Breaking Bad

Fly

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM May 23, 2010 on AMC

• What a Joke - Don't Waste Your Time

1.5
    If you feel like wasting a portion of your life, then go ahead and watch this episode. (Skip to 35 minutes and you won't have missed a thing, actually just skip to the end of the episode and watch the credits, they are the best part). Filled with tons of POINTLESS stories and metaphors. Poorly written. Walt written out of his normal character (Regardless if he had slept or not), not a great choice. The whole fly concept was STUPID. I felt like I was trapped in this jail cell of a lab with them for 45 minutes straight. Obviously written by first time theme driven writers who try to translate all the characters philosophical thoughts to the screen to give viewers a false sense of meaningful episode. I remember when I was 5 years old and could write an episode like this. I think I did actually see 3 minutes of decently written script in that episode, but THATS IT. And the ending, ARE YOU JOKING?! COME ON, go ahead and slap all your viewers in the face because that's what you just did with this whole episode. I expect MUCH BETTER from such a quality show.
  • Stupidest episode!

Save your time, skip this episode. Just pointless. Why the hell did they even run this episode let alone shoot this? Why?!!?!
  • Excusez-Moi?

There's been a lot of buzz (no pun intended) about "Fly", indubitably the least orthodox of all Breaking Bad episodes, and here is my review for this strange two-man show.

As the title of the episode indicates, "Fly" revolves around just that sort of animal, which has infiltrated Walt and Jesse's lab. That would make for one minute of story, you'd say? Well, writers Sam Catlin and Moira Walley-Beckett mildly embroidered the premise, and what we get is a full-length Breaking Bad episode that serves the purpose of lowering season three's overall costs. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are the only actors with dialog during these some 45 minutes and in that time, we get a much broader look on their characters. But did the Breaking Bad audience need this? This is the thirtieth episode of the series and there are even more than that to come afterwards, so no, the Breaking Bad audience didn't need an extra look on these two characters one gets to know quite well while watching the series.

"Fly" becomes especially unnecessary through the fact that it doesn't even attempt to show us something new in the relationship that Walt and Jesse have and besides the "I won't be able to save you" at the end of the episode, nothing important is spoken. Walt's ever growing paranoia is not at all new, getting anxious because of a fly merely constitutes the apex of his insanity. Over the first quarter of an hour, the episode appears as an appealing alternation compared to the other episodes, but very soon, it's impossible to not lose interest in the dull and averagely portrayed conversations the series' protagonists are sharing this time around. I rolled my eyes more than once due to the utter pointlessness of "Fly" why couldn't Vince Gilligan take the two minutes that were truly necessary for the story and add them to another episode?

And now for those who adore this episode: I did see the metaphors and allegories in this episode; I also did find some joy in the great cinematography and editing. However, does that annul all the other flaws? In my humble opinion, it doesn't at all.

• What did I just watch?!?

I have been marathoning this show for the last week so all of the episodes are still fresh in my mind and this was by far the most uneventful, boring and unnecessary episode yet. I barely finished it. Walt was acting like a lunatic over a fly.... that's it. I thought things might get interesting when he started talking about the night Jane died, but that went nowhere. This is a great show but I could have done without this episode.
  • Nearly killed the show

This is a very bad episode. It's meant to be a psychological metaphor or sort, but it fails to convey anything remotely important to the narrative we were previously following. The first 20 minutes should have been cut down to 30 seconds. One too many of these type of non-narrative episodes and the show become irrelevant. Just a reminder, there is a good storyline in this show, you are not making some auteur film for the festival circuit. It's great to be ambitious and all, but that doesn't mean it's interesting in anyway to waste half the episode to show one actor chasing a fly. We get it, we got it in 30 seconds, it didn't need half an hour to drive this through. It's the worst episode so far. If the first episode was something like that, I'd never have watched the second one.
  • Easily the most ridiculous episode of this show, nevermind this season.

Not only was this the most uneventful episode ever, but it also managed to contain the most unrealistic and unbelievable moments yet, from both Jesse and Walt.

