Brothers & Sisters

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM May 20, 2007 on ABC

• Family drama... Engagement party plans... Soldier says goodbye... Let's celebrate a year with the Walker clan.

Upon a second viewing, I love this episode even more than before and I'm not sure how that is possible since I really liked it, tears came, when I first saw it in May. Anyway, Justin says goodbye to all his family members in personal, individual ways. Kitty and Nora part ways as Nora plans for the engagement party and Kitty readies herself for moving in with the senator (hooray to Lowe's long term status on the show!). Kevin hooks up with Jason. This show has everything that makes any show, but in particular this show, fantastic!!! The beginning and the ending of the episode, stylistically, match up with Patriarchy, season premiere, and continues the circle, the cycle. It's reminiscent of the days when their father was alive and it's just beautiful. The actors continue to embrace the dialogue and make their characters live. Their own air chemistry with each other is nothing short of amazing. All the interactions: Kitty and Nora, Kevin and Nora, Kevin and Jason, Robert's family, Justin and et al; The Party Disaster; the truth revealed about Joe and the "kiss"; The tearful airport's just perfect! It will be interesting to see where the stories go. How long will Justin be gone? Will art imitate life? After all, soldiers' tours continue to be extended. Will Saul, who has been paired with Holly, come out of the closet? Will Jason and Kevin continue to date? Will Robert and Kitty make it to the altar? Can Sarah and Joe work it out? Can't wait to find out...
    I end with this snippet from Sarah's speech:
    "A family...It's the best and the worst thing that can ever happen to us...the truth is that without each other we would be truly lost." Nothing is more true!!!
  • Mother Written by Jon Robin Baitz And Greg Berlanti Directed by Ken Olin

Kitty (to Nora): "It's been an awful year but it's been the best awful year of my life".

That would be an almost apt way of describing the entire first season if the writing didn't happen to be so ridiculously good for the most part of the series. With various other ABC pulling out bigger guns for their season finales, Brothers And Sisters is by comparison a more subtle affair.

For the past few episodes we've been reminded at every given opportunity that Justin is heading back to Iraq and now that the moment is finally approaching, Justin's way of dealing with it is to spend time with his family doing things they enjoy the most. That goes without saying that Justin is really being sweet.

Although it's off screen Sarah gets to go to the zoo with her kids and baby brother and probably have a lot of fun since her marriage to Joe went down the crap hole. It's also her opportunity to have a social time with her kids outside of the many parties the Walkers have had this season.

With Tommy it's slightly more a macho affair as him and Justin take to some surfing and cruising the various girls that cross their paths. It's really funny seeing Tommy trying to encourage Justin to get some action before he heads off to war and for Justin to decline. Maybe he's still missing Tyler or maybe he's still not convinced that he's out of the woods yet in terms of spiralling.

Justin's generosity with his family even extends to willingly attending a matinee of Wicked with Kevin, who is only too thrilled to see that particular play yet again and who is also hilarious in warning Tommy that he's next. Kevin's like a grim reaper although instead of stealing souls, he drags siblings to musicals. Tommy might not be able to resist for long if Kevin's really that determined.

However one person who refuses to indulges in Justin's little family spending moments and given her knack of brow beating her kids into attending events they'd happily eschew, it comes across as majorly insensitive that Nora would refuse Justin the courtesy of going to the museum with her.

Granted Nora has her reasons and sees that Justin is scared of not coming back from Iraq in one piece. You can't blame him for being that way or even for how he's coping with that fear. War isn't safe even for the people who aren't going around nuking rival soldiers. Justin's trying to give his family something in the off chance that something bad does happen to him. Nora should try to understand that at least.

It might be okay for Justin to give fellow soldiers the confidence to believe in themselves but it's a lot harder to convince yourself first hand and there's a great moment between Sally Field and Dave Annable where both Justin and Nora lay their feelings on the table. Nora's refusal to accept Justin's fears is annoying but it's understandable. This show is more than excellent at conveying both sides to an argument pretty damn well.

