Breaking Bad

Full Measure

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Jun 13, 2010 on AMC

• At least season three got a great final episode.

"Half Measures" ended on an outstanding cliffhanger and what does the succeeding episode do? It starts with a whole different setting, sixteen years before the current plot. Of course, this doesn't last for the whole 47 minutes but only for the pre-credits, however, it's still a really great way to start your season finale.

What happens in this scene is that Walt and Skyler see their future property for the very first time, even though the first shots led me to believe that this may be a season-two-revoking flash-forward to a time when the White family has moved out, or not entirely unlikely, has died. Additionally, the dialog between the couple perfectly displays how Walt hasn't achieved anything he wanted in his life until he started cooking meth which is part of the reason why he now is unable to stop doing it. But as the plot soon goes back to the present, we are back in the perilous situation "Half Measures" established as Walt meets up with Mike, Gus, and omnipresent Victor. These five minutes include the return of Heisenberg and a goosebumps-evoking atmosphere; last but not least, Bryan Cranston and Giancarlo Esposito excel themselves yet again in a momentous debate.

I can't mention everything about this episode that I liked, but some other things I just have to remark on are, for starters, David Costabile's return as Gale Boetticher, one of the series' best characters, hands down. As we get a glimpse of his abode for the first time, the ability of the set designers comes to shine and so do Costabile's acting qualities once he has to sing along to Spanish nursery rhymes (or whatever that was). Then, of course, there's Jesse's episode debut about 20 minutes in. As the situation gets fiercer and fiercer, Breaking Bad's two protagonists come to discuss what has to be done and what later makes for the most dramatic final seconds imaginable. Aaron Paul absolutely outshines his senior counterpart and gives an unbelievably good performance that is probably the reason for the winning of his first Emmy award.

Over and above, there'd be many other things to go into depth about, but if you've just watched "Full Measure" yourself, you'll have already experienced the greatness of this season finale. Even if the whole season doesn't get remarkably better just through a fantastic ending note, it sure does a perfect job at making you excited about season four.

• Intense Finale!

Literally just finished the season 3 finale and am still reeling under its intensity. Aaron Paul brought his A Game this season and was tremendous, just like the rest of the actors. There were a couple of boring episodes in the season, but its all worth it.
  • After a very measured season, the final two episodes really let everything loose. Death and implied death can certainly raise the stakes appropriately. Spoilers within...

It was very telling that the only gripe to come out of the season 3 finale was the angle used on the very last shot. Did Jesse aim the gun at Gale? To be honest, I had absolutely no doubt that Gale is dead. We'll see how season 4 starts out, but it would appear that Walter and Jesse have survived... for now.

The downside about this episode? I'm now fairly certain that the only plausible ending for this TV show will be the death of most every major character. The stakes are now so incredibly high for everyone involved that the worst is bound to happen. I know some people are unable to watch the show as a result of the mounting tension, but it's so incredibly, artfully constructed that you have to keep watching.
  • perfect

With Jesse in hiding, Walt needs to cook with Gail. Gus reveals a plan to kill Walt, so Gail can be the leader and have his own assistant. Walt bargains; he wants to kill Gail before he is killed. Walt's life is in danger and the only one who can save him is Jesse. Will he rise to the occasion?

Grand finale, and it really makes you just want to see what is in store for Walt and Jesse. I can't wait to see what happens. Did Jesse really kill Gail, or was it a fake ending where we THINK he did, and it turns out he did not? I guess I just have to find out. I wish I knew! A+ finale, one of the best episodes of the series, I think anyway.
  • Walt breaks bad.

As I mentioned before, I'm serious about rating episodes of television. 10's only go to episodes that reach the closest to perfection. That being said, I've only given 10's to three different episodes of three different shows, but I have to add this to the list. The episode before the finale set everything here up, and while I expected the season to go in one direction after the first few episodes, I never would've expected it to go here. Walt faces the consequences of murdering the two men who killed Combo while Jesse is forced to go on the run to avoid being blamed and found by Gus.

