Brothers & Sisters Forums

ABC (ended 2011)

Season 5 to be the last?

marknmo

[1]Jun 8, 2010
    • level: 12

Pulled the from a tv.com article on the front page:

http://www.seattlepi.com/tvguide/421099_tvgif3.html

It's looking like the show is going to end things with season 5. The cast seems to be ready for it, from the way this article talks. There are also changes I'm not too thrilled about - the look of the show is going to change, we're going to have less ensemble scenes, only 18 episodes as compared to the normal 22.

Sigh . . . I love this show, and I want it to go on for a few more seasons, but if they're gonna end it this season, I hope they don't screw it up with these changes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

farscapefanuk

[2]Jun 18, 2010
    • level: 32

I dont think it will be the final season. It all depends on the ratings. B & S ratings arnt bad at all. If season 5 does a lot worst then season 4 then they'll probably cancel it. Otherwise they'll renew it if it gets the same sorta ratings or slightly better.

JustinBaptist

[3]Sep 16, 2010
    • level: 2
    I think they should use this season to wrap up the show. It's better to end it on a high note then past its prime and out of gas.

jack756

[4]Sep 26, 2010
    • level: 14

yep season5 is going to be the last..even if the ratings are high which i doubt it i think they may get lower but no matter what happens the actors are ready for it to end so if the actors leave ..the shows a goner..(i miss tommy the show seems so different without the older brother who screms things upFrown)..

skippercollecto

[5]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 15

Unfortunately, I won't be back. I watched a half hour of the premiere and HATED it!

1. I wasn't aware that Emily VanCamp had been written out of the show altogether. Rebecca was one of my favorite characters; plus, I just like Emily as an actress.

2. I knew that Rob Lowe had left the show, but I did not like what the writers did with the character. In the accident scene at the end of last season, it was apparent that not only DID he die, but that he had caused the accident because he'd had a heart attack while driving. So for someone else to have caused the accident, and for Robert to be in a coma for a year, was just ridiculous.

3. Holly brain-damaged? Why? The fact that all of the other characters combined disliked her was one of the main premises of the series, and now they can't hate her?

4. What happened to Saul's HIV?

5. What's with Kevin's new job?

Anyway, there were too many changes that I didn't think were necessary.

marknmo

[6]Sep 29, 2010
    skippercollecto wrote:

Unfortunately, I won't be back. I watched a half hour of the premiere and HATED it!

1. I wasn't aware that Emily VanCamp had been written out of the show altogether. Rebecca was one of my favorite characters; plus, I just like Emily as an actress.

2. I knew that Rob Lowe had left the show, but I did not like what the writers did with the character. In the accident scene at the end of last season, it was apparent that not only DID he die, but that he had caused the accident because he'd had a heart attack while driving. So for someone else to have caused the accident, and for Robert to be in a coma for a year, was just ridiculous.

3. Holly brain-damaged? Why? The fact that all of the other characters combined disliked her was one of the main premises of the series, and now they can't hate her?

1. I didn't know Emily was leaving, I just thought she was being brought back later on in order to setup her and Justin's story line. That's really terrible, considering she's such a great part of the show (well, when she and Justin aren't fighting).

2. I never got the impression that Rob had a heart attack. I think it was just a freak accident. That, or someone involved in that lame mystery Robert was getting involved in last year caused it in order to shut him up. I do agree, though, that we clearly saw him die at the end of last season, and to now be told that he wasn't dead only so the writers could kill him again without showing his face was really lame.

3. I'm kinda interrested in the brain damage story line. But, depending on how the show goes, it could be a bore.

4. Saul still has HIV. Nora made a comment when she was asking him about the guy who was calling him. She said something like, "oh, is he positive, too?"

5. Kevin seems to be some sort of public attorney now. Judging by this first case that we're seeing, it looks like it could specialize in child welfare.

syliris

[7]Sep 29, 2010
    • level: 2

skippercollecto wrote:

1. VanCamp will be back for two episodes.

2. Robert didn't cause the accident by a heart-attack, he was cut off by someone else (most likely the truck) and he came in collission with the truck. Then Holly's car smashed into his.

