Brotherhood Forums

Showtime (ended 2008)

The Problem With Brotherhood

caliarrass

[1]Aug 20, 2006
    • level: 5

I have watched Brotherhood for the last six weeks after Deadwood and have finally decided to stop watching - ironically to have a chance to watch the Sopranos season 2 on DVD. Brotherhood started with promise. The acting and camera work was on par with HBO, and many of the plots looked to have big payoffs down the line. Six episodes in there have been few to no consequences for the characters and virtually no emotional pulse being emoted from the show. The entire production is so grim it forgets that even the tough life has laughs. Just look at Nip/Tuck, the Sopranos or even Deadwood for examples of balancing drama and comedy. These brothers and politicians should be breaking each others balls - not just carrying on and mumbling through each scene. Furthermore, the wife subplot is of little interest, even though the scene in the woods had the potential to be great. I use the word potential because overall it was squandered with poor directorial choices. Instead of having her sink to the ground in her acceptance of the world finding out of her problem, the camera just cuts out. One of the truly emotional scenes is undercut in exchange for just another character staring into the camera and a plot that barely moves forward.

Brotherhood is a character driven show and yet none of the characters are likable or fleshed out. Why is this city worth fighting for? Neither brother seems to have an answer other than "remember the way it used to be - I want that again." The cardinal sin of the show is that the marking of the "Brotherhood" on each members wrist has not been explored since the first episode. What is this Brotherhood and how does it bind the Irish community together? Purhaps this will be answered by the 11th episode, but by the sixth I am exhausted. Why watch a show with no plot direction, no humor and unrelatable characters. What started out promising ended with a whimper - and under 200,000 viewers. Yet I am not cancelling Showtime even though I ordered it to watch Brotherhood. Weeds has grown on me - and Dexter looks like it may be the next big thing.

Overall show rating: 7.8/10

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

botched_messiah

[2]Aug 29, 2006
    • level: 9
    I like Michael. And I there there's quite a lot of humour - it's just very dark.

-Daimon-

[3]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 6
    botched_messiah wrote:
    I like Michael. And I there there's quite a lot of humour - it's just very dark.

Yeah Michael is awsome. Love it how he beats up those drunks pissing on his street

articnights

[4]Sep 13, 2006
    • level: 4

I like Michael and Tommy, but Tommy's wife if over the top.  She has no redeaming qualities. She actually turns me off to the show completely.  The writer's made a dire mistake in creating such an unlikeable main character.  I can't beleive they gave Tommy a wife with mulable addictions - booze, drugs and sex!!! I think a good plot would be to kill her off and have a 'nice' girl re-enter Tommy's life from his past (like maybe highschool). The bad girls can come and go from within Michael's world.

I like the concept but it will never be "The Sopranos" - even Tony wouldn't take his niece to lunch and beat a man in front of her.  I couldn't believe the producer allowed that scene.  Remember - likeable qualities - even a bad guy has got to have some limits and those limits should involve his family.

I'll keep watching and hope to see the demise of Tommy's wife!

articnights

[5]Sep 13, 2006

Also, what about foreshadowing coming plots.  I don't remember any mention of the gay son.  Did I miss it?  Why couldn't we have had a few shows leading to his suicide and the trouble his lifestyle caused his family - that would be good drama.  The boy's turmoil was off camera, when it should have been shown on camera - a fist fight with his dad for example - even the "Sopranos" plot with Vinnie started the year before and led to his murder in the next season. 

The son's suicide following a fist fight with his dad would cause his father grief and guilt for not accepting his son.  For a strong mobster to lament he'd accept his gay son was not believable, as shown when he murdered his son's lover.

kendahlj

[6]Nov 30, 2006
    • level: 5
    To the original poster...I couldn't agree with you more. I watched eight episodes and wondered why I wasted that much time. I expected more out of this series.

csiman1

[7]Aug 29, 2007
    To stop watching after 8 episodes is criminal. Things start getting really hot around this time. You missed out big time!

Don_Moltisanti

[8]Oct 1, 2007
    • level: 12
    I agree with the original poster, there does seem to be a lack of something on the show. It just never really seems to get going. Dont get me wrong i like it but i thing that it could be even better.

I am still watching and i have to say the first 2 episodes of the new seasons(Season 2) have been better. So hopefully the second season is better than the first although the 1st season did get a bit better towards the end.

Like caliarrass said about the bit in the woods, i thought there was potential for a good scence there but it just ended with no nothing really, tommy comes to bail her out and they go home.