Breakout Kings

Pilot

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Mar 06, 2011 on A&E

7.8

Breakout Kings is an interesting new show from A&E. The network has not had much success with original dramas recently. The Beast and The Glades did not last long, although I know some people enjoyed them. They may have something here with this show though.

A few recognizable faces, and a familiar pacing with it being a show about cops and criminals and having that light-hearted tone. A little bit of Leverage here with there being a group of people with problems working together to best the worse bad guys. The premise is unique though, for a TV series at least, and worked tonight, although I question if it has the legs to last for 5-6 years.

The pilot was not great as a lot of the jokes really weren't funny, and the characters were not that distinct and original here, but there is definitely some potential. This could certainly fill the void for Leverage fans when that show is on its hiatuses.
  • A U.S. Marshall puts together a team of ex-cons to help capture fugitives who break out of prison.

While the show didn't remind me of Prison Break (I didn't expect it to), that is a good thing. It was fresh, new, but is still set in the PB universe. The pilot merely introduced our characters and pretty much laid out the format of how episodes will be played out. Just as we all expected, the ex-cons catch the bad guy and yada yada. But it was still very interesting to watch how they would defuse the situation. I could give a crap about "Philly", but I do feel for "Lloyd" and "Shea". I think we'll see their characters develop very quickly over the next few weeks, and we'll get a look into their true intentions. Overall, what a way to start off the show.