Firstly I think Walts overreaction to the fly in general was a tad ridiculous. Yes he is a die-hard chemist and perfectionist, but I don't think he would risk ruining the batch for the sake of a fly (I'm pretty sure they ruined at least one batch, Walt prevented Jesse from adding the alkali and they said they had 2 hours to do it, when the episode seemed to span longer than that). Walt is a clever man, we've seen him get out of many tricky situations, the RV scrapyard showdown with Hank, creating a battery in the middle of the desert, et cetera... so when I see him be outwitted by a fly for a whole night and day (he stays in the lab overnight) I think it's a tad ridiculous. Why didn't it occur to him to get Jesse to add the alkaline, or keep cooking, whilst he kept a look out for the fly at least, rather than suspending the process and risking an entire batch for some insane fly hunt?

Also both characters show an unusual level of idiocy in this episode, are you seriously telling me Jesse balanced a ladder on two rickety platforms to reach a fly on the vent shaft? Nevermind that, but he also done it and then asked Walt, WHO HE HAD JUST SEDATED, to hold the ladder for him. Even by Jesses standards that is super dumb.

Similarly, Walt doesn't hesitate to swing as hard as he can at a fly when it is balancing over his precious instruments and vats, the same ones we see him clean meticulously in a past episode. Also he is happy to take off his shoe, and throw it at a light when a fly is balancing on it. Seriously? Are you telling me the same guy who would get worked up about a fly in his lab would throw his shoe about, and run about haphazardly swinging at the machines? And I'm not even going to go into Walt hanging off the upper level to retrieve his shoe. Absolutely ridiculous, and predictable (who'd have thought the hanging scene would lead to a fall, or hurling the shoe would smash the glass?).

But that's not all, Walt actually steals Jesses keys and locks him out at one point. What was all that about? Bit of an extreme reaction considering all Jesse said was 'let's get some air'. Jesses reaction is even more idiotic, as he decides to start fiddling about with the electrics of the plant, not only is he highly unqualified for this, he doesn't know if he's going to damage anything or ruin the laundry business upstairs. This whole episode is just full of stupid decisions.

It got slightly interesting towards the end, and I thought it was leading up to Walt admitting to killing Jane. But no, the compulsive liar/murderer hasn't changed and nothing satisfying came from the episode.

The meaning of the last scene is lost on me, Walt is continued to be harrassed by another fly when he gets home and goes to bed. What is this supposed to mean?? Is it a warning, is the species of fly surveying walt or something? and why did the fly in the first scene show such remarkable evasion and taunting techniques? Absolutely unnessecary, unfunny, unintelligent and boring subject to base an entire episode on.

Frankly I'm shocked by the high ratings for this episode, and some people even find it to be the best in the series! What drivel, I can't imagine how dissapointing it must have been to watch this show live after you waited a week or whatever. I'm hoping the last episodes of this season get right back on track...
  • Full Review of "Fly"

"Fly" is the most distinct Breaking Bad episode so far in the series' run. It's bold and strives to be different. Only Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul feature, and the vast majority of the hour takes place inside the meth lab. Putting it bluntly, virtually nothing happens in the episode. It's also a self-contained episode, if you ignore one spoken exchange at the end. Instead, "Fly" is a character study, giving insights into the mind of Walt and the current relationship between him and Jesse. You could skip it without much consequence, but you'll be missing out on learning more about these layered characters and some terrific acting from Cranston.

Yes, the pace of the episode is rather slow. Walt is obsessed with catching a mere roaming housefly that he claims is contaminating his lab, and pretty much the entire hour--at its simplest--documents his and Jesse's attempts at killing it. This distraction might not seem particularly exciting, but it becomes more interesting when you consider how this scenario reflects Walt's life at the moment.

Try as he may, Walt can't catch one single pest. He's not in control. Now think back to when he first got into drug manufacturing in the first season. All he wanted to do was earn an abundance of cash to support his family before succumbing to his cancer. There wasn't supposed to be any consequences, yet this season especially has seen his actions severely affect the people that he knows. Hank was on the verge of being killed, having taken four bullets. He's now preparing for physiotherapy to regain use of his legs. Marie, his wife, is visibly distraught, while also having to deal with financial worries as a result of the shootout, which Skyler offers to solve. A depressed Donald Margolis was responsible for the collision of two planes in the sky, killing close to 200 passengers, after the preventable death of his daughter, Jane. And Skyler, having found out about Walt's double life, can't stand to live under the same roof as him, filing for a divorce. Walt believes he's responsible for all of these things to some extent, but he's frustrated that he's unable to fix anything, despite having more money than he knows how to spend. The fly could be interpreted as the consequences--or maybe even his guilt--that Walt can't swat away.

