Breaking Bad

Face Off

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Oct 09, 2011 on AMC

• Let-down finale of a disappointing season

I am surprised about the overwhelmingly positive feedback about this episode.

The season 4 finale is not great. It's not even particularly good.

Why?

For starters, Gus' death was poorly written. Maybe I just didn't get the timeline...

So we are supposed to believe that neither meticulous and paranoid Gus nor his muscle spot the explosive?!

Obviously it wasn't there when the bodyguard first scanned the room. So when exactly did Walt put it there? I can't tell. As I understood it, Gus went inside right after the scan said it was safe. So Walt had no time for it! Or am I missing something??

Even if he did, the device wasn't very well hidden. You'd think Gus would double-check himself since he was already expecting a bomb!

Oh well, and what was that bizarre scene with his blown off face? Most ridiculous scene of the entire show. Ruined his death for me. Sorry, I know BB dishes out black humor a lot but that was just painfully embarrassing, Terminator action movie crap.

So the moment this entire season has been leading up to ended in a very unsatisfactory way. I don't see what's clever about it at all.

Compared to the excellent previous episode, the finale is not particularly exciting.

There is barely any tension. We all knew Gus was going to die. The question was, who else would die. Obviously nobody of interest. There wasn't even a threat to Walt's family anymore. Nor Walt and Jesse (not more so than how it was before, I mean).

The only actual nice twist was the last scene with the flower. I didn't see that coming at all.

That part I liked. But a bit thin for a cliffhanger.

I was expecting a high-tension episode, picking up where the previous episode left off.

What I got was a less than exciting and downright silly departure of Gus and nothing else worth mentioning except for the last 30 seconds.

Well, it is representative of season 4 in that respect. I liked season 3 a great deal more.

Weakest season so far.