TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - I.F.T. (Possible Spoilers)

aldaros23

[1]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 53

Please use this thread for episode discussion.

Season 3, Episode 3.

Any ideas on the abbreviation?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aldaros23

[2]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 53
    Holy heck that was a good episode.....

KingKissel

[3]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 1
    Yeah it was. My jaw was on the ground for the last 5 minutes. I couldn't believe that after Walt *finally* put it all out there for her, she decides to go and bang Tom. I feel that Walt definitely put off telling her for way too long, but c'mon, now that she knows he wasn't cheating and was doing this all for the sake of the family, why did she need to stick him to him like that? Harsh to say the least.

guytwo

[4]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 7
    Skyler is obviously trying to get Walt pissed so he'll leave. She doesn't realize that Walt has stepped so far over the line.

tuckgraph

[5]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 19

This was the first episode this season that I thought was kind of "slow." Way too much time was spent on Jesse, dialing his dead girlfriend's answering machine, over and over again. He was coming on so strong, only to be portrayed as a pathetic sap again. But if that's part of his character, so be it.

The Skylar thing, I don't see why she opened up to her lawyer, if she wasn't going to take legal action. I do understand why she did her boss. Just to even the score with Walt. Breaking Bad! I got the feeling that's the only reason.

And Hank, he's a real firecracker. He went ballistic in that bar, because he's scared to death of El Paso!

Kronom

[6]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 2
    What does Skylar said at the end of the episode? I didn't put attention to that part and I didn't get it. Thank you

jokim00

[7]Apr 4, 2010
    • level: 2
    skylar said she screwed ted...or technically she said "i f**ked ted"
    are there bans on here? hope not haha

this episode was slow and i dont know if i liked it much

jesse's scenes were so stupid with him dialing his dead girl's number over and over..for emphasis but a waste of time

the skyler/walter thing was slow too..i just wanted to slap her on the face..why the heck is she so ugly? she looks like a man to me..no offense to fans of skyler -_-

hope something happens soon..she dies or moves or something or better cuz im more interested in what'll happen with the cartel!

will "gus" keep walter as his cook for a while or just use him and let the cartel kill walter?
    more interesting than skyler thats for sure..stupid woman

and i hope she doesn't get in on it..she doesnt deserve any of it for screwing ted to piss of walter..so inconsiderate grr

TeamRamRod1

[8]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 5
    Hope Heisenberg kills that b*tch.

TeaCake911

[9]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 6
    They made Skyler's motivations too complicated to understand for her storyline. I mean, I get that the writers think their audience is really intelligent (the whole periodic elements thing they have in the credits is the first clue) but reading this thread it's clear that two things are occurring here:

1) Nobody understands why Skyler does the things she's done in Season 3

2) The writers aren't doing a good job of making Skyler resonate with the audience

Skyler resents Walt on an unimaginable scale. It doesn't come across to viewers because the actress playing Skyler is playing the part as if she's constantly trying to keep her emotions in check. Count how many times Skyler runs her hands through her hair in tonight's episode-- it's in the dozens-- each time she does that, she's trying to keep it together, emotionally. Very understated, and very brilliant acting-- unfortunately it's extremely nuanced skill like this that most people really have a hard time catching the first time viewing a new episode.

Walt is the criminal in the scenario, yet everyone's treating Skyler like the villain. Walter Jr. hates her, Walt's got the cops to side with him (that one cop even gave Skyler a family counselor's card suggesting that she needs to speak with a shrink!) Her friends think she's being too harsh with Walter (because they don't know why she wants a divorce). This is the reason why she tells her lawyer the truth-- she wants at least one person to agree with her in that Walt is the "true" bad guy in this story-- not her.