First, before I say anything else, I have to say something that I rarely mention in my reviews, even though it's something that should come first and foremost: the cinematography of this show is superb, probably the best on television right now and better than a majority of Hollywood films. There's something about the way Gilligan and his directors move the cameras around and place shots that makes it better than anything I've seen in awhile. That opening scene where Walt, Gus and Mike meet up was incredible and gave me a wild west feeling, the kind of shot that really tells you how powerful these two men are without actually saying it.

From here on out, we get a slow build towards a haunting and powerful ending, an example of perfect storytelling. Jesse is hiding, having relapsed and finding his life in complete shambles. Everything is falling down around Walt: Gus seems ready to get rid of Walt, seeing him as a liability, and with his wife involved in the meth business now and Saul disagreeing with just about everything that Walt is saying and doing nowadays, Walt has dug himself into a pretty big hole. As a result, does it really come to a surprise the way the season ends?

We had a couple of scenes with characters who aren't necessarily the biggest or most important. For instance, Mike, a character who has remained to the side for much of the season and only popping up when physical violence or threats need to be delivered, gets his own little scene where he kills some men who are breaking into some of Gus' associates warehouse. It's sort of an example of dark humor, and if we didn't know by now how good Mike is at his job, we know for sure. I'm not sure it really did anything for the plot, but it was certainly an eyeopener and hopefully an indication of how much we'll be seeing Mike next season. And then we have Gus, who has gone from Walt's boss to a cool, calm and collected druglord who is able to get what he wants no matter what. I've mentioned before that Gus represents Walt's only possible hindrance, a man who is just as intelligent if not smarter than Walt. Seeing him meet up with Gale, that irritating guy who is clearly smart but is a bit of a loser, something Walt was never able to deal with, really informs us of how cold Gus is; he's willing to kill off Walt and pass over everything to Gale.

Boy, we see over time just how good Walt is though. Gus may be smart, but I have a feeling Walt will always be one step ahead. First of all, the relationship between Walt and Jesse has grown over time; they have one of the most love/hate relationships I've ever seen on television, but it's clear that Jesse is like a son to Walt and Walt will do whatever he can to protect him. However, Walt uses the deaths of the killers of Combo to his advantage: he uses Jesse in order to get a step up on Gus. The season ends with Walt about to be killed, Mike with the gun nearly to his head when Walt attempts to bargain for his life. As it turns out, Walt has set up a plan: seeing as Walt and Gale are the only two men who know about how to cook the blue meth, Walt plans on killing Gale in order to be the only one who knows. Jesse is the man who will pull the trigger. The season began with Walt suffering from guilt, knowing that he was responsible for the plane crash last season, and ending with him inviting himself into a new world of guilt: the death of Gale. Some people have argued that the final scene makes it hard to figure out what exactly happened.. did Jesse shoot Gale or not? It's obvious he did, so people should understand that.

Each season of Breaking Bad gets better and better, and part of me is inclined to think that this finale and season is a peak for the show.. is there anywhere higher to go for the show? Or is this it? Either way, I found this season to be one of the best I've seen in awhile. Let Season 4 come!
  • I can't think of a better way to wrap-up a season.

I can't think of a better way to wrap-up a season. They did everything possible to keep my interest for the next season. After Walt runs down two of Pollo's men in the previous episode, they manage to pull out all the stops in this episode to really end the season in the best way possible. Walt faces the danger of being replaced full-time by Gail. They no longer see a need for him and this time Jesse comes to his aid. I won't go into much more detail because it may spoil the ending for you, but I will say I have no idea what could have happened at the end of the episode. Having watched every episode of Breaking Bad to date, I can fully say this is hands-down the best episode yet. If you haven't gotten into this show by now, you have missed out on the best entertainment of all time.
  • Full Measure

