Breaking Bad

Fifty-One

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 05, 2012 on AMC

• I agree 100% with Jbirth

Sorry thefanof, but I have to pile on here. I actually signed up just to comment because ludicrous reviews like yours just piss me off to no end. It sounds like you just write stuff to get attention because, like jbirth says, your reviews make no sense. It seems like you give every episode of BB a mediocre to poor review. If you truly feel that way about each episode, then why watch the show?

So that is one contradiction; another is the fact that you don't want to call the Walt-Sklyer fight good art or give Anna Gunn credit for her acting (you actually said her acting was brutal), yet you admit that was a good scene. You know what was necessary to make that a good scene??? Anna Gunn's acting! You know what else made it a great scene? Great art! From Cranston and Gunn's incredible acting, to the unbelievable directing and photography which made Skyler feel trapped. And to the writing that led to that great scene. That is all art!

And, on a side note, I can't understand why "The Sopranos" is considered by so many to be a greater show than Breaking Bad. The crazy intensity and high stakes that BB has, and the amazing character development, particularly Walter's transformation from a pathetic, meek, sympathetic person to a monster that illicits fear and hate are 2 elements in which "The Sopranos" can't come close. I can also add the cinematography, directing, writing, and acting. Maybe the only area in which "The Sopranos" is stronger is the fact that it is more realistic. But realism isn't really the point of BB. It's about the consequences of bad decisions and I'm sure things will end horribly for Walt. Certain situations Walt and Jesse have been in would most likely have resulted in a different outcome 99% of the time. However, the character's motivations are almost always believable.

Another supposed weakness of BB is Skyler's character. I never really understand why everyone hates her. People seem to forget her husband is a criminal and that she has had every right to treat him poorly (like cheating on him via Ted). Skyler still might not have been as interesting as Carmela Soprano for the first 4 seasons of BB. But, with season 5 under way, that is no longer true. The scenes between Walter and Skyler in season 5 are far more intense than any scene between Skyler and Tony.

At any rate, I'm done. If people want to criticize the show, that's fine. But stop looking to criticize just for the sake of criticizing and back up your points at least.

As for the review: I think this was the best "non-action" episode of BB. That Skyler-Walt confrontation scene was just outstanding! And the thing is, it was super intense, yet the scene didn't even rely on suspense. Think about how amazing that is! Remember the episode, "Half-Measures", when Jesse almost got himself killed and Walt ran over the 2 thugs? Great, great scene but the intensity was mostly due to the fact that we had no idea what was going to happen or that Jesse might meet his demise. Then, Walt comes out of nowhere, and we have one of those great BB "holy shit" moments. Contrast that to the bedroom scene, in which we almost approach that same intensity without guns, gangsters, explosions, shocking moments, or cliffhangers. Just straight up brilliant acting and directing inside of a bedroom! Now if that isn't art, I don't know what is!