So she sleeps with Ted. At first, it seems incredibly hypocritical (she punishes her husband for breaking bad to provide for his family, but sleeps with her boss that's done basically the same thing minus the desperation from having cancer???) But in reality, Ted is a means towards an end-- she's jealous that Walter can get away with criminal acts, and still come out as being the person who's "right" about everything. She KNOWS that Walt really did need to break bad to provide for her and the kids, and on some level she wants to accept the bag of cash-- which would make her just like those cops, and Walter Jr. and the rest of the people who seem to reward Walt for compromising his morals. As Walt says to her, "if she doesn't accept him/his criminal deeds that he did for the family everything was pointless." So she wants to show him in the most hurtful way possible that what he did was truly for nothing-- despite all the good intentions he had Walt ruined his family by 'cooking'. Walt was trying to live in a fantasy world where he could still have his picture-perfect life back (him cooking pot roast for the neighbor's kid) so Skyler had to show him exactly what the consequences of his criminal activity was (since calling the cops didn't work).

It was a way to make Walt understand how much he had broken things in his family. Had nothing to do with Skyler being attracted to Ted, or her wanting to push him to sign the divorce papers, really (although that is a nice side-effect). But anyway as you can see-- it's entirely TOO COMPLICATED to come to that conclusion about Skyler unless you take into account everything we've been shown of her personality for the past 3 seasons-- I'm just glad there are shows like this that don't spoonfeed the viewers and that the writers are willing to let these actresses/actors swing for the fences every week. But unfortunately since Skyler is antagonistic towards the main character she's not going to be seen in a sympathetic way by most viewers, so it's easy to miss a lot of this stuff.

dogbear1980

[10]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 3
    Feels like killing her instantly!!!
    Let's admit she felt for her boss ever since she purposely dropped her pencils cases (few episode earlier) to get his attention.
    Whatever ever Walt does is wrong while whatever his boss does, she agrees entirely. B**ch!

Bamb0o-Stick

[11]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 13

@ Teacake911

I couldn't agree with you more on your explanation of Skyler. It is just way too easy to hate on Skyler, but not enough people are viewing this from her perspective. A lot of the women on this show can easily be despised, but Skyler is the one person I can't see myself hating (at least not to the extent for most viewers). Walt is the person who turned everything upside down, and putting Skyler in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario. We are too used to seeing everything on this show from Walt's perspective. The enemies portrayed here might not really be bad people, and the friends might not be good people. I also cannot emphasize enough that she is not an idiot. She isn't like those gullible, shallow wives that you see marry mobsters. There is a lot going on inside her head, and the irrational things she does only offers a glimpse of what's there.

Edited on 04/05/2010 9:34am

guytwo

[12]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 7
    TeaCake911 wrote:
    They made Skyler's motivations too complicated to understand for her storyline. I mean, I get that the writers think their audience is really intelligent (the whole periodic elements thing they have in the credits is the first clue) but reading this thread it's clear that two things are occurring here:

1) Nobody understands why Skyler does the things she's done in Season 3

2) The writers aren't doing a good job of making Skyler resonate with the audience

Great stuff teacake911 but I do disagree with your comment about Skyler. I understand that Skyler is very frustrated by being in the right but nobody can see that. Everyone around her is tainted and with her postpartum depression (coming soon I think) she must be on the very edge. Can you see Postpartum Psychosis in her future? I can. I think she F'd Ted to make Walt mad enough to leave, and/or to get back at him. Hank is scared to death and wants to "die in action."

XxMrMarcusxX

[14]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 5

TeaCake911 wrote:
    They made Skyler's motivations too complicated to understand for her storyline. I mean, I get that the writers think their audience is really intelligent (the whole periodic elements thing they have in the credits is the first clue) but reading this thread it's clear that two things are occurring here: 1) Nobody understands why Skyler does the things she's done in Season 3 2) The writers aren't doing a good job of making Skyler resonate with the audience Skyler resents Walt on an unimaginable scale. It doesn't come across to viewers because the actress playing Skyler is playing the part as if she's constantly trying to keep her emotions in check.

