Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Skylar is ruining this show for me right now

stevetheroofguy

[21]Apr 17, 2010
    • level: 2

I'm fine with Skyler as a character but I'm tired of the depressing tone without any fun. I like it when crazy things are happening like failing miserably at melting a body and Walt in the desert in his undies. I feel that Skyler is focused on too much without a good counter balance. I miss Walt the bad ass Heisenberg. If there was more of that sort of thing then I could enjoy the Skyler aspect better.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MackTN

[22]Apr 19, 2010

I think Skylar is meant to be annoying. She is sanctimonious--her sister's stealing, Walt's activities--she doesn't seem open to any explanations. But she does look the other way at work with a boss who is cooking the books for the good of his employees. She's become an accomplice in both situations. Someone so self-righteous would have found another job. And she should realize that the niceties she so dearly enjoys at her lover's house have been paid for with crooked money.

I think the reason she is grating more and more on people is because this season has slowed to a crawl. Barely anything has happened in these early episodes in contrast to other seasons that provided shows with more action. I would not even purchase these initial shows because nothing really happens in them.

ilovemulder

[23]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 5
    I don't think 16 years of marriage is any defense against the sins of the present--typically 16 years of marriage would actually be a motivator for divorce :p Seriously, though: Marriage isn't necessarily good just because it's long. They probably--almost certainly--had problems before Walt got sick, since he was always the kind of man whose pride in providing and being independent (as is evinced by his conduct with his former business partners, both when he was young and last season) often overwhelms his judgment and even his sense of right and wrong. And yes, Walt is going to die. But that doesn't mean she has to stick by him if she decides he is a bad man. She is not stupid; she knows as well as we all do that drug dealing is not a world where you do business cleanly or morally. And so she's decided to wants out. She's made a judgment call on the basis of what she does know.

Sure, Walt did the whole meth thing "for" her and the kids. But he didn't, really; a lot of men want to provide for their families and either do so within the law or don't do so because they can't do so within the law. Skyler's an accountant. She can provide for the kids without Walt. It's egotistical for him to think that the only way Skyler and the kids can "survive" is if he makes them millions of dollars dealing meth. Skyler is not a slave to her marriage no matter what Walt "did for her" without her knowing about it. Honestly, it's like we attack Skyler the second she breaks from the role of supportive long-suffering quiet house wife. Also, saying Skyler has the moral highground may be a little black and white, but only insofar as I'm comparing Walt and Skyler and one's got to be whiter than the other. Skyler, so far, has not proactively done anything wrong; she has instead reacted to the wrongs of others, and she inarguabley has not reacted, in the case of her boss, in a moral way. But that doesn't mean she isn't on balance a better person than Walt; it just means she's a more reactive than proactive person. Which is probably why Walt's the star of the show and Skyler's not :p And maybe's she's slipping, with not telling anyone about her boss or leaving the job, and with considering keeping Walt's money. But this is a show of moral ambiguities. Skyler may be slipping because she's got a lot of pressure on her, just like Walt slipped for that reason. Maybe they will end up in the same place morally. But right now, they're not in the same place. Skyler could still turn it around. Heisenburg can't. He's done it. And a final note: How in the world can anyone get frustrated with Skyler for sleeping with someone she likes--when her husband is essentially forcing himself into her home--on a show where you have to give into the moral ambiguity of liking a drug dealer just to sit through an episode? It's almost like some people regard a woman's sexual indiscretion, even in the context of a breaking marriage, to be worse than the sum of everything Walt has done. This is hysteria, placing that much moral weight on Skyler keeping her vagina shut. We call her a whore while loving Walt and Jesse, who steal, kill, deal substances that destroy live in huge quantities without remorse, and generally run around trying to intimidate people. Clearly this is sexism, the weighing of Walt's "extenuating circumstances" for his moral failure--He must provide! He is a Man!--to so far outweigh Skyler's "extenuating circumstances"--she's married against her will, her husband's a bad person forcing himself into her life, and she has no one in her life who doesn't hate her.