7.9
    Breaking Bad somehow always manages to bore me in the beginning and then have me on the edge of my seat at the end. The last 20 minutes or so of the season finale was absolutely incredible from Walt absolutely going pure drug dealer with deciding to kill Gail, to barely escaping death himself yet again, to the cliffhanger of what Jesse shot at. I'm predicting it will be like Season 2 of Damages where Jesse will shoot at something else at the apartment to fool them into thinking he shot Gail, and let him escape, but who knows, predicting the outcome of this show has never been a sinecure. But the show still fails to deliver in the opening half. What was the point of that flashback? And what was that shootout in the building? Still, I think this was a sufficient season finale, and I have a feeling Breaking Bad's fourth season will be excellent.

I definitely saw some unnecessary scenes here, but regardless this was one of the best episodes of Breaking Bad. It kept me at the edge of me seat like the last half the way through. The aftermath of the last episode, Jesse is on the run. Gus is thinking of replacing Walt with Gail, by replacing, he means kill.

Walt decides to kill Gail before Gus & his men kill him. Wow, we also got some brilliant acting here from Bryan Cranston. He never disappoints when it comes to this show. I didn't like the looks of things in the beginning. Gail replacing Jesse again? Jesse & Walt not cooking together anymore? But this episode just tied up perfectly.

Walt being on the verge of being killed, and Jesse going to kill Gail instead, great scene. It really shows how much these two actually care about what happens to the other. I definitely felt we could have had some closure with the other characters like Skylar, Marie, or Hank instead of some of the unnecessary scenes like the shootout or that flashback in the beginning. All I know is that I can't wait for the season four premiere, and this has been Breaking Bad's best finale yet. Amazing finale to a good enough season.
  • Pushed over the edge and into the deepest depths of what men can sink to...

Wow. Before I even dive into this incredible season finale, I have to say that as much as I want to see Bryan Cranston three-peat his emmy win, this year it's a toss-up between him and Aaron Paul. And the more that I think about it, his story stands out much more vividly in my recollection of the unstoppable tidal wave we call Season 3. Walt's destiny was (more or less) where I figured it would go episode to episode with a few exceptions. Most notably would be the end of "Half-Measures." Definitely didn't see that one coming. But Jesse's story of having his soul corrupted by this man who, deep down, he considers family is some of the most compelling television I've ever watched. All season long, I was suspicious of his seemingly slow moving plot-line of apparently becoming Walt's competition in the meth-making business. Sure it was fascinating to watch him crumble after the death of Jane, but when he started to rebuild himself I didn't like the lack of integrity. I was afraid they were gonna force the scipts by making Jesse try to take over Walt's business. But then he met Andrea and found his redemption. He was determined to keep her brother, Tomas from becoming like him or Combo, or Jane, or even Walt for that matter. Him standing up to Gus in a way that Walt would never dream of is one of my favorite character driven moments of this season. When Tomas was gunned down, Jesse was pushed over the edge and robbed of his chance of redemption for his deeds. He decides on kamikaze-vengeance instead. But Walt's familial bond with Jesse forces him to act to save Jesse's life ("Run!")

Now Gus and Mike are gunning for Jesse and Walt. Jesse's in hiding, and Walt (in full-blown "Heisenberg" persona) confidently tells Gus that killing him is foolish as he needs him to cook. Gus agrees and gives Walt his new-former-partner, Gale (Mr. Coffee from episodes 6 and 8. Can't remember if he was in 7 or not) but secretly, Gus is using Gale to learn all about Walt's cooking method so he can replace him. Walt stalls as much as he possibly can in showing Gale his process, which is hard to get away with when Victor is watching his every move.

The soon-to-be-infamous "one-man-balloon-raid" is a flawlessly executed piece of awesome that only Vince Gilligan could have directed so fluidly and sets up what looks to be a future plot-line for next season - The Return Of The Cartel! Mike (AKA "The Cleaner") then goes to Ssul to threaten him for information on Jesse's current whereabouts, but not only does Saul grow a conscience and refuse to give up his client, he misdirects a man who just threatened to break his legs with a fake address somewhere in Virginia!

