Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - "Half Measures" (possible spoilers)

  • Avatar of aldaros23

    aldaros23

    [1]Jun 4, 2010
    • member since: 02/15/07
    • level: 53
    • rank: Commander in Chief
    • posts: 580

    Please direct all discussion for Season 3, Episode 12 here.


    This one is going to be good...

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of guytwo

    guytwo

    [2]Jun 6, 2010
    • member since: 10/03/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 1,857
    Walt to Jessie, "Murder isn't in your 12 step program." LOL LOL However....DAMN !! and I do mean DAMN !!! Did you see that coming ????
    Can I take breath now?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Watashii

    Watashii

    [3]Jun 6, 2010
    • member since: 08/26/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 49
    OMG.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of guytwo

    guytwo

    [4]Jun 6, 2010
    • member since: 10/03/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 1,857
    BTW: the opening song was 1967's "Windy" by The Associations.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MackTN

    MackTN

    [5]Jun 6, 2010
    • member since: 03/30/10
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 10


    I guess I'm the only one who is unhappy with the series this season. It seems like a big buildup to the final episode and everything has been dragged out needlessly. What happened to Skyler's boyfriend? For someone so opposed to bad behavior, Skyler has made a 360 degree turn. Gus was supposed to be the careful guy, but it appears he's surrounded by a lot of loose cannons. Even Saul is losing his charm. The writers have slowed this series to a crawl--the action could have taken place in a few episodes.


    I'm not sure if I believe Walt's latest behavior.


    I enjoyed season 2 and purchased most of the episodes to rewatch. But I wouldn't buy this season. Nothing happens.


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of charlie_s_1234

    charlie_s_1234

    [6]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 02/08/09
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3

    I was just discussing with a friend how we've enjoyed immensely the fact that they've taken the time to do some character driven episodes without forcing the story along. I think it's been a great season; episodes like "Fly" (s3x10) reminded me of the last half of The Sopranos' episode "Whoever Did This" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whoever_Did_This). Really presses pause on the bigger picture in order to give you more intimate glances into more dynamic characters -- e.g. not a cut and dry Walt who wouldn't run over the 2 drug dealers because he's a "nice guy" -- but a more dynamic person who doesn't see things in terms of good and evil but rather "what has to be done" (from his perspective).


    Anyways, to each his own, but I've really enjoyed this season. Walter's new business opportunity, theassassincousins from Mexico, and some really great acting by Aaron Paul (he seems to have grown throughout the series) are just a few of the elements that have made this special.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Shikady

    Shikady

    [7]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 07/10/08
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 507

    MackTN wrote:



    I guess I'm the only one who is unhappy with the series this season. It seems like a big buildup to the final episode and everything has been dragged out needlessly. What happened to Skyler's boyfriend? For someone so opposed to bad behavior, Skyler has made a 360 degree turn. Gus was supposed to be the careful guy, but it appears he's surrounded by a lot of loose cannons. Even Saul is losing his charm. The writers have slowed this series to a crawl--the action could have taken place in a few episodes.


    I'm not sure if I believe Walt's latest behavior.


    I enjoyed season 2 and purchased most of the episodes to rewatch. But I wouldn't buy this season. Nothing happens.




    I agree with Gus. They sold him to us as a careful guy. But now there's trouble with two drugdealers and he makes a meeting to try solve the problem...I didn't like that a bit.



    But I love this season. And this episode was great.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Jemadari

    Jemadari

    [8]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 07/10/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 2,513

    I,like everyone else was caught completely off guard by that ending but it was sort of bittersweet on the one hand it's highly unbelievable and on the other it lays the foundation for some real character development.But most of all I would just love to see him tell Skyler and have her not care one bit that he's added murder to his resume(I can dream)

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RatherBeGamblin

    RatherBeGamblin

    [9]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 07/26/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 63

    Shikady wrote:


    MackTN wrote:



    I guess I'm the only one who is unhappy with the series this season. It seems like a big buildup to the final episode and everything has been dragged out needlessly. What happened to Skyler's boyfriend? For someone so opposed to bad behavior, Skyler has made a 360 degree turn. Gus was supposed to be the careful guy, but it appears he's surrounded by a lot of loose cannons. Even Saul is losing his charm. The writers have slowed this series to a crawl--the action could have taken place in a few episodes.


    I'm not sure if I believe Walt's latest behavior.


    I enjoyed season 2 and purchased most of the episodes to rewatch. But I wouldn't buy this season. Nothing happens.




    I agree with Gus. They sold him to us as a careful guy. But now there's trouble with two drugdealers and he makes a meeting to try solve the problem...I didn't like that a bit.



    But I love this season. And this episode was great.


    "They sold him to us as a careful guy. But now there's trouble with two drugdealers and he makes a meeting to try solve the problem...I didn't like that a bit." That was awful, major flaw right there.



    For the guy questioning Walt's latest behavior. Did you forget the "Fly" episode. It showed how close Jesse and Walt are and Walt owed Jesse one for letting Jane die.

