Brothers & Sisters

Mistakes Were Made, Part 1 (a.k.a. Glass Jumps)

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Nov 12, 2006 on ABC

• An emotional episode with many flashbacks

Ok, first of all, Sarah figuring out the password and confirming that Rebecca is William's daughter. It's gonna be interesting to see what's gonna happen next. How is the rest of the family(specially Nora) gonna take the news and what position is Saul gonna have in this as he now seems to be torn between Holly and the Walkers. As Sarah said he has a decision to make. I actually hope he would stick with Holly, that might make an interesting storyline.

The way Sarah dealt with Gabe in this episode was really great. Assuring the boy that he is a part of this family was really the best she could do at this point. And it seemed to work.

Kevin trying to make up with Scotty was really sweet, this phonecall he made to Scotty was kind of heartbreaking:( Hopefully it's not the end of those two.

It was terrifying to see Justin fall apart after getting a letter from the army. But I also hope that now after ending up in the hospital he (and the family) will take the matter of his addiction more seriously. I hope Justin doesn't have to go to war in the end but if he does it's gonna make a good storyline for Nora I think. The flashbacks to 2001 were really great and heartbreaking. The family seeing the whole thing from TV and later Kitty talking about the shocking experience to Justin showed us how the event effected everybody and caused Justin's enlisting.

All in all a really well written and played episode.
  • Incredible acting. I love this show.

WOW, this was one of the most powerful episodes of any show I've watched on TV. I have a complete and total new respect for Calista Flockhart and her acting abilities (not that I doubted them before, but she was stuck in my head as Ally McBeal and it was difficult to see the transformation).

When she's telling her brother about 9/11 it is so powerful. You actually think she was there - a total suspension of reality. She sounds so incredibly choked up and you forget this is an actress and you feel like you're watching an actual eyewitness account.

Congrats, Ms. Flockhart, you did an amazing job.
  • Glass Jumps Written by Craig Wright And Jon Robin Baitz Directed by Michael Lange

Justin: "So there's nothing you can do for me?"
    Kevin: "No, we can apply for an exemption but they are mostly giving them to people who are supporting families"
    Justin: "So because I'm a bellboy I have to go to Baghdad?"

And just when things were going so well for Justin too! I know we've seen Justin somewhat lose it in episodes such as "An Act Of Will" and "Family Portrait" but they were minor compared to what happens with Justin this week.

Once the guy finally got a semblance of a life with a job, a hot but caring girlfriend in Tyler and finally the ability of endearing himself back in Tommy's good books, a registered letter from the army is the equivalent of someone throwing a hand grenade into Justin's apartment. In other words, "Crap" and "Double Crap".

Seeing as his previous military experience haven't exactly done the world of good for him, Justin's pretty quick to flip and honestly I can't blame. Why is that politicians in high ranking positions can choose to step down of their own accord but people in the army don't have the same choice?

Justin's first course of action in order to get out of reporting for active duty is by far his sanest ploy. When one of your older brothers happens to be a lawyer, it makes perfect sense to get free legal advice and see if the legal system can get him out of his unenviable pickle.

It's just a pity for Justin that Kevin is forced into telling them that really isn't anyway of getting out of his contract with the army. For Justin, it's really not a good time to be straight and childless but if he had been watching the latest episodes of Weeds, he could've went down Andy Botwin's route and applied for Rabbinical school or provoke a dog into chomping off one of his toes. Heck even I don't want to see Justin in the army as much as he does.

Still Justin attempts to deal with his setbacks in another and despite Kevin's stanch wishes against the idea; it doesn't take Justin that long into getting his dealer to make up a fake passport. See, even being a fugitive is far more preferable than going back to the army. It really makes you wonder why Justin joined the army in the first place if it was going to end scarring him the way it has done.

Another thing Justin acquired of his dealer was drugs and plenty of them because when faced with big problems, Justin does like to go into a state of oblivion. Perhaps he should change dealers because aside from being strung out, this guy seems rarely blissed out ala Claire Fisher.