Of course Nora couldn't go through this episode completely believing that she was in the right, so it took Robert and his war experiences to persuade Nora to make it up with Justin. Maybe it's me but I'm starting to love the fact that Robert is now getting significant scenes with people outside of Kitty. Last week it was with Justin and this week with Nora. Here's hoping that trend continues on next season.

It also helps out that Rebecca is quick to tell Nora and Kitty that Justin had to report two days earlier than what they were lead to believe so eschewing the engagement party of doom, both Kitty and Nora went off to catch Justin before he left for good.

The scenes at the airport are suitably poignant. No sickening melodrama, just true to life and honest mixture of fear, pride and happiness for Justin. Both Kitty and Nora excelled in those moments and their closeness to Justin was nicely highlighted. It wouldn't be too much to hope that Justin doesn't actually get hurt out in Iraq then? Who knows what will happen on this series. Either way Justin's temporary departures are better than the ones seen on other ABC series this year.

Justin's departure wasn't the only curveball Nora got dealt with it. She may have been ecstatic that Kitty was engaged and even more thrilled when the rest of the family ensured that an engagement party would take place but when Kitty had to tell Nora that she would be moving out, Nora couldn't resist getting into a rather animated argument with her.

Kinda like with Justin, Nora did overreact with the way she handled Kitty's news. Kitty might have egged on the argument as well but it's not like she told Nora out of malice and it's also not like Nora couldn't have seen it coming in the least. Come on, it would've been a bit weird if Robert had to move in instead of Kitty moving out of the homestead. Nora just let her fears of losing both kids rule her thoughts and when she eventually snap out of it, we got a wonderfully frank conversation between her and Kitty that could more or less sum up most of Season One in a nutshell. It's moments like this that cement my appreciation of this show. To think I was actually reluctant to review this series at first. Now I can't imagine not reviewing it, it's become that much of a joy to watch every week.

However if you were think that the Walkers were the only set of nutters on this show, then it turns out that the rest of Robert and Jason's family aren't exactly cover material for Sanity Fair either.

Robert's favourite uncle is a guy called Jack Weiner and when he's not using election badges in an inappropriate manner, he's also doing his ample best to grab hold of Nora's backside and alongside him, the rather overtly sexual cousin Catherine and a few more nut jobs, they not only manage to out drink the Walkers, but they literally bring down the tent in the garden.

It's a rather unbridled joy to see that Robert isn't entirely perfect as he has to apologise to Nora for the damage his crazy clan are inflicting while wondering with Kitty if he's actually still election material. That's the thing, isn't it a bit too early in this show's life for Robert to be running for President? Still it's almost worth it for the amount of snark Kevin can muster about Kitty being the first First Lady to even get impeached. That's also something that could be a reality too given this series.

However it's not just Kitty and Robert who are having relationship good times as Jason's arrival on the scene means for some more priceless moments between him and Kevin. Saul has great fun in telling Kevin that Jason hates his guts and Kevin even puts his foot in it when him and Jason's opposing views means that the original venue for Kitty and Robert's engagement do is lost.

Still Kevin spends his time at the party getting hammered and arguing with Jason over the craziness of each other's families before all that supposed hostility goes out the window and the two of them end up making out in a scene that's both hot and funny to look at. The crap part is that the kiss is somewhat brief so you feel a little cheated.

What's even more interesting is that during the speeches at the party, Jason is revealed to be a minister and Kevin is slightly mortified, which leads to him berating Kitty yet again. Sometimes I think that girl is a walking dart board for Kevin and his impulsive outbursts. Still Kitty's support is nothing short of sweet but she's deluding herself if she thinks it'll stop Kevin from disliking Robert.

Given the pretty cool (and rather instant) chemistry between Matthew Rhys and Eric Winter, I am actually going to be rather quick to ship Kevin and Jason as a couple. Kevin was able to curb his Robert hate to a minimum during a later meeting between him and Jason and Jason is just adorable for his cheeky view on tradition.

