Bridezillas

Sunday 9:00 PM on WE - Women's Entertainment Premiered Jun 01, 2004 In Season

Bridezillas Fan Reviews (14)

6.7
  • Quick, let's make a show that makes the abnormal look normal! What could be bad about that? Except that it's ridiculous?

Here's a newsflash: some people have problems setting up their weddings. This, then, is supposed to imply that they are awful people. I don't get it either.

There's a difference between this show and other reality shows, because this show gives you only a tiny part of reality and cranks it out of proportion, to make you think that's the whole thing. In other words, there's not a lot of reality in it. When all they show you are bad examples, sooner or later, you may start to think that all that's out there are bad people. This is called the fallacy of the small sample. By its very title, this show sets out to market a stereotype, and it's all the more worrisome that some people really do seem to get their social education from this sorry mess. Of course, there are plenty of people who are not like the ones on this show. However, you'll never see them on television. (And let's not even think about shows that deal with the young men as they prepare to get married. There can't be any groomzillas, whatever those would be like. We can't have a story that looks at both sides, are you crazy?) Why? Because people who aren't cardboard cutouts just require too much time and too much thinking to deal with them. We can't have that.

The show asks us, "Who among us has not met a Bridezilla?" I haven't. Then again, I don't think people are like fictional monsters just because planning a wedding is a pain in the neck. I guess I'm not shallow enough.