Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

Was this show originally filmed for another network? Nudity, swearing, etc.

adietler

[1]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 2
    It seems weird that they fuzz out nudity in the first episode and that every episode there are a couple of swear words they eliminate. Did they try and sell this show to HBO or Showtime or something? Usually they just won't say bad words or they'll be clever about hiding nudity if the network doesn't allow it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ExodusPenguin

[2]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 15

I noticed this as well. It's weird that despite being on at 10:00 and on AMC that they would still bleep out the swearing. If it was being replayed from another channel I could understand, but it's first-run, new episodes that have it. Very strange.

You're probably right when you say that it was originally supposed to be an HBO/Showtime show. Oh well, it's still great regardless.

Synetech

[3]Mar 9, 2008
    • level: 22
    The weirdest part is that AMC is like TBS in that they always sanitize things; they ever show nudity or profanity. Yet, as mentioned Breaking Bad clearly has both, and is advertised as an "AMC Original Program". They make it sound like was made specifically made for the network, which makes is confusing. Why would they make something that they cannot air the way they made it? Why wouldn't they just make it to their standards in the first place? As guessed, it is probably because it wasn't made for AMC afterall. Which raises the question what network was dumb enough to pass on this show?

bobthebaker

[4]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 6

Synetech wrote:
    The weirdest part is that AMC is like TBS in that they always sanitize things; they ever show nudity or profanity. Yet, as mentioned Breaking Bad clearly has both, and is advertised as an "AMC Original Program". They make it sound like was made specifically made for the network, which makes is confusing. Why would they make something that they cannot air the way they made it? Why wouldn't they just make it to their standards in the first place? As guessed, it is probably because it wasn't made for AMC afterall. Which raises the question what network was dumb enough to pass on this show?

HBO probably thought it couldn't compete with Weeds and Showtime didn't want it to share the user base of weeds I imagine.

cochiseOOTP

[5]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 3
    That is not at all why stuff is bleeped and censored out. When BB gets released on DVD, all that stuff will be shown and heard and the show will be seen as it was meant to be. The creators probably didn't want to sacrifice the quality of the show by not having those elements, so they kept them in. I doubt anything as complex as HBO passing on it or something ever happened. There are a lot of shows that have nudity or f-bombs that uncensor themselves for DVDs.

Xannie

[6]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 6
    Curious as I am I started looking for clues about this and a link on this site directed me to this article http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html?sls_id=27422&ref_type=101&ref_id=74713&tag=updates;title;0 and surely enough it states :

"Pilot script, which previously was set up at FX, concerns a desperate man who discovers he is terminally ill and tracks what he's willing to do to ensure his family's survival."

I don't know too much about networks in America but FX airs "Dirt" so I guess they don't edit out nudity and cursewords.

haggardskaterat

[7]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 5
    IFC aired the first 2 episodes uncensored.

juggalo_fr

[8]Mar 10, 2008
    • level: 5

Well I do not know if this show was intended to air on another network or not, but it is a brillant show. Maybe the best show with Dexter on TV ras of now. I am amazed that it was not picked up by HBO or Showtime (even if weeds is kind of in the same category, it's not really the same storyline and not as dramatic as Breaking Bad).

But my post is not really about the network on which it's displayed, since I do not really know the american networks ... and do not care which network air a show or not.

If I understand what you are saying some of the networks are airing shows with full frontal nudity and swearing and some other don't. What's the point ? Clearly, even if the network airing such shows are paying ones, kids will want to watch those shows and they will succeed one way or the other (TiVo, friends, internet ...). I can understand a little bit of puratinism, but let's get real: USA produce and release some of the most violent, sex oriented, swearing "contest" tv shows and movies, so unless there is something rotten in the kingdom of Denmark (and I guess there is), I cannot understand why TV has to be so prude and not display anything, and act offended when Janet Jackson nippple airs live when a movie such as Superbad can be released. I am not offended by cuss words but let's get real, the F word is used in this movie more than any other word...

