A Broadchurch Community
Monday 9:00 PM on ITV

NOW THIS IS HOW YOU DO AN ADAPTATION

... David Tennant is set to star in the American remake of his hit British TV series Broadchurch, which just wrapped up its first season on BBC America (but please don't tell me what happened because I'm four episodes behind!). The American version will be written by original series creator Chris Chibnall, which might be one of the reasons Tennant agreed to this at all. He'll play a character who's similar to the original's D.I. Alec Hardy, but with an American accent. I think we can all agree that more Tennant is never, ever a bad thing. [TV Guide]

BUSINESS TIME

... Uh-oh, better not tell Nick Fury about this: The ratings for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. dropped quite a bit in the show's second outing. The series clocked in at 8.4 million total viewers and a 3.1 demo rating, and while those numbers aren't terrible—they're actually the best ABC has seen in the Tuesday-at-8pm time slot in a couple of years—the massive drop in viewership is worrisome. Coulson really needs to kill the fish tank now. [Vulture]

... NCIS, however, was Tuesday's number-one show in viewers, which I know, I know, is totally shocking. Ziva David's last episode brought in 19.33 million viewers, and was second in both adults 25-54 (4.5 demo rating) and adults 18-49 (3.4). [CBS via press release]

... ABC is working on a limited series called A Slave in the White House, and it's based on a book called A Slave in the White House (gee, that's creative) by Elizabeth Dowling Taylor. It'll tell the story of  Paul Jennings, a Virginian who served as the President James Madison's personal valet. [Deadline]

... Kevin James is returning to TV with a new sitcom that will be developed under the 10/90 model. That means the series will shoot 10 episodes without a pilot and if it meets a ratings threshold, it'll get 90 more. It's the same approach Charlie Sheen used with Anger Management—you didn't think he got that many episodes because the show was any good, did you? [Vulture]

... Mythbusters' upcoming The Walking Dead-themed episode finally has an air date, and it's October 17. We're finally going to get to the bottom of whether axes or guns are more effective against the undead, and we'll finally find out just how those pesky zombies catch up to their live prey as if in death they suddenly all have the endurance of Steve Prefontaine and the speed of Usain Bolt. However, I'm still waiting for the answer to the astronauts versus caveman debate. [TV Line]

... ABC has renewed its Canada-made summer series Motive for a second season, in case you know what that is. [Deadline]

... CBS News dominated the 34th Annual News and Documentary Emmy Awards last night. 60 Minutes wiped the floor with its “Killing Bin Laden” and "Joy in the Congo" segments, which took home Outstanding Interview in a News Magazine and Outstanding Feature Story in a News Magazine, respectively. CBS This Morning took home the Emmy for Outstanding Investigative Journalism in a Regularly Scheduled Newscast for their segment “Exposing the Business of Congress.” For a full list of winners, click here. [CBS via press release]

... NBC's loss is Fox's gain. The John Mulaney pilot that NBC passed on earlier this year has been salvaged and given a series order (for possibly six episodes?) at Fox. The pilot is set in New York and follows an aspiring comedian played by Mulaney. Martin Short plays his boss. [EW]

... Sad news today, guys. Adam Scott is ending The Greatest Event In Television History after next February/March's fourth installment. The third installment airs next month on Adult Swim. [SplitSider]

... NBC has axed its summer series Camp after one season. If only that summer camp had been located in Chester's Mill. Maybe then the show would have lived to see Season 2. [THR]

... Public Service Announcement: Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman is now Beyond the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman, I assume, because we have gone through a wormhole. [Discovery via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... The casting for FX's Fargo is really starting to pick up. Last week Martin Freeman joined the project, and today Colin Hanks signed on as Duluth Police Deputy Gus Grimly. Grimly is a single dad who must choose between saving his own ass and upholding his duty as a policeman when he finds himself in a dangerous situation. I vote for looking out for number one (this is why I'm not a cop). [Deadline]

... October is the month that just keeps on giving on the Justified front. CSI: NY alum and Ghostfacer A.J. Buckley has been cast as yet another Crowe. He'll play Danny, the "romantic sociopath of the Crowe family," because every family needs one of those! He'll be joined by Michael Rapaport, Alicia Witt, and Edi Gathegi, whose castings were announced earlier this week. [TV Line]

... Bob Newhart is returning to The Big Bang Theory as Professor Proton, Sheldon’s favorite childhood hero (who Newhart just won an Emmy for playing). This time around, when Proton seeks out Leonard for help, Sheldon befriends everyone else's favorite childhood science hero: Bill Nye the Science Guy, who'll be playing himself. The episode will air November 7. [CBS via press release]