Let's just say that Kevin isn't the only one who would gladly advocate Jason's tradition in less than a minute. Please for the love of God let Viva Laughlin get canned if it means more Jason. He and Kevin might actually work in a way that Kevin's relationship with both Scotty and Chad didn't.

Kevin wasn't the only one with a promise of getting some as the somewhat secretive Saul also seems to be harbouring something. When Milo turned up and Saul displayed some discomfort, I got the feeling there might have been some internalised homophobia. What I mean is that Saul could be one of those people who accept their family as being gay but not one of their old friends. I hate that kind of mentality but it does exist out there.

Instead we're lead to believe that something happened between Milo and Saul a long time ago and it's not something that Saul wants a repeat performance of. Milo may be in his 60's but he did make the leap to divorce his wife and come out as gay and now as a viewer you're left wondering if Saul is gay too.

I'd go for being bisexual but up until now there's never been any hints of Saul being nothing other than straight. That being said I have confidence in this show to tackle this plot as responsibly as they've done many others. Still this definitely caught me off guard and I am suitably intrigued with whatever outcome we get.

I'm also intrigued to see how the writers tackle Julia's post pardum because if her brief appearance in this episode is anything to go by, she's definitely suffering from it. Although Elizabeth's doing fine in the hospital the loss of William is still affecting and unlike Tommy, Julia doesn't have this big family she can confide in. Tommy should've figured that the last thing Julia would want is to go to a party.

Speaking of parties, Rebecca got forced into inviting Holly to Kitty/Robert's engagement and for one time only, both Holly and Sarah managed to have a civilised conversation. Then again I doubt Sarah wanted to engage in a screaming match in front of Cooper and you are given the impression that Holly might feel a tad remorseful in her part of breaking up Sarah's marriage.

The thing is though while Holly and Sarah might learn to tolerate each other; I still don't really know why Holly constantly puts herself in the position of attending their parties. It's like what Sarah was saying about the weddings and single tables. Holly needs to get a life away from the Walkers, not only for their sakes but also for her own good as well.

When it comes to good, Rebecca did kinda the right thing and told Justin about the real reason behind her bad history in Chicago and honestly I didn't see her older love killing himself coming. More importantly she admitted her part in the kiss with Joe and was told by Justin to do the right thing and tell Sarah, which is now another thing we'll have to see next season.

The episode's ending however was something of a therapeutic joy. William may have died in the family pool but it didn't stop everyone else from jumping in at the end. Heck even Holly and Rebecca managed to dive to outrival Robert's crazy relative. It's also one of my favourite scenes of the entire. It might come off as being silly but there's also something rather meaningful in it too.

Also in "Matriarchy"

Both Tommy and Justin were seen together in the opening episode as well as this finale on the beach.

Justin: "We've had some good times"
    Tommy: "Yeah it's been a barrel of laughs".

Neither Joe nor Paige popped up in this episode. Then again, I know a certain someone who won't be a regular next season.

Kitty: "The mattress is so squishy that all the blood is rushing through my head"
    Robert: "That's funny because I'm not having that problem".

Nora: "Major Weiner, is that a joke?"
    Kitty: "Don't laugh".

Kitty referred to her brothers to Jason as Larry, Moe and Curly. Robert mentioned that Kevin was Moe. Am I missing something here?

Justin: "We're going to see Wicked"
    Kevin: "Yay"
    Tommy: "It's not enough you're going to Iraq"
    Kevin: "You're next Tommy".

Weiner: "Guess what I've got in here"
    Nora: "I'd rather not".

One of Robert's relatives spoke with an Irish accent. I mean one that sounded genuinely Irish, not what Americans thinks Irish sound like.

Sarah: "Why do you keep putting yourself through it?"
    Holly: "I don't know. There's always something magical about weddings".

Jason: "Why are you such an unpleasant person?"
    Kevin: "Why do you care?"

Anyone notice that Kevin wasn't there at the family dinner? It's probably because Matthew Rhys was filming Dylan Thomas.

