Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Discussion Thread: 4x01 "Box Cutter"

aldaros23

[1]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 53

Discuss here.

Oh and there will probably be SPOILERS below.

Edited on 07/17/2011 8:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aldaros23

[2]Jul 17, 2011
    So I guess people are going to get killed by the certain weapons listed in the title... shotgun, 38 snub, box cutter... That's already a couple of bodies.

jrosace92

[3]Jul 17, 2011
    • level: 7

SPOILERS FOR BOX CUTTER**** Great start, glad they decided to have jesse kill gale. I would have been kinda upset if the episode opened up with a hole in the wall beside gale's head, but even if it had started that way, I'm sure Vince Gilligan and his brilliant self would have found a way to satisfy me. But this way, there is a great character arc for Jesse, who finally "broke bad" (I actually thought for a while that he wasn't going to say one word the whole episode, but his little monologue was pretty awesome). Even Hank's scene was great. I have been on withdrawal for 13 months and am so happy its finally back!!!

Edited on 07/17/2011 8:39pm

tuckgraph

[4]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 19

A very good season opener, set the table for things to come. The "box cutter" scene came as no surprise to me, but it was executed well. That's one of the hallmarks for the show. They take their time for full effect. Gus is everything I expected.

I have a question. I have bad eyesight at times, and sometimes wonder if I saw things that weren't there. Jesse at the diner. When he was talking to Walt, giving his take on their relationship with Gus, there looked like a big hoagie, poboy like sandwich in the foreground. Then in the overhead shots, he was just cleaning his plate. Did anyone else notice that?

Anyhow, it's great having everybody back. Even Saul.

RobinDanil

[5]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 6

I wonder what was in that lab notebook at the end in Gale's apartment? Maybe the names of Walter and Jesse??

Jemadari

[6]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 12
    Gus is an absolute boss,they could not have written that box cutter scene better.

@tuckgraph wasn't Jesse eating Denny's grand slam pancakes and sausages,I don't recall seeing a sandwich.

aldaros23

[7]Jul 18, 2011
    RobinDanil wrote:

I wonder what was in that lab notebook at the end in Gale's apartment? Maybe the names of Walter and Jesse??

based on someone's review... i am starting to think that Gale was an informant from the DEA.

Tom-tom-tom

[8]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 1
    First of all, my apologies for the English, it's not my native language but i'm doing my best. So don't mind the grammar mistakes and things like that.

RobinDanil wrote:

Usually chemists hold lab notes to describe the production process and things they observe when conducting an experiment. I think it'll just prove Dale was involved in cooking meth. Funny thing is it will probably be Walt's recipe of the pure, blue stuff so they'll also know Heisenberg is involved in the murder.

aldaros23 wrote:

based on someone's review... i am starting to think that Gale was an informant from the DEA.

Don't think so... if he was, wouldn't the whole operation of Gus be already shut down by the DEA? Gale had all the evidence, he was cooking meth by order of Gus (= the boss). Gale could testify against all heavyweights of the whole operation and shut it down. I mean, why keep him undercover so long?

Tom-tom-tom

[9]Jul 18, 2011
    !!!!! SPOILER !!!!!
    !!!!! SPOILER !!!!! Thing I'm most interested in is the reason why Gus slit Vincent's throat. It's already a bit discussed on Tim Surette's review of the episode. Things like that Vincent is seen on the crime scene of Gale's murder, that Gus wants to prove Jesse and Walter he's still in charge, that Vincent failed to protect Gale and therefore needs to die himself and that Vincent was pretty arrogant to begin cooking meth on his own have all come up in that discussion. They are all very valuable arguments but I have my own theory. (Maybe it's a bit farfetched, I don't know, but here it goes

So it's a bit of an elaboration to the theory of the arrogance of Vincent to cook meth on his own, not exactly knowing what he's doing. We see in the beginning of the episode that Dale is very keen on the purity of the meth. Dale's pursuit of improvement of quality probably led to the introduction of Walt in the operation of Gus. Meaning that he got, indirectly of course, himself killed by wanting to improve the purity. So then Vincent starts cooking a batch, probably f*cking it up by just pouring everything together and thereby diminishing the purity of the meth. Gus sees this and (in honour of Gale) kills Vincent. Mmm... ok, now that I reread this, I thinking myself it's pretty damn farfetched.

patsully

[10]Jul 18, 2011
    • level: 16

RobinDanil wrote:

I bet when the DEA goes through the notebook they will see references to the well known blue coloring of Walt's meth. They may then conclude that "Heisenberg" has been killed...

But I'm willing to bet that the one DEA agent who doesn't believe it is Hank Schrader...

aldaros23

[11]Jul 18, 2011
    patsully wrote:

RobinDanil wrote:

I bet when the DEA goes through the notebook they will see references to the well known blue coloring of Walt's meth. They may then conclude that "Heisenberg" has been killed...

But I'm willing to bet that the one DEA agent who doesn't believe it is Hank Schrader...

ooooh that's good!!! that might actually happen.