3. Having only a very short-memory span, this is going to challenge Holly, and create a different relationship between herself and Nora. Besides, by the end of season 4 nobody really hated her anymore. Nora herself said that Holly had become 'family'. Nora, Saul and Sarah were in Holly's car when they crashed. This will just change the dynamics between Holly and the Walkers.

4. Still there. As long as he's only HIV+ Saul can still live for many years. And it was adressed. Perhaps you should have stayed a little longer.

5. Kevin is backto being a lawyer. Just like he was before they ruined his career and his character with the utterly ridiculous "Kevin works for Robert" storyline. And I'm happy he is. Lawyer!Kevin! is just sexy!

Edited on 09/29/2010 12:08pm
    Edited 3 total times.

chartah

[8]Oct 31, 2010
    • level: 21

skippercollecto wrote:

I agree. This sucks.

marknmo

[9]Jan 12, 2011
    Well, I'm now hoping that this is in fact the last season of the show. They've ditched half of the cast and replaced them with all of these horrible, new relationships that don't mesh with the show at all.

They have all of these new characters running around like chickens with their heads cutoff and our main cast members are just kinda "there" with them as if waiting to pass the torch or something. I mean, who even remotely is enjoy Kitty and Seth?! The only new characters I've enjoyed were Jack (the guy Kitty hooked up with in the beginning of the season) and Dr. West (Nora's bf this season). Both of these were great characters that I felt had potential, but they both had their personalities altered at the last second in order to give the writers an easy way to get rid of them quickly. Plus, in this last episode, they got rid of Holly. Holly! I mean, COME ON! They've gotten rid of Rebecca, Ohai Foods, Ryan (somehow...), Robert, and now HOLLY! There is nothing tying this show to its root plotline anymore. Heck, they've gotten rid of some of the actual family by getting rid of Tommy and his wife and child!

This season feels more like a spinoff than an actual continuation of the show that I've been watching for the previous 4 years. It really feels like ABC just took some of the characters from a series, put them into another series with new characters and just sat there with their fingers crossed hoping the audience would pick it up. I wish that they would have just ended the show at the end of last season instead of turning it into this colossal train wreck it's become now.

marknmo

[10]Jan 12, 2011
    Oh, and one other thing I need to seriously complain about (and I'll keep it short):

What was the point of the whole Robert's-doing-something-ultra-secret-and-dangerous plotline last season? I was expecting this season to involve Kitty finding out that the accident that killed Robert was no real accident and was somehow caused by the people that were trying to keep their business with him a secret. That wound up not even being mentioned this season, and seriously, it didn't lead anywhere last season since the accident wasn't involved with any of it, so I can't help but feel the whole plot was a big fat dud.

krisp925

[11]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 4

I am pretty sure they were planning on taking that story line somewhere, but Rob Lowe decided to leave the show so they just let it go. It's not like they planned his departure, he just "wasn't getting enough airtime" so he wanted to leave.

marknmo

[12]Jan 13, 2011
    So, that doesn't mean it's okay to just ignore something they built up for what, six or something episodes? They needed to close it up somehow. I mean, heck, they let him die "again" in the season premiere to give a sloppy closure to his story with Kitty, why not address that stuff as well?

But that's just a small point. There are so many things this season that just feel half-assed. Seeing how the writers obviously have no plans for their story lines (proof of that is how they handled Holly this season) and how the actors are just phoning in most of their performances this season (aside from Scotty and, to a degree, Kevin). This show should have just been finished last season with the selling of Ojai.

ozoak

[13]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 7
    Looks almost like it's just us interested in this show now :p

We've recently returned to viewing Brothers and Sisters, and have actually watched the first 4 seasons straight through in the last 4 weeks. We've then played catchup with season 5 and have just caught up to ep 10.

The story had ebb and flow through seasons 1-3 that worked very well, season 4 was pretty good as well (though there was the whole confusing Ryan thing). There were story arcs that reached through more than a couple of episodes and there was a coherent sense to the show with rapid-fire ensemble scenes and a connected between characters.

Season 5 is more like eavesdropping on really boring people at the super market as you duck in to grab some bread and milk. The characters have become 2 dimensional, mundane, disjointed and not anchored - to each other or any discernible story arcs.