Truman_Burbank

[9]Mar 12, 2008
    • level: 12
    Xannie wrote:
    I don't know too much about networks in America but FX airs "Dirt" so I guess they don't edit out nudity and cursewords.

I have never heard the F word nor its variations on any FX show, so even if Breaking Bad was originally set up there, I'm pretty sure they would've censored it as well.

sean2evo

[11]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 8
    Haha, juggalo. It might not make sense, but simply put its because the organization - The FCC - in charge of monitoring and regulating what goes live on free to view network air are ripe with hypocrisy and have ridiculous standards & rules for what can & can't be shown in a society so drowning in shocking materials that its quite ridiculous.

Question for those who have seen the full season already - Should I watch it as it aired - or wait till February 24 when the uncensored dvd comes out. Does the censoring make a huge impact on the enjoyability of the show? Let me know.

sean2evo

[12]Feb 1, 2009
    Anyone got a reply for me on this?

Wafflepusher

[13]Feb 6, 2009
    i barely noticed the editing the show itself is so wonderfully written and the casting is awesome

tribalchic

[14]Mar 31, 2009
    • level: 17
    juggalo_fr wrote:

If I understand what you are saying some of the networks are airing shows with full frontal nudity and swearing and some other don't. What's the point ? Clearly, even if the network airing such shows are paying ones, kids will want to watch those shows and they will succeed one way or the other (TiVo, friends, internet ...). I can understand a little bit of puratinism, but let's get real: USA produce and release some of the most violent, sex oriented, swearing "contest" tv shows and movies, so unless there is something rotten in the kingdom of Denmark (and I guess there is), I cannot understand why TV has to be so prude and not display anything, and act offended when Janet Jackson nippple airs live when a movie such as Superbad can be released. I am not offended by cuss words but let's get real, the F word is used in this movie more than any other word...

Just for clarification, network tv here in the US cannot air frontal Nudity nor many 4-letter profanities and if they do they get in a lot of trouble via FCC, thats why the whole "Janet-nipple" ordeal was such mass hysteria since it couldn't be censored in time which is a big NO NO in American broadcasting.

I'm guessing American tv shows are broadcast to you the same way British tv is brought to us, via selected cable channels of whoever buys the rights to the programming meaning all the shows are kinda mixed together by the time you see them.

US programming kind of falls into these catagories below!

Network television-(this includes NBC, CBS,FOX,ABC) heavily moderated non offensive content with hardly any nudity and very light swearing.

basic cable- (this includes TBS,TNT,USA) pretty much the same guidelines as above, though they are a little more lax about mishaps.

standard plus cable- (FX,SCI-FI,COMEDY CENTRAL,BRAVO,A&E) can take things a little further (Breaking bad) they can show a little more skin and violence with the occasional s*** bomb thrown around (another no no of network television) they can also air unedited programs if they choose to after 12am.

Premium cable- (HBO,SHOWTIME,MAX,STARZ) these are the ones you speak of, they can air anything they want any way they wish too including full-frontal nudity, profanity out the ying yang, and violence that can make even the biggest action buffs cringe.

DylanOldfathe

[15]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 1

I have also noticed this. When i watched season 1-4 on Netflix the swearing was left in, however the nudity was not. Now when i watched season 5 on ProjectFreeTV which if you don't know what that is people record the show, upload it to websites and PFTV acts like Google sends out "Spiders" and puts a flash player in your browser show the other websites video. Anyways when i watched it on there which would be the same as watching on TV it did bleep out swear words. I don't think that there was ever intended to be any nudity in the program however, I do believe that it was made for an HBO, Showtime, or Stars channel.

missbeliever

[16]Dec 3, 2012
    • level: 1
    Did you watch the same show I did on Netflix? Season 3 Episode 5- so much nudity! Kind of caught me off guard since there hadn't really been up to then!