Robert: "Do you still think I'm electable?"
    Kitty: "Probably not".

Justin: "Did you?"
    Rebecca: "Yeah. I don't know what I was thinking and I certainly don't know what Joe was thinking in that moment".

Isn't it funny that the season opened with an episode about fatherhood and then ends with one on motherhood? I almost half-expected William to pop up in a flashback or something.

Sarah: "A family. It's the best and worst thing that can happen to us. The truth is that without each other we would truly be lost".

Kitty (re Jason): "I have never met a minister before"
    Kevin: "I never sucked the face of one before".

Jason and Robert are both Catholic but Jason is a Methodist minister because he wanted a friendly audience. That would mean his flock know he's gay and couldn't care less. Another reason to dig this show.

Kevin (to Kitty): "You know what. You're the worst communications director ever. If he wins the election, you're going to be the first First Lady to be impeached".

Kitty: "I don't know what I believe in anymore but I know that I believe in you and I love you so much"
    Justin: "I love you too".

Standout music: There's a great selection with both "Long Awaited Sigh" by Flip Grater and "Ooh Child" by Nina Simone being my favourite of the bunch.

Jason: "I think you should know, I'm a very traditional person. Jumping your bones is very atypical of me"
    Kevin: "Well I could use some tradition in my life".

Holly: "What's going on?"
    Kevin: "Pool party".

Chronology: May 20th 2007, which is the same day that ABC aired this episode.

"Matriarchy" makes for a satisfying end to a brilliant debut season. Like many of the strongest episodes in the season, this episode works so well because of its ability to blend both the comedy and drama so effortlessly. Here's hoping that Channel 4 do the right thing and stand by this show because it more than proves its worth.
  • brilliant!

just brilliant
    what else can i saw about this amazing episode?
    it was just great, the scenes just completed the season entirelly. when justin leaves its heartbreaking. the fight between kitty and nora is hilarious and their moment before going to the airport is amazing too. the final pool scene its just soo uplifting. it makes me wanna go to my pool and jump. its soo amazing. and holly going there too. its too much. i love it and the season finale was too perfect. have to love those walkers

cant wait for season 2 to begin.
    hope it gets better (how could it!!??)
  • brothers and sister apeals to any crowd or individual. The Walker family are an interesting bunch there's a little of everyone in their characters

exciting season finale.filled with everything!. Tears for justin going back to the war, laughter for the jump in the pool. what a wonderful sight seeing holly and becca join in the pool action. The argument with kitty and nora about kitty's movement was hilarious and becca coming out with the truth about the kiss a sigh of relief. All in all it had a PERFECT ending.Nora's lines were perfectly played out loved her. i smiled when it ended until i started crying. Brothers and sisters thumbs up and the walkers, you are one of the reasons i love TV. And everyone responsible for the show,keep up the goodwork!
  • Kitty's engagement party serves as the eye of the hurricane for some serious season closure.

It began with an engament, Kitty's engament, to a guy named Jonathan with whom she broke up shortly after her father passed away; it began with a marriage, Sarah's marriage, in crisis long before the final straw that ended it all; it began with a romance, Justin romance with a gal named Fawn, that now seems so distant like the addiction he had to overcome before he could come back to the war front, it began with two brothers Tommy & Kevin as different as their lives may be and it ends the same way...only different.

Different because William is gone and with him the father who lied, left more problems for them to fix than explanations for them to hear and changed their lives as they knew it, and yet it ends just the same as it started as if nothing would've changed even though everything is different.