The other fairly obvious symbolic moment comes when Jesse puts a gas mask on top of his head, as he prepares to sneakily start cooking without Walt's knowledge or consent. The pink respirators as well as Jesse's dark clothes make him somewhat resemble a fly. In fact, Walt even swats him when he spots what Jesse is trying to do. This perhaps hints that the one aspect Walt does have a measure of control over is his cooking partner. A few episodes back, Jesse was intending to cook and sell his own blue meth against Walt's wishes, and later on, he was pressing charges against Hank. Now, Walt is able to keep an eye on Jesse; he reined him in by convincing him to be part of this large meth operation. Of course, Jesse is not completely under Walt's control. He's been skimming the batches of meth to sell himself, annoyed at the low cut their boss Gus is giving the pair. Despite Walt warning that he won't be able to protect him if Gus finds out, Jesse appears to ignore him.

It seems that Walt fears Gus to some extent. In the conversations we've seen between the pair throughout the season, Walt often gives off a confident aura, yet speaking candidly to Jesse in his determination to get rid of the fly, he comments: "We need to destroy it and every trace of it so we can cook. Failing that, we're dead. There is no more room for error, not with these people." It's easier to understand Jesse's perspective that the fly shouldn't matter--the consumers aren't going to be that picky about the meth, so why care so much?--but Walt is meticulous and is at a part of his life where he wants things to go smoothly and right. He won't stop until he emerges victorious. Jesse, realising that the agitated Walt has had very little sleep, attempts to calm him down by slipping a few sleeping pills into his coffee. It is at this point where Walt--in a drug-induced state--starts to freely speak his mind as he slowly drifts into unconsciousness.

Walt talks about how he expected to be dead by now. If everything had gone according to plan, he would have left Skyler, Walter Jr., and Holly with enough money for them to live comfortably for the foreseeable future. On top of that, he would have been missed; Skyler wouldn't have discovered his illegal activities. If he had departed the world before he left his home on the night when he met Donald at the pub--after the $1.2 million deal with Gus, but before he went to Jesse's place--he would have considered that perfect timing. Not only was he responsible for Jane's death that night, which in turn contributed to the heavy disaster weeks later in the sky, but he also wouldn't have inadvertently slipped about the second cell phone to his wife and kick-started her investigation. Walt looks back with regret. For starters, he struggles to grasp how his marriage fell apart. No matter what he told Skyler, she remained adamant that what he did was completely and morally wrong. Always believing that there is a solution, he says: "There must exist certain words in a specific order that would explain all of this."

Then, Walt moves onto his next regret: what happened with Jane. He comes perilously close to revealing his involvement in her death to Jesse. In fact, with the way the scene is set up--Jesse is standing on top of an unstable and rocking stepladder trying to swat the fly up high, as Walt tries to hold it steady--I was expecting him to tell the truth. The stepladder could be seen as representing their relationship. Walt telling Jesse what happened with Jane would be the equivalent of him failing to keep the stepladder still. If that were to happen, Jesse would fall off, and their relationship would be no more. Instead of that happening, though, Walt keeps the swatting Jesse safe and only goes as far as apologising profusely, with Jesse responding sincerely: "It's not your fault." Walt follows this up by trying to convince Jesse to "let [the fly] go". He's accepted that he can't control everything, and that he's got to live with the consequences. But just moments later, Jesse finally kills the fly. He's there for Walt, willing to help with his problems. No matter what differences they've had in the past, no matter how different they are as people, to me it symbolises that Walt and Jesse are true partners. They care for each other's wellbeing, and this could be a significant factor as we head towards the third season's finale.

