Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: "Gray Matters" (2-24-08)

tjaman

[1]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 32
    Man, that's really too bad. I wonder whether Elliot knows about Walt and Gretchen. Nah, he probably wouldn't have offered him anything.

Tho I wonder if they'd even have gotten the invite if Skylar hadn't contacted the Schwartzes in the first place. It sounded like they'd drifted apart a lot over the years.

Maybe Walt let the friendship lapse because of his guilt over Gretchen ... ?

Hard to know. Interesting tho. Enjoyed this one.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Boratbizotch

[2]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 7
    Good episode, I loved the "Wanna cook?" line at the end. Knew they couldnt only have had the lab for one episode. A couple things I dont really get tho: Why exactly is Walt gonna cook again if his insurance is paying for the chemo and he knows he has a pretty good chance of living now? And what actually happened between him and Gretchen?

tjaman

[3]Feb 25, 2008
    Walt was lying, imo. I don't believe his insurance is covering skite. He's probably feeling too guilty to accept his friend's help because of what happened between him and his friend's wife (I think it was probably an affair).

Walt's cooking again because he needs cash, so he doesn't leave his family in debt. And he doesn't want the chemo.

All of this is just my take on the situation, but I think it holds together.

Edited on 02/25/2008 5:47pm

Boratbizotch

[4]Feb 25, 2008
    That makes sense.

Elizrael

[5]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    Does anybody know the name of the song that played in the background while the guys were cooking meth an goofing around?

Truman_Burbank

[6]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 12
    tjaman wrote:
    Walt was lying, imo. I don't believe his insurance is covering skite. He's probably feeling too guilty to accept his friend's help because of what happened between him and his friend's wife (I think it was probably an affair).

Walt's cooking again because he needs cash, so he doesn't leave his family in debt. And he doesn't want the chemo.

All of this is just my take on the situation, but I think it holds together.

Exactly. It was very clear the insurance wouldn't cover it and Walt will now have to cook again to pay for the treatment. The thing with Gretchen was probably an affair, but maybe they were together before she got married to the other guy.

Faultybander

[7]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 1
    Elizrael wrote:
    Does anybody know the name of the song that played in the background while the guys were cooking meth an goofing around?

Very fitting song for the situation. I'd also like to know.

kok_warlock

[8]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 11
    Walt was clearly lying to Gretchen when he said that his insurance would cover, no doubt about that, and it probally also became clear to Gretchen, after all, he has an HMO.

I don't think Walt had an affair with his friend's wife, but rather dated her back in college, then things happened and she end it up with his best friend, that was never explained so we don't know. He didn't take his friend's money, not because of guilty but because of pride, one thing is your family help you with money, another is to accept charity from friends you grow up and once considered you equal, it's very humiliating.

tjaman

[9]Feb 26, 2008
    I like that idea -- that it wasn't an affair, I mean. If they'd had a relationship a zillion things could've gone wrong where Walt wouldn't feel right accepting their help.

demaine03

[10]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 4

Brilliant episode.

Week in week out this has been the best one hour of television. The series has so many layers and so many questions to ask yourself. The family chat scene was the most powerfull piece of television I've seen in a long while.

I'm in the UK however and can't help but wonder how boring a story it could have been set in the UK, but not only that how lucky I am. You have cancer you go to hospital and don't need to worry about the financial burden or dealings with insurance companies.

theduk3

[11]Feb 27, 2008
    demaine03 wrote:
    You have cancer you go to hospital and don't need to worry about the financial burden or dealings with insurance companies.

Well, sadly it is not that easy. Even in the UK or other European countries with good health care systems. While most insurances will cover standard treatment, experimental or extraordinary treatment, especially life-prolonging treatment without the actual chance of cure like in the show, is often not covered by the lower level insurances.

Concerning the Gretchen story line: I am very certain it just started and we will learn much more about it in the episodes to come. We haven't heard yet what made Walt, a seemingly talented chemist, end up as a "low life high school teacher" (no disrespect ).

Maybe the two issues are related. I could imagine that Walt and Gretchen dated but somehow she ended up with Elliot. (as stated by others) Walt couldn't deal with that so he walked away from the company and went for teaching instead. Gretchen obviouslystill seems to care a big deal about Walt though.

Interesting. But again, we will hear more about it for sure.

Edited on 02/27/2008 3:29pm

dngrousLY

[12]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 4

Elizrael wrote:

The song is called 'Uh' by Fujiya & Miyagi. You can even download it for free -> http://bwank.blogspot.com/2007/06/fujiya-miyagis-new-single-uh.html

I absolutely loved the episode, thus far probably the best episode. The intervention scene has totally blown me away, fascinating acting all around. I am so looking forward to every new episode, my favorite show on the air.

Gnidrolog

[13]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 5
    Concerning the Gretchen story line: I am very certain it just started and we will learn much more about it in the episodes to come. We haven't heard yet what made Walt, a seemingly talented chemist, end up as a "low life high school teacher" (no disrespect ).

I have a theory that Gray Matter was probably about to go belly-up and Walt left for the security of teaching, then they had a breakthrough right after he left and all became zillionaires.

Maybe Walt and Gretchen were together before, and he doesn't want Elliott to know?

big_haircut82

[14]Mar 1, 2008
    • level: 22
    I know it was mentioned in one of the earlier episodes about a fairly big age difference between skyler and walt so I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that Gretchen and Walt were together for quite a while before "something" happened that led Gretchen to Elliot and Walt to later meet Skyler.

CuteJaime7727

[15]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 2

Boratbizotch wrote:
    Good episode, I loved the "Wanna cook?" line at the end. Knew they couldnt only have had the lab for one episode. A couple things I dont really get tho: Why exactly is Walt gonna cook again if his insurance is paying for the chemo and he knows he has a pretty good chance of living now? And what actually happened between him and Gretchen?

The "Wanna Cook" line is wondrous. And as far as Walt and Gretchen go, you aren't supposed to know anything by the end of the episode...that's what keeps you tuned in to watch the next.