Walt and Saul ditch a tail and meet up with Jesse at the laser-tag building Walt was gonna buy. Walt comes to the conclusion that the only way to stay alive is to kill Gale so Gus has no replacement. Jesse becomes the true voice of reason and begs Walt to go to the DEA and turn himself in to witness protection, but Walt instead coerces Jesse to find Gale's home so that Wslt can kill him. Walt spends a quiet moment at home with his family, then heads out the door to kill kind-hearted Gale. But before he can even get to his car, Victor pulls up outside and tells Walt he needs to handle a "chemical spill". At the secret entrance to the lab, Walt pleads for his life with Mike and Victor, but only manages to buy himself time by arranging to set up Jesse. The call is a ruse tho, and Walt tells Jesse to kill Gale before they kill him. MIKE: "What was that?" (cocks gun)

WALT: "You might wanna hold off on that."

MIKE: "Oh yea? And why's that exactly?"

WALT: "Because I have a feeling your boss is gonna need me. 6353. Wantabo. Number 6."

(moment of stunned silence)

WALT: "Yea."

The following scene of Jesse's tragic obligation to his familial-bond for Walt was equal parts heart-breaking and jaw-dropping. Walt's monster has now consumed everyone he cares about. The wait for season 4 is gonna be torture.

Thoughts for what's to come in season 4:

Walt's family - In immediate danger it seems like to me. They may need walt, but what's to stop Gus from having Skylar and/or Walt Jr. executed for his contempt?

Gale - Call me crazy, but for some reason this guy gave me undercover DEA vibes everytime he was on screen. Could it turn out that the real reason Victor raced like his life depended on it to Gale's house be because Gale was a protected informant? Even if not, this show packs enough of an emotional wallop to keep me on the edge of my seat with just Jesse's reaction to committing murder. But how awesome would the Informant twist be? It would also be a neat and organic way to tie Hank back into the story of discovering who Walt really is.

Jesse - Speakng of my favorite junkie, Victor is speeding over to Gale's apartment right now. How the hell is Jesse gonna escape with his life? Even if he does, what's next? A life on the run?

March can't get here soon enough!
  • In an nutshell, this show is [the good kind of] unpredictable.

Last year, we were wondering what was happening at the pool with the eyeball and the plush toy. This year, we're left to wonder why a flashback to when they bought the house. We're not sure what it added to the story -- other than it was cool to see a much, much younger Walter thinking his life was going to go all sorts of places -- but I am sure this lays the foundation for things that will happen in season 4. As for the show, there are clever lines and moments. From the scene at the beginning where he meets his boss, to the scene at the laser tag, to the call at the end of the show where you think he's giving up Jess Pinkman and it's something totally unexpected and unpredictable. This is one of the most clever shows I've seen, well, ever. I do think we could've done without the Fly episode, but, meh, nothing is perfect. This episode made up for the Fly episode in spades.

I paid careful attention at the end, you might think that Jesse shifted his position and didn't shoot Gail, but what really happened is that the camera shifted ever so slightly to be in the line of fire of Pinkman's gun. I can't wait for Season 4 and somehow, the wait until next March will be a long one.
  • Tuco would be proud