It ends with an engagement, Kitty's engament, to a man she can look past the chaos and mayhem if only because they have one another, a man with whom to build a future together, a man as only Robert McCallister can be; it ends with a marriage only now not Sarah's but Tommy's, a marriage strong enough to become a family despite losing one of their children; it ends with a romance only now not Justin's but Kevin's, a romance with a guy but a romance nonetheless, with all the potential one Jason McCallister could bring to the table considering whose brother he is and it ends with two siblings: the soldier and the divorcee each of them strong in their own way. Each of them facing their own particular war front heading straight to the season to come, as the rest of the Walkers themselves.
  • Nora throws an engagement party for Kitty and Justin says goodbye to his family…

Just like Nora, I hate to say goodbye, well at least for the meantime, to the Walker family. I will definitely miss all the bickering, jumping down each other’s throat and all that drama from this great and one of a kind family…

I am glad that Holly and Rebecca are now officially part of the Walker family, this is very evident at the ending scene – where every member of the Walker family, jumped at the pool and had a really great time.

I also love the scene shared between Holly and Sarah -- I have witnessed growth of character from these two amazing women. Kudos to the writer!

Justin says goodbye to his family much to the dismay of her mother. He took Tommy surfing, Sarah and her kids to the zoo, Kevin to see the musical “Wicked” and invited Nora to the museum. But Nora doesn't want to say goodbye for she fears for the safety of her son. She dreaded the thought that Justin was doing all these things because something terrible might happen to him at Iraq. It took the Senator to convince Nora to finally come to terms with Justin leaving for the war and to say goodbye to his son. Of course, like any other episodes from this season, I so love the scenes shared between Kitty and Nora – specially the scene where Kitty blithely announces that she is moving out of Nora’s house now that she is getting married to the Senator. The truth is Nora needed someone to fight with because she doesn’t want to deal with Justin leaving for Iraq. And of course, Kitty knew this all along. A lot of issues are still left hanging in the balance: Sarah’s marriage to Joe, well-being of Tommy and Julia’s baby girl, Rebecca telling Sarah the truth about the “kiss”, Kitty’s tying the knot with the Senator, and Saul being gay -- this I never expected, which come to think of it, Saul being gay clearly explains why he is still a bachelor at his age and I wonder if Nora is aware of it....

It had been definitely a wonderful year for the Walker family. I can’t wait what secrets are yet to be revealed, conflicts to be resolved and if there are still other Walker family member out there yet to be discovered… Yes, this is definitely the Brady bunch of the 21st century!
  • This was sooo exciting, and i enjoyed and finished the last series of the first season with a smile on my face.

what more culd be better than that, a smile on my face that the family, put aside their differences to have a good engagement party for kitty and also a tear that jason was goin to war but i hope he comes back cos the show's not all so sexy without hime there cos he is fyne to look out not necessarily listenin to what he says but just admire how cute he is...this was the best way to end the season and it was good after all the tries and i'm sure families can relate to the WALKER family...and oh my Gosh, who knows if Rebecca wuld tell sarah about herself and joe...boi thats gonna be some premier...init...? cant wait...who knows when the next season comes out...
  • Excellent Episode

Great, Great, Great Episode for Brothers & Sisters. The First season finale of Brothers & Sisters was really exciting. Humour, Painful, Oh My God so much feeling in this episode. Season Finale but exceptionnaly not a big cliffangher exept the Iraq sequence. Justin want to come back next year ? Is the question of the season finale. I Guess, Yes. It's a wonderful character. Saul is GAY ? Amazing. I don't know if I want that he is gay because Kevin is so excellent. I love the brother of the senator. I want that him and KEVIN dating. Nora was excellent. Kitty again.
    Great first Year for Brothers & Sisters.
  • No big cliffhanger, but the first season finale was very satisfying.

Justin leaving for Iraq was at the centre of this episode, and it made for a few very dramatic scenes. The scene at the airport with Kitty and Nora saying goodbye to him was a tearjerker, and I thought it was great that he was concerned and wanted to spend time with every member of his family before leaving.

The sadness of Justin's departure was well balanced with the fun and randomness of Kitty and Robert's engagement party. It was great to see that Robert's family is so crazy and huge, because it makes the Walkers seem a little more normal. One thing that kind of bothered me was Saul. I've never really understood him, and I don't see him having a lot of point in most of the storylines so far. I think it was interesting that his old friend showed up, making his past resurface, but I think that if the writers were going to the trouble to bring this guy in, there should have been more to it.

