Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - ABQ (possible spoilers)

Stitllams

[1]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 6

We may not know who is in the body bags but we sure know where the pink bear came from.

Dam, Skyler now knows for sure he has been hiding something, but I didn't think she would go that far, season 3 is going to be huge.

Never even suspected Jane's dad would've played such a big part in the finale.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Exophagy

[2]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    So, "Seven Thirty-Seven" "Down" "Over" "ABQ", clever.

But I don't know how I feel about that ending, after the season long build up of who are in the body bags and it turns out to be some random people who were on the plane that I don't care about.

Herald_Galactus

[3]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 4
    It depends if they the people who happen to land at the home aren't people Walt knows.

I know, I know, but stranger coincidences have happened.

Wow, that freefall scene from the air though. I've been hang gliding before and they captures my worst fear very well.

scarabaeus

[4]Jun 1, 2009
    I see some resemblance to a real incident. There was a mid-air collision of a DHL plane and a russian plane, carrying mostly school children, in 2002. The air traffic controler in switzerland was at fault, and he was later murdered by the father of one of the children on board the plane. Maybe someone will attempt to take out Don next season?

Herald_Galactus

[7]Jun 1, 2009

I think Don and Walt will bond as they reflect on the loss of their families, and each will run into investigations trying to figure out what happened (Don will figure out how and why Jane died during her time with Jessie, Walt will attempt to look in as see how a plane exploded over his house and all the exposure he has received recently.) The two will bond, and then be at each other's throats.

How things play out with Skyler I have no clue, but the writers have an ability to keep me on my toes. I can't wait.

RAYcluse

[8]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 10

So...nothing on this show connects except on some subtle artistic/emotional level?

I guess I wouldn't be so mad if the writers tried to create a story that just wasn't a random jumble of meaningless plots. But they did. And all while avoiding answering any questions. I have to give them some props though, because all the characters are left up in the air and everyone is at a crossroads. I just wish they didn't do it in such an obvious way.

I'm sorry, but just because some planes collide because Jesse's girlfriend (who I hated more than Skylar White if that's even possible) chokes on her own vomit, doesn't mean that adds anything to the story. It feels like a cop-out, and they weren't even trying to resolve anything.

It all felt really lazy and slow to me. I don't think I can keep watching this show if all they do is make up as they go along. We don't need another LOST on TV. One's enough.

Adeir

[9]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 12

See, if Vince Gilligan and the rest of the writers hadn't decided to end this season with a plane collision from the beginning, I too would consider this a cop-out and making it up as it goes along. Point is they didn't. Gilligan and Co knew very well what was going to happen before the season premiere hit the screens. And they decided to even play with their audience, using foreshadowing cold openers to deceive us. Remember Tuco's grill that Mexican refugee found at the river bank? The whole episode you could speculate something horrible happened to Hank, but the explanation was much more simple.

Anyway, it's been a long time any tv show managed to actually surprise everyone with a season finale. Sure some viewers are disappointed, but they're won't be anybody going around boasting they knew this would happen from last February and they can predict the writer's every move and feel all superior about it.

Which is fine by me. I'm glad it isn't over yet.

Excellent interview with Gilligan by Alan Sepinwall for anyone who wants some more background.

aldaros23

[10]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 53
    ^ True. I was actually quite surprised for several reasons: (1) Skyler (2) Gus (3) Jane's father being an air traffic controller. I thought he was having trouble getting work? The plane - I understood it right from the start of this episode. NTSB gave it away.
    Edited on 06/01/2009 3:20pm

aldaros23

[11]Jun 1, 2009
    • level: 53
    This episode was full of irony as well:

- Donald is driving that day to pick up Jane to go to rehab. - Walt Jr. describes his dad as a hero, good guy, etc.
    - Gus being on some kind of community project board.

RAYcluse

[12]Jun 2, 2009
    Adeir wrote:

See, if Vince Gilligan and the rest of the writers hadn't decided to end this season with a plane collision from the beginning, I too would consider this a cop-out and making it up as it goes along. Point is they didn't. Gilligan and Co knew very well what was going to happen before the season premiere hit the screens. And they decided to even play with their audience, using foreshadowing cold openers to deceive us. Remember Tuco's grill that Mexican refugee found at the river bank? The whole episode you could speculate something horrible happened to Hank, but the explanation was much more simple.

Anyway, it's been a long time any tv show managed to actually surprise everyone with a season finale. Sure some viewers are disappointed, but they're won't be anybody going around boasting they knew this would happen from last February and they can predict the writer's every move and feel all superior about it.

Which is fine by me. I'm glad it isn't over yet.

Excellent interview with Gilligan by Alan Sepinwall for anyone who wants some more background.

I actually liked that episode about Hank, and I can't help but wonder why they abandoned that story in the middle of the season. I don't think Hank just all of a sudden became better. I was genuinely surprised and enjoyed being caught off guard, but only because Hank is an important character. Why should I care about Jane's dad (who I can't even bother to find the name of)? He's been in what, four episodes and all of a sudden he's supposed to be important? If it had been about Saul or any number of Walt's drug connections I would have been interested, but this guy? If Vince wanted us to care about Jane's family maybe her family should have been in the show more than half the season so I would actually feel bad for the guy. All I could see was his daughter had him whipped, and he had no spine. Oh yes, that makes a likeable character (sarcasm).