After last week's unbeatable surprise ending this week started off simple and slow which is just plain awesome. Walt negotiates for his safety as well as Jesse's and to just continue his and Gus's arrangement. Gus, however, doesn't feel the same and rehires Gale to learn to cook by himself and then he will do away with Walt. Walt sees the only way out of this is that he kill Gale to get him and Jesse to be necessary to Gus's investment in the meth cooking again. We finally learned Gus's underlings name is Victor too. The only vague part that I didn't get was Mike the cleaner going to a random place and shooting up all these dudes and then he mentioned something about a cartel later, that part didn't make any sense to me. One point of irony I'd like to point out though is that Walt is only alive because Gus intervened and saved his life earlier in the season and then he orders to have him killed by Mike and Victor. Great, abrupt ending can't wait for Season Four to roll around even though it is a full year away almost. Guess you are the bad guy, Jesse.
  • "you need me"

not the best episode of its third season, but still brilliant and gripping. it didnt have everything i would have liked to see in the finale of the series arguably best season. after the incredible lead in episode they had for the finale after walt mows down gus' drug dealers i thought it was going to be action packed the whole through, not exactly but they kept us interested by some of the most suspensful scenes in the history of television. the beggining when you were second guessing the whole time whether or not gus and mike would kill walter in the middle of the desert or near the end when you knew there wasnt a chemical leak but it was going to be the excecution of walt. i would have liked hank to get closer to finding the truth about heisenberg. also why wasnt there more of skylar/walt relationship which has been a main storyline all season long. but still a really great ending for its third installment in the series and left us with the question did jesse kill gale, i for one think not. Now lets all sit back and watch this rubicon show that AMC has been slamming ads for down our throats for the last hour:)
  • Had me up until the ending.

When tuning in this evening for the finale my hopes were raised by the assumption this was going to be a two hour finale, well with my TV info stating a 2 hour show and all. We all know now that wasn't the case and with that revelation came my disappointment and loss of hope for this great series. This episode had me at the edge of my seat and the final scene with Jesse at the apartment was one of the most intense scenes I've seen on television in a while, but that doesn't negate the fact that this series should have be over after season 3. By removing the pointless fly episode, killing off Hank instead of copping out, and making this a 2 hour finale they could have set this season up for one of the greatest in history. Instead we're left hanging in the middle of an episode for lord knows how long which will only help reassure that next season will be either too far fetched or stretched out beyond retaining anyone's interest in order to fill the slate of a whole season. How much longer can we realistically go on with Gus after what happened, two episodes tops? Then what, milk Hank and the DEA for 11 episodes? Find another drug lord to move into town? Yawn. If AMC is smart they will have half a season, fill the episodes to the brim with plot advancing scenarios and finish with a bang. Too many good shows are watered down in hopes to milk them for as long as possible, only to lose most critics and viewership by the end of season 4. At which point they decide to go two more seasons, end it and only have half the original viewers even care to watch the last mediocre episode. Well, here's to the hopes of only season 3.5!
  • Good episode.

Oh well...the season is over. The finale was great, but not the best of the season. It felt a little rushed...yes! Rushed on BB that's weird I know. But I think they needed an extra episode...Gus tells Gale ( Gale? or whatever his name is ) that Walter is gonna die of cancer eventually and that he wants him to replace him. So we knew Gus was planning to kill Walt but we didn't have time to digest what we knew. It went too fast. Gust talk to Gale, we cared about Walter for a sec and bang...problem "solved"
    Without Fly ( I loved that episode btw )and Half Measure being episode 3x11, episode 2x12 focusing about how the hell Walt gets out of the problem with Gus, at least for a while, and ending with Gus talking to Gale we would have had ( hoping i'm using the verbs ok. I learned english watching tv, don't expect much ) a week to think about it and it wouldn't be so fast. But anyway...what's done is done.

Emmy for Aaron Paul please...that last scene was awesome. Altough I don't know if they are in the same ccategory, I think they do, but John Noble from Fringe deservs one too. If they are in the same category it's going to be a tough choice...they are awesome.

Gale signing was good too.

Jesus christ...i suck with names...I don't remember the name of the bold one...the PI. Anyway...that scene was good too...but I didn't quite get it. I'd have to re-watch the episode.

Good episode...little rushed. Great season.

I'm done trying to guess what will happen...the only thing for sure is: Walt's in deep sh¡t.

Greetings from Argentina.