danielrobbins

[24]Apr 19, 2010

What an interesting array of opinions of Skylar, Walt and Jesse. This wide variety of feelings on the characters is, in my opinion, telling of the great great writing going on. See, it isn't just Walt and, to a lesser degree, Skylar that is "breaking bad," it's also us, the viewers. The show is asking us to like a sometimes unpleasant, oblivious-to-his-consequences guy - Walt - as he endangers his family and takes up a life of crime. And given his motivations - or at least his original motivations (what they are now, I think, is a little more selfish) - we do. Even when we don't like him, we like him. The show asks us to like a wife and mother who abandons her husband after he is diagnosed with terminal cancer and who is doing the unimaginable to provide for them, even after she begins an affair. And we do ... we understand why she has left, but we hate her for doing so (and I agree with the earlier depiction of Skylar as a ticking time-bomb). The point is, the conflicting opinions of the characters and their morality is where this show's genius is. All those who hate Skylar for leaving are completely right; but all those who like her for doing so are completely right as well. Breaking Bad is a show where we aren't just watching Walt and Skylar erode their moralities as they conflict with each other, we are also participating in the same activity. We are continually watching these characters do things we don't want them to, and yet, somehow, we like that they did so. When they surprise us and do what we want them to do, to some degree we end up not liking them for doing so. To call it "watching a train wreck" is an understatement; rather, it's more like watching 2 (or more, if you include Jesse, Hank, and whomever else gets sucked in) incredibly fast and colossal trains very deliberately moving towards an inevitable wreck, in a slow motion, with a baby and a teenage son with cerebral palsy on board. I don't know about you, but I couldn't look away. I hate that I want to look, but I do anyway.

Edited on 04/19/2010 2:03pm
    Edited 2 total times.

jmac4ever

[25]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 5
    Some of the horrible things that Walt has done come with a lot of provisions. The people he's killed or had a hand in killing were always people that were trying to kill him or people that were completely psychotic.

And also, Skylar MAY have been able to provide for her and Walt Jr., but the situation at hand was that Skylar was pregnant with another baby. Walt Jr. was getting older, he wasn't as much of a dependent. But with another baby on the way, Walt saw the life she had to look forward to and didn't want her to have to struggle. Yes, Skylar is an accountant, but obviously she isn't making that much since Walt's had to use the drug money to pay their bills for the last few months.

With the hospital bills and the regular bills piling up and, I don't know if I mentioned this, ANOTHER baby on the way, was there really any short-term, LEGAL way for Walt to get the money to pay for everything?

TheHsza

[26]Sep 10, 2010
    • level: 1

I find it hard to like Skylar, and I think it's very understandable that she inspires a good deal of viewer dislike.

Don't get me wrong, Walt is no saint. He's human and very flawed, makes poor decisions which end up hurting people, and is in the business of manufacturing meth which is probably going to destroy the lives of countless people. In his mind, it's a last resort to provide for his family; a dangerous, high-risk gamble, one in which Walt is willing to sacrifice everything to secure his family's future.

Skylar is human and flawed, and in my opinion also possesses the instinct to do whatever it takes to make sure her family gets by. She sometimes makes poor decisions, and in some cases does some downright despicable things (smoking while pregnant, sleeping with her boss and rubbing it in Walt's face). What disturbs me more than the acts themselves are her motivations for doing them; in the case of the baby, a case can be made that she had a lapse of judgment, leading her to make an extremely poor decision that could have harmed her own flesh and blood; a moment of weakness perhaps. But sleeping with her boss seemed so premeditated and motivated by spite that I simply hated her after that. The manner in which she crushed Walt with the news that she was sleeping with Ted, just really rubbed me the wrong way. I remember Walt's expression looked as if something inside him had died. That pretty much sealed it for me.

If the writers' goal was to get us to dislike Skylar, then mission f'in accomplished. I found myself wishing she had been home when the two cartel assassins showed up at the house with the axe!

Either way, I hope they build on her character more in the next season. Like someone said earlier, she really is a bomb about to go off.

keemo19799

[27]Jun 16, 2012

Absolutely. The fact that Walt panders to her incessant selfish bitching made me stop watching halfway through season 4. Poor writing and character development of that season ruined an otherwise developing and interesting dynamic between the cast. Doubtful I will continue the series. Its just another let down from the cable networks.

Edited on 06/16/2012 7:55pm

denslim

[28]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 3

In the first place, Skylar already decided to divorce Walt even before she knew he was manufacturing meth. So arguments about Skylar keeping her children safe from drug dealers or wondering about how many children died because of drugs is irrelevant.

I'm just starting season 3 and based on the posts here, damn I gotta get ready for some whining and irritating scenes.

Mike_Schmidt

[29]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 7
    Skylar is doomed

DavidStocker

[30]Sep 1, 2012
    @TheHsza

I agree completely. We all can acknowledge that Walt let his ego/pride prevent him from accepting the money from his former colleagues. We all know that he was bitter for not gaining success from his hard work and for losing his relationship with Gretchen Schwartz. Once he found that he had cancer, it put even more perspective on these failures. He did not want to fail his family, he did not what his last will and testament to leave the ones he loved the most with debt due to those failures. He himself admits that he is no criminal, but he wanted the fast money; this feeling of urgency due to his bout with cancer is what made the first two seasons so intriguing. Walt knew that with his knowledge of chemistry, he could excel at manufacturing the meth, but he did not think things through. He had no real clue the lows he would have to stoop to accomplish his goals.

