Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread - I.F.T. (Possible Spoilers)

E0L

[21]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 1
    TeaCake911 wrote:
    They made Skyler's motivations too complicated to understand for her storyline. 1) Nobody understands why Skyler does the things she's done in Season 3

Skyler resents Walt on an unimaginable scale. It doesn't come across to viewers because the actress playing Skyler is playing the part as if she's constantly trying to keep her emotions in check. Walt was trying to live in a fantasy world where he could still have his picture-perfect life back (him cooking pot roast for the neighbor's kid) so Skyler had to show him exactly what the consequences of his criminal activity was (since calling the cops didn't work).

you started out on track with why people hate skylar but then your justification is totally wrong. this isnt as present tense as her finding out it goes back to ep1 of season 1 to events that were only hinted at.

first of all lets think how walter lived before, he had 2 jobs. one of which he was exposing himself to hazardous chemicals because of unsafe working condition which is probably why he got cancer.

why was he working 2 jobs, it wasnt because skylar was pregnant its because skylar never wanted to work she wanted to be a author and pottery maker living off her husband who she was literally working to death and taking him for granted.

it is in fact skylar who is in a fantasy land, shes not above having walter degrade himself and beg for money, but when it comes to work she wont do it until the family is in full on debt.

to me shes always put herself first before walt, before she ever knew and this IFT BS is just that BS it has nothing to do with loathing ted its just an excuse to do what she always wanted. it makes no sense especially after walter pleeded his case.

1. she never had a better alternative that wouldnt leave all the debt on walter. after all hes borrowing money from his friends or working 2 jobs

2. IFTing accompishes nothing but making herself look like a vapid ungrateful selfish, ignorant whore

3. she could have said no to taking the money accomplishing the same thing without being a whore

this loathing of walter is complete and utter none sense she has no reason to loath, sure she can be shocked and dissapprove but the wrong that walter did was only to himself, its not like she ever put her pride or honor on the line for walter. she just forced him down a line of incurring debt and debasing his own free will and pride
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RAYcluse

[22]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 10

Skyler isn't selfish. I hate her with a passion but she's not selfish.

Skyler has a twisted sense of morals. When she realized Ted was stealing money, she didn't say "oh I'm telling!" she said she wasn't going to stop him but she wouldn't be a part of it either. The same applies to Walt. It's not that she hates Walt, but that she doesn't want to be part of his messed up plan.

And why can't she just, I don't know, LIE about sleeping with Ted? Because it's this twisted sense of morality once again! She can't lie. It's not in her to lie. Especially something big like this. So the only way she can say I.F.T. is to actually do it, which is more trouble than it's worth. With a lie she could at least take it back if Walt ever changes. Now she's just F'ed too much up.

This is why I hate Skyler. She's too black and white about everything. She can't see the gray area and that's just not realistic for a character. All people have gray areas. Why she is incapable of seeing Walt's good motives along with the bad is beyond me. Maybe it's the woman playing her, but I have a feeling it's the writing.

And despite my complaints, I'm liking this season a lot so far (and I'm not a a big BB fan). The character development excedes the first two seasons combined!

Bamb0o-Stick

[23]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 13

RAYcluse wrote:

And why can't she just, I don't know, LIE about sleeping with Ted? Because it's this twisted sense of morality once again! She can't lie. It's not in her to lie. Especially something big like this. So the only way she can say I.F.T. is to actually do it, which is more trouble than it's worth. With a lie she could at least take it back if Walt ever changes. Now she's just F'ed too much up.

I'm beginning to wonder if she really DID sleep with Ted. That would be a strange turn of events if she just lied just to piss Walt off, or she had a stroke of guilt or conscience and never ended up doing it. We are all so prone to believe Skylar would do this but we never actually see it. I'll believe it when things reveal itself more in later episodes. Skylar has lied before on the show, but only to protect her sister when she was shoplifting. She absolutely hated it, which is probably the same case here. She hates withholding the truth from everyone, and making herself look like a cold cruel person. If she does take the money from Walt, can she really live the rest of her life not telling everyone where this money comes from?

Edited on 04/06/2010 7:32am

RAYcluse

[24]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 10
    I thought the same thing, but the main characters are all pretty easy to read (except for Walt and occasionally Hank). Once Walt and Skyler talked that morning it was pretty obvious she was going to do something drastic. And the second Ted came in the room while she was using the copy machine I think we all knew what she was going to do.

Plus the previews for next week show Skyler and Ted half-dressed in some bedroom, so even if she didn't sleep with him yet she will next week.

Could you remind me about her sister? I know she stole those baby shower gifts for Skyler but I don't remember Skyler lying in the straighforward sense.

CjTl2005

[25]Dec 27, 2011
    • level: 11
    My thinking is this: Ted's got a much higher chance of success with his illegal acts. She knows Walt will be gone soon and she knows no matter what, that she will not be able to hang on to Walt's money given that it was obtained illegally. She wants to be able to land on her feet after all this is over. So . . . . Ted! He's divorced, am I correct? He's not sick and he's successful. Plus, if he's cooking the books, she's at least in on it. There will be no secrets between them.