I'm glad Jason and Kevin got together or at least got some resolution. And Rebecca's revelation about the teacher and Chicago was completely unexpected to me, but it kind of put her move on Joe into perspective.

The final scene in the pool was a great way to end the episode. This show and the characters in it are full of fun and I think that it really showed in this episode. Great way to finish off the season.
  • Justin leaves for war :(

So it was a really good episode to end a really good first season. I enjoyed it a lot and as always funny exchanges between brothers and sisters. It was sad that Justin had to leave though because Nora was just crushed to see him go but she's stronger then that so she'll be alright. I loved that scene where Nora and Kitty are running to try and meet up with Justin. Those two women are so silly. Senators family is insane crazy! We were mislead by thinking the Walkers were crazy haha. I loved when they jumped in the pool in the end. Can't wait til the next season.
  • Great ending to rookie season!

This was a great ending to a rookie season as
    It was bittersweet. But still, the show is why I
    Love it the way that it is. Kitty plans to get
    Married all the while as she moves out of the house
    Saul contemplates his love life as Justin is about to go
    To Iraq. Very emotional episode and can't wait for season 2!!
  • Their first season finale.

The Walkers' get through the season, and have they had some drama! I enjoyed this episode, especially with no shocking cliffhangers at the end of the episode, but just the jumping in the pool. I liked how most of the storylines were just left hanging, such as Justin going to Iraq, Kitty's possible marriage to the Senator, Sarah's marriage with Joe, Kevin's possible relationship with the Senator's brother, Saul's odd past with that one guy, and the aftermath of last week's birth. To end the season of such an emotional show with the cast jumping in the pool was truly the icing on a very sweet cake.

After watching this finale, I don't have a strong urge to watch "Brothers & Sisters" again next week, but when it returns all new in the fall, I will definitely be watching. It's just that type of show!
  • Keep an ear out for my song, 'Long Awaited Sigh' during the episode. Hear it again at

Keep an ear out for my song, 'Long Awaited Sigh' during the season final of Brother and Sisters! The song plays during an emotional conversation where Rebecca confesses about an older man from her past. Hear it again at

Long Awited Sigh is taken from Flip Grater's debut album, Cage For A Song released in Aug 2006. You can buy the single or album at or through For more information about the soundtrack from Brothers and Sisters, copy and paste this link - Flip Grater is a New Zealand based singer songwriter - find out more at
  • Nora plans Kitty and Robert's engagement party while Justin prepares to leave for Iraq.

So this is my first post for one of these and I've got to say that this is the best episode of the season right behind Game Night. I was expecting the episode to revolve around a tear jerker or a huge secret to carry over into the next season but the writers for this show did it again. The humor involved with Kitty and Robert's engagement party couldn't have be planned any better. Just when we think that the Walker's have some serious issues in comes the McCalisters. Wow, that bunch is something all right.

Then when Jason and Kevin finally hook up it's like "FINALLY." I was waiting for a decent person for Kevin since Scotty and I'm hoping that Jason sticks around. Kevin's line "I need a little tradition in my life." I was so happy he's giving a little in a relationship. I'm also happy that the show gave us at least a glimpse of how Julia is since her twin's births. That I hope is played up some in the next season.

Finally the real part of the episode when Justin leaves is just done so well. I was kind of hoping the whole Walker clan would go down to the airport but I can see the significance of just Kitty and Nora going. When you think all hope is lost of seeing Justin one last time he shows up. And Nora saying she's gonna be just as brave as Justin just broke my heart. I have a feeling Justin will be back though but scarred like before.

The very end of the episode just reminds me of why I love this series so much. There is just so much humor and strangely enough hope that comes with this series. You fell this sort of surge of hope from everyone as Justin leaves for Iraq and the family sort of relaxes, knowing they will just have to wait like the rest of us to find out how Justin turns out. I've got to say, this is one of the best series ever!