Walt is a very flawed character. He continued to point out Jesse's stupidity, but he continues to make BIG mistakes, ones that seem irrational and desperate. That is probably the best way to describe Walt. Desperation drove Walt's immorality. However these flaws are the product of good intentions, however grossly misguided.

The reason I find Skylar more contemptible, at least at this point in the series (early Season 3) is that her immorality is fine as long as it suits her. At first she has firm convictions not to aid Ted Beneke in tax fraud, but after her falling out with Walt, she turns a blind eye to it because she is now faced with the same desperation as Walt. She smokes while pregnant and her excuse is that she only smoked three. This to me almost makes a point that no matter how big the "sin", it is still a "sin" and that although she tries to take the high road, she is just as flawed as everyone else. To me that makes her a hypocrite. Whats worse is that she sleeps with Ted to spite Walt. That to me is malevolent, rather than doing wrong out of perceived necessity. So in short, it is all about intent. Skylar's faults and failures are not out of good intentions but bad. She preaches the letter, but refuses to understand the heart of the matter.

pubjoe

[31]Sep 6, 2012

Walt has now killed, raped and done pretty much every evil act imaginable but Skylar smoked three cigarettes and turned a blind eye to Ted's books etc etc. It's funny how Breaking Bad has successfully dragged its viewers through Walt's journey so well that they can't see outside his point of view themselves ("he's just doing it in defense of his family" Ha! brilliant - this is why I love this show). Skylar may have been a little hypocritical, but that's what makes her realistic. She's still infinitely more level-headed than Walt, who even manipulated her family against her on top of everything else. Kinda hard to take the "she's one-dimensional" evaluation seriously when it only comes from males who think she's an irrational bitch. ...Hmmm, just one dimension you say?

Edited on 09/06/2012 10:03pm

Jake9154764

[32]Sep 17, 2012
    I think you are right, if Walter got some respect from her, wheather its right or not,, he would not have to go further and further into trying to prove his selfworth. Nobody really respects Walt especially Skyler, and that eats him up, The stroryline would still work with Skyler watching his back.

SethDannyD

[33]Jul 5, 2013
    She led to the eventual demise of ted XD when he slid across the floor etc, thought that was so funny, not sure why. Just me?

CjTl2005

[34]Aug 20, 2013
    • level: 11

Someone pointed this out to me the other day -- Skyler is the conscience. She's the reminder that what Walt has been doing is wrong (until recently anyway). As the story progresses, her resistance is breaking down. She's seen the money coming in and I think that's changed her.

My attitude towards Skyler has changed recently. Rightly or wrongly, I tend to harbor some resentment toward the nagging, prying significant other, and with Skyler, it's to the Nth degree (Marie, too). But that annoyance is also intentional. I've realized that it's vital to the story for Walt to have that pushback. It makes the unraveling much more believable -- the pushback goes away, you think everything's turning out OK, Walt's going to win, and BAM, his carelessness in the smallest detail leads to his undoing.

With Breaking Bad, everything you perceive has a purpose.

nimd4

[35]Aug 31, 2013
    • level: 6

CjTl2005 wrote:
    With Breaking Bad, everything you perceive has a purpose.

They try to make it epic (have tried, been), but meh. Not sure I would've liked it more as a *regular* show (read: w/o teh bullchit), probably yes; not sure. ;s

Edited on 08/31/2013 5:24pm

CjTl2005

[36]Sep 21, 2013
    • level: 11

As I'm re-watching the show -- I'm thinking Skylar is out of line in season 2 when she just starts disappearing with no explanation. It's totally a "tell me what it is you want to hear and I'll say it" scenario. And I understand it's because she smells BS -- Walt's a horrible liar. I think at some point, though, I would have just left. I wouldn't want to put up with her BS either. In hindsight, it would have made a lot of things much simpler for Walter if he would have picked up and left. It would be an easier sell. Queen b*** became unresponsive so I left. Who cares right? Or maybe I admit to the affair. Heck I have a lot of time by myself so I could make it happen... Just so I don't have to say "yeah, a nutty murderous drug dealer with a hair trigger temper kidnapped me so I could cook meth for him in Mexico and I hitched a ride back after escaping".