Broadchurch

Monday 9:00 PM on ITV Premiered Mar 04, 2013 Between Seasons

TheOldBill

Broadchurch Fan Reviews (17)

• Really worth watching.

A rare case of the second season being even better than the impeccable first one. Love it.
  • Gracepoint was lost in translation

David Tennant is so much better speaking with a Scottish accent. He seemed whiney in Gracepoint trying to talk like an American.

• Very good! David Tennant & Olivia Colman are fantastaic

I'm a little sad and glad that i waited till now to watch broadchurch. Everyone was not kidding about this show and it's strong lead/supporting cast/characters. Every episode is unwasted, despite not having the most novel plot (someone get's murdered, must solve), because almost every actor on screen completely dissolves into their character. Oh, and I just found out there are two more seasons. Gah!
  • Really good

I watched season 1 in July 2014. I loved it. Yesterday I saw the last episode of season 2. This is such a great show! I loved every minute of it. David Tennant is amazing and Olivia Coleman is outstanding. Stay away from Gracepoint. The original is so much better!

I highly recoment this show!
  • Incredible start

Seen 2 episodes and already hooke. This show has everything. Will add more later
  • seconda stagione...

Ho appena visto la prima puntata della seconda stagione... ho ancora il cuore che mi batte ed il fiato corto... un vero colpo alla stomaco. Magnifico!
  • Another British drama to watch

I can't say too much how much I enjoyed this series. Unlike most murder dramas, this story isn't about autopsies and gunfights. It's about human nature. It's about the tragedy of the murder of a child. It's about the court of public opinion, the sinister nature of irresponsible journalism, the failures, frailties and character. All of them, from youngest to oldest, are wonderfully imperfect human beings, and with no character is this more obvious than our protagonist, DI Alec Hardy, masterfully played by David Tennant as the world-weary detective with secrets of his own and a shadowy past. He is so wonderfully written by Chibnall and executed by Tennant that we find ourselves won over by a character that on the surface is quite unlikable.

Reminds me of The Killing, which I also loved (too bad AMC canned it in favor of crap like HACF). Never realized Tennant was Scottish - I'm getting the hang of the accents (maybe my Scottish ancestry) but had to interpret for my wife a few times. For a definitive tutorial on Scottish accents watch the Jason Isaacs series Case Histories...

• A brilliant detective series.

I realize that many people disagree with me on that claim. After all, there is not even one shooting incident, no fights, high adrenaline car chases. The Brits construct their detective movies and serials differently, basing it on the traditional school of Agatha Christie and other great British writers. Much attention is given to development of characters, human interaction, drama. There are false leads and sudden twists. I have enjoyed many British detective movies, but this show really excels in it, so I can certainly say that it could not be better than that. I'm not sure, though, that it would be a good idea to make the second season after all main characters are actually off the scene. But perhaps the show creators have some surprises in their sleeves, so the future will tell. But as of now, all I can say to the show creators is - good job, lads! And I'm saying this as an American who nevertheless can appreciate your work.
  • Maybe a spoiler, but a question for those who have seen the entire series. Good show, btw.

xeddog, no the dog was not killed by the nutter with the crossbow, happily. Not sure if my 'conversation' is showing up.

Doesn't help the lab whose head was blown off in Luther. Do YOU know why Brits allow their dogs to be killed in the media? Why isn't there a UK equivalent of the AHA which here monitors animal cruelty on movie and television sets. Wankers here film in other countries, and are allowed to kill animals (I have NO idea why the knuckle dragging troglodytes are allowed to kill boars and alligators here in the the AHA is falling down on this one) with abandon. Why are dogs allowed to have their heads blown off in the UK?

Amazing show, though, don't you think?

***

More dead dogs? First the lab gets his head shot off in Luther (real dog, body from a shelter where he's been gassed I'm guessing) and now a dog gets killed with a crossbow in Broadchurch?

No posts for this show, either? Interesting.

Looks like I'll be skipping this episode. You guys in the UK - do you really kill the dogs for the show, get them from shelters where they've been gassed, or what?

***

I found the spoiler for the ending online, we're up to episode 6 on the craptasticchannel BBC America.

Since I know the ending, I can watch the show with a different viewpoint.

My question on the killer (again, maybe a spoiler):

Why no remorse? I found that enormously unbelievable.
  • Good show

I will have to say that this is one show that the killer was a complete surprise to me. With most US shows you can amost spot the killer the instant he is introduced, and if you can't it isn't really too much of a surprise. This was one of the best shows of this type I have seen in quite some time.

As for a second season, I sure can't see detectives Hardy and Miller sticking around in that town. It's hard to see how they could remain detectives at all, much less lead another investigation. But I'm guessing that DS Miller will find a job in a new small town, a case will get assigned to her, and she will have to call on DI Hardy (who may be a civilian for this one) for assistance.

One last comment. Did we ever really see that dog get skewered? I remember seeing the freaky looking bald guy get his cross-bow, and then a shot of the dog sitting in the back of the van, but I don't remember seeing the dog alive or dead after that.

• An Emotional Whodunit

The plot is not unfamiliar to the audiences out there: small, peaceful town shaken by the murder of a young boy. Outsider, grumpy detective teams up with sympathetic but tough local detective. A few red herrings here and there that manage to connect with the murder somehow, which was a nice touch. I liked the way the drama was conducted, how the murder affected the boy's family, neighbors and town folks in general. It is beautifully shot in a coastal town in England, where this huge cliff looms over the beach where the boy was found. The murderer reveal was somewhat surprising, but again, the effect on other people's lives was more significant than finding out who the perpetrator was. It is a short series, only eight episodes long, but really worth watching. There's been talk about a season 2 on the Internet, but honestly, it ended so nicely that I can't see how they are going to move from there.
  • Would be a great series but......

Is it just me or is anyone else having problems understanding the dialogue through the thick accents? Dennis Tennant is almost incomprehensible. Thanks to Wikipedia for telling me what really happened after each episode.
  • Very Entertaining

No spoiler here...

Just watched all episodes in 2 days, and it is riveting! It is one murder and it stirres up a whole city, in which everyone seems to have secrets and problems... The whole story is completing itself.

I can recommend watching but there is only one big flaw in my opinion

Spoiler Now

After Dannys death the whole family breaks down (understandable) but only few days later they are not crying anymore, even at the first meeting in the church.... I experienced the same in my life, it took us months to get into a normal pace again... it was even harder then shown here. Nevertheless, I will watch it all again in some time ;)

Edit: if the last episode doesnt make you cry, you are a badass ;)
  • broadchurch riviting

The writers of the series were excellent both in plot and delivery. I found the story line compelling with an excellent delivery at the end
  • Enjoyable

Good acting, good screenplay, and enjoyable whodunnit. Not perfect, but perfectly entertaining. Great job Ms. Colman and Mr. Tenant!
  • The Killing

I found broadchurch to be the UK version of The Killing. I wanted to watch it because of david tenant, overall i found the show to be moderate yet enjoyable.