... Amber Tamblyn has been upped to a series regular on Two and a Half Men in a poor attempt to make the show anything other than sad and pathetic. I'm 95 percent sure that even the people who are still on the don't care about it. Isn't it time we just give the people what they want? [CBS via press release]

... Homeland's David Harewood has joined David Milch's new drama pilot The Money opposite Brendan Gleeson and Nathan Lane. He'll play Kurt Corbitt, "a grandiose, boisterous, irascible ideologue." (So many big words!) He's also the CEO of the parent company of Gleeson's character's holdings. [THR]

... From one of the best ABC Family shows to one of the worst. Bunheads' Bailey Buntain will guest-star on an upcoming episode of Baby Daddy as a character who's also named Bailey and a love interest for Ben. [TV Guide]

... Today in casting news that I actually thought already happened: Leslie Bibb has joined the cast of The Following for Season 2. She'll play Jana Murphy, a suburban housewife who eventually ends up in Joe Carroll's presence. Whether she's a victim or a follower is unclear. [TV Guide]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/22/2015

Season 2 : Episode 8

132 Comments
Comments (132)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I still like Two and a half Men. :( lol, am I the only one left?
Flag
The first season with Ashton was fun, until the Alan character had his breakdown. The there was this long stretch of dull and I was so hoping for this British girl; she was hillarious. Nevertheless, now that Amber Tamblyn is in, I just love it again. I just enjoy her acting, whichever role she acts.
Flag
After having seen the original British version of Broadchurch I was dreading the remake, let's face it, a good remake of a British show is the exception, not the rule.

But finding out the original creator & David Tennant are involved means I'll happily watch it, this news really made my day.

Then again, I also believe the more Tennant the better :)
Flag
Yay! David Tennant. I had no intention of watching, but I've just changed my mind.
Flag
David <3
Flag
The first week of a show is only a partial indicator as to how well a show will do. There were a lot of people who checked out SHIELD last week but didn't stick around. I don't have the numbers but I'm guessing many SHIELD fans are deciding to download the episodes instead. The big question will be how much the show drops next week. I think people are watching it, but they're just choosing to watch it later.
Flag
I had seen Broadchurch and I must say I think THE FALL is better. It rather see them remake THE FALL than Broadchurch. I saw on wiki that Broadchurch will have season 2 so now the the creator is doing an American version, will he be doing season 2 ?
Flag
Definitely The Fall, but only if David Tennant is the lead.
Flag
More Tennant = more viewers.
Flag
the only thing that will destroy Two and a half men , is if Jon Cryer got really greedy and asked the double what Christopher Ashton Kutcher take as a salary per episode , which means 1.4 million

with that , either CBS agree to his demand , or he get out with the rest of the original crew
Flag
DAVID TENNANT
Flag
Sheldon with Bill Nye the Science Guy. F and YEAH.
Flag
Yeah, that Leslie Bibb casting is a bit of a head scratcher.

Bill Nye!!!

Cavemen definitely win.
Flag
How does Kevin James keep getting work?? He is horrendous. I am getting worried about this new 10/90 trend. Seems like its going to fill the airwaves with alot of shite. And there is more than enough of that already.

Is 8.4 million still not a pretty awesome number? Its more than the number of people who live in my country. Double it, in fact. So, I would be pretty happy with that sort of viewership for my show. Guess it just shows that some people only tuned in because of the hype. Granted, the second episode wasnt all that great, but I still think the show as a whole has the potential to be incredible.

Colin Hanks will always be Alex in Roswell to me. He just doesnt seem old enough to be playing a father!

Justified is going to be incredible next season, I can't wait.
Flag
SHIELD's rating have actually been upped to 8.6 since then, but anyway...
I'm not that upset because it seems a lot of people tuned into this show just to check out what it was, because of the buzz, or expecting... something else - superheroes as main characters, not-a-procedural-type etc...
I was fearing that, no matter how good the show was, its rating would go way down because of that. If 8.6 people keep on tuning in, I say we might be okay. Plus, remember, Agents of SHIELD is also aired in the UK, in Latin America and in Australia within a few days of the American broadcast (and illegally downloaded by the rest of the world a LOT of times within a few hours of the American broadcast), so that's just the American ratings.
Flag
i'm sorry, but that sounds dumb. just watch the original broadchurch (i havent, but i still think its dumb to americanize it so soon..and im from the USA).
i wonder if they'll really americanize it and make it a full 20+ episode season.
i guess that could be a good or bad thing.
Flag
They might do the American sized season - they've ruined some remakes that way before
Flag
Too bad about Camp. One the best new ones of this summer. I will miss it.
Flag
Season 1 is supposed to start here this month (here being South Africa), but now that I know it didn't survive one season, I don't know if it's even worth checking out.
Flag
Good news for John Mulaney. I just hope he's also able to keep guest starring on Nick Kroll's show on ComCen. I need more installments of Too Much Tuna and the other bit they do whose name I can't recall at the moment.

