A Brooklyn Nine-Nine Community
Tuesday 9:30 PM on FOX

There are a lot of new shows coming out this fall season, and you can't clone yourself to check out all of them (or can you?). That's what we're here for, to be your eyes and ears wherever you need us. Like, right in Andy Samberg's face. We'll be providing pointers on just about every new show the networks throw at you this fall, to make sure you won't miss a thing in the flurry. Up next: Fox's police precinct comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

Alright, what is this Brooklyn Nine-Nine about?

It's a cop show! But it's a comedy cop show. Which means goof-offs with badges. The show centers on one of those hotshot types who doesn't play by the rules and one of those by-the-books captains who doesn't take any crap, but it's really an ensemble comedy with a lot of talent. 

Who's in it, and who created it?

Brooklyn Nine-Nine achieved one of the biggest comedy of the year by cuffing Andy Samberg and locking him up for his first gig after hamming it up on Saturday Night Live and putting his wiener in boxes. Samberg plays the lead as a rebellious police stud who doesn't like to keep his clothes on. But the show developed a real sense of legitimacy when it added Andre Braugher (Last Resort, Men of a Certain Age), and just to make it really something, it cast Terry Crews, Jo Lo Truglio, Melissa Fumero, Stephanie Beatriz, and Chelsea Peretti. You may not know some of those names yet, but you will. Also bringing their comedy chops to Brooklyn Nine-Nine are series creators Mike Schur and Dan Goor, both executive producers on Parks and Recreation

When does Brooklyn Nine-Nine debut?

Tuesday, September 17, at 8:30pm, just before the Season 3 premiere of New Girl and right after the series premiere of Dads. The show will air opposite the second half-hours of Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on ABC, NCIS on CBS, The Biggest Loser on NBC, and The Originals on The CW.

Who will like Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

If you like Parks and Recreation and The Office and their workplace-comedy kin, this is for you. And though it's not the best analogy given the decades in between, dare I say Police Academy?

What’s to like about Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

It all starts with the cast, which is great top to bottom. These guys seem like they've been working together for several seasons, even in the pilot, and the funniest people aren't who you might think they'd be. Brooklyn Nine-Nine has also found a way to spice up the workplace comedy by sending the cops into the field to solve cases, and I assume the show will do that every week. It changes the pace nicely, and allows some action-comedy to shine through.

And what’s not so great about Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

I hate to say this because she's so adorable, but Fumero needs a little more experience working on a comedy. I'm not worried, though; she'll get it and she'll be fine. Some of the gags can be pretty weak, unless you consider Samberg wearing a Speedo to be comedy gold.

So, should I watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine or finish that puzzle I've been working on?

Watch it, it's one of the top new comedies of the season.

How's about a trailer?

You got it:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine premieres Tuesday, September 17 at 8:30pm on Fox.

49 Comments