Breaking Bad

Problem Dog

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 28, 2011 on AMC

• Best episode of the season so far. Also, the first episode this season not to focus too much on family drama. Co-incidence?

Last week I said I wanted to see more plot progression, which everyone took to mean that I thought the show is lacking action or moving too slowly. I re-itterate that my complaints weren't about action, they were entirely about plot progression. Walt's split personality was just about the only thing progressing (main story wise), which was completely different to the previous seasons. Breaking Bad might run at its own pacing, but in past seasons it always advanced the main story almost every week.

And now I'm proud to say that's back. This episode saw the most overarching plot progression so far this year, and it was fantastic. We got to see Walt finally getting his crap together to think up a plan to get rid of Gus, we see some of the most amazing Jesse scenes ever (and some insane acting from him), and then we are given some serious Hank progression -- not just personal progression, but case progression, as he draws closer and closer to finding Walt.

To top it all off, the entire episode was shot, acted, and scripted to near-perfection. Beautiful to behold.

Now we start to see it all taking shape, and the final episode starts to become clear. We're about to see an all out war between the Cartel and Gus, with Jesse stuck in the middle, and Walt being the thing that the Cartel no doubt wants to get their hands on most of all. Hank will surely follow the trail smack into the warzone, right at the last minute, as Jesse and Walt fight for their lives. I predict Gus being arrested and Walt narrowly escaping justice, ready to re-build and become the boss next season.