Not too upset about Adam Scott's TGEITH coming to an end. The second "event" with Amy Poehler was nowhere near as good as the first one with John Hamm, and I expect the slide to continue. But hope springs eternal (or so I'm told), so we'll see how the third one goes.

First Charlie Sheen got a 10/90, then George Lopez got one, then someone else whom I've forgotten, and now Kevin James. Can you spot the trend? They keep giving the best deals to some of the weakest actors/comedians around. Next thing you know, Adam Sandler will be offered a 10/290 and I'll have to put in an official transfer request to another planet.

Wormhole doesn't need to change its name, it needs to drop its lame animation sequences and perpetual, almost obligatory references to Freeman's Mississippi childhood. Furthermore, each episode always has one interesting, thought-provoking, central question as its theme, then almost always fails to follow through with genuinely interesting explorations of said theme. Sure, there have been some good episodes, but I've found it disappointing and underwhelming overall. I certainly wanted to like it but I consistently found it to be one of [The] Science [Channel]'s more lackluster original productions.
More+
Flag
Colin Hanks is just a really crappy actor with a very powerful father.
Flag
Hanks was actually a better villain than the Swedish (?) actor who played Vogel's son in the last POS season of Dexter, and THAT is saying something, since Hanks was a craptastic villain. I keep hoping actors and tv shows can't sink any lower, then We Are Men gets greenlighted.

But yes, he is one crap actor. AND he had practice! He was a crap serial killer in an old crap serial killer movie on one of the crap overpriced pay channels on the crap FIOS. He just glowered and non-acted in that movie too.
Flag
Darn, I wish I could stomach We Are Men without vomiting a little in my mouth. That is ONE show I would LOVE to watch to hate! :O)
I bet the moronic squirrel killing duck dynasty crowd has it set up on their DVRs. The moronic squirrel killing duck dynasty crowd DO own DVRs, don't they?
Flag
Careful, shhh, the Duck Dynasty Devotees are quite loyal and vocal. I made the mistake of criticizing it once, and they are still after me..
Flag
Is he on We are Men too? Wow, another reason not to watch that show :|
Flag
Broadchurd - What an idea to repeat again something that is already in English. Penelope Cruz worked in both versions of Vanilla Sky (Abre los Ojos was the Spanish original one). At least, they were different language versions and directed by different people. Still, if you have seen one, it is sooo strange to see the other one. Specially if the second one is worse. Will I have to watch the new version, really?? Ugg.
Flag
Ah, but not English for morons. Like Laurie and other UK actors who fake American accents for idiot Americans, the morons in charge in Hollywood have to dumb down the shows (did you SEE Cracker? And I liked Pastorelli, who sadly felt the need to kill himself, even though he was surrounded by bigger dickheads than himself) so that the moronic duck dynasty and Kardashian crowd doesn't have to use whatever minute (that's my-nute, not min-it, you idiots) brain cells they have left to follow a complex, well crafted show.

Perhaps they'll have Hall providing the voice overs, enlightening the moronic viewers on what the protagonists are going to do next and then letting them know they did it, as the idiot Scott Buck did in the moronic Dexter.

No, anyone with a brain or even half a brain won't watch the dumbed down version of Broadchurch. Still and all, isn't it sad that THIS conversation gets a lot of posts, whilst the original Broadchurch gets shite.
Flag
I think the posts about the original version get less attention because so many of us have already seen it from the UK schedule. But comments about Broadchurch have come in many different post of people recommending things to each other (that's how I got to know about it myself). I'm not sure how much public is left to watch the new version, really. And if they are aiming to core Americans that don't watch foreign TV, shouldn't they just use an American actor? It is all so strange.
Flag
I had never come across Colin Hanks until he appeared in the worst season of Dexter so I am kind of lukewarm to his addition to Fargo... Maybe he'll redeem himself there but he was so unwatchable in Dexter
Flag
No, he won't. He'll glower and ham it up. He sucks.
Flag
Wow Bill Nye. First DWTS, and then a guest spot in TBBT. I'm honestly excited.