Through all previous seasons, which we've been addicted to, I've had to pause if I need to go grab a drink etc. Now I find myself not really caring if it's paused - it's not like I'm going to miss anything being out of the room for a few minutes.

I don't know if the show is salvageable, I'd like to think it is if the writing staff got a kick up the backside, but at very least it would be satisfying if they could lift their game and give the show a dignified exit befitting the quality it showed in the beginning.

DawnThomasSt

[14]Feb 26, 2011
    • level: 1

Season 4 did seem to just lag on at times.Had me debating if the show was still worth watching.Sure glad I did, Season 5 started off with a bang,Some fantastic new characters.Beau Bridges (hot)best hookup for Nora so far.Think sparks could fly their and be believable.Must keep Lily the dog and she must make a full recovery! Chamberlian for Saul is also a great match, enjoy the banter there.Kitty and her new boy toy, what a hot mess that is.She needs to go to Washington for sure.Holly was getting old but deserves to come back at times just to spar with Nora now an then.Tommy's new flame proves to give Nora a run for her money.Think Justin's new girl is better fit than Rebecca ever was,to much of a whine bag.Kevin an Scotty great match.Look forward to their family coming together.Sarah an Luc hot hot hot that could be a great wedding,If they don't make a comedy out of it! Keep watching Folks.Hope the best is yet to come.Lets get a few more seasons out of this one.I will miss it if it has to go !!!

Edited on 02/26/2011 1:32am

mondler4eva

[16]Apr 27, 2011
    • level: 5
    Yeah, I know that maybe the show is getting worse, and the characters are gone one by one but if the show is not renewed for the sixth season the characters would be all gone.. and that's sadder.. the new characters aren't that bad, there are Luc that's pretty great on this show and there's Brody.. I just want for Holly, Rebecca and David to come back for more episodes or even return for a main cast.. I hope that they will pick up a few more seasons cause all of the fans will miss that show.. or maybe they'll just have to make a movie based on this show.. just like SATC.. will miss all of the characters and casts if this season 5 is gonna be the last season of Brothers and Sisters.. And I'm also hoping that Kitty would be on more episodes.. For me, I don't really mind Tommy disappearing from this show, just don't want for Kitty to disappear..

marknmo

[17]May 5, 2011

Looks like ABC is trying to hold onto the show:

http://www.tv.com/brothers-and-sisters-might-survive-but-with-cuts/story/25782.html?tag=hotspot;gumball;1

---
    ABC, like all the major networks, is currently making final decisions about its schedule, and one show that's dangling precipitously off the edge is Brothers & Sisters. But word is that ABC is trying to save the show... with a few cuts. The idea is to bring the show back for a final, 18-episode season, and to keep the budget at a reasonable level by cutting down the screen time of one of its stars: Calista Flockhart. [Deadline Hollywood]
    ---

It's funny that they're going to try to give us even less Kitty, which we already get very little of, heh.

wildhoney66

[18]May 8, 2011
    • level: 13

i agree, i say talk to the cast & see if they will take a price cut in their saleries. not let me say that sometimes that DOES in fact work. not always though. IF it is to be the last season i mean. i dunno i'm just thinking aloud that's all.

i think price cuts should be a little better at least since some of the cast have left the show now. meaning "Patricia Wetting" for example. i dunno i hope that they bring the show back for another season. & see how it does ratings wise & IF it's still doing poorly by say Feb. of next year than end it. that way they will have enough time to write the show to give it hopefully a good ending.

djboy77

[19]May 9, 2011
    • level: 7

While I don't want it to end, having just watched S05E22 (the season finale), they could easily finish up there. There's still some unresolved threads (eg: Kitty and Seth and the pregnancy, Sarah's new siblings, etc), but that's pretty much any snapshot in time of life and pretty much the way we came into the series in the first place. Nora's monologue did seem like it could serve as the bookend for the series.

Which I found surprising because I had heard they had written in a cliffhanger, so I was expecting something... more. As it is, it just didn't seem that hangery. There were some satisfying resolutions for certain things, while others suggest a continuation of the characters beyond the timeframe of the show.

BTW, the phone choreography at the start of the show was possibly one of their best.

danny7277

[20]Jun 5, 2011
    • level: 11

i really want one more season to wrap things up and add closure