    Edited on 06/07/2010 7:47am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bujemi

    Bujemi

    [10]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 05/30/07
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 12

    I belived it! I belive in Walter! And i saw it coming from the second he went silent looking at the tv. Everything thathas happend until that moment, everything, going bad, becoming a drugdealer, the girl dying, the plane, everything was in a way Walter and Jessies fault, and everything about this season have been about them trying to live with the guilt of that.And in the end there was no way to go, they had to do something, they had to pay it back! And OMG they did!LOOOOVING THIS SHOW.


    And i knew they had to go all the way! Why? because as their boss said: There can't be any half measures! hihihi I guess he will be quite angry now...


    Edited on 06/07/2010 9:17am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of tuckgraph

    tuckgraph

    [11]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 09/13/06
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 916

    Walt's actions at the end were quite practical. There was a good possibility Jesse wouldn't survive the shootout. Even if he did, Gus would still have him killed. Gus has no use for Jesse. Walt, however, is quite valuable to Gus. Bottom line, those two guys had to go. Walt may have saved Jesse's life by doing it himself.


    As for the meeting with Gus, that's the side of Gus I've wanted to see. It seems out of character, because Gus becomes what he needs to be at any given time. He's a chameleon. I was surprised he was directly involved with the street dealers. I thought he would maintain a degree of separation. Go figure. Great episode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of wingsabre

    wingsabre

    [12]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 13
    • rank: Regal Beagle
    • posts: 761
    I totally knew it was blue!

    And OMG the ending!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of D-DawgMan1

    D-DawgMan1

    [13]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/25/06
    • level: 48
    • rank: Conehead
    • posts: 8,467
    This episode was fantastic. I totally didn't see the ending coming at all! Breaking Bad is officially the best. They cannot fail to amaze me every week! Good job, Breaking Bad!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Danimita

    Danimita

    [14]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/27/05
    • level: 12
    • rank: Evil Bert
    • posts: 58

    I wasn't that impressed with this episode, actually. The story was slow and not much was going on (and that normally means there's going to be good character development, but it wasn't really the case here) and the ending was kind of predictable. The moment they phoned Tomas' sister I guessed they'd killed the kid, and when Jesse was walking at the guys I imagined Walter would kill them instead. It was a good build up for the finale, though.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of adamonfire

    adamonfire

    [15]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 205

    Looks like Walt's going to need another new windshield..... I think this is just some kind of quasi-hidden gag the writers have going on. It seems like most episodes this season featuring the Aztek also feature the blue windshield tape to hold in place while it sets.



    I loved the ending, can't wait for the next episode.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of RatherBeGamblin

    RatherBeGamblin

    [16]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 07/26/09
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 63
    adamonfire wrote:

    Looks like Walt's going to need another new windshield..... I think this is just some kind of quasi-hidden gag the writers have going on. It seems like most episodes this season featuring the Aztek also feature the blue windshield tape to hold in place while it sets.



    I loved the ending, can't wait for the next episode.

    "It seems like most episodes this season featuring the Aztek also feature the blue windshield tape to hold in place while it sets."

    Huh???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of adamonfire

    adamonfire

    [17]Jun 7, 2010
    • member since: 01/31/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 205
    RatherBeGamblin wrote:
    adamonfire wrote:

    Looks like Walt's going to need another new windshield..... I think this is just some kind of quasi-hidden gag the writers have going on. It seems like most episodes this season featuring the Aztek also feature the blue windshield tape to hold in place while it sets.



    I loved the ending, can't wait for the next episode.

    "It seems like most episodes this season featuring the Aztek also feature the blue windshield tape to hold in place while it sets."

    Huh???


    His vehicle.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of AgulaDX2

    AgulaDX2

    [18]Jun 8, 2010
    • member since: 05/13/03
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 111
    Everything Walt has done was to help Jesse. These two are joined at the hips, whether they like it or not.

    Walt let Jane die because he knew Jane was a problem and bad for Jesse. (Bad for Walt too).

    Walt didn't want Jesse to kill the two drug dealers because Walt knows Jesse isn't a killer. I am pretty sure Walt believed that he himself wasn't a killer. (But once you have a life changing even like a cancer diagnosis, things can change).

    I bet Walt also felt responsible for the kid drug dealer getting the execution too. So that's 2 people who impacted Jesse gone, by the indirect hands of Walt.

    Anyways, great episode, fantastic finish.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Wildstyle555

    Wildstyle555

    [19]Jun 9, 2010
    • member since: 06/02/05
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1

    What an ending !



    :O

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CCayer

    CCayer

    [20]Jun 10, 2010
    • member since: 06/07/10
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 2

    OMFG! I can't believe how great this show is! A couple of comments on previous post:


    Gus is careful- but what if the meeting was designed to drive Jessie over the edge? I think he wants Jessie out of the picture, and that can't happen until he gets Walt to come around. Did Gus know they would kill the kid? If not, he may not be too upset at the turn of events.


    Is Walt Jr going to take his road test in a felony crime vehicle? Or will Walt make another trip to the crusher?


    As far as the developments in season 3- I like the pace- it builds the suspense. I've watched the first two seasons twice, and will probably watch season 3 again before season 4 starts. The last 4 minutes of "One Minute" are worth the price of the DVD set alone...


    I finally got my wife into the show, now I'm working on my two friends.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.