General Book discussion thread

sporkman5353

[1]Sep 29, 2007
    • level: 18

Okay this is a thread for book discussion about the series in general. Ill start off 1st

A new redwall novel, Eulalia is coming out october 4th along with a redwall graphic novel, im so excited!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Vipper_devil

[2]Sep 24, 2008
    • level: 15
    I can't wait until the end of this month, the newest book Doomwhyte is coming out.

OrangeOctopi

[3]Nov 17, 2008
    • level: 16
    Oh, I want to see the graphic novel! That'd be cool!

Vipper_devil

[4]Feb 10, 2009
    Has anyone heard about the new redwall novel coming out sometime in 2009. Apparently it is called the sable quean.

On his 2008 US tour, Brian Jacques has revealed the title of his 21st Redwall novel: The Sable Quean! Brian has explained that "quean" is an old English term for a "wicked lady"; indeed the technical definition of the word is an "impudent" or "disreputable" woman, and often times was used to described a prostitute, however that is obviously not what Brian means by the word. "Sable" is a term used by Brian to describe dark-furred characters, I think generally he uses the term to describe badgers and otters, but I don't think that means we can infer the literal "sable quean" to be either of those species. I do think it is fair to insinuate the main antagonist will be female, and that "quean" is also a play of words on "queen". Brian also revealed that David Elliot will be illustrating, which means he will now hold the record of amount of Redwall books illustrated: 8! Congratulations David! Stay tuned as this story continues to develop.

Abhorsen_91

[5]Apr 16, 2009
    • level: 7

Hope it's good!

Though, I'm really annoyed in how the publisher's got rid of the UK editions

srebak

[6]Aug 21, 2009

I don't know for sure if i'm going to get a reply, but i'll give it try. I once suggested that my teacher and fellow students at High School watched the Redwall series on DVD, although most of the students and my teacher to some degree liked it, i had a problem with one student named Terrence. He kept making comments about the characters' accents, where they sound like they're from and other things that distract from the main plot. Like telling me that i should read the credits, when i pointed out that he wouldn't've even known what Redwall was if it weren't for me, he commented that i don't know that for sure. But he certainlydidn't seem like he was too familiar with the show. I told him that he worries too much about details, but he just said that details are important. True details can be important, but he keeps worrying about the smallest details that really don't matter. When we watched Season one, Terrence actually asked why Matthias didn't just tell Asmodeus why he needed Martin's sword, just because he sounded intelligent. I tried to explain that even though Asmodeus sounds intelligent, that doesn't mean he's going to give them the sword, nor is he willing to listen to anything a mouse has to say. As we reached the season finale, he didn't think Cluny died from the Joseph Bell. When we watched Season two, Terrence gave me more grief. He said that everyone has a right to get revenge, when i was talking about Slagar. As I recall, i tried to point out that the villainy lied in the way he tried to get revenge: stealing their children. He asked why he wanted revenge on Matthias, i said because Constance tossed Sela out to be killed by Cluny. Then he asked why he doesn't get revenge on Constance, forget how that argument ended. Later, when we saw the episode where Warbeak died, he asked how it happened, i wasn't sure how Warbeak got hurt, all i know is that she was wounded in battle. But when i gave my response, he said what he said when we watched season 1 "You really should do your research". Later, when we got to the introduction of Stryke Redkite, he once again commented on accents, like that really matters! When we got to the Second Season finale, he commented about how Slagar could've survived his fall, when he really didn't. And about how Ironbeak could've survived his fall, which he didn't! Later, as we reached the part where Matthias and co. returned, he asked about the number of the slaves shown and asked where the rest were. I didn't know nor did i even care, and once again he commented "You really need to do your research"! Season Three was especially frustrating, when we introduced Badrang on his ship, he said they were vikings. When we saw the way Clogg was eating before he met Ballaw, he said they had no table manners. I responded by saying "They're pirates, what did you expect?". Then things got really sour, after we were done watching Redwall for the day, i don't fully remember how it happened, but he actually said that i don't really have enough details about Redwall and until i do, i shouldn't call myself a "Redwall expert" (my teacher once said i was the resident Redwall expert, mainly because I've seen the series before, i've looked on a few of their websites and even read 2 of their books (don't completely remember what i read but did read them), where as everyone else hadn't heard of it). When i tried to talk to the teacher about it, her aids wouldn't let me talk to her. Later, when we were about to watch more of Season three, we talked about the heroes of the series. Terrence for some reason thought that Slagar could be a hero, it was made very clear that Slagar was a villain on all fronts, even by name "Slagar the Cruel". I have somewhat of an urge tocorrect people on something i think or know is wrong. So i pointed out that Slagar was a villain, but Terrence kept thinking of ways Slagar could be a hero (or something to that effect, it's been a while). Which is actually why i'm here, because i myself have thought about fanfiction of another show where I considered a character, who has also be defined as a villain, to be capable of being a hero. I even considered adding Ironbeak and Mangez as not only characters, but as heroes in the version i'm thinking of. Which, in a sense, makes he feel hypocritical. When started to watch more of Season three, Terrence commented on why "The Warden"didn't fly Martin, Rose, Grumm and Pallum to Boldred's mountain. I pointed out that it's because it's not in his jurestiction, but then we got to the part where the Gawtrybe are chasing Martin and co. up the mountain, he commented on how the Gawtrybe climbed up so fast. Naturely i pointed out that it's because They're Squirrels! But when i did, i also pointed out that because they're squirrels, they're born knowing how to climb. But Terrence responded by saying "They're not born knowing how to do anything". But if that were true, we wouldn't know how to eat or blink when we're born, somethings that living things do can't be taught but are just something you know how to do. When i got a chance to tell the teacher, she pretty much told me what i thought "They had to have been born with some basic instincts or they'd never survive in the world". The point is, for some reason, when was thinking about another show, this issue came to mind. I don't know if you can help me or if you'll even respond. But at least take the time to read this.