I'm kinda disappointed with Agents of SHIELD. Granted, the 1st episode is still in my DVR yet to be watched, I was hoping it was going to be mega hit show like NCIS, TBBT, and Modern Family. I can't believe its ratings dropped so bad. I guess its impossible for any science fiction/fantasy/superhero TV show to become a really big hit (as in NCIS/TBBT numbers) in local network television. (Sleepy Hollow is a hit but not a mega hit).
Flag
I once listened to Bill Nye do a radio show, and I have loathed him ever since. He is an obnoxious, self-important, arrogant man. Other people's viewpoints are not welcome in his paradigm. The rest of us are ignorant maggots barely capable of maintaining enough brain function to keep ourselves from just falling over and drooling until we die. I may have to boycott that episode.
Flag
I think people may have watched SHIELD expecting it to be something it's not (like having superheroes on it perhaps). IMO the second episode was better than the first though.
I think that NCIS is a hit because it's comfortable. The characters act the same from episode to episode and their cases are solved by the end which is why procedurals have such high ratings. It's like comfort food. You feel better after consuming it.
Flag
Actually, the final numbers on NCIS were 19.98 million and a 3.5 in the key demo; while SHIELD was 8.66 million and 3.3 in the key demo. That's down considerably from the SHIELD premiere's 12.12 million and 4.7 key demo ratings. In my opinion based on the second SHIELD episode it's going to keep losing ground next week, it simply isn't good enough and it's squandering its hype and potential with middling episodes.

I like Kevin James, but man does he overstay his welcome on sitcoms, a 10/90 is a really unwise idea.

John Mulaney is a very funny guy, excellent standup and he was also a writer and on-screen talent for SNL for a while. I think his comedy styling would work far better on Fox than on NBC where dreams go to get watered down into paste. However, Fox has a bad track record with nurturing sitcoms, but hopefully this pays off.

Those Greatest Event in Television History gags were funny once and the second one was painful in how lame it was, no more of those.

AJ Buckley is finally a casting move I can get behind for the Crowe family on Justified, he's got the look and a squirrely attitude.

I'm sorry, Bill Nye and Bob Newhart? Be still my heart!!!
More+
Flag
Agreed on TGEITH. Enjoyed the first one a lot -- mostly because I didn't know what the gag was then, but also for Hamm's solid comedic turn -- but I sat mostly stone-faced through the second one. Doing two more seems really unwise.

Speaking of [as], they're running a new installment of "Off the Air" all week.
Flag
in my opinion the show is fine, but maybe they have advertised it in the wrong way?
Flag
You mean SHIELD, right? How would you change that then? I feel like they've given it a tremendous push in marketing, they've pretty much nailed it, but the problem that I was complaining about for months - that the trailer didn't seem like it had much going on and subsequent trailers were just recuts of the same material, which suggested the show didn't have much to say - turned out to be exactly the case. Also, "the show is fine" doesn't really knock socks off, it's a middle-of-the-road show with the pedigree of a show that could be so much better with ease.
Flag
yes, I meant SHIELD, sorry :)
I was thinking that maybe it was a mistake to advertise it with MARVEL in big capitals all over the place. Expectations raise regarding the content and then there is a general disappointement. The superheros were not advertised directly, but that's what MARVEL means for people after all.

I don't know what to tell you, I wasn't expecting much myself, and I actually think that this is a fine show. But it is true that fine will not be enough to keep this one on air, because of the budget.
Flag
I see what you mean about the "Marvel" angle, but I think it's safe to say that branding has become Disney/Marvel's chief intention here.
Flag
For me I think that SHIELD is awesome expecially after the second episode. If I'm looking forward to the next episode each week then that's a win in my book.
Flag
Being from the opposite side of the pond, I still enjoy that eight million viewers is generally considered a failure or a bad thing. Most shows over here don't even get half of that and still thrive for years on the air and can still be considered massive hits.
Flag
Taking population size in to account, the 8 million people who watched in the US is the equivalent of 1.6 million watching in the UK (UK population is one fifth the size of the US), and considering it was broadcast on Channel 4 that would put it on a par with Celebrity 15 to 1 and lower than Alan Carr: Chatty Man and Posh Pawn (whatever the hell that is?). This isn't good for an expensive US import, but I don't think it will drop it's audience quite as much over here.
The pilot recorded 3.23 million viewers, which isn't spectacular but still very good, especially considering it was up against Eastenders and I honestly expect it will retain 2.5 million of those viewers, considering it still only really has Eastenders as competition, although The X Factor USA might disagree with me.
Flag
That's because your viewers are more discriminating. Over here, television viewers are morons.

