Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - "Fly" (possible spoilers)

aldaros23

[1]May 19, 2010
    • level: 53

Hey! Please direct all episode discussion for Season 3, Episode 10 here.

Edited on 05/19/2010 7:45am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Exophagy

[2]May 19, 2010
    • level: 6

Hey! Stop making episode threads so early, it makes me think its airing soon and then I realize it's still days away and sink into a suicidal depre...

Just kidding!

Edited on 05/19/2010 8:55am

guytwo

[3]May 23, 2010
    • level: 7

We are being so set-up for something big. This episode was the ride up the hill before the screaming fall down the other side. Oh yeah, is Walt losing it?

Edited on 05/23/2010 8:12pm

tuckgraph

[4]May 23, 2010
    • level: 19

What a great episode. The camera work, the symbolism, even the sound work at times. There was something about the opening scene, it looked to me like a fly being born, and presumably a parent looking on. Need to see it again. (and again!) Then Walt later talking about when he should have died, after hearing Skyler singing to her newborn. Was that the lullaby song at the beginning? Probably.

Also a great tribute episode to Walt and Jesse. No matter the drama, the relationship between Walt and Jesse brings humor, sometimes hilarity. I also liked how Walt reacted, when Jesse drugged him. What did he put in his coffee, anyway? I couldn't tell. But it took a while to take effect, almost in real time. And Walt almost spilled the beans about how he watched Jesse's girlfriend die! I'm glad he didn't. Maybe later. But I doubt it.

And Walt knows Jesse's skimming. Not that Walt's not nuts!

aldaros23

[5]May 23, 2010
    • level: 53
    I was glued to Lost tonight, I will be reviewing the ep on Tuesday! Can't wait though.

RatherBeGamblin

[6]May 24, 2010
    • level: 4

The bee represents that they're being bugged. Unless anyone can correct me.

So Gus will find out Jesse is dealing the missing slash which will lead into...

Edited on 05/23/2010 11:49pm
    Edited 2 total times.

wingsabre

[7]May 24, 2010
    • level: 13
    Exophagy wrote:

Hey! Stop making episode threads so early, it makes me think its airing soon and then I realize it's still days away and sink into a suicidal depre...

Just kidding!

I know your just kidding, but I disagree. There was a time where the threads were posted days after the episode airs. I applaud aldaros23 for keeping up with things.

wingsabre

[8]May 24, 2010
    I have the feeling that Jess may be killed off this season. The last episode referenced Kafka, and this episode was about a Fly. Kafka wrote a book called Metamorphosis which was about a man turning into a bug. I think it's foreshadowing the changes in the characters into something that's inhuman and contorted from reality.

Bamb0o-Stick

[9]May 24, 2010
    That's a good point you made there wingsabre. This episode seems chock full of symbolism, which I hope will be clarified more once we see what happens in the later episodes. The use of color is very strong in this one, even I noticed it right from the beginning. The blinking red light above Walt's room is what bothers me the most. There is a constant clashing of blue (Walt's color) and red (the laundromat and Jesse). The last scene with the fly silhouetted in the blinking red light drove me bonkers wondering what this could mean. I foresee something really dark and/or tragic to happen soon.

UKDoc

[10]May 24, 2010

Is anyone else thinking that apart from Walt's brother-in-law, the storyline seems to have spent ahugeamountof time locked in a basement. This for me is by far one of the best dramas/black comedies in years, but the episode Fly should have just been called Dry. It feels like the writers are running out of storyline in this episode, bitterlydisappointedthat this was not up to thephenomenalstandard asusualbut hey everyone has to have a dodgy episode some time.

JohnMcLernan

[11]May 24, 2010
    the fly represents God, have you forgotten the previous episode...KAFKAESQUE? the Lab is a living hell for Walter, the fly represents life and the natural order. God is reaching out to Walter , even in that hell of his own creation, and he is trying to compartmentalise it into an antiseptic doom. his psyche knows it is what he deserves,Jesse is as much walters stooge, as the idiots are jesses stooges. Why jesse is the one that kills The godliness in there is appropriate, and inapropriate at the same time, . Go watch the episode again!

JohnMcLernan

[12]May 24, 2010

the lab is red as hell, the fly eclipses the fire/smoke detector (how blatant do we have to get?) God eclipses hell!!!! watch out for the blue, that is walter and jesses escape, the ladder, while walter lapses into a sleeping pill coma is bathed in blue light! "god" is this hairy, uncomfortable contaminant to our antiseptic plans that prey like a remora om hmmmmm, flys on **** UKDOC go watch the whole series again, you are missing the point, and imo this episode was as pivotal as the end of ashes to ashes! bravo to Bamboo stick for catching the blue/red symbolism. I cant wait for next week!

