Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: "Cancer Man" (2-17-08)

tjaman

[1]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 32
    So ... y'wanna make some more?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

topoopon

[2]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 19

Something in Walt has snapped. It's not even that he doesn't care anymore... it's more like a death wish.

This show is great...

Loved the scene with a paranoid Pinkman going back home to his family after having a bad meth experience. When his parents found that joint I was wondering where it came from...

Jesse still seems redeemable, Walt is the one who murdered 2 people.

ImKagetsu

[3]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 12
    sittong through him going back to his 'rent's was painful to watch. But when it turned out that the Lil' prodogy was smoking ragweed grass, I about doubled over,,, also when the wad of cash went up the airconditioner intake. Now com'on, they gotta get cooking again. No way I'd thought he was going to quite after one batch.

tjaman

[4]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 32
    Honestly, this one felt a little low energy for too much of it. Skylar and those awful inlaws and then his son being such a bitca. Y'know kid? Whatever you're feeling, he's feeling, and on top of that he can barely breathe. He's trying to be realistic and you're acting like he's giving up. "Just die already."

OK, yeah, I get it, that's the grief talking, but part of why he's not looking to dive into a huge debt hole that might not actually help (his first diagnosis said "inoperable") is because you're sick and now there's an "oops" baby on the way and there's a zillion things that might be wrong with that child.

I also thought this was the best possible way to introduce us to Pink's folks. And also a moment of validation that you can be as involved in your kid's life as you want to be and they might still get mixed up in drugs. Hell, just the amount of pressure to be "perfect" all the time can do it. It was a nice little thumbnail -- especially the dynamic of "who's the favorite."

The purpose of this episode was to illustrate the effects of the drug (tweekin' out, hallucinations, paranoia, etc.) and to illustrate the pressures on Walt -- specifically, the money pressure. And we knew some of it already, but now that Skylar's insisting that he get second opinions and chemo regimens and all of that, um, yeah you should go back to work. I mean, it's not like junior needs 24/7 care, and "borrowing from the pension" is a crappy idea even if that was what he was actually doing.

"Ken Wins." Man, that was cool. That meaningless jerk of a side character who goes through life and takes whatever he wants and says whatever he wants and has no consideration for anyone else. I loved Walt's very simple, very low-key destruction of his pretty little public erection.

It was hard to completely ignore how close to the pumps that flaming car was, but with any luck at all, the "fire people" will be there momentarily.

It was cool that Pink gave him at least some of the money he owed him, and it'll be interesting to see what if any improved precautions they'll take next time.

Because oh yes. There must be a next time.

Jemadari

[5]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 12

tjaman wrote:
    Honestly, this one felt a little low energy for too much of it. Skylar and those awful inlaws and then his son being such a bitca. Y'know kid? Whatever you're feeling, he's feeling, and on top of that he can barely breathe. He's trying to be realistic and you're acting like he's giving up. "Just die already."

Could not have said it better myself and I just feel it has to be said you dont just promise to keep your mouth shut and then sit around and cry for no reason until people ask you what's wrong

domino87

[6]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 10

I think this was the weakest episode so far but it was still very good. Im thoroughly enjoying this series.

Gnidrolog

[7]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    tjaman wrote:

"Ken Wins." Man, that was cool. That meaningless jerk of a side character who goes through life and takes whatever he wants and says whatever he wants and has no consideration for anyone else. I loved Walt's very simple, very low-key destruction of his pretty little public erection.

It was hard to completely ignore how close to the pumps that flaming car was, but with any luck at all, the "fire people" will be there momentarily.

It would be great to see Walt get Ken out to the methlab on wheels and set him on fire out in the desert. Just for a coup-de-grace!