Worse still is that he ends up and presumably screwing former bit on the side, Fawn and in quite the predictable moment Tyler walks into Justin's apartment and witnesses the entire event. You feel bad for Tyler here as she did seem to genuinely care for Justin but even she has had enough of him, which means that Justin manages to lose both his job and his girlfriend in one swift blow. Needless to say, it gets worse for Justin after that.

So what else could happen that would be bad for Justin? Well maybe he could have gotten his fake passport and arrested at the airport or if the writers were going to go to the extreme, Justin might have attempted suicide. Instead the present day antics of the episode with Justin being rushed into hospital after taking an overdose. This episode really has been a case of bad times all round for Justin but after initial reservations, Dave Annable's acting has really gone up a notch.

However while the present day Justin stuff is gripping, it's really the past events that give audiences a better understanding as we flashback to September 11th 2001 and Nora is naturally panicking when she fears for Kitty's life and Justin and William can do nothing to relieve.

With two 9/11 related movies and tonnes of media stuff in regards to one of the most famous tragedies to happen in this century, having it provide a backdrop for this episode could've been an ultimate disaster but in actual fact, it's a totally brilliant move and it only enhances the enjoyment of the episode. It's proof that this show's polemic slant works so well as well.

In flashbacks Kitty turns out to be perfectly safe and arrives home so she could her family out of their worry but in later scenes with Justin, she breaks down and admits how freaked out she really was by the entire experience. Not that you can blame her. I remember being in school when my Business studies teacher told us what happened. It's not exactly an event anyone will forget, no matter how the years progress.

If I had reservations about Calista Flockhart being able to deliver when given heavy, emotionally wrought material then I needn't had bothered. She played an absolute blinder during the flashback scenes with Justin and I love how this episode really commented on their closeness as siblings too. It shows that William was pretty perceptive on that note.

It also became apparent during those scenes that while Kitty never actually forced or told Justin to join the army, the very thought of losing people he loves and a sense of doing the right thing were definitely what made Justin sign up. The last flashback of this episode then revolves around a family meal and Justin breaking the ice by telling everyone that he's enlisted. Nora, true to her form wasn't best pleased with that decision on her baby's part.

It also bites Kitty in the ass during the present day when after she tells Nora about Justin having to go back, the first thing Nora does is to accuse Kitty of wanting Justin to get hurt. Eight episodes in and I still hate that trait of Nora's and my (somewhat reasonable) political views are similar to hers.

It was also a shame that Nora had gone there again because this was building up to be one of those episode where there was a fun camaraderie between the pair of them. In her success of not scaring Dave off, Nora arranged a proper date with him and Kitty advised against early nookie and the scene where Nora stumbles in early and gets busted by Kitty is nothing short of hilarious. I'm pretty sure in a few episodes time, the role between Nora and Kitty on the dating front will reverse but one thing that seems constant is how more enjoyable some of their lighter scenes together tend to be.

I also appreciated the fact that Kitty was quick to defend herself and explained that she only intended to tell Justin that she was going to be there for him. That also helped out a lot when Kitty, Nora and Tommy (who has had nothing else to do this week) are the ones who find Justin strung out and get him to a hospital.

Between flashbacks and overdoses, there were some other pressing matters and the one involving that bloody secret account really needed resolving before tedium set in and thankfully when she leaves the moralising at home, Sarah proves she's a smart cookie. Maybe she should become a decoder as it might be better than working for Tommy and Saul.

Getting Holly interrogated by the forensic accountant seemed to be a bit of a bust as the woman didn't seem to know anything and when she thinks that Saul was pumping her for information, Holly lets him have it before Saul is able to worm his way back into her affections. I'm not really sure if I buy this relationship. Sometimes I wonder if Holly is with Saul because unlike William, he might actually let her in.