Adeir

[13]Jun 2, 2009

RAYcluse wrote:
    I actually liked that episode about Hank, and I can't help but wonder why they abandoned that story in the middle of the season. I don't think Hank just all of a sudden became better. I was genuinely surprised and enjoyed being caught off guard, but only because Hank is an important character. Why should I care about Jane's dad (who I can't even bother to find the name of)? He's been in what, four episodes and all of a sudden he's supposed to be important? If it had been about Saul or any number of Walt's drug connections I would have been interested, but this guy? If Vince wanted us to care about Jane's family maybe her family should have been in the show more than half the season so I would actually feel bad for the guy. All I could see was his daughter had him whipped, and he had no spine. Oh yes, that makes a likeable character (sarcasm).

Fair enough, more time spent with John DeLancie wouldn't be a waste. Now we just got the essential (long suffering dad of a off-and-on again junkie can't handle inevitable downfall of his daughter), but he really sold it to me. And compared to the other members of the (guest) cast, he turned out to be the most likable. I wouldn't call him spineless as well, these relationships between junkies and their parents are freakish and irrational to outsiders.

Who's to say he won't become an important character in the future?

I agree with you somewhat that they shouldn't have dropped fleshing out Hank's character all of a sudden, but the show still isn't called DEA, Albuquerque as of yet. It's about Walter, his choices, actions and their consequences.

Bisrossk

[14]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 9
    This episode just felt like filler to me. Skyler left, Jessie went into recovery, and Walt had his surgery. There's no surprises there, that's exactly what we expected to happen. All those teasers were hinting at some exciting climax, and all we got was a normal progression of the plot and a plane crash that's meant to symbolize something we already saw. I just think if this episode didn't exist, we could have came back next year and not missed a beat. It was just a real boring ending to a great season.

RAYcluse

[15]Jun 2, 2009
    Adeir wrote:

RAYcluse wrote:

Fair enough, more time spent with John DeLancie wouldn't be a waste. Now we just got the essential (long suffering dad of a off-and-on again junkie can't handle inevitable downfall of his daughter), but he really sold it to me. And compared to the other members of the (guest) cast, he turned out to be the most likable. I wouldn't call him spineless as well, these relationships between junkies and their parents are freakish and irrational to outsiders.

Who's to say he won't become an important character in the future?

I agree with you somewhat that they shouldn't have dropped fleshing out Hank's character all of a sudden, but the show still isn't called DEA, Albuquerque as of yet. It's about Walter, his choices, actions and their consequences.

I have to say I never really liked DeLancie until this season and he's really the only one (except for Cranston of course) that I like. But I don't want it to be all about him either. He was just an example of making a meaningful storyline with a surprise twist. And the show has many, but to care about Jane's father isn't going to cut it unless they fleshed him out a little bit. I'm more than positive he'll become an important character next season, but why couldn't they make him an important character now? Why couldn't they develop him so when he finally loses concentration I can say out loud "No! Not Him!" and wish he didn't kill all those people? And the show isn't just about Walt and his actions, but the other main characters and their actions. Which is why I don't get to make a boring undeveloped guest star be the major cause of teaser plot. I have to say you've done a greta job selling it to me though. I appreciate it, since I do actually like the show despite my annoying complaints. I just think it's starting to sacrifice plot for art when they should be balanced equally.

Adeir

[18]Jun 3, 2009

RAYcluse wrote:
    I have to say I never really liked DeLancie until this season and he's really the only one (except for Cranston of course) that I like. But I don't want it to be all about him either. He was just an example of making a meaningful storyline with a surprise twist. And the show has many, but to care about Jane's father isn't going to cut it unless they fleshed him out a little bit. I'm more than positive he'll become an important character next season, but why couldn't they make him an important character now? Why couldn't they develop him so when he finally loses concentration I can say out loud "No! Not Him!" and wish he didn't kill all those people? And the show isn't just about Walt and his actions, but the other main characters and their actions. Which is why I don't get to make a boring undeveloped guest star be the major cause of teaser plot. I have to say you've done a greta job selling it to me though. I appreciate it, since I do actually like the show despite my annoying complaints. I just think it's starting to sacrifice plot for art when they should be balanced equally.
    Like in chemistry, balancing out the measures of your reactants is of great importance. Excuse me if this was trying to be too clever.

Thanks for taking the time and patience to listen and respond. Enjoy summer and see you later maybe.

DuShager

[19]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 1
    The brutal fragment of this episode was when Walt's latest adquired associate found out he's Hank's brother-in-law. That guy will probably be one of the most interesting characters from now on. Because I don't think he'll give up on Walter, but get him right into the real world of being bad, to prove loyalty or whatever. The TV appearance made this situation even worse. Skylar's a **** she's got a thing with that guy at work (not to mention IRS would have her ass as well) and she still says she's too scared to know the truth about Walt. Third paragraph and the last, Jesse may become an absolute **** after the little ****'s death or become (and I hope so) **** up and a real bad boy.

Bisrossk

[20]Jun 3, 2009
    • level: 9
    I was really hoping that Walt would have told Skyler the truth. Even though I don't like her, it'd be nice to have SOMETHING happen in that episode. Ah, well. Maybe he'll have more time to spend on his drugs now.

I hope Jessie comes back clean and a little smarter next season. It'd be nice to see him step up and really help contribute, instead of just being a constant screw up.

It's interesting that Gus saw Walt's photo, though, and knows his real name and that his brother's a DEA agent. A cautious man like that, who was already hesitant to do business with them in the first place, might need to test their loyalties or cut them loose. I hope they're not done with Arizona, though. I mean, they're moving on to bigger things, but I liked seeing them at the head of a drug cartel, pushing into other people's territories. It was a shame they had to leave things like they did.