Breaking Bad

Gliding Over All

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Sep 02, 2012 on AMC

• The jaw-dropping cliffhanger isn't the only great thing about this episode

The first part of Breaking Bad's final season ends on a phenomenal note a twist audiences have feared since the character of Walter White was introduced in 2008, but have stashed away in the subconscious after more than 50 episodes of the series. "Gliding Over All" sets up so many possibilities and a whole new direction for the final eight episodes of the series and makes predicting the end of this amazing story an impossible endeavour.

To rephrase one of Walt's lines in this episode, last things first: the ultimate scene in "Gliding Over All", that simple yet momentous and jaw-dropping epiphany for one of the characters, wouldn't be as great as it turns out to be if it weren't for the perfect lead-up to it. The intensity is lacking for most parts of this episode, but that turns out to be the perfect calm before the storm a storm that one could also describe as the best season-ending cliffhanger of the series. However, my 9.5 rating isn't the result of merely one remarkable scene, since there are loads of other things to praise in this episode. Firstly, there are Breaking Bad's best two minutes of non-stop violence in the most beautifully (not inappropriate to say, right?) shot murder montage. If such bloodshed isn't your cup of tea, there's still the drug cooking and contributing, getting stretched out to a three-minute chain of the whole process, set to contrasting music, looking purely amazing, and impressing with more match cuts you could ever expect to find in any other episode of any TV series.

Fans of subtlety will find a lot to admire about "Gliding Over All" too, with hints to episodes quite a while ago and the little disguised murder contemplations (Walt's ricin, Jesse's gun) being present in these 50 minutes, which may not be the series' most intense or thoroughly entertaining, but are artistically made and opening an outstanding new story for the series, making it the best episode of this half of the fifth season.
  • Chasing the Monster

This episode was an outstanding set up for the final 8. From the fantastic montage of Walt's empire being built to the final revelation this was Breaking Bad at its best.

There's certainly a lot to take in here. Walt's actions here are as shocking as ever. Not only do we see a Godfather style montage of his enemies being offed per his orders we also get a far more disturbing moment: the poison under the napkin meant for Lydia. Its a rather sudden change in tone though. Yes, we've seen Walt do horrible things but the Wrath of Heisenberg has generally been set against truly despicable characters ( Half Measures) in which Walt still came across as a protagonist. Now he is the full on villain.

Then there's Hank's revelation at the end. We've all been waiting for it since day one. Of all places to find out- Walt's bathroom while sitting on the john... Good to see that the series hasn't lost its sense of humor.

Unfortunately, while this was certainly one hell of a set up it is not without one major flaw: things were just way too rushed. The series could have REALLY benefited from an extra full season. Here we see Heisenberg's empire rise and come to an end in just one episode! The Blue Crystal montage was fun but it literally skipped over months and months of precious story. This is quite jarring because up until now the show has never skipped ahead this much, not even between seasons. Still, its a somewhat nit-picky complaint because the destination is still satisfying. There just could have been more in between.

Another, less glaring flaw is the reduced role of Jesse. The progress of the series had finally brought them together as partners, two unlikely friends, after all the regression from allies to enemies and it was great to see. But now Jesse is out and feels the need to arm himself when Mr. White shows up at his door. Yes, it reflects the changes that Walt has undergone and how it is too much for Jesse but somehow it still feels like another regression.

• Gliding Over All

It entertained me, it left me wanting more, but it just felt way too relaxed for a mid-season finale. This show thrives on action and suspense, and while the toilet revelation was that to an extent, it was simply way too calm for a Breaking Bad episode in my opinion.
  • Gliding Over All Indeed

This was a really great ending to the first half of the final season. I'd suspected for a while that it would end with Hank finally finding out, but it was still a really good moment. This whole episode is great. It starts soon after Walt has killed Mike from the previous episode. He still needs those names, and Lydia is the person to go. But, she's scared, and at the end of the scene, she has good reason to be; Walt had planned to use the ricin on her. It's pretty interesting how far this character has fallen. I mean he would've flat out killed Lydia had she not done something helpful. This is interesting development. One of my favorite scenes was the death montage; all these characters are dying at the hands of Walt. Some were hard to watch for me, like the guy getting burned, others were pretty fun actually. They really have transformed Walt, and this season shows it really well. Skyler, meanwhile, is still scared, and so she shows Walt just how much money he has made; well more than he needs. So, he says to her later on he's When she doesn't say anything he says it again, to show he's serious. Presumably a day or so later the whole White family is outside the White house having a good time. All is good until Hank needs to use the restroom. Looking for some reading, he discovers a book by Walt Whitman. He flips through it, and finds an inscription from Gale Boetthier?(I know I butchered the spelling) And it has the initials Walter. White. Hank now knows. What is his next move? Probably finish up in the bathroom. Then? Well, we'll find out in August. I can't wait to see what goes down in these final 8. I've been privileged to have been watching this show for most of its time on the air, and I can't believe it's ending this year. All I know is, the final 8 episodes will be immensely entertaining, like they should be. And I can't wait.
  • The Voyage of the Soul

I've been reading about how the goal is to make Walt increasingly unsympathetic, and boy, has that been achieved. Remember how Tuco murdered his boy with his bare hands after one comment, how shaken and disturbed Walt was? Now Walt's planning murders left and right, the murder-for-hire man. He's humming and skipping and disturbingly indifferent with the murder of an innocent little boy, and anytime he tries to appeal to his family, he oozes fakeness.

I'm really sorry to see Mike go. I loved his character, he was awesome, wise, smug, cool, confident, and had some awesome quotes.

And darn it, I can't wait to see how they're gonna pick up with Hank figuring out (I believe he's figured it out and doesn't have a doubt in his mind) about Walt. I wonder if he's going to confront him, or if he's going to secretly investigate him for proof.