Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Skylar is ruining this show for me right now

jmac4ever

[1]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 5

I can't be the only one who feels this way. And I don't blame Anna Gunn. She's a great actress. I blame all of television. How many scripted shows on television are actually run by women? Hardly any. Now, how many are run by men? Quite a few. This is why I believe there are very few respectable female characters on television. When looking at BB through that perspective, one can see how the Skylar character has been aproached the way she has. Think on it for a second. She knows that they were strapped for cash. She knows that Walt thought he was going to die. In just this last episode, she even got some perspective on it from her boss. Even after hearing her boss's explanation and knowing that her husband, who she was supposed to love, was in a way worse situation then her boss, she still treats Walt like crap. If she has half of the intelligence and understanding that we are supposed to believe she has up to this point, then surely she should be able to see why Walt did what he did and fill in the blanks for herself. Honestly, Walt shouldn't even have to explain himself, but even if he does, she won't even let him do that! As far as I'm concerned, if she wanted to divorce him because she feels as though they've grown apart, that could be believable. But keeping him away from his kids after everything he's had to sacrifice to provide for them is ludacris. Women like Skylar are the difference between men who are naturally abusive and forceful and men who are pushed to that through unfair demonization. It's a shame because I really love the writing on this show 90% of the time and I had a ton a respect for Terry Gilliam in the first two seasons, but if Skylar doesn't snap out of it soon, I just won't be able to bear this show for much longer. Does anyone else feel like I do?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tuckgraph

[2]Mar 31, 2010
    • level: 19

I agree that Skylar's character seems the most one dimensional right now. And I thought to myself, maybe it's because there's male writers and producers? But I got to thinking more about it.

Skylar's in accounting. She knows Walt's medical bills, and has probably considered how much drug (meth) dealing was required to pay those bills. My guess is she's scared, and literally has no one to turn to. She looks back at the many, many times he's lied, and sees no way she could ever trust him again. I'm disappointed in how she's been portrayed these first two episodes. Almost like a prop.

If and when she confides in someone, it could open a powder keg. I think she feels trapped. That's no excuse, more of a rationalization.

guytwo

[3]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 7
    Are you guys crazy? Skylar is a walking time bomb; when, and how, she'll go off is where the tension is. Can you say Postpartum Psychosis? The writing and acting for Skylar is excellent.

kane638

[4]Apr 5, 2010
    • level: 3
    guytwo wrote:
    Are you guys crazy? Skylar is a walking time bomb; when, and how, she'll go off is where the tension is. Can you say Postpartum Psychosis? The writing and acting for Skylar is excelTlent.

Too bad people want to see the two main Characters of the show Walt and Jessy, not about Skylar. I like Skyler in doses, not my entire course meal.

guytwo

[5]Apr 5, 2010
    The show is about a family, a family in trouble. Skylar is certainly a part of the family and an important part.

Eric10301

[6]Apr 6, 2010
    • level: 12

Skylar in annoying the hell out of me and I wish we could get back to Jesse/Walt. It feels like her character is just using Walt's wrong doings as an out for the boring life she is trapped in.

NatalieParsnip

[7]Apr 7, 2010

You guys do realize that drug manufacturing and dealing is incredible dangerous right? Two cartel members show up at his house with an axe and you're asking why Skylar wants to keep Walt away from their kids? She's not afraid he'll hurt them, she's afraid that the people he's willingly mixed up with will hurt them, a fairly common occurrence within the drug world.

Some people, like Walt, are willing to compromise their principles for another purpose. Some people aren't. Skylar is clearly one of the few that believes that engaging in society means not flouting the basic tenets of its laws that maintain the peace and safety that she wants her children to grow up in.

Edited on 04/07/2010 2:58pm
    Edited 2 total times.

guytwo

[8]Apr 7, 2010
    Good point NatalieParsnip. For some reason there is a lot of unreasonable Skyler hate out there.

shammihundal

[9]Apr 8, 2010
    • level: 1

NatalieParsnip wrote:

You guys do realize that drug manufacturing and dealing is incredible dangerous right? Two cartel members show up at his house with an axe and you're asking why Skylar wants to keep Walt away from their kids? She's not afraid he'll hurt them, she's afraid that the people he's willingly mixed up with will hurt them, a fairly common occurrence within the drug world.