Still Sarah has some fun on her own cracking that damn William related code and while it isn't Rebecca or his favour pet or the first girl he slept with, the combinations of SKTKJR manages to do the trick. Pity Sarah didn't have someone in the room with her at the time but her reaction to Holly's lies is spot on.

Okay we all knew that Holly was holding and maybe there's an element of truth behind her claims that she was at first protecting Rebecca but there was also the fact she was lying to a man she claims she now loves and while I don't particularly care how she feels about Sarah, Holly should've known her lies would've came back to get her.

Sarah wasn't particularly accommodating to Holly's excuses either and in no uncertain terms told her to stay out of their lives. You have to wonder that without Saul and Rebecca (who no doubt will pop up eventually in the season), why the writers would keep Holly on for a long term. Patricia Wettig is a decent enough actress but Holly's hardly a long term sounding character.

Sarah was also pretty quick to tell Saul that he needed to get his priorities in order and if anyone from the Walker clan will force Saul to choose between Holly and his family, it'll more than likely be her. Then again Saul seems to be the kind of guy who likes to have his cake and eat it, so Sarah might have a fight on her hands.

Thankfully the business side isn't the only obstacle for Sarah as her attempts of trying to include Gabe in the family falls on deaf ears. He's a sullen 14 year old so naturally while he may not see Sarah as Cruella De Ville, it's somewhat understandable that he isn't so quick to embrace her, Paige and Cooper as his own just yet.

While Sarah thinks she is being reasonable (to which she is), Gabe acts like she's invading a territory that only his biological mum can do and with Joe not around to factor, it's pretty obvious that he's not so eager to tell her what happened during a fight in school. Fortunately for Sarah she is able to get the truth out of him eventually and there's a really neat moment where the two of them do connect. I personally have no problem with seeing more of Gabe and I like that while his relationship is a bit fractured, neither party vilified. That makes for a more interesting dynamic between the two of them.

Speaking of dynamics if Kevin was hell bent on saving his relationship with Scotty, then perhaps he should've gotten Kitty to write him up a speech because amazingly enough, Kevin's attempts of damage control only spark more damage. Now I've put my foot in my mouth but nowhere near as bad as Kevin does here.

Although he doesn't intend to be insensitive the money issue reared its ugly head when Scotty took offence over Kevin's jest now that he's been compensated and refused to take the check. Kevin on the other hand still posts the check and gives an incredibly heartfelt apology. Even though Scotty does seem to care for Kevin, it's clearly not enough and as a result, he dumps the lawyer. In some ways this might not be a thing but it was nice to see Kevin in a relationship and hopefully we won't have to wait too long until he enters another. That being said let him grieve for losing Scotty for a little bit first. Also in "Mistakes Were Made Part 1"

SKTKJR – Sarah, Kitty, Tommy, Kevin, Justin and Rebecca, which finally places the order of when each Walker child was born.

Tyler: "Is it something in the room right now? Can you eat it?"
    Justin: "Yes and yes".

Justin opened this episode by seducing Tyler. He's also the only character so far that an episode has primarily opened and ended with too.

Cooper: "But I'm wailing on my sticks"
    Sarah: "Did your Dad teach you that phrase?"
    Paige: "No I did and I regret it".

Kitty (re Scotty): "If I were you I would beg him on bended knee to take you back"
    Kevin: "Bended knee? Cool. Whore!"
    Kitty: ****

Sarah told Gabe that all of the Walkers had a plate of their own as kids that they were responsible for like Paige and Cooper. I'm surprised she didn't offer to make Gabe one.

Kevin: "I'm not sure I can, Justin. It's called a stop loss. It's basically a back door draft"
    Justin: "I know! Get me out of this!"
    Kevin: "You signed a clause when you enlisted saying they could do this".

What the heck was up with Nora's wig in the flashback scenes? Did ABC one of them from the Ugly Betty set or what?

Dave: "You're missing your husband?"
    Nora: "Yes".