I think people tend to overcomplicate Skylar's motivations. Some people believe that Skylar takes issue with Walt's lack of morals as a drug manufacturer, but that's false. When Skylar fully supports, and even aides Ted in stealing over $1 millions from the company she works at, the question of morality, or even of being secretive, is thrown out the window. Skylar is simply unimaginably selfish. She wants to ensure, at all costs, that she is not left alone. She resents Walter because he is dying. He's a sick man. He won't be around much longer. Skylar truly feels that Walt's cancer and inevitable death is a selfish undertaking because he's leaving her alone. She wants someone else, someone healthy, someone like Ted, so that she won't be alone. She's obsessed with that goal. She doesn't even take proper care of her children at this point because she keeps thinking about herself. This is why, no matter how honest Walt is, or how much money he's stockpiled for his family, or how sorry and apologetic he is, Skylar will not change her mind, because Walt simply can't NOT die. What she did with Ted, she did not knowing, but simply hoping, that Walt would become angry enough to accept a divorce. If that doesn't show how much she herself lacks morals, control and honesty, I don't know what does. But it's fine, because she's not the one dying.

Edited on 04/05/2010 2:29pm
    Edited 2 total times.

kMaan

[15]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 9

I.F.T - I F***ed Ted

kane638

[16]Apr 5, 2010
    XxMrMarcusxX wrote:

TeaCake911 wrote:
    They made Skyler's motivations too complicated to understand for her storyline. I mean, I get that the writers think their audience is really intelligent (the whole periodic elements thing they have in the credits is the first clue) but reading this thread it's clear that two things are occurring here: 1) Nobody understands why Skyler does the things she's done in Season 3 2) The writers aren't doing a good job of making Skyler resonate with the audience Skyler resents Walt on an unimaginable scale. It doesn't come across to viewers because the actress playing Skyler is playing the part as if she's constantly trying to keep her emotions in check.

I think people tend to overcomplicate Skylar's motivations. Some people believe that Skylar takes issue with Walt's lack of morals as a drug manufacturer, but that's false. When Skylar fully supports, and even aides Ted in stealing over $1 millions from the company she works at, the question of morality, or even of being secretive, is thrown out the window. Skylar is simply unimaginably selfish. She wants to ensure, at all costs, that she is not left alone. She resents Walter because he is dying. He's a sick man. He won't be around much longer. Skylar truly feels that Walt's cancer and inevitable death is a selfish undertaking because he's leaving her alone. She wants someone else, someone healthy, someone like Ted, so that she won't be alone. She's obsessed with that goal. She doesn't even take proper care of her children at this point because she keeps thinking about herself. This is why, no matter how honest Walt is, or how much money he's stockpiled for his family, or how sorry and apologetic he is, Skylar will not change her mind, because Walt simply can't NOT die. What she did with Ted, she did not knowing, but simply hoping, that Walt would become angry enough to accept a divorce. If that doesn't show how much she herself lacks morals, control and honesty, I don't know what does. But it's fine, because she's not the one dying.

Thank you for putting that into perspective. I fed up of Skylar's motives which this season has been mostly based around her so far. You make an excellent point as does the other guy. Personally I think there is too much skylar now at this point. Her involvement in the plot just cheapens the show.

Dedpol145

[17]Apr 5, 2010
    Best episode so far. This wasn't as slow as the last week's episode. Brief explanations of what happened of things we the viewers didn't know about.

Stitllams

[18]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 6
    Sure hope Skylar gets axed, after all the brothers want blood, what a biatch.

Looks like it is going to be the seed to get Walt cooking again.

Have to say it again though, Skylar to me is the worst of the worst, she did it just to spite Walt and that was obvious, I sure hope she ends up being the one killed.

kiritambo

[19]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 27

Ehm, though I don't understand why you focus on Skylar so much (she was never the core theme of this show anyway), I enjoyed the battle of dominance, defeat and balance. When you think one character has finally gained the upper hand, the next scene disproves it.

Gilligan has corrupted me - now I suspect a villain in whoever wears a ribbon

Edited on 04/05/2010 5:55pm

kiritambo

[20]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 27
    kMaan wrote:

I.F.T - I F***ed Ted

Thanks kMaan!!!