Some people, like Walt, are willing to compromise their principles for another purpose. Some people aren't. Skylar is clearly one of the few that believes that engaging in society means not flouting the basic tenets of its laws that maintain the peace and safety that she wants her children to grow up in.

Skylar also has done the same thing. She know about her bosses wrong doing and was ok with it as long as he "fixed" it up and then she cheated on Walt with the boss. I wouldnt be surprised if Skylar comes around and helps walt with it all.

guytwo

[10]Apr 8, 2010
    Skyler asking her boss to correct the books isn't even close to cooking meth. I believe that she also said she wasn't going to sign off on them until the books were corrected.

jbird1812003

[11]Apr 12, 2010
    • level: 2

She isn't ruining the show but definitely annoying the hell out of me. She is way to two-faced for me. She was always a moral person but with her being in the right like in first season with her sister's stealing problem to Walter making meth. But not only does she turn her head to her boss's book keeping fixing and then he extreme low blow sleeping with him. I really hate this character now.

ilovemulder

[12]Apr 13, 2010
    I am amazed at the range of perspectives on Skylar! I thought it was pretty straightforward what she has been doing this season and at the end of last season. So I might as well throw my perspective in there, too, because just now it seems to me she is the most sympathetic character in the show. Skylar is supposed to be a counterpoint to Walt in that both start out as upstanding citizens, but when we see Walt tempted he gives in immediately due to his giant provider complex and the fact that his moral fiber is just very, very weak--he would rather have excitement than family; he would rather act out fantasies in which he is a big important man than minimize the risk to his loved ones. Skylar is like a barometer of goodness, showing us we can believe in Walt's weak moral fiber, which we all must sense, despite his upstanding status at the show's beginning, since she clearly feels that there is something wrong going on with him. Her good allows her to sense the evil in Walt; she knows from the beginning of his escapades that he is doing some very, very bad things, and she recoils. It's as if there was evil in Walt waiting to get out, and when it did, Skylar knew it. I can believe that of a long-married couple. And at every step of the way, Skylar has asked for and done only the right thing. She wanted Walt to be honest. He couldn't do that. She wants to keep her family together. She knows Walt's not the man for that. Before she knew he was dealing drugs, she knew he was the kind of man who could deal drugs (and strangle men with wire). Her coldness is proof that she is a better person than Walt.

This season, her kicking him out of the house and keeping the children away from a meth dealing maniac who has killed people and will do it again is extremely reasonable and responsible. I admire her for not telling anyone, even though everyone in her life is giving her flak for it. It's best for the children. She is being really strong in a terrible situation. And sleeping with her boss? Excellent move. Walt is being a manipulative, unreasonable, controlling tyrant. He is trying to have something he is not qualified for in trying to get his family back. He is whining for something he has already lost. He is a bad person, and if he had an ounce of good in him he would let his family go away from his influence. It is disrespectful that he won't acquiesce to Skylar's wishes, but hangs around the house making grilled cheese and pretending nothing is wrong. It's a little scary, the image of this man with all this evil in him beneath the surface sitting at his wife's kitchen table making insincere sounding inane comments to his son that give the lie to his desire for family. So what can Skylar do? She can play the only card she has, do the only thing that will get through Walt's skull. She can sleep with someone he's met and felt threatened by. Would we rather she sat passively by while Walt disrespects her? Absolutely not. And besides--what's Skylar got to do for fun, anyway? Everyone hates her at home. Her marriage is definitely a joke. The fling's completely understandable from that perspective as well. Good for her. And as to the books she asked her boss to fix. She already feels powerless in her home situation. She is probably deeply amazed to be surrounded by so much corruption, and feels a little defeated over the state of the world. What can she do? She needs the job to be independent from Walt. And as to her being the reason men beat their wives? I'm deeply offended by this. There are plenty of reasons domestic abuse happens, but women's behavior toward their husbands has got to be very, very low on the list, miles beneath, for example, the actual choices men make. That's terrifying. Ugh. Do we want Skylar to sit by and subserviently bend to Walt's wishes? She wants to raise her family safely and lawfully. That is extremely reasonable. To ask that she be Walt's supporter and handmaiden in crime sounds, to me, like misogyny. And as to there not being female writers: Yeah, that's a problem for the aspiring female writers, but just because someone happens to be gendered biologically male doesn't mean they can't understand a female character enough to write her. To posit that is to posit that there are deep and uncrossable differences in the way men and women think and act that make it impossible for one to understand the other on any level. Which is ridiculous. We're all people, with individual characteristics. I mean, there probably aren't many drug dealing writers for TV, but we don't complain about how all the drug dealers are unsympathetic and it's got to be due to the lack of writers from the drug dealing profession. Go Skylar! I really hope she and the kids get away from Walt. Edited to add a point I forgot!
    Edited on 04/13/2010 8:05pm