RatherBeGamblin

[13]May 24, 2010
    JohnMcLernan, i don't know weather you're psycho or make a fair theory.

gabi771

[14]May 24, 2010
    what a waste of an episode ! 80% is about a stupid fly !
    I really hope there is point to this in the following episodes.

Bamb0o-Stick

[15]May 24, 2010
    RatherBeGamblin wrote:
    JohnMcLernan, i don't know weather you're psycho or make a fair theory.

Tell him to pass the pipe please?

MackTN

[16]May 24, 2010
    • level: 2

So far this has not been my favorite BB season. There are only 3 episodes left and I always feel like I'm in the set up. A lot of repetition, too much that is overly drawn out. It's like driving a car with your foot on the brake.

So far, I would not buy any of these episodes to rewatch like I did season 2.

I did not watch the repeat of Fly episode. The only good part was toward the end when Walt began talking about Jane. Jesse's no dope. He picks up on things fast (like when he realized that it was Walt who took the meth under the sink).

I preferred the pace of the earlier seasons and what made them most interesting was Walt's grounding in his everyday life, trying not to get caught. Now he's in bizarre-o world all the time. At least Jesse has returned to his former self for the most part; he's not as boring as he was initially.

Just my thoughts.

Bamb0o-Stick

[17]May 25, 2010

MackTN wrote:

So far this has not been my favorite BB season. There are only 3 episodes left and I always feel like I'm in the set up. A lot of repetition, too much that is overly drawn out. It's like driving a car with your foot on the brake.

So far, I would not buy any of these episodes to rewatch like I did season 2.

I did not watch the repeat of Fly episode. The only good part was toward the end when Walt began talking about Jane. Jesse's no dope. He picks up on things fast (like when he realized that it was Walt who took the meth under the sink).

I preferred the pace of the earlier seasons and what made them most interesting was Walt's grounding in his everyday life, trying not to get caught. Now he's in bizarre-o world all the time. At least Jesse has returned to his former self for the most part; he's not as boring as he was initially.

Just my thoughts.

Just to correct you on that episode of the meth under the sink, Walt was in a hurry to sell their stash so he barged into Jesse's home asking him where it was. Jesse was high out of his mind he could barely tell Walt where it was, let alone recognize him. It wasn't until after Walt sold their meth that he comes back to find Jesse freaking out. Jesse has no recollection of telling Walt at all and he was trying to figure out who could've known where the stash was. I don't see how that shows Jesse's intelligence whatsoever.

I was hoping that Jesse would change into a much more mature and better character in season 3. Before rehab he has always been the "screw-up" of the group, sometimes its not even his fault. He makes up for it with showing signs of having a good heart, which is why I like him. Unfortunately he seems to do a lot of stuff where he doesn't seem to think things through, like starting a drug ring without considering rival gangs interfering.

In season 3 I was hoping that since he's off drugs, and the stuff he went through he will be a much smarter, more mature and clear-minded person. When he bought his aunt's house back from his parents I had high hopes for him. However later in the season he still pulls bone-headed stunts, like rushing after Walt with Hank hot on his tail, luring them both into a bad corner. Now he's stealing his product and selling it on the side.

I still have high hopes that he actually has a brain behind that "tough guy" image, and that he'll pull off something that will surprise all of us. This "Fly" episode has shown how much Jesse and Walt have grown into a father and son relationship. That scene where Jesse puts Walt to sleep and then takes care of the work really touched me.

Edited on 05/25/2010 5:49am
    Edited 3 total times.

UKDoc

[18]May 25, 2010
    John the symbolism didn't pass me by, I was just bored with 40 mins of it, all the symbolism could have been delivered in 10 mins and spend the rest of the time expanding the storyline. My love for this tv show is the fast paced plot lines, disregard for hurting/maiming main characters, but for me everything is beginning to stall.

wingsabre

[19]May 26, 2010
    gabi771 wrote:
    what a waste of an episode ! 80% is about a stupid fly !
    I really hope there is point to this in the following episodes.

I thought it was a great episode. It's like the movie Sleuth, just two characters, but very well done interaction between them. This episode is rather significant because it's Walt diving deeper into his OCD, and in the process both Walt and Jesse are mending their relationship. It also shows that Walt is obsessed with maintaining quality control, since he learned of how Gus has been many steps ahead of him and how ruthless he is.

MackTN

[20]May 26, 2010
    • level: 2
    This is a tv show, entertainment, not celebrity rehab. Whatever they do with Jessie's character has to be the entertaining choice. Jessie clearly has smarts and insight that his attachment to drugs undermines. The story about his aunt was brilliant. Ummm, I thought Jessie put Walt out so he could cook the portion he skims for his side business.