A lot of people probably won't have the patience for this episode, and it's understandable why. After all, it does take a long time for the real meat to get going. Before Walt's monologues, though, "Fly" relies on humour to remain engaging. From Jesse mistaking a dead fly for a raisin to him shouting "el axe-o!", there are a few laughs to be had before the serious tone really kicks in. In addition, Cranston and Paul are excellent, successfully carrying a whole episode about one fly. Cranston deserves more of the plaudits; his meandering confessions while drugged up were both touching and attention-grabbing. Rian Johnson, who was responsible for Brick (a low-budget film that I'm rather partial to), directed the episode and similarly does a great job; in particular, he conveys Walt's dour mood extremely well. "Fly" may not have much consequential value in terms of the entire season, and it could be perceived as filler, but the added layers that it gives to the characters, particularly Walt, are extremely worthwhile and fascinating. I don't consider it to be a throwaway episode at all.
  • Walt tries to catch a fly. Yep, that's it.

I can see this episode falling into two different catagories: amazing television and an example of how incredible Vince Gilligan and co. can be or a self-indulgent piece of crap. I can see the merits in both and I happen to fall somewhere near the former, although not completely. It was problematic in some areas, but for the most part, when you cut down the episode to its essentials: acting and writing, you get some great television.

For the most part, the episode is Walt chasing after a fly and Jesse trying to stop him. Walt refuses to cook meth until the fly is dead and Jesse sees him as insane. From here, we get some philosophical discussions and some character development and a great direction by Liam Johnson, who made the great movie "Brick."

There were a few moments where I fully expected Walt to admit to Jesse what he did, the fact he watched Jane die and did nothing to save her, and I feel like that's the only missed opportunity of the episode. The show could've gone so many ways from here and I'm disappointed they're holding it off. But that doesn't mean the acting wasn't great. Everyone did a good job here and the show should be great once we get back to normal.
  • perfect

This episode is simply one of the best episodes of the show I have seen, and a fine 47 minutes of television. From the opening scene, where you see a fly, and Skyler singing to Holly, this episode is pure perfection. It's a really brave episode- it's one where the only characters are Walt and Jesse, and the plot is something that is small- them trying to catch a fly. But it works so well. One of the things I liked about this episode was the humor. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be funny, but when Walt falls and hits himself, and when Jesse hits him because the fly was on him, I laughed pretty hard. I don't know if that was supposed to be funny, but it got me.

Then the episode got pretty serious, with Walt talking about the 'perfect' time to die, when he was watching TV and Skyler was with Holly. It got pretty grim in this area of the episode, but it was handled well because, well, this show IS a drama. It might have some comedic moments scattered around but it is first and foremost a drama, so the sad scenes in the show, and more importantly, this episode, do not bother me at all. This episode is pretty much a time-filler, of Walt and Jesse trying to get a fly, but it works well. I was on the edge of my seat for a lot of the episode. The plot is pretty simplistic but the execution of it is really good. A+ episode, no doubt in my mind.

One of the best episodes of Breaking Bad, and some of the best acting I've seen all season. I wanted to rate this episode a 10 so bad, but when I came to thinking, there were better episodes out there. This was almost as good as "4 Days Out" from last season.

The interactions between Walt & Jesse are absolutely flawless and we saw the same kind of interactions between them like we did last season with the other Walt & Jesse-centric episode, "4 Days Out." Sure this plot wasn't the most intelligent. Walt & Jesse running around trying to kill a fly, but it really wasn't about that.

It was about rehashing what happened that night with Jane, and we see that Walt actually does feel guilt for what he did. I was on the edge of my seat almost the whole time to see if Walt would tell him, and I actually got intrigued with the story line, and cared if they killed the fly or not.

Just the best thing about this episode was the acting and the Walt & Jesse interactions that really steal the show, definitely made up for the first couple episodes of the season. Good ending leaving things up in the air and what looks like is setting us up for the season finale.

Amazing episode, no doubt about it, underrated is an understatement.
  • Fly

Well, let's try to look at the positives here: No Hank, no Marie, no Skylar, no Walter Jr. There was strong acting by Emmy nominees Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, one of the few consistencies this season. Now to the negatives. They devoted an entire episode to catching a fly. While some will try to pawn this off as art, and perfect writing, it was a cop out, and an excuse not to have any real drama in the episode. Randomly bringing up Jane? Where did that come from?