NatalieParsnip

[13]Apr 13, 2010

^That is one hell of a good reply, and I wish I could do it justice.

RatherBeGamblin

[14]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4

ilovemulder wrote:
    I am amazed at the range of perspectives on Skylar! I thought it was pretty straightforward what she has been doing this season and at the end of last season. So I might as well throw my perspective in there, too, because just now it seems to me she is the most sympathetic character in the show. Skylar is supposed to be a counterpoint to Walt in that both start out as upstanding citizens, but when we see Walt tempted he gives in immediately due to his giant provider complex and the fact that his moral fiber is just very, very weak--he would rather have excitement than family; he would rather act out fantasies in which he is a big important man than minimize the risk to his loved ones. Skylar is like a barometer of goodness, showing us we can believe in Walt's weak moral fiber, which we all must sense, despite his upstanding status at the show's beginning, since she clearly feels that there is something wrong going on with him. Her good allows her to sense the evil in Walt; she knows from the beginning of his escapades that he is doing some very, very bad things, and she recoils. It's as if there was evil in Walt waiting to get out, and when it did, Skylar knew it. I can believe that of a long-married couple. And at every step of the way, Skylar has asked for and done only the right thing. She wanted Walt to be honest. He couldn't do that. She wants to keep her family together. She knows Walt's not the man for that. Before she knew he was dealing drugs, she knew he was the kind of man who could deal drugs (and strangle men with wire). Her coldness is proof that she is a better person than Walt. This season, her kicking him out of the house and keeping the children away from a meth dealing maniac who has killed people and will do it again is extremely reasonable and responsible. I admire her for not telling anyone, even though everyone in her life is giving her flak for it. It's best for the children. She is being really strong in a terrible situation. And sleeping with her boss? Excellent move. Walt is being a manipulative, unreasonable, controlling tyrant. He is trying to have something he is not qualified for in trying to get his family back. He is whining for something he has already lost. He is a bad person, and if he had an ounce of good in him he would let his family go away from his influence. It is disrespectful that he won't acquiesce to Skylar's wishes, but hangs around the house making grilled cheese and pretending nothing is wrong. It's a little scary, the image of this man with all this evil in him beneath the surface sitting at his wife's kitchen table making insincere sounding inane comments to his son that give the lie to his desire for family. So what can Skylar do? She can play the only card she has, do the only thing that will get through Walt's skull. She can sleep with someone he's met and felt threatened by. Would we rather she sat passively by while Walt disrespects her? Absolutely not. And besides--what's Skylar got to do for fun, anyway? Everyone hates her at home. Her marriage is definitely a joke. The fling's completely understandable from that perspective as well. Good for her. And as to the books she asked her boss to fix. She already feels powerless in her home situation. She is probably deeply amazed to be surrounded by so much corruption, and feels a little defeated over the state of the world. What can she do? She needs the job to be independent from Walt. And as to her being the reason men beat their wives? I'm deeply offended by this. There are plenty of reasons domestic abuse happens, but women's behavior toward their husbands has got to be very, very low on the list, miles beneath, for example, the actual choices men make. That's terrifying. Ugh. Do we want Skylar to sit by and subserviently bend to Walt's wishes? She wants to raise her family safely and lawfully. That is extremely reasonable. To ask that she be Walt's supporter and handmaiden in crime sounds, to me, like misogyny. And as to there not being female writers: Yeah, that's a problem for the aspiring female writers, but just because someone happens to be gendered biologically male doesn't mean they can't understand a female character enough to write her. To posit that is to posit that there are deep and uncrossable differences in the way men and women think and act that make it impossible for one to understand the other on any level. Which is ridiculous. We're all people, with individual characteristics. I mean, there probably aren't many drug dealing writers for TV, but we don't complain about how all the drug dealers are unsympathetic and it's got to be due to the lack of writers from the drug dealing profession. Go Skylar! I really hope she and the kids get away from Walt. Edited to add a point I forgot!
    LOL at this BullShhh Why did she go back to her job after finding out her boss is stealing and lying. Give me real reasons that justify that over her Husband. The writers are most likely reaching with her character behavior.

