Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - "Half Measures" (possible spoilers)

Smo17

[21]Jun 10, 2010
    • level: 1

Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

For those questioning the behavior of some of the characters, I think Walt's behavior made perfect sense. The whole theme of the episode was half measures and how he was learning the hard fact that half measures don't solve the problem. He made the mistake of taking a half measure by trying to prevent Jesse from killing the two drug dealers and as a result, a little kid died. When he heard on the television that the kid died, that's when it suddenly clicked. So he took a full measure and killed the two dealers himself; in vengeance, in anger at himself and for the sake of protecting Jesse. He is valuable to Gus and can still bargain with him to some extent, despite this.

As for Skyler, I think her turn around has been slow and not rushed at all. Lot's of life changing events have happened (most recently Hank's shootout) that have slowly changed her to be more accepting of Walt's extreme measures to provide for his family. Maybe not entirely realistic based on the average persons morals, but, hey, the writer's do what they can to make the characters dynamic and interesting.

Finally, Gus. This is the only part that still doesn't seem right to me, either. I think CCayer has a pretty good guess, though, that maybe it was all set up to give him reason to off Jesse without hurting relations with Walt (not irreparably, at least). He's just underestimated the connection between the two of them.

One last thing, in relation to the quality of this season. I have personally found this to be the best season yet. It may seem slower and more drawn out than other seasons, but it's simply much more character and dialogue driven than the past. And the dialogue is, without question, top notch this time around. Best show on TV? Yeah, I think they can continue to hold on to that crown.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ott666

[22]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 8

Why do people keep referring to Walt as a drug dealer? Jesse is a drug dealer while Walt can better be described as a manufacturer.

If Walt was a drug dealer, then Pfizer is also a drug dealer.

I think the Jesse character is too much of a whiner. Very annoying character. Typical immature kid who thinks everything revolves around him.

goldtop2007

[23]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 14
    This last episode beautifully killed Jessee's "problems", while simultaneously killing the ohgodawfullest car.

I wonder what wheels Walt will be sporting next?

ott666

[24]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 8

goldtop2007 wrote:
    This last episode beautifully killed Jessee's "problems", while simultaneously killing the ohgodawfullest car. I wonder what wheels Walt will be sporting next?

I think the only constant is Walt's car. He is always going to have a damaged windshield and having to replace it constantly. Therefore you always will see the blue tape on the windshield. No new car for Walt. He'll always have the crappy Pontiac Aztek.

Edited on 06/11/2010 2:20pm

alancookie

[25]Jun 11, 2010
    • level: 3
    But did you catch at the beginning of the episode that Walt's son wanted to use the Aztec for his driving test? Will the Aztec still make it to the driving exam?

ecao123

[26]Jun 13, 2010
    • level: 4

Epic episode.

I loved the parallel between the tale of half measures with the PI and the half measures that Walter forced on Jesse.

The PI guy threatens the wife-abuser, but ultimately doesn't kill him, in the end, the wife dies because of the half measure

Walter forces Jesse to agree to a peace with the agreement of no more kids, the drug dealers kill the kid as a result of this half measure.

Anyways, ending was awesome, the suspense was so intense...