Breaking Bad

No Mas

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Mar 21, 2010 on AMC

• It's called "No Mas", but it will make you want "Mas"

"No Mas", Spanish for "not anymore", is the start of Breaking Bad's third season and surprises with one of the weirdest pre-credits sequences to ever be on television. The two tortoise-mimicking Hispanic fellows we get introduced to there also don't get much clearer in the two other scenes they have in this episode, however, it's still very interesting to watch them.

With the characters we know already, there's of course the troubled situation between Skyler and Walt after she commanded he move out at the end of season two as the last resort. That decision issued in a lot of confusion with the whole White family, but sadly didn't make for any good scenes. RJ Mitte overacted his part a bit and Dean Norris and Betsy Brandt had a sub-par script to work with. As Skyler and Walt then sat down and had a talk, it managed to awake my interest, if only in terms of plot and acting.

Fortunately, "No Mas" also included appearances of Jesse and Gus, which were both remarkably good. Aaron Paul just gets better and better in his role and seeing him in rehab was one of the show's deepest moments yet. Giancarlo Esposito on the other hand, may have even been more impressing as he succeeded in outshining Bryan Cranston in the scene they shared together. Never has calmness felt as intense as in his mostly wordless and unblinking acting.

That's about it for this episode one that works perfectly well as an introduction for a new season, but easily could've been more thrilling. As he wrote a screenplay himself again after quite a while, Vince Gilligan seems to not have had the best of days, but that's excusable as long as the story is as great as it currently is.
  • The cold open was made of long wide shots, slow pace, few dialogues. This is not TV, it's good Cinema!

The first scene reminded me of Sergio Leone's movies. The desert, the silences, an anonymous guy crawling... Who was that and why people were passing by without helping? Than we realize that he was crawling along with a bunch of other people in what seems to be some kind of religious ritual to the Santa Muerte. The 3rd season bad guys are introduced to the audience by a single close shot of their boots... and what a creepy bad guys! Evil twins in the best Tarantino's way!
    Finally Walter realized that he must stop, but now it's too late and I think this season will be more nerve wrecking than the previous two, since it will be just impossible for him to just quit cooking as if it was really a "kitchen" business.
    Everything is this episode was built with very strong images. I'm really pleased that television has reached such a grade of distinction.
  • Awesome premiere, and a couple of new creepy villains that Walt will undoubtedly see before the end of the season. (some definite spoilers, so beware..)

Breaking Bad is off television for so long that I sometimes forget how great it is. As one of AMC's only shows right now (Mad Men being the other, although Mad Men is the show that unfortunately gets all the fame), it has come to represent how AMC seems to breed superior television shows. I could care less about anything going on in Mad Men, but Walt's life is endlessly entertaining. The season premiere tonight focused on the aftermath of the plane crash from Season 2, and seems to be setting Walt up to face some incredibly scary adverseries.

Every commercial tonight focused on driving into people's brains how Bryan Cranston is a two time consecutive Emmy winner, and with good reason too. He was incredible in the premiere, appearing paranoid, nervous, twitchy and sort of depressed. He knows he's guilty of murdering all those people on the plane, and that Jesse is ultimately taking the blame on his own shoulders. Watching Walt cheat and connive his way through life is fun to watch, as awful as it sounds to say it. He's just one of television's great characters.

As for the supporting cast, they were, as usual, nothing to write home about, although Anna Gunn did step up her game as Skyler. Now that Walt has finally admitted to her that he's a meth distributor, she's being given some great material to work with. I'm curious to see how this will affect their relationship. Obviously, it'll be destroyed, but I wonder how long it'll be before Hank is off looking for Walt, on the scent of his trail.

Finally, these twins who are seemingly mute are bringing a whole new level of creepiness to the show. Where Tuco was insane, off-the-wall and had a proclivity to snort coke off the tip of his knife, these two twins are eerie, silent and capable of killing as many as twenty people in just under a minute. Oh yeah, and they don't so much as flinch at an explosion not even twelve feet behind them. They're tough, and based on tonight's premiere, they're out to see Walt as dead as the skeleton in the first scene.

Tonight's episode was slow, but it was filled with those great scenes between characters that Vince Gilligan has perfected; it also had a lot of surreal and spooky images, as well as a few shots of adreneline that reminds us that Breaking Bad brings intensity that Mad Men doesn't come close to rivaling and characters that continue to grow and become more and more interesting with each week. Next week, we get to see Saul, more of these creepy brothers, and a possible man-hunt set up by Hank into the appearence of said creepy brothers. Overall, this was just a great hour of TV
  • Slow but good.

This episode was good, with good scenes and good acting. Skyler confronting Walt, two misterious man with one goal, and I don't care what Mr. Cranston says, there was comedy in this episode. Spoilers ahead.

The first scene was a huge WTF for me. I didn't know what the hell was going on and it was kinda creppy also.

Walter feels guilty about the plain crash, he spend time researching airplane crashes, which lead to an awesome talk with the school students.

Jesse is feeling guilty about his girlfriend...I honestly can remember her name...Jane? Well, I don't know. And he also knows that "Jane"'s father was the one who made the two plane crash, so he's feeling guilty about that too. He's out of rehab, and he's clean.