Then again, you DID shove the whore Simon Cowell down our throats. You apologize for that, right?
Flag
US has about 5 times more potential viewers than UK so you're not comparing like for like
Flag
Because of how they're paid for. We also have that as well, just not on broadcast, only cable. Broadcast is a very expensive business here with a massive 300 million+ audience to reach and lots of expensive affiliates and licenses with which to reach them, all paid for entirely through giant national sponsor advertising.
Flag
Cavemen win! Of course they do! Cavemen will always win!
Flag
Tell that to the ABC sitcom based on them.
Flag
RE: AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. ratings dip

If they really wanted that show to be successful, they wouldn't have put it in the same time slot as NCIS. NCIS's ratings are always highest in that time slot and no new show is stealing their thunder. That's just sloppy scheduling by the network.
Flag
If they really wanted it to be successful, they should have given it more budget and made a better show with wiser casting choices and more compelling situations and characters and writing.
Flag
Even if they did that it wouldn't have mattered. That time slot is owned by NCIS. But you're right. They kinda half ***ed it.
Flag
NCIS is going to lose ground this season with the loss of a main character 11 years into its run, something will eat its lunch if it's good enough, but like you said, half-assing it isn't going to be that competition.
Flag
I agree with JT. Yes, the show has lost cast members before, but the show is 11 years old now. It's bound to start showing its age at some point. Also, Caitlin was only on for two years, Ziva's been on for eight. That's a big difference.
Flag
I honestly don't see that happening. Ziva was the second person to fill that role. Caitlin Todd was the first. Didn't they also lose a NCIS Director right before Vance came along? That show goes through changes and keeps on kickin. That time slot isn't the slot you put a new show in if you want it to survive.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
LOL They are doing a remake with the same actor and the same showrunner.
Flag
but that DID work for Wilfred ... right?
Flag
Whores, all. Money talks, UK actors and showrunners walk.

Whores.
Flag
What is your obsession with whores? Every comment you make is filled with the word - it's getting creepy
Flag
And in the same language (sort of). Yeah, pointless perhaps?
Flag
"A slave in the White House" is fine for a book title but it's rather crude for a TV show. What's with ABC and stupid show names? The B**tch in Apartment 13, Cougar Town, and How To Live With Your Parents (For The Rest Of Your Life) are just a few recent ones that come to mind.

Flag
Don't forget the brilliant wish-it-were-still-on (sarcasm) S*** My Dad Says with America's answer to Derek Jacobi, William the opportunistically clever Shatner.

ABC touts the idiotic Modern Family, I'm not surprised they're getting away with a title that just a few years ago Jesse Jackson would have burned down ABC to prevent. Speaking of which, where IS the turd Jesse and his sidekick Sharpton?
Flag
"Slave" is not a derogatory term for any specific ethnicity. It was a true thing that happened, the story of a slave who served in the White House, there's nothing wrong with that. It's only a raw nerve because we don't generally like to be reminded that even those in our highest offices owned people. But that's not a knock against black people, it's a knock against white people, and it's an EARNED knock.
Flag
The first slave owner in the US was black. You know that, right?
Flag
I'm not saying everyone in our country has white guilt, I'm saying those who have a problem with this show's title do. "A Slave in the White House" is not a dirty word, it's not a negative or a positive, it's merely a thing that happened. But some folks feel like that title is a slap in their faces, they're calling this title crude and stupid, someone here is saying it's offensive or at least should be seen as offensive to warrant reaction by black activists.
Flag
Sorry, don't buy the white guilt thing. I know there are people who feel it, but I think if you don't own slaves, you have nothing for which to feel guilty.
Flag
Actually, Anthony Johnson was a slave owner in Colonial America, not the United States. He himself was an indentured servant who earned his freedom which came with 50 acres, but when the English colonies started putting restrictions on land, the freed stopped getting land and could not live easily, so eventually it became easier to stop giving servants their earned freedom because they were not "good, pure white Christians".

And it has absolutely nothing to do with the 4th President of the United States having a slave born into servitude serve in the White House, only to eventually be freed and continue to serve the former first lady, Dolley Madison. Nor does it have anything to do with American white guilt over slavery - it's a thing that happened, but the title "A Slave in the White House" is recognized by some as crass because they don't like hearing it. They would rather treat it as a cuss word than recognize that it was a true thing. *Shrug*
Flag
Shit My Dad Says was CBS, not ABC.
Flag
Don't forget Good Christian Bitches, which rapidly got morphed into the less apoplexy-inducing GCB.

