a man who in the duration of a couple of years have diminished his own remorse and humanity just to prove to himself and the world that he is a man to be feared.

nothing currently on television can touch Breaking Bad.

• Amazing Episode! Can't wait for next season!

Hank: "You can find anything on the internet"

I bet you Hank can find how to make a pipe bomb on the internet...

Let's see what else he can find that takes him closer to Walt :D

• Still going strong.

Another great episode, though the finale isn't quite the cliff-hanger season 3's was, it was still an amazing ride.

My favourite part as morbid as this sounds was Gus walking out of the hospital room adjusting his tie, for a minute there you really think he's invincible.

I suspected Walt poisoned Brock from the minute Gus didn't get in his car last episode. I felt it was a giveaway, you could almost see him putting it together, Jesse telling him Brock was poisoned, Gus knowing it wasn't him that poisoned Brock.

That tip of the hand was the only thing that kept this episode from a perfect 10. It made the final shot a little anticlimactic for me. But given even that, it was still an amazing ride, even figuring what the twist was it was still worth it to watch Walter's reaction to every revelation and every move.

As far as I'm concerned the only question left is, where's Mike?

• Nothing short of a perfect end to ANY big name final.

Now I have seen a slew of finals. True blood, game of thrones, burn notice. Well all the returning heavy hitters. Breaking bad broke the mold. ending in such tension u could cut it with a knife. white and gus head for a showdown and we are left guessing till the last momment who will be drug kingpin. In the end we see a turly evil mr white having killed all those who stand in his way. this to me could have ended the show thats how tight they wraped up the plot lines. Everyone figuard gus had to go but right up till the end u never knew. This felt like season 5 wants a clean sled and new storys. to me amc is telling the very best storys right know

• nothing short of perfection

Well, here we are; the final episode of season 4. This was pretty much everything you could hope for the final episode of the season. It happens. By "it" i refer to the demise of one Gustavo Fring. Yep, Gus died, and what a scene it was. I was expecting Hector (or whatever his name was, I know a Hector was mentioned but I don't know if it was this guy or some other guy) to kill Gus, or be a part of the killing of him (and Tyrus, who also died, but nobody really cares. he was merely in it for the ride), but the explosion that was caused. Wow. That entire moment was so intense. It was really weird to see Gus walk out of the room, half his face off (Face Off. Name of the episode. Get it?), and then him dying. I think they had it so he died so we KNEW he would die. I mean, if the scene ended with him walking out, naturally people would think he was still alive, only to find out when next season rolled along he died.

The ricin plot was interesting too. I was surprised when it was revealed Brock wasn't poisoned by Ricin. I thought it was something else entirely and he was not poisoned at all. Then it is revealed he was poisoned by the berries of a plant called the Lily of the Valley.

Walt calling Skyler and telling her he "won" and basically telling her he killed Gus was pretty interesting. I didn't know if he would tell her the truth or if he would just lie, like in the past.

And, the ending shot. The shot where, you know, we are in the White's backyard, we see a plant, and you can see the name of the plant being Lily of the Valley. Wow. I had read speculation on sites that say that they thought Walter poisoned Brock, and this confirmed it. Pretty interesting way to end the season.

This was a really good episode and a really good season finale. I loved pretty much everything about it. I really can't wait for a season 5, though I don't know how they will ever top this season. A+

• Vince buddy, Please end this series on a high note. This answered ALL questions. This episode reminded me of when Stringer Bell was killed in The Wire. I so wasn't expecting this but at the same time was. But as the same time wasn't. It's genius.

Vince buddy,

Please end this series on a high note. This answered ALL questions.

• AMAZING Season 4 finale... it's everything that I expected from this incredible crime drama show.

Well, it is the Season 4 finale of my favorite crime drama show "Breaking Bad". Next summer will be Season 5 which is a long wait but I can wait. At least, they didn't leave any cliffhangers for this Season 4 finale. The Season 4 finale actually had a very happy ending. We actually see Walter smile at the end of this Season 4 finale which was awesome since we've only seen Walter be angry and depressed all this season. Jesse seemed to be very happy as well. Although, Jesse does smile twice more than Walter. Walter is rarely happy and this is pretty much the only Season 4 episode where we actually see Walter smile and be happy. Everything in this Season 4 finale was everything that I've expected. Also, Gus is finally dead. That's right, after an attempt to try and kill Gus all season long... he finally died. Walter helping that angry old man (I forgot his name) get revenge on Gus was amazing. The explosion scene at the hospital which was how they planned to kill Gus was truly awesome... I loved it. Also, Walter and Jesse burning the laboratory was truly awesome as well. Too bad we won't see Walter and Jesse cooking together at the laboratory ever again. I wonder what they're gonna do in Season 5. Also, they didn't show Mike... is he dead? If anyone of you know about Mike, please message me because I'm confused if he is still recovering at the hospital or he died. Overall, an incredible with Season 4 finale with a very happy ending... I can't wait for Season 5 next summer. 10/10

• I FKN KNEW IT!

I knew it!! It was obvious that Walt poisoned Brock just so he could turn Jesse against Gus JUST so he could win the game, just brilliant absolutely brilliant , I've been with breaking bad from the very start and im NEVER giving up on this , thanks for making my night, already miss it, can't wait for the next season , MUST WATCH biches!! :D

< 1 2