Skyler confronts Walt. She go to Walt's new house and told him "I know what you are, you are a drug dealer"...that was pretty awesome. And more awesome was Walt telling her it wasn't cocain, it was meth.
    Pretty much what everybody was waiting for but I'm not sure about the timing.

Pretty good start. Slow but good.

Can't wait to next week.

Greetings from Argentina.
  • Mexican Gothic? Cormac McCarthy meet David Lynch...

First off I will admit that I have not always been "blown away" or "amazed" by everything that Breaking Bad has done. In fact sometimes I have been disappointed, and wanted to to stop watching.

I have continued to watch Breaking Bad for the show that I knew that it could be, and finally in No Mas it has fulfilled the promise that the first season hinted at.

The opening scene was like something left out of No Country for Old Men, but double the creepy killer, and inflect some serious oddity, what with people crawling across the desert. Not only do the writers not explain why these people are crawling, it is clear that as unusual as it may seem for the viewer it is the everyday for those that live in that small town. I'm calling this Mexican Gothic because I have no other title to give it, it's Cormac McCarthy's darkness, and sense of doom, mixed with the eerie oddity of the Mexican hit men, and their dialog-less journey, that might have walked out of a David Lynch screenplay. Conveying a sense of doom is what Breaking Bad has done so well when it is peaking, whether it be the death of Jesse's girl (pun intended), or the inevitable sense that cancer would get Walt. There was in the beginning of the series a sense of malaise glossed over with happy suburbanite contentment, which the show has finally done away with in this episode. Make no mistake the viewers, I believe, are in for a story that would vie with anything McCarthy or the Cohen Brothers might have produced.

Walt is "not a criminal" is a self delusion, clearly he is and will be, he took a step down that path and will inevitably be bound to complete that journey, he will have to be redeemed. For the first time in this show Jesse is the only character with a grip on reality of any sort. The following dialog is telling: Jesse
    "It's all about accepting who you really are. Walt Sr. "And who are you?" Jesse "I'm the bad guy."

What this means for the future is like everything else about this season, unclear. Hopefully he will embrace his role as the bad guy, not in the ghetto-fabulous, fifty-cent, pop culture way but in the dark bad-guy without a soul type of way. The rest of the characters are out of touch and this is mostly due to their failure to face each of their realities in the face; Walter Jr. refuses to believe, and accept that his family is done, Walter Sr. refuses to accept that his wife is leaving him, it's simply as he states a rough patch, and Skyler thinks she can simply walk away after 16 years of marriage. Skyler wants it to be as "quick and painless as this type of thing can be". With a twist we come to find that the most ominous, potentially evil men don't wear cowboy boots with skulls, but instead are middle aged men who wear glasses, men that teach high-school or work at a fast food joint. That when we come to face who we really are we may not like the reality of what we find, some of us embrace it, others refuse to accept it. The future for these characters is a best bleak, at worst doomed, and is that not what has always attracted viewers to this show.
  • Season Premiere

Wow, the first four minutes involved an army of people crawling Army style (I thought I had on HBO and was watching The Pacific for a second) and the show had me hooked again.

Breaking Bad is such a tremendous program as even a fairly uneventful season premiere like this one was (let's be honest this was more about setting things up for the future than featuring a shocking event) still leaves you drooling in front of your TV watching more.

Although the third season just premiered, I already think back to all the classic moments in just 20 episodes prior to this (where Walt puts the plate together and finds one piece is missing, knowing he must kill the drug dealer before he kills him, or where Walt went into a grocery store baring all) and I know that we are bound for more classics this year.

This show is not for everybody; it would fail tremendously if it were on FOX or something, but the ratings actually hit an all-time high last night showing people can choose wisely when handling the remote.

Breaking Bad's dark vibe is simply unmatched on TV right now. I won't call it my favorite show, but I predict it will at least get a nomination for Outstanding Drama Series this year at the Emmys or the 30 Rockies as they are going to be renamed.
  • Jumping borders and to conclusions

After all my long months of waiting Breaking Bad has finally returned and is just as good as ever. Dealing with Walt a week or so after the plane crash that he indirectly caused and how Skyler and him are now at odds. He decides to give up cooking for good because he isn't a "criminal" which he explains to Gus when offered a lucrative amount of money for a new job. Jesse also begins to get better and is now off drugs but comes to a realization about himself as "the bad guy" concerning Jane's death. Also two cartel soldiers manage to jump the border and are headed to ABQ to confront the mysterious Heisenberg. Very strong opening to what I hope will be an excellent season and while a little slow and more character driven that's never been a slow point for this show in any way.
  • Season 3 Premiere

A pretty great premiere of Breaking Bad, it was slow burning in a way, slow paced, but it was still good and we've got some great scenes here. From the puzzling cold opening to the brilliant writing, this was a great premiere.

It's good to see Walt & Jesse together again, their easily my favorite duo on television, and Jesse getting clean and the scenes in rehab were quite entertaining, and eventful in some ways. Another great scene was in which Skyler finds out that Walt is a drug dealer.

Wow, that was an intense scene. Walt ends his meth business with the guy from Pollo's, to save his family. Hopefully he gets back in the business soon, considering it's always the best that way. Walt Jr. even impressed me here, with him blaming and yelling at Skyler.

Great premiere overall, and it did well on covering what happened after the plane crash, also another puzzling cold opening leaves me intrigued for the rest of the season.
Mas