ilovemulder

[15]Apr 14, 2010

[/QUOTE]

RatherBeGamblin wrote:
    LOL at this BullShhh Why did she go back to her job after finding out her boss is stealing and lying. Give me real reasons that justify that over her Husband. The writers are most likely reaching with her character behavior.

She went back because she needs the job and she has a lot of other stress already as well. There's no reason whatsoever to assume that she was not planning to leave, until Walt came home and forced her to deal with that situation first. And nobody's perfect. Can we not forgive Skylar for stalling to do the more-right thing, when we forgive Walt and Jesse doing the wrong thing over and over again, and we like them anyway? And justifying that over her husband? He's a drug manufacturer and something of a bad egg. We like him anyway because he's a character in a show. But for a husband? I do not think so. Viewers can wait around for Walt's redemption, but there's no reason Skylar should have to.
    Edited on 04/14/2010 12:32pm
    Edited 2 total times.

RatherBeGamblin

[17]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4

16 years of marriage down the drain due to over reaction, and lets all forget that Walt is going to die soon with his cancer too while we're at it so let him be able to see his kids either. She asked Ted what if his Kids found out, so its ok for Ted to something awful and not her Husband. She just wanted an excuse so he can sleep with Ted.

Edited on 04/14/2010 1:09pm

jmac4ever

[18]Apr 14, 2010
    While it's all well and good to talk about Skylar's supposed "moral highground", it comes from a very niave "black and white" point of view and completely ignores the years that they spent married. It also completely ignores the years Walt has spent living the "good life" and being a "good man". Skylar seems to have thrown all of that out the window. She also absolutely refuses to acknowledge the initial motive behind Walt making Meth: providing for his family. He wasn't doing it for kicks. If he was doing it just for the thrill, he wouldn't have hidden it from her. He hid it from her because he was ashamed and because he wanted her to have deniability.

At the very least she could be civil to him and acknowledge why he did what he did. Unfortunately, the last few episodes have only shown her in a worse light. She's not turning Walt in, but not because she understands or is really worried about the children, she's just waiting for him to die. Then she bangs her boss as if cheating on your husband for your own benefit and selling Meth to provide for your family is the same thing. I'm not saying Walt doesn't have a provider complex, I'm saying he had one before the cancer and never sold Meth before then. The cancer triggered it. He had to resort to drastic measures. And, as far as Skylar being worried about the safety of the family goes, Skylar knows nothing about the people Walt are involved with or whether or not he or they would be in any danger. If she was that concerned about that aspect of it, she would have took the kids and left the house. Walt has had good reasons for his actions, Skylar hasn't.

JoeWashington8

[19]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 9

Very good reply, ilovemurder. But there's one problem with it. According to the promo of this Sunday's episode, Skylar may be considering keeping the money her husband got from his drug dealing at the cost of the lives he has destroyed. Soit seems that she may be on a path of moral corruption that will continue into the rest of the season.

guytwo

[20]Apr 17, 2010
    Of course Skyler will try to keep the money. She is failing, just like Walt failed. Soon Skyler will join Walt in total corruption.