Kitty (to her family): "The plane was really empty. There were like six passengers. Someone said to the flight attendant, 'we're here for you' and she started crying. It was weird".

I actually had a neighbour in our town who died in the 9/11 attacks. I didn't know her very well but one of my sisters did.

Tyler: "I never want to see you again"
    Justin: "I guess that means I'm fired then, huh?"
    Tyler: "Yeah that means you're fired".

Gabe: "The kid called me a **** I guess I shouldn't have hit him"
    Sarah: "No. He wasn't worth it but I'm glad you told me".

You have to wonder given that Sarah was the one to unlock the accounts, whether or not they should really pay the forensic accountant.

Holly: "Rebecca had to live her whole life thinking her father was a nobody. A mistake … I don't know how I'm going to tell her that I've been lying all these years"
    Sarah: "I don't care what you do. Just stay the hell away from my family".

Kevin: "Please tell me this is the part where you let me off the hook"
    Scotty: "It's not".

Standout music: "See Through This" by Flunk, "St. Augustine's Road" by Mt. Egypt and "Philosphia" by The Guggenheim Grotto.

Nora: "Justin, what's the matter?"
    Justin: "Nothing's the matter, I enlisted today".

Chronology: Two months since "An Act Of Will".

This was undoubtedly the very episode that made me really want to review this series. "Mistakes Were Made Part 1" is an incredible piece of television that is virtually flawless from start to finish. It also highlights the strong cast, the brilliant writing staff and the superb use of music. Part 2 will have a lot to live up to but I'm going to doubt that I'll be disappointed this time next week.
  • EMOTIONNAL

This episode is a flashback episode and it's a succeed again for Brothers and Sisters. So, Justin is called for return to Iraq and it's " good " to see like america has change his opinion about his war, I think particulary to Kitty. So we return to the day of the 11 eleven 2001, the day when america was attaqued. In the first episode we learnt thaht Kitty'house is in New York not far away of the twins towers. Justin played by David Annable is excellent in the episode. We learn more about Rebecca I think that was good thaht in the past she became a part of family Walker then I think that she was played by everwood girl so it's cool. Great Episode ( Again ) with a lot of emotionnal scene.
  • A moving episode that ends on a bit of a cliffhager as the family waits to see if Justin will make it. Told partly in flashback we get to see Tom Skerrit again, which make the episode even better.

I thought this was a well developed and very reavealling episode. Through the clever use of flashbacks we are shown how 9/11 impacted on the members of the Walker family. Kitty was in New York and the horror on her parents and Justin's face when they saw the news bulletin was how I imagine it must of been for anyone who had family in New York that day.

Justin is recalled to Iraq and sprials quickly out of control when Kevin can offer no suggestions for a way out. He returns to drugs and plans to disappear into Mexico.

Kevin finally has to say goodbye to Scotty, after finally realising that Kitty was right and he was treating him badly.

Sarah manages to balance making her stepson feel like a "real" member of the family (I hope she organises a plate for him though) whilst cracking the password on the account that hides the missing millions. Beautifully acted by Rachel Griffiths I might add.

The episode ends with the whole family waiting in the hopsital after Justins overdose. I am fully expecting the next episode (part two) to be even stronger than this one.

Great writing and fabulous acting make this show one of my favourites. I cannot wait each week to find out what will happen next to the Walker clan, so disfunctional and yet so strongly bonded. What a glorious family to be part of.
  • Justin gets called back to Iraq.

This was another amazing episode of Brothers & Sisters. The writers really know how to blend comedy and drama together in one episode which reminds me of the tone of The Office (U.S.)which I love. Dave Annable was absolutely outstanding in this episode. He does such a good job portraying someone who has been traumatized by fighting in a war. Sally Field was great in this episode. Calista Flockheart was great too. Brothers & Sisters really has a terrific cast. All of the actors are great. With episodes like this,it's easy to