Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion - "Pilot" (Spoilers)

Mafeu

[1]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 69
    I'm interested to see how the show pans out. Discuss the first episode here anyway!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 32
    I'm intrigued by the concept behind this show. A straight-edge high school chem teacher in the '80s is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer and so, in order to make money quickly, makes the best meth anyone's ever seen. He quickly finds himself surrounded by the dregs of society and let's not forget for a moment how discovery is one last-minute dinner invite with his brother-in-law away.

Options for introducing this story might have included a few more shots of how dangerous the actual purchase and use of meth is. As it was, it seems like a lot of procedurals have already demonstrated to me how dangerous it is to cook the stuff. What about the use and distribution?

And, um, isn't the vanity license plate "Cap'n Cook" just a little bit too ... front and center?

I do think Mr. White is a sufficiently intriguing character to anchor a series. I liked how he stood up for his son and I like how he's trying to create the best possible situation for his wife and family, given the terrible news he just got concerning his health.

I like how he's pretending to still be holding stuff together even tho it's all unraveling in every direction. I loved him telling his ridiculous boss where to stick his ridiculous and demeaning carwash.

What I didn't like is that everything seemed to be happening at once. And how flaky the kid was. You just don't dodge the bullets he's dodged and stay a flake. The dealer was a little too cliche, I didn't like her sister or the brother-in-law and it doesn't feel like a man with an RV and a desert should have too much trouble disposing of bodies.

All that said, however, I enjoyed it. The dialogue could be a little clearer but I think they set up a good situation and I'll be interested to see where they go with it.

wickett3703

[3]Jan 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Interesting concept. I liked it and can't wait to see more. I agree that something was missing, but it is a pilot episode. Oh man, the guy just lost his pants I think!

Kyara1980

[4]Jan 28, 2008
    • level: 12
    Moral of the story is: "Hey! Kids! If you deal meth, you'll have a better hard-on and make the girls really happy!"
    Edited on 01/28/2008 9:00pm

tjaman

[5]Jan 28, 2008
    Interesting.

I'm getting a ... different message.

tjaman

[7]Feb 1, 2008
    Final scene of the pilot eppy.

sheik3008

[8]Feb 12, 2008
    • level: 5
    Kyara1980 wrote:
    Moral of the story is: "Hey! Kids! If you deal meth, you'll have a better hard-on and make the girls really happy!"

i just hope you don't think that people watching the show will begin to deal meth....