Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

What does the eye of the Teddy bear represent?

RatherBeGamblin

[1]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4

Or what do you think? Its been in many episodes now so i can't help it wondering what it means.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

guytwo

[2]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 7
    This show is full of symbolism and I love it. I think the teddybear eye represents Walt's lost innocence and thus his damage to family and society. His innocence has been destroyed/damaged/blown apart just like the teddybear. And society.

Dedpol145

[3]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 3

guytwo wrote:
    This show is full of symbolism and I love it. I think the teddybear eye represents Walt's lost innocence and thus his damage to family and society. His innocence has been destroyed/damaged/blown apart just like the teddybear. And society.

I think that's the reason, I could never figure it quite out either. I also agree with the symbolism of the show, it's fantastic.

RatherBeGamblin

[4]Apr 14, 2010
    • level: 4
    guytwo wrote:
    I want to hug you.

tuckgraph

[5]Apr 15, 2010
    • level: 19

I always thought it represented his conscience, always watching him. He never seems to take the blame for anything, but knows deep down he's built this house of cards. I guess it's open to interpretation.

DavidHolland0

[6]Apr 19, 2010
    • level: 1

Agreed, the symbolism in this show is really well-done. In my opinion, the "teddy-bear eye", which came from part of the wreckage of the plane that Walt was (indirectly) responsible for crashing, is symbolic of the lives lost in the wreck that are still "watching" Walt, and judging him, even if from his own psyche. Somewhere inside, underneath all his rationalizations and self-deception, Walter knows that he's part of a chain of events that led to the plane crash, and that eyes is like the "tell-tale heart" of Edgar Alan Poe's story... watching and judging from beyond the grave. The fact that it's from a (now deceased) child's teddy-bear makes it all the more poignant.

Tidal-Spiral

[7]Sep 14, 2011
    • level: 1

I agree that it represents Walt's own conscience but in a more symbolic sense is actually the eye of judgement. It represents the entirety of his "breaking bad" and shows that even if nobody else knows the full truth he is still responsible for everything. The episode "Fly" was so great because it was like this was finally catching up with him but he pushed it back down and is clearly about to do something destructive in Season 4.

There is a lot of amazing foreshadowing that is done in the show, often pretty obvious to the plot but sometimes it's a little detail that shocks you later. One thing that still bothers me happened back in the first season; in episode four "Cancer Man" it starts with Hank's investigation into a new kingpin and after the title credits we see Walt staring at a bbqcooking meat. If you listen closely besides the high pitched whine of the burning chicken there is some other worldly deep echoes. It basically sounds like Hell and it made me wonder if they were planning on havinga fire incident as one of the major events of the show.

Since it hasn't been done yet (unless it was foreshadowing the plane disaster) still wonder if it will happen. Then again so early in the show it could have been anything; guilt over Crazy 8, the cancer affecting his thoughts, etc. That's another funny thing, he is staring at the grill there with hellish sound effects, they name an episode "Grill" about Tuco and laterTuco's actual grill is a plot device, and after the plane crash he tries to burn the money in the grill. A lot of grill activityon this show, they need to have a grill based fire accident! lol