Breaking Bad has been one of the best shows on television at times, but the past few weeks have been a massive disappointment.
  • Awful, what a waste of a star cast...

Having only just become aware of Breaking Bad, I've just spent the last few weeks watching all of the episodes. I've just managed to catch up to the current episode only to get this!! Very disappointed, not really comedic, really rather sad. The only thing that comes out this episode is that Walt suspects Jesse of skimming Meth off the top. Walt warns Jesse that he won't be able to protect him if he is caught. An unlikely situation too with Walt falling from the upper steps and bouncing off a cook tank; he lands on his back in amongst the broken light glass spread over the floor but is miraculously uninjured apart from a bruise on his head where he hit it against the tank.
  • Breaking Good: Living with the Consequences

Ok, all fans who felt like this episode was filler, I totally understand where you are coming from. I mean, these writers have some nerve don't they? To just stop the action and main plot for a complete 46 minutes is ridiculously rude and it may show that they didn't know what to do with the full 13 hours they promised TV viewers for this season.

If you have taken this view I strongly encourage you to look again and at least consider viewing this episode from a different perspective. I mean, these writers have some nerve don't they? To put this character study and analysis in the perfect spot during the season, right in the middle of the climax of the season so that the viewers would get to see the psychological progress or regress of its main character before the landscape of this show changes forever. This episode was so needed for both of these characters especially Walt as he finally lets us into the vault of his mind again after a long time. Jesse got his chance in the episode "One Minute" as he finally spilled how tormented his life has been since Mr. White reentered it. Now in this episode we get to see the deep inner thoughts of Walter and they are very important to his character.
    Two things jump out at me in what Walt says in this episode: One is the failure of the goal he laid out at the beginning of the series: To provide stability for his family by cooking meth, to not get caught in the process so that he could be seen as a hero before he gave them his earnings, and to die right afterward so that he would not have to deal with the consequences of what he had done. Even if his family did not understand his actions ever since he got sick, he still would have been dead and would not have had to deal with any of it. Through all of this, Walt figured he would be breaking all the bad and uncontrollable situations in his life and finally bringing about good for his family and checking out doing things his way. Then something seemingly amazing happens: Walt's cancer goes into remission and there is no end in sight to his life. To top things off, Skyler eventually finds out about his horrible deeds, and wants to have nothing to do with him. This is the point where all the good was broken. Walt realized that there would be consequences to his actions but what he didn't realize is the possibility that he would actually have to live with them. A long time ago when Walt hatched his brilliant plan, he thought that by this time he would have made enough money for his family and he would be dead. What we saw in this episode was what Walt has been dealing with this entire season: guilt. The guilt he figured he wouldn't have to deal with for this long has has taken the place of the cancer and it is eating him up inside.

Secondly, looking at this evidence, it finally makes perfect sense why Walt has been in a weird, subdued stupor lately and why it seemed he attempted to kill himself on the road in his car. Maybe in that moment on the road he realized that he had grown tired of dealing with the guilt that continued to build up inside him and the consequences of all his actions. Whatever the case may be, as the end of the episode perfectly shows by Walt hearing the noises of a fly while in bed even after he knows Jesse killed the one in the lab, until Walt dies the guilt he is feeling may eat him alive. Even though it deviated from the main plot, this episode was superb for its great acting and subtle symbolism in its writing.
  • A theatrical episode!

Breaking Bad is breaking barriers. Fly was a very special episode, almost theatrical, where we could see how great actors Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are. The script was awesome and, as always, the cinematography and editing brought us cinema on TV.
    The fly that was bugging Walt to the point he decided it would contaminate their entire lab was the trigger to show us that he's,in fact, going towards a nervous breakdown and, under the influence of the sleeping pills Jesse put in his coffee, the big tension was 'what's gonna happen when Jesse will come to know that Walt let Jane die?' This show must win the Emmy this year. If t doesn't happen it's because somebody is bribing the voters!
  • Walt and Jessie chase a fly and wax philosophical.

I may try and watch this rather slow episode of "Breaking Bad" in a couple of months and review whether I missed something, but it seemed that the writers had run out new stories or script ideas since they killed off the cousins. Having Jessie try to get profound is equivalent to a block of ice become intelligent. I loved the joke about the "possum". This season has really been very good with the characters coming to realizations that we have been waiting for. Still, three more eps to go. I hope they introduce some new characters to help spin the story into different directions.
  • The many level of contamination in Walter's life!

