Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Overrated?

No1Slayerette

[1]Dec 13, 2011
    • level: 9

So at the risk of anyone tying a bomb to the wheel-chair of my arch-nemesis and blowing me up, does anyone else think Breaking Bad is overrated? Don't get me wrong, it's a really addictive show (watched all of it in about 2-3 weeks), and the acting is superb, but it sort of grates me a little when everyone on here (not just the Breaking Bad forums, but on tv.com in general) makes Breaking Bad out to be the best thing that has ever been on television. It's definitely not without its flaws.

Except for Saul, I don't like any of the main characters. I must state that I think Walt is the most complex and three-dimensional character I've seen on television, but I definitely don't like him, and I think for a show needs likable characters to be fully enjoyed. And speaking of the main characters, Walt Jr. and Marie are nothing more than expensive extras. I've seen little or no character development from them since the beginning of the show, and they serve little more purpose than being the family/ love ones for Walt and Hank.

There are plot-holes, one worth mentioning off the top my head, is when the head of the DEA informant on a turtle blows up in El Paso killing/ injuring several officers you would think an investigation would be undertaken. Yes, I know Hank was sent home after this occurred, but you would think the El Paso police would try and uncover who organised the bombing. Despite the fact we find out through a flashback that the two cousins did this, it doesn't explain how they weren't caught, especially since they never seemed to make any effort to conceal themselves or to hide what they have done.

I big complement I hear about Breaking Bad is that it is a very fast-paced show how big events/ revelations happen more frequently than other shows. In perspective though, wasn't Walt trying to escape/ get rid of Gus for the entire fourth season?

As I've said, I am NOT bashing Breaking Bad. It is a good show. I think I just get annoyed when everybody makes it out to be the best television show ever, when there are many good shows on television.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TrevorDion

[2]Dec 14, 2011
    • level: 2

Before i said anything else let me poke hole in your idea of plot holes . OK first off there probably was a investigate but is this a cop show ,no its not ,its about Walter and his family and meth.the two cousin doing and not getting caught well maybe there prints were not in the system or any evidence to convict them exploded. i don't think you are not suppose to like Walter kind of.you like him in the beginning and you see all he does and that challenge that likability.It the best show on television- yes and is there other shows that are good-yes .is breaking bad fast paced all the time-no is that a bad thing-no

Edited on 12/14/2011 7:14pm

BreakingBad23

[3]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 4

If you want plot holes and a bad supporting cast, watch Dexter seasons 5 and 6.

Exophagy

[4]Dec 18, 2011
    • level: 6

"This season, Breaking Bad was more than a good thing; it was a great thing where performance, *direction, concept, and *hallucinatory New Mexico location photography all came together with the power of a bomb wired to a wheelchair. Bryan *Cranston and Aaron Paul turned in the best performances I've seen in years, and Giancarlo Esposito (as Gus Fring) is simply the best villain ever on a *continuing TV show. The ultimate showdown between Gus and Walter is mythic, the outcome simultaneously satisfying and completely surprising. Breaking Bad has now surpassed The Sopranos, and, although I love Steve Buscemi, HBO's Boardwalk Empire isn't even in the running. Breaking Bad is an American classic."

Stephen King

No1Slayerette

[5]May 16, 2012

Exophagy wrote:

"This season, Breaking Bad was more than a good thing; it was a great thing where performance, *direction, concept, and *hallucinatory New Mexico location photography all came together with the power of a bomb wired to a wheelchair. Bryan *Cranston and Aaron Paul turned in the best performances I've seen in years, and Giancarlo Esposito (as Gus Fring) is simply the best villain ever on a *continuing TV show. The ultimate showdown between Gus and Walter is mythic, the outcome simultaneously satisfying and completely surprising. Breaking Bad has now surpassed The Sopranos, and, although I love Steve Buscemi, HBO's Boardwalk Empire isn't even in the running. Breaking Bad is an American classic."

Stephen King

Yeah, I must admit, Dexter Season 5 really annoyed me dropping the ball on the Santa Muerta brothers.

This is my main problem with the praise of Breaking Bad 'direction, concept, and hallucinatory New Mexico location photography all came together'. Personally, I don't find the way in which a show is filmed, or it's location, a defining part in how I enjoy it. I personally find the way in which Breaking Bad is photographed as extremely pretentious. Yes, you can do more interesting things with a camera then most, and overall, some may find that it improves a show exponentially, but I do not.

aldaros23

[6]May 21, 2012
    • level: 53
    Well you can certainly find specific flaws, but overall, I'd say this show comes together very nicely, which is why it beats the heck out of a lot of other shows. Each episode is produced by a team of very creative people and they all put in serious effort. If something is not right, they re-do it, they don't settle until they think it's perfect.

No1Slayerette

[7]May 21, 2012

Well, yeah, you're right, it's definitely in my top ten.

MatthewRaiche

[8]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 5

Well, sure, it has flaws (one thing that annoyed me was that Gus didn't have an accent when he first came into the show, but developed one later on), but most shows that go on for a long time and have a continuing plot end up with a few problems with continuity and things they never revisit that they hope viewers will forget about(look at "Lost" for a perfect example of the latter).

I certainly don't think this show is overrated. It's definitely my favorite show on TV at the moment and my third favorite show of all time (my first two being "Arrested Development" and "My Name is Earl" in that order). The fact that I'm normally a fan of off-beat comedy, but "Breaking Bad" is in my top three says a lot.

Also, I'm very impressed that the quality of "Breaking Bad" hasn't diminished as the show approaches its conclusion. Even "Chuck," which was a great show, started to go downhill toward the end.

Edited on 07/13/2012 4:59am
    Edited 3 total times.