IdiotBoxx

[12]Jul 19, 2011
    • level: 10

Tom-tom-tom wrote:
    !!!!! SPOILER !!!!! !!!!! SPOILER !!!!! Thing I'm most interested in is the reason why Gus slit Vincent's throat. It's already a bit discussed on Tim Surette's review of the episode. Things like that Vincent is seen on the crime scene of Gale's murder, that Gus wants to prove Jesse and Walter he's still in charge, that Vincent failed to protect Gale and therefore needs to die himself and that Vincent was pretty arrogant to begin cooking meth on his own have all come up in that discussion. They are all very valuable arguments but I have my own theory. (Maybe it's a bit farfetched, I don't know, but here it goes So it's a bit of an elaboration to the theory of the arrogance of Vincent to cook meth on his own, not exactly knowing what he's doing. We see in the beginning of the episode that Dale is very keen on the purity of the meth. Dale's pursuit of improvement of quality probably led to the introduction of Walt in the operation of Gus. Meaning that he got, indirectly of course, himself killed by wanting to improve the purity. So then Vincent starts cooking a batch, probably f*cking it up by just pouring everything together and thereby diminishing the purity of the meth. Gus sees this and (in honour of Gale) kills Vincent. Mmm... ok, now that I reread this, I thinking myself it's pretty damn farfetched.

I had the same theory as you, well except for the killing Victor in honor of Gale thing. I just remember him making such a big deal about how pure it was and how he wanted it to the best. They had the best equipment and all and he knew that Gus wanted the product to be the best.

"Short order cook" Victor might have been able to get the job done, but it might have been subpar. Still I don't know if that was reason enough to kill him. I just don't know how Gus thinks. It could be a little of everything. He screwed up by making himself seen at the murder of Gale, made the batch on his own without discussing it with Gus, and the killing could have also been for shock value to show Walt and Jesse what he is capable of. Still Jesse would have seemed like a liability too. He was the actual person that killed Gale. But I guess he wasn't seen though.

It was a great episode. That box cutter seen was very dramatic. I was kind of hoping Gale wasn't going to be killed, but I guess he had to be. Kind of feel sorry for the guy.

On a lighter side I loved that scene where they are eating at Denny's. Who would have thought Denny's would be the sponsor for this show. Smile

Denny's...the perfect meal after dissolving a guy in acid.

I liked their matching clothes. Walt's Kenny Rogers shirt with the size tag on it still was pretty funny. Tongue out

Edited on 07/19/2011 9:31am

Nasta123

[13]Jul 23, 2011
    • level: 6
    Tom-tom-tom wrote:
    !!!!! SPOILER !!!!!
    !!!!! SPOILER !!!!! Thing I'm most interested in is the reason why Gus slit Vincent's throat. It's already a bit discussed on Tim Surette's review of the episode. Things like that Vincent is seen on the crime scene of Gale's murder, that Gus wants to prove Jesse and Walter he's still in charge, that Vincent failed to protect Gale and therefore needs to die himself and that Vincent was pretty arrogant to begin cooking meth on his own have all come up in that discussion. They are all very valuable arguments but I have my own theory. (Maybe it's a bit farfetched, I don't know, but here it goes

So it's a bit of an elaboration to the theory of the arrogance of Vincent to cook meth on his own, not exactly knowing what he's doing. We see in the beginning of the episode that Dale is very keen on the purity of the meth. Dale's pursuit of improvement of quality probably led to the introduction of Walt in the operation of Gus. Meaning that he got, indirectly of course, himself killed by wanting to improve the purity. So then Vincent starts cooking a batch, probably f*cking it up by just pouring everything together and thereby diminishing the purity of the meth. Gus sees this and (in honour of Gale) kills Vincent. Mmm... ok, now that I reread this, I thinking myself it's pretty damn farfetched.

Hmm, I'm not sure Gus would kill one of his main guys for these reasons. I'm more inclined to think that he found out some relation of Vincent to the cartel.

ukrg

[14]Jul 23, 2011
    OR maybe coz the lad was saying i know everything about the cook been watching for weeks gus didnt want ANYONE knowing about the technique

other than gale and the walt.

i just watched season 3 bak to bak then on to season 4 and i agree with one of the comments i would have been sooo upset if gale hadent been shot! would have ruined it all i think. BUT unlike you who waited i waited for season 3 to finish before i watched it then noticed sn 4 had started most upset to see only one episode aired so far but looks like a good one hopefully they will drag this one out to a full 20-24 eps maybe???

piranhapete

[15]Jul 24, 2011
    • level: 11
    I don't think Gus killing Victor was particularly a statement of "Hey, look, I'm in control." He wants the very best. That's Walt. He was going to settle for Gale because Walt proved to be too rebellious, but now it's Walt. Victor using *his* equipment to make meth when he doesn't even know the names of all the chemicals is completely intolerable. I saw it more as a completely deadpan reaction. "Oh, you killed Gale. Fine. Cook. However, I now must first take care of my associate who seems to be under the impression he's a viable for the job."

Jemadari

[16]Jul 25, 2011
    • level: 12

I saw the box cutter scene as 'I'm in a killing mood but I can't kill you so instead i'll show you who you're dealing with and how a real man puts in work because anyone can have their drug addict flunkie pull a trigger but it takes a special kind of psycho to go literally get their hands dirty' at least that was my interpretation

BreakingBad23

[17]Dec 26, 2011
    • level: 4

Is it me, or has this episode dissapeared from the episode guide? If so, why? Great episode btw.

aldaros23

[18]Dec 26, 2011
    yes, i reported the problem. there was an issue with the re-design and it made the episode disappear for some reason. i don't want to readd it because the old one has a recap, cast, and trivia attached to it.