Slow start but some great writing in this episode. Walter is admitting to some kind of contamination in his life, he is starting to have problems dealing with his part in Jane's death, his mind is contaminated with the memory of his part in it, his life is contaminated by a druglord who has bought him for 3 months, he is starting to contaminate his family with Skyler's involvement and Hank's shooting and his production of 400lbs is contaminating the world around him. Jesse at the top of a ladder has no idea how much control Walter has over him at that moment, holding the ladder through drugged eyes and holding his future through drugged hands. Meanwhile Jesse tries to remove the source of contamination and succeeds superficially.
    Great acting!
  • I will admit, within the first half hour of this episode, I was a tad confused as to where exactly the plot was going in this episode. However, I started to understand more as this newest chapter unfolded. Warning: Minor spoilers included in this review.

To put it simply, for fans who did not watch the entire episode, this was...one of the more obscure episodes. I am a die-hard fan of Breaking Bad, but this whole plot with the fly seemed a little out of place, in my opinion. Yes, I do realize that Walt is pretty much losing all sanity after what he has gone through, but never have I actually seen him pay close attention to such little things and details such as...a fly.

I'm going to go ahead and say that this episode somewhat jumped the shark, particularly because Walt is losing his mind, but with a fly? Hmm...I feel that the creators could have done a little more with character development in terms of 'sanity loss' on Walt's part, but this episode is nowhere near abysmal.

In a way, Walt explains to Jesse that there is 'no more room for mistake' when cooking meth for 'them' (in reference to Gus and his crew.) So after this explanation, I feel that I was beginning to understand why exactly Walt was going nuts over a minuscule creature. He fears failure from Gus, and he fears that one slip-up could mean something much worse for Jesse and him. The rest of the episode (in a way), is a lot like filler, but I feel the emotional strain between Walt wanting to tell Jesse that he saw Jane die right before his eyes and did nothing about it was spot-on. It made me on the edge of my seat; wondering if Walt would tell him and what his reaction would be. All in all: I'd advise this episode only for die-hard fans that enjoy a plot twist out of the norm and conversations between Jesse and Walt about the past as a means of character development. I still loved this episode, but for all the others who felt that the plot was lacking...well, make your call and watch it for yourself.
  • A Walt and Jesse episode that has them worried about a contamint

This episode was a wee bit filler but Breaking Bad has a history of filling their filler of midseason stuff with strong character moments to keep the episode rolling, this episode directed by movie director Rian Johnson (Brick, Brothers Bloom) focused on a fly that somehow got into the lab and Walt, fearing that it will contaminate the meth they have cooking half way through the batch to be put on hold until it is killed. Hilarity ensues as both he and Jesse try shamelessly to go the distance and beat the fly and many comedic moments come out of it particularly the fly landing on Walt's head and having just been hit by Walt Jesse smacks him upside the head with a fly saber. The standout moment however is when Jesse drugs Walt's coffee and Walt almost confesses to his witnessing of Jane's death and how much he misses his family. In the end Walt says he knows that Jesse might be skimming off the top of their product and he won't be able to protect him from Gus should he ever find out. Great episode all around, looking forward to next week.
  • Man vs fly

This is one of the funniest Breaking Bad episodes so far. Man battling a fly has always been funny to look at. In this episode Mr. White has an off-day. He hasn't been sleeping well and after work he finds out there's a fly in the lab. A contaminant! He tries everything, but can't kill 'the bastard'. Later Jessie helps him.

This leads to laugh-out-loud moments, such as Jessie's initial thoughts on the contamination, hitting each other with Walt's improvised fly swatter and the 'decoration' of the lab. But the episode also has great character moments. Serious moments, where we hear some new stories and angles on previous events. It's easy to call this episode 'filler', but it's much more than that. I think the writers wanted an episode to act as some sort of intermission. A calm before the storm. Expect a heavy, crazy, backwards rollercoaster hour next week. Could the last shot be a sign of this? No matter how Walt tries, he can't get rid of 'contaminants'? Something will always be coming for him.