Vipper_devil

[7]Sep 4, 2009
    Hey Srebak, I just read your post and a few of them I could explain.
    I'll put them into category of season so it will be easier to read.

SEASON 1: -The reason Matthias didn't tell Asmodeus about the reason needing the sword was that Asmodeus was an adder (In the redwall series) They are classified as cold blooded killers. Lets remember Asmodeus killed Ragear, Mingo, Guosim, and almost killed Warbeask because she was captured by Cluny. There was also the matter of Matthias honoring his wager to Captain snow. If he defeated Asmodeus, the land of Mossflower would be free from Snake and owl attacks. The bet was that if Matthias killed the snake, Captain snow would give up eating mice and shrews, but if he failed to do so the owl would kill as many mice and shrews he wanted.

-Cluny was killed by the Joseph bell. If you let your class read the book, it will give more description of Cluny's fate. This is a description you could use:

The bell appeared to hang in space for a second, then it dropped like a massive stone. Cluny remained rivited to the spot, his eyes rivited to the spot, his eyes staring upwards. Before he had time to think it was too late...
    CLANG!
    The joseph bell tolled its last, huge knell. The collosel weight of metal smashed Cluny the scourge flat upon the stone of the bell tower.
    From beneath prodded a single bloodied claw, and a smashed tail.

SEASON 2:

-Although everyone has the right to seek revenge. The story of Mattimeo is supposed to tell us what Revenge can do to us. It can be a hideous monster that causes lots of pain.
    There is an act of villainy behind Slagar's actions. He kidnapped the children of Redwall and was planning on selling them to Malkaris as slaves. As for his motive for going after Matthias, and not Constance. Slagar knew that he didn't have the strength to take Redwall on in a war like Cluny had done previously. Matthias was a warrior... he knew this, Slagar's actions were to hurt Redwall, not any one creature who lived there, and to him there was no better way of getting his revenge than stealing the son of the hero whom they admired, and taking the rest of the children as well.

-As for Warbeak's death, she was injured in the battle against Stoneflek's river horde. It doesn't show it on the show except for a split second where she gets hit and falls. -Stryke Redkite's accent was pretty much the same as in the book in my personal opinion. It was enough to understand what she was saying, but it gave a certain uniquness to her character. If this guy is going on about accents, ask him if he knows where the language of the mole's came from? Answer: Brian made them from languages he had heard during his travels as a sailor, and truck driver. He came to a little bar, and there were these people inside who were talking in a language unfamilliar to him. He decided to take these languages and put them into his novels, mole's sparra, even the redkite (Which they mentioned, sounded like the mountain birds)

-Slagar did not survive the fall. When he fell into the well, he fell into the collapsing city of Malkaris (This was mentioned in the book) Even if he had survived, he would have been severely injured and had very little or no chance of pulling himself back up. He would have stayed down there until he either died of bloodloss, starved to death, or died of thirst.

-Also Ironbeak's fall. In the show, he was being chased by Strike Redkite who was a much larger bird than him. He turned back to look and see, and she pounced on his back. (With her wieght compared to his, there was a very good chance that his back was broken. Plus from the height, and being unable to stop himself from free falling to the ground. He would have died)

-There were hundreds of slaves in the city of Malkaris. The only answer I can give is that being an animator myself, it is a real pain in the hand to draw that many. SEASON 3:

-Badrang's ship was sort of depicted the wrong way. He had a pirate ship that was wrecked along the shores. Most of the slaves he had in his command were drowned when it collided with some rocks (I think that was how it was written in Martin the warrior).

-As for Clogg's eating habbits. Clogg had very little manners, or morals. He would slop food, and drink around everywhere. Usually this disgusted Badrang, but since he was caught between a rock and a hard place with Clogg wanting to take over his fortress, he said very little about it. It wasn't just pirates who ate this way. Alot of the slaves did as well during those days. Food was food, and you would have to eat before someone else came and took it from you.

-The warden didn't fly them to the mountains because it was out of his area. He rules the marshlands, and as a Gaw tribe squirrel mentioned. "He ONLY rules the marshlands, he never comes here."