Flag
Being provactive gets attention.
Flag
What happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. in its second week was expected. The only worry of course is if it'll fall more in upcoming weeks. Then it's really in trouble.
Flag
I almost put it in my dead pool - do you think it is that kind of trouble? These shows with more visual effects and tech might need a higher minimum audience than regular shows, right?
Flag
I actually did put it in my dead pool, but I switched it to another show after I had submitted my selection, because everyone else seemed so confident it would make it. I basically folded under peer pressure.

I thought exactly as you said: During recent years there has been a few big budget shows - some of them better than others - that have been cancelled despite decent ratings. The numbers needed for them to survive are simply so high because of the big budgets, that "regular" ratings are not good enough. And the problem with network TV during recent years has of course been that it's very hard to achieve high ratings. Some shows, often inexplicably, manage to do this (I'm looking at you NCIS and TBBT), but they are in a tiny minority. AoS was a big risk, and I applaud the forces behind it for taking the leap, but we'll have to see if it makes it. Naturally, I hope it does. TV needs a show like this. But even if it gets a full season order, I'm sceptical that it'll become a show with longevity. If the ratings drop a little bit more from the current level, then it will be difficult to negotiate even a second season.

When I watched the second episode with its special effects and action scenes, which were of quite an impressive scale for today's TV, I was constantly thinking how much money had to go into them. The giant hole on the side of the plane that sucked out all the contents was a perfect metaphor for the show. It was like the plane was carrying the budget for AoS, and thanks to the hole, the money was being sucked away and sprayed all over the place.
More +
Flag
Very good metaphor, that hole in the plane :) I also hope the show stays.
Flag
Why does every show have to have an American remake?? Seriously, just leave it in all its British awesomeness . That being said, if David Tennant is in it then I'm watching...
Flag
Ummmmmmmmmm.............................because the American viewing audience has the IQ of Kim Kardashian, i.e., 0. Zero, nada, zilch, bupkus, nothing.

Wait, did you just say you were going to watch? See above, sweetheart. You are the American audience this show was made for.
Flag
Haha nice, too bad I'm not even American :)
Flag
Staff
Let's be nice to each other! This is a community where it's okay to share your opinions so let's try to welcome ones different than our own in a nice way! Thanks! -Jessica, TV.com
Flag
Thank you. Things had taken an ugly turn.
Flag
Well put Jessica :) And I agree with quasar9. While I'm not necessarily thrilled to see Broadchurch americanized, if it's from the same showrunner, and has David Tennant starring , I'm in.
Flag
A british actor agreeing to be in an american remake of a show in which he has already been.... Sad, extremely sad ...
Flag
Amen. Looks like you have a brain. Welcome to the Extreme American Minority.
Flag
I'm doing my part to help SHIELD! I watched it as it aired, checked into Getglue, and then added it on Trakt when I was done! Those of you who don't have Trakt should get it because it's really fun!
Flag
When final ratings came, SHIELD had a 3.3 rating and 8.66 million viewers.
Flag
Redoing Broadchurch, which was a decent, but ultimately not the greatest show, is fully idiotic. It's wrong on so many levels and is now another reason why I think TV, in general, is a train wreck. Honestly, why doesn't a network just buy the rights to air the British series? Would it not be cheaper? If a cable network can get Big Bang Theory from CBS, why not a network buy a show from the BBC or the studio or whomever owns the rights for rebroadcasting? And please, do not give me crap about Americans can't understand the British or something. Anyone who saw Broadchurch on the BBC America channel and did not "get it" is brain damaged. This also begs the question, with so many people having cable now, and I assume BBC America would be apart of their service, and it just aired, why go through the whole expense and effort to do it again? Because only Americanized versions matter to us or the networks?

Bob Newhart was just interviewed by Tavis Smiley (a really good PBS talk show host / interviewer) and newhart said he would do BBT, if it was, among other things, a recurring role. He also gave high praise to the cast basically bending over backwards to make him feel welcome.

I was watching Motive, but fell behind after three episodes and never caught up with it. It did star the commanding colonel of the Stargate Universe series.

I never heard of The Greatest Event in Television History, so I'm not saddened.

I liked Camp, but never got to finish the season. I was behind three episodes and suddenly On Demansd pulled it from their listings and Hulu, surprisingly, requires you to subscribe to their Plus service to see it. My not watching it NBC when it aired is probably one reason it got closed for the summer.
More+
Flag
Americans are morons and Tennant's thick Scottish accent would be too much work for the duck dynasty crowd, even thought the result was worth it. Even Elba, he of the excellent Luther, whored himself for The Wire and of course Laurie whored himself for House.

