Breaking Bad Forums

AMC (ended 2013)

When is this?

tjaman

[1]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 32
    I'm basically looking for any pointers or indicators from anyone who can say exactly when this show is meant to be taking place.

On the one hand, law enforcement's pattern of approach, the general look and the clothing and characterizations seem to put this show in the mid-'80s. I thought we got a little glance at his I.D. during the ambulance ride in the initial airing without commercial breaks that I think said it was in the '80s. The veggie bacon that tastes like bandages seems to bear that out a little, too -- that would've been new and terrible right around then.

But occasionally there are a few things that seem to insist it's contemporary. There seem to be cellphones, for instance. And that camcorder seems very small. And the music seems contemporary. Also, when they're in bed together (again, this was part of the initial airing), Skylar seems to be on a laptop and she seems to be tracking a sale on eBay, which surely wasn't around in the mid-80s.

I've wandered around in the AMC site for clues but I'm not getting any. Anyone have any insight? Much obliged, and thanks in advance.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tjaman

[2]Jan 21, 2008
    Oh yeah, and the "Miami Vice" reference. Could someone that kid's age even make that reference if this were a contemporaneous production?

Edited on 01/21/2008 9:17pm

tjaman

[3]Jan 21, 2008
    That and the $20s. Are they new? I couldn't tell for sure.

tjaman

[4]Jan 22, 2008
    Sorry for talking to myself in here ... I really was hoping for some help. Anyway, the "Iron Chef" reference together with the eBay sales seems to clinch it as being current.

Which means that they're talking about current meth sales. Which I guess might make for an interesting insight into meth use and culture.

Honestly, as a North Dakotan I'm apparently in production central for the stuff and I've never to my knowledge encountered a meth head.

So ... I'm interested in seeing how this is going to play out.

YourmomNH

[5]Jan 25, 2008
    • level: 5

The show is set in the present, Walt is driving a Pontiac Aztec which was only produced between 2001 and 2005 according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

Yourmom

tjaman

[6]Jan 26, 2008
    Oh, good call.

JohnnyDrama8

[7]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    Yeah I was thinking current as well because of the New 20's it just seems older because in the southwest the style is more old fashioned. Plus Pink's brother has a new computer with flat screen moniter.

Boratbizotch

[8]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 7
    They have cell phones......proof enough.

CuteJaime7727

[9]Jul 13, 2012
    • level: 2

YourmomNH wrote:

The show is set in the present, Walt is driving a Pontiac Aztec which was only produced between 2001 and 2005 according to wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Aztek

Yourmom

Well not only that...but "Ken", the annoying "Rich Asshole" guy is driving a fairly outdated BMW...when Walt blows it, Ken exclaims, "Do you know how much I paid for that?!" like the car was brand new or something.

Only problem? That is a 1997 or 1998 BMW...so even if in the early 2000's, for a "Rich Asshole" to say how much he paid for a 1997 BMW 3 series? Cmon...it is a bit of a stretch as to exactly WHICH YEAR this should be! Especially since the Aztec (earliest year 2001) seems AT LEAST 5 or 6 years old (spare tire)...like it is supposed to be worn down. I just don't quite get it...

KEN WINS!