Breaking Bad

Shotgun

Aired Sunday 9:00 PM Aug 14, 2011 on AMC

• Aspiring Writers Take Notes; THIS is How You Tell A Story

I wonder is anyone getting the same sense that I am getting at this moment: this season is building and building after each episode. Walt's ego is once again becoming the cause of his own troubles and Jesse and Hank have found a new sense of purpose as drug lord Gus is making moves of his own behind the scenes that has the audience realizing that he just might be a step ahead of Walt at this moment.

I've been a little bothered by comments of many of the fans of this show recently that the show's pacing during this season has been slow.(And I'm not saying everyone doesn't have a right to opinion but I do as well and here is mine). I am going to have to respectfully disagree with that opinion for two reasons: 1) After each episode, meticulous details and plot points are beginning to come together while the characters' situations and mindsets are being beautifully drawn out. 2) This cry of "slow pacing" has already been tried and tested the past two seasons (and if the fans of this show who cry "slow pacing" are still watching, I'd say the last two seasons were a success to them.)

As I said in the title of my review, THIS is how you tell a story. You want explosions and deaths every week, go to another network. AMC is especially known for the characteristic of building story as the season goes on. Oh by the way, have you noticed that every year now AMC seems to be picking up more and more award nominations and viewers while keeping their shows uncancelled? (Save "Rubicon", may it rest in piece).

Many shows on TV try the angle of action and explosions as its main premise and many of them get cancelled because, hey guess what? People get tired of that once they realize that's all the show has going for it. AMC has allowed for shows that have not forgotten how to tell a true story that has a beginning, a middle, and an end. This kind of storytelling that contains strong characterization, writing, and camera work is what makes those explosive moments of action and thrill more memorable. This is because the writers are taking the time for you to learn to like, respect, or very justifiably hate each of the characters on the show..and oh the intricate details and plot will be enough to make the mouth water once the payoffs start coming.

I have a strong feeling about this: this season is just going to keep getting better and better, and the ending of this season is really going to be one to remember all because the writers and directors are telling a story the right way. Aspiring writers should take note as serialized TV is becoming more and more famous.