Money makes the world go 'round, the world go 'round, the world go 'round.

Anyone who saw Broadchurch on the BBC America channel and did not "get it" is brain damaged.

*sigh* The majority of the American viewing audience IS brain damaged, have you looked around at the American program lineup?

Because only Americanized versions matter to us or the networks?

See above. American viewing audience = knuckle dragging drooling troglodytes.

What is your opinion of the 'greatest' UK television show, Akyriel? I'm curious. There have been many, but of late, Broadchurch was up there.
Flag
Do you mean what do I think are the greatest UK shows? I have no real opinion. I watch a lot of stuff on PBS, so enjoy the Masterpiece stuff - Inspector Lewis and the like, but I am not a fanatic about anything I've seen and mostly have not seen much, to be honest. I have a list of shows on DVD I've wanted to watch from Britain, as well as our own US stuff, but I never seem to have the time to get them.

Broadchurch was pretty good, but I suspected who it was within the last two or three episodes. I think I may have been disappointed by the end, as I was right, but also because it seemed the show rushed to an end after all the build up. It was somewhat like, "Oh...that's it? It was (you know who)?" At least it was better than The Killing's first two seasons, which also dealt with a child's murder and the overly long investigation of it.
Flag
Brit shows that I have watched recently and liked (not in any particular order):

Broadchurch
Sherlock
Mayday
What Remains
Luther
The Fall

but I am also a fan of their Documentary series such as:

Horizon
The Tube
The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track
The Railway: First Great Western
Keeping Britain Alive: The NHS in a Day
et al
Flag
You know, I'm all for bashing a lot of US television, but, to be fair, a lot of shite comes from you guys as well. They're different sorts of reality programs and soaps, but they pretty much suck as much as our lot.

Some of us didn't have a problem with either Tennant's or Elba's accents, so I resent the generalization. My mother, who has a little difficulty, just puts on closed captioning and still enjoys the shows - including Broadchurch.

How does Elba's work in what most consider one of the best shows in this generation mean he's whored himself? (I'll concede major trolloping for Takers and the Ghost Rider sequel.) After the first couple seasons, Laurie was in it for the truckloads of money they delivered to his door to keep the series alive.

I'm not sure why you think an actor owes you anything but the best work he or she can do. Some are selective in the roles they choose, but many more work job to job and don't have the luxury to reject work. I mean, if someone offered you a promotion with a substantial raise wouldn't you take it in a heartbeat? How is it fair to hold actors to a higher standard than your own? Why would you deny them financial security for just a little bit of commercial work that's only a blip on their body of work?
More +
Flag
The Greatest Event in Television History episodes aired (well, are still airing, I suppose) during the [adult swim] portion of Cartoon Network's broadcast day. It was about doing shot-for-shot remakes of the opening credits of '80s detective shows. The first one (with John Hamm) recreated the opening from Simon and Simon, and the second one (with Amy Poehler) recreated the opening from Hart to Hart. Yep, they weren't recreating the shows themselves, just their opening title sequences. It was funnier than it may sound. Hamm's performance in the first one really made it pretty good, far less so with Amy in the second one.
Flag
I rarely watch Adult Swim during the week or Sunday except for Venture Bros. As I am an anime fan, I watch Saturdays. I never saw a promotion for it and what they have promoted, I could care less about. Your info makes it sound interesting to see sometime.
Flag
Heh, I'm the exact opposite as far as my [as] viewing goes. They're almost a staple of my late-night TV viewing during the week (or at least a dependable default if there's nothing better on anywhere else), yet I totally skip them on Anime Saturdays. To each his own. I know anime fans tend to be pretty rabid, so I'm glad they provide a fair amount of material for its devotees. You folks are pretty much snubbed by every other American network.

I will, however, frequently watch Cowboy Bebop if I remember it's on. Funny how that show has such appeal even to non-fans of anime such as myself. Superb music, too. I'm glad to own rips of nearly all of its many soundtrack CDs.

Flag
It depends on your provider whether BBCA is part of your package. The most basic level usually doesn't include it. Satellite typically has it on the second tier forward, and I've been out of cable for so long I have no idea with them. But with their history of screwing their customers, you can bet they are paying through the nose for it.
Flag
FIOS blows, but they have it. Then again, I have many other crap channels, so who knows what tier I am on anymore. The horror of it is, I had to watch Broadchurch On Demand, and fast forward through countless reruns of the same blackhead commercials. I got to know when the last twinkie was touting her last blackhead.