A little last minute trivia. This title of this episode is Matriarchy. The title mirrors, of course perfectly, the season starter Patriarchy.
  • Nora plans Kitty's engagement party, secrets come out and our Justin on his way to Iraq...

One of the best season finales ever, as always Kitty and Nora fighting about something. This time it was about Kitty moving out to the Senators house. Nora felt she was losing 2 kids at the same time..

Nora plans Kitty's engagement party, but Kevin and Jason end up making the plans.. It's funny seeing them together, Kevin is always a smart ass.. Good chemistry between these two, hopefully he'll come back for season 2.

Justin gets called back a few days early, it's on Kittys party. He doesn't want anyone to know that he's leaving so that Kitty's party doesn't get ruin. He does tell Rebecca though and she of course tells Kitty and Nora..

Rebecca confessed to Justin that she had something to do with the kiss with Joe.. I'm glad she said something.. Justin tells her that she needs to tell Sarah..

Sarah bumps into Holly and has a real nice chat.. They kinda became friends and Holly gave her advice with her speech which was great! In the mean time all the McCallister family is destroying The Walkers home.. They are one crazy family, they make the Walkers seem sane. Nora and Kitty catch up with Justin at the airport, great goodbye scene by the way.. They go back home and at the end all of the Walkers jump in the pool.. GREAT Ending, just like it started.. It was a great season.. They all deserve at least an Emmy nomination.. Especially Rachel Griffins and Sally Fields.. Anxious to see what happens in Season 2..
  • As good as it gets!

I have found every episode refreshing. Even if the storyline is kept light, there is one or maybe two revelations of some sort. In some cases, so subtle you might miss it. Tonights episode was one that showcased every possible aspect of the collaborative efforts in producing this great show. The engagement party sets the stage. Kevin and the Senator's brother reunite to battle their wits and suck face (of course before we discover his brother is actually a Methodist minister.) Rebecca confides in Justin, her past which includes an affair (why she actually was in Chicago) with an older married man that ends in his suicide. Justin quietly slips out, headed to the airport for Iraq (without goodbyes.) Saul is greeted by an old pal, played by Michael Nouri and it appears that the two were more than pals back in the day. Saul's friend shares of his recent divorce and "coming out" & suggests they get together but Saul quickly stresses his busy schedule has him too booked up and escapes. Sarah & Holly share a small civil moment and we see the two families come together for the first time.

This show deserves a good, long run. The is some of the best writing I have seen. By far the best performances by an ensemble cast as well as stand out individual performances. Sally Field is the best she has ever been (as if she could have been better?) Rachel Griffiths is amazing. Calista is as refreshing as when she played Ally, & Patricia, Matthew, Dave, & Balthazar are equally Fine performers. Hats off to Ken Olin. Although I miss seeing him perform, the man knows what he is doing as producer.
  • Justin goes to Iraq, Nora throws Kitty and the senator an engagement party and secrets come out.

This was an absolutely amazing episode, and an excellent finish to the first season of a really great show. First off, let me just say how surprised I was by how light and funny this episode was. I was really expecting it to be very dramatic and a real tear jerker with Justin leaving for Iraq, but it ended up being pretty funny. I loved Kevin in this episode, especially his scenes with Jason. I can't believe how into it they got when they were making out in the pantry. After that, I would definitely say that Matthew Rhys and Eric Winter have great chemisty together. I'm so glad that Jason and Kevin hooked up, and I really hope that Eric can come back next season. I loved the twist with Jason. All of the engagement party scenes were so wonderful and funny. I love the McCallister family. They sure are crazy. I also really liked all of Justin's scenes. They were all so well done. Dave Annable was great in this episode. Sally Field was also amazing. The whole cast did such a great job. I loved all of the shocking twists that were revealed in this episode, especially the twist regarding Rebecca. All in all, this truly was an outstanding episode and an amazing end to such a wonderful first season of Brothers & Sisters. I can't wait for season two to start.