-When it comes to the scene of them climbing the mountain, and are being chased by the Gaw tribe. Martin even stated before the chase began. That they are very big squirrels, very fleet of paw, and could easily catch them. Which is one of the reasons he asked that his party get a head start.

THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT OF HEROES AND VILLAINS IN THE SERIES:

-Most of the heroes in the series are the good kind of rodents. Hedgehogs, mice, moles. Brian often said that he liked the mice because a mouse isn't a big strong creature, it could represent every person or child who reads his books. A quote he said was "My views are not on violence but how to be a hero or a warrior. That is why I like the mice. After all when have you heard of a kid going into the forest and being eaten by a grizzley mouse haha."

-Alot of the villains are nasty evil creatures that U.K. Legends speak about. The weasels, rats, ferrets, foxes. You can also use sentences about them.
    "Coniving as a fox" = sneaky, untrustworthy, "You dirty rat" = somebody who has done something terribly wrong, or unforgivable.

FANFICTION:

As for your fanfiction. I think it would be a good idea. You should try.
    www.fanfiction.net and go to the redwall section. Best of luck, and hope I helped.

srebak

[8]Sep 26, 2010

As much as doubt anyone will reply, istill feel i should at least try.

I am a young man who is considering publishing my books. But due to monetary lackings, i can't afford to publish with those big companies. So I attempted to find one that may do it for free.

I found two possible candidates, but i was told that i'd best get my work copyrighted first and they had a point. But upon further thought, i had another issue to consider.

When i originally started writing what could be considered real books, i got ideas for them from certain things i saw on the Redwall television show and when i showed them to people i knew in High school, they all said they liked them, but i think that was only because they never heard of Redwall. At first that didn't seem too bad, but now this is starting to eat at.

As much as i feel i'll regret doing this, i'm going to copy and paste my first and last chapter of my said work and if you please, you'll read them and tell me how much or how little they compare to what i feel they are like. Once again, if you would be so kind.

SEA OF MYSTERY AND DISTANCE
    Chapter one
    Black tales of black water

My life is a cruel one, not different than that of Macbeth or of the king of Denmark but if my life was to be on another I would have laughed aloud I am Thaddeus pike a cabin boy on the black manta and all I get is scraps of fish and days old ale blaww and under the tyranny of my captain and master scarface ratlang named for his reputation as a bilgrat or sea rat, he is the scourge of the seven seas, he and his blasted troops would sail to any village, castle or kingdom and plunder it of all its food and money if you couldn't pay with money you pay with your life at his cold jagged blade

Now I'm sure your thinking how I got in such a situation Capt. Scar and his pirates invaded my home in wolf valley, he plundered my village, he burned down my house, and he ordered his horde to kill my parents and younger sister! He took me as a slave if I refuse his orders I would be reunited with my parents and sister thus I was forced into his servitude we are now on our way to Capt. Scar's seashore domain Hunters castle with his hundreds of slaves from whom he captured from far lands to run his land and when we get back they will toss me in that cold old pit for the reason that they out class me

even as we speak we reached the docks and they took me to the pit as I hear my friends ballena and walter's pain as they get struck by the guards whip while dogs barked at me on chains as the guards dropped me in the pit, especially first mate dark claw oh that dark claw he is the worst of all of Capt. Scar's men and more willing to kill but has just as black of heart I hope to escape to the land of magic a land swarming with milk and honey with my friends with me along with the other slaves whom I also plan to liberate, but to do that I have to run Capt. Scar out and destroy hunters castle I will kill capt. Scar, I will free my slaves and I will avenge my family I am the thadeus pike the soon to be free I am that is my time is soon to be free

Chapter twelve
    (The ending conflict)

And so the fight went on Capt. Scar and his pirates vs. me and my friends although many of the slaves had been injured but captain scar's men also fell back to get more weapons so we used this time to regroup and to get a plan of attack

"All right then men here's the plan the seagull & the trio will fly up to sky over hunter's castle and drop some stones then the squirrels will climb the tree and jump on top of them then we tell mighty to splash and wash some of the pirates down then we charge" I said "I don't know thaddeus will this plan work?" asked nora "it will work nora it will" I said so we put my plan to action, it worked and we got into hunter's castle so we fought the pirates in battle

I saw Capt. Scar got a spear and charged him with it he saw me and got out of the way and tried to run me through with his sword but I blocked it with my spear and we battled up the wall I pushed him in a bucket down to the ground he lived he then grab the seagull "surrender your army to me or your bird friend dies" said scar "all right all right I'll come down and give you my spear" I said "okay then come down and surrender to captain scarface ratlang the great" scar gloated as I cut the rope that held up the spare wood and stones that all fell on top of scar "poor brother and all the slaves are gone and all my men are gone oh well at least I can now depend on you old friend (squawk) old friend old friend" said salty and his parrot we were victorious and it turns out that leena knows where the land of magic is she led us to the land we had the milk and honey for the rest of our lives all of us has made it even the sea creatures joined us as a family we had a glorious adventure and I would never have asked for another
    THE END