Brimstone

Repentance

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Nov 13, 1998 on FOX

• Stone investigates the apparent murders of homeless people, whos eyes are removed for whatever purpose only the killer knows. The homeless also have a legend about one who will come and protect them. Trouble is, this Angel of Mercy maybe one of the 113

What is good about this episode and remains one of my firm favourites is that not everyone sent to hell is bad.

Unfortunately the rule of life is, if you wronged, you go to hell.

In this episode Martin Benedict is a bad man, from what we can see, like his desire to cut out newspaper clippings of each murder and pin them to his wall, using a rather large knife.

The removal of the eyes of the killers victims, another reason to think that the killer is collecting trophies for his cabinet or where ever a killer would keep his eyes.

The behaviour of Martin Benedict makes us believe that yes we have the killer. He should be bought to justice, shoot him in the eyes and send him back where he belongs.

But wait. When Benedict has the opportunity to kill Stone he does not.

Again we are shown Benedict at the scene of one of the latest victims and they are stabbed to death with a rather large knife.

When witness to one of the murders; a homeless drunk, is the target for the killer. Stone sets out to stop Benedict, but his path is cut short when another homeless man is killed, but his eyes are left intact. Why was his eyes not taken? It turns out that the homeless man had cataracts.

We know that any good Stone does, really peaves off the devil to a large degree. We see it first when Stone gives money to a poor man begging for change. But in a twist it\'s the devil. He\'s not happy with Stone\'s act of kindness.

Then when Stone shows compasion for one of the escapees. He is left with the decision to either let the man go, or send him back to hell.

The ending for this episode for me, is one of beauty and of pain, on Stone\'s part for his reluctance to condemn a man to hell, and on Benedict\'s part for trying to do good but knowing in the end it will never be enough.