Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Official Discussion Thread: "No Rough Stuff Type Deal" (3-9-08)

tjaman

[1]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 32
    Now I'm all verklempt. Discuss amongst yourselves -- I'll give you a topic. Walter White is neither a wall nor a sprite. Discuss!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ExodusPenguin

[2]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 15

I, for one, really enjoyed this episode. It had a good mix of emotion and action, almost like "Gray Matters" meets "Crazy Handful of Nothin'." I don't know if this episode will make people come back for a second season, though. I know I definitely would, but others might not be that willing to tune back in. It's probably because of the strike that they didn't have a more enticing ending, but regardless, I am worried that it either a) won't get picked back up or b) will fail miserably if it does.

Anyway, the whole shoplifting plot was amusing, as was the stealing of the drug by Walt and Jesse. This ep was a lot more comedic than the others, and in a not-so-dark way, too. It was refreshing. The end was crazy. Tuco is crazy! They got involved with the wrongggg distributor.

Also, Walt looks -- to quote Walt Jr. -- "badass" with those sunglasses and little black hat. And the junkyard...so funny.

zombiegoblin

[3]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 7
    Until I saw the last two episodes, I thought this was an okay show, but not great. These last two completely changed my mind. This show has evolved so much lately. I guess it's kind of like a book -- the first few chapters are pretty mediocre, but necessary to give meaning to what comes next. BB is getting borderline-incredible now, and I couldn't be happier with the direction it's taken. This was a great episode and a great way to end the season, even though it was a super-short season.

SirLars_68

[4]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 8
    BB is easily the best new show this year. It's like weeds taken seriously. Dark humour, intense characters and outstanding acting especially on the part of Bryan Cranston. Tell your friends to watch this show, contact AMC and tell them how much you love it. Make sure this show has more seasons because to lose a show like this would be a tremendous loss to television.

Ascromortar

[5]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 10
    Amen SirLars, amen. With this season finale, this show now officially ranks in my Top 10 of all time. I feel like we've been robbed of a complete season, though. I seriously will cry if we don't get to see more of this phenomenal quality television. I MUST have resolution for these characters. I now officially care about them too much! Heh. Bravo, Breaking Bad, bravo. Let's make it our duty to ensure a Season 2.

Gnidrolog

[6]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 5

I really hope it comes back. This is far and away the best new show this year, and one of the best ever. I wish we could have found out more about the Walt/Gretchen thing.

It really looks like Walt can handle Tuco, as long as he keeps some mercury at hand.

My question for you is: who dies first, Walt or Jesse?

domino87

[7]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 10

Great episode. Damn writers strike really fcked this show up though didnt it.

Def think it'll be back for a 2nd season. It's not like AMC has that many shows where it has more need to cancel one to save money.

Someone above said it's in their top 10 shows of all time. Thats a pretty bold statement after just half a season. I'm gonna wait until I see a full season to make judgements on just how good it is, but it has the potential to be damn good thats for sure.

aldaros23

[8]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 53
    Bryan Cranston is a really great actor. he really dedicates himself to every role. i have to catch up, i just caught this episode yesterday, but i should probably go back and watch the first episodes.

jmmaria

[9]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    Gnidrolog wrote:

My question for you is: who dies first, Walt or Jesse?

My gut says Jesse because his character is so vulnerable in some ways but maybe Walt will die first and Jesse will survive him because Jesse is Walt's (other) legacy.

Edited on 03/10/2008 8:43pm

tjaman

[10]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 32
    I loved the conversation between Walt and Hank, talking about what's legal and what's not, and how arbitrary it is.

Kevin Costner had a line at the end of "The Untouchables," where a reporter asked his character, Eliot Ness, about the end of Prohibition, and how he'd celebrate, and it was something like "I'd raise a toast." My reaction is that it may be incredibly arbitrary -- for example, cocaine used to be available as soda pop, pot is legal in the Netherlands and now even in some states with a prescription, and Cuban cigars are only illegal because of economic sanctions -- but substances are controlled for a reason. Tobacco is age-restricted, and even alcohol isn't carte blanche for 21 and older, because drunk driving is illegal.

Meth is controlled for perfectly good reasons, and if it were to come back to its OTC status, I still don't think I'd necessarily want to use crack caffeine.

All that being said, I loved the blue meth, and Tuco's reaction: "Blue, pink, yellow, you keep bringin' it!"

And the guy insisting that he get a look at the basement. "It's occupied!"

Loved the sex in the car, and the shoplifting thing. Really, this whole episode kicked major booty, and I look forward to seeing where they take it next. Good work, everyone!

Mafeu

[11]Mar 11, 2008
    • level: 69
    Anybody got any idea how the how rated (viewing figures) on AMC?

I'd really like to see more of this series. Hopefully AMC will renew it for a second season sometime soon.

Truman_Burbank

[12]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    zombiegoblin wrote:
    Until I saw the last two episodes, I thought this was an okay show, but not great. These last two completely changed my mind. This show has evolved so much lately. I guess it's kind of like a book -- the first few chapters are pretty mediocre, but necessary to give meaning to what comes next. BB is getting borderline-incredible now, and I couldn't be happier with the direction it's taken. This was a great episode and a great way to end the season, even though it was a super-short season.

It's interesting that you kept watching the show even though you felt like the first few episodes were mediocre. I gotta say that, after watching the pilot, I was instantly hooked and I feel like there wasn't a single mediocre episode in this first season. It's a real shame that it was so short, either due to the writer's strike or some weird decision by AMC to only order 7 episodes. If this doesn't get a second season, I'll be extremely upset.

SirLars_68 wrote:
    It's like weeds taken seriously.

I like Weeds, but Breaking Bad is much better. In this show, I actually care about the characters and there's a real sense of danger.

HolyPrincess

[13]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 9
    Goosd