Remember when we all thought paying for cable television meant NO commercials? Now even the premium whores IFC and Sundance have commercials.

Holy crap, I just looked up the whores IFC and Sundance and they are owned by the MAJOR whore AMC, which is owned by the biggest whore in America Charles Dolan, who owns the Knicks.

Explains it all.
Flag
And doing for Broadchurch what was done for Low Winter Sun worked so well for that show...
Flag
. ABC has renewed its Canada-made summer series Motive for a second season, in case you know what that is.
I like this series, its good
Flag
I liked it as well ... that and Cracked (as well as Continuum and Lost Girl)
Flag
Cracked and Continuum. Some of these Canadian shows are greath.
Flag
I was hoping you'd catch the Tennant news. I'm all for more David Tennant, but I'm hoping they'll change their minds and have him play D.I. Hardy instead of a new character. But whatever, I'm sure Chris Chibnall will do a good job. And did Fargo really get Martin Freeman and not Morgan Freeman? That's a pretty big get.
Flag
Well there are plenty of David Tennant fans in America so I think they'll definitely watch! However I found Olivia Coleman to be the big star in Broadchurch (love David though don't get me wrong), so it'll be interesting to see if they can get someone who can match her who's American. Also I've never heard Tennant with an American accent so this should be cool! However I'm hoping it's not a 100% carbon copy and there will be a different killer and what not.
Flag
And you couldn't just watch the very excellent original why?

Sheesh.
Flag
I clearly did, since I said I found Olivia Coleman to be the big star....

Sheesh.
Flag
I agree, by the end of the series, Olivia was the big star and honestly I liked her character more than Hardy.
Flag
Shield will soon meet the same fate as No Ordinary Family.
Flag
But No Ordinary Family deserved to die (and actually survived much longer than I thought it would). Boy, that was laughably bad. SHIELD is nowhere close to being in NOF's league.
Flag
SHIELD should have had a 2 hour premier instead of the one. If they had coupled the two episodes, I think the ratings would have been better. The 2nd episode was a lot better and the guest star would have brought everyone back.
Flag
I'm a Tennant fan, but I don't really support this... remaking the same story is bad enough, now they're taking the original actor and giving him a fake accent and acting like it's no biggie. if they had kept him to original character and just it be a different storyline with something like Interpol had him come over to help then that'd be fine. sort of like how Torchwood: Miracle Day was a continuation of the actual series, but had a generally new cast.
Flag
Why DO good UK actors DO this? What a nightmare.
Flag
Oh yeah.................................the money. They whore themselves for the money. Never mind.
Flag
Right. They like having teeth that aren't hideous and homes that aren't ramshackle.
Flag
Don't blame me for the cheap jokes, Great Britain made 'em first.
Flag
Nice slam at the Brits. You're the perfect audience for the moronic remake.
Flag
Staff
I really hope that Tennant's American vocal work has improved since the Rex Is Not Your Lawyer pilot. Because. Yeah. It's rough.

Flag
Lol, I'm all of a sudden very uncomfortable with David Tennant as an American. Maybe they could write his character with a Scottish accent...which kinda defeats the purpose of americanizing it...
Flag
Staff
There's no point in Americanizing it anyway, so I like your thinking.
Flag
I think Archie Panjabi's attempt at an American accent on The Good Wife is far worse than this. I've heard her momentarily slip back into British as often as twice in the same sentence.
Flag
I've never had a bit of an issue with that, and usually that annoys me to no end (my sister and I were picking on Rebel Wilson last night for her American accent). Also, Kalinda's ethnicity helps allow it. Plus she's cute as a bug's ear (not that Tennant's not, I suppose).
Flag
Staff
I think there's a difference between slipping into an accent and then doing whatever Tennant is doing here, which I think is trying to force his natural cadences through his nose to form something that I think wants to make him sound like he's from Chicago.
Flag
Good lord that's awful. Just give the guy an English accent (I don't think Americans are ready for his actual Scottish accent on their TVs) and let his character be an immigrant, that's one of the worst American accents by a British person I've ever heard!
Flag
Staff
I can guarantee the majority of Americans would complain about his Scottish accent and claim it was difficult to understand (which I've never found it to be).
Flag
Exactly. Craig Ferguson's Scottish accent is as thick as we can take, and Tennant's Scottish brogue is a bit thicker.
Flag
Yeah, I thought of that, too.
Flag
Staff
Oh God, I forgot about that. Brutal.
Flag
Staff
It's my job, Kaitlin: To remind people of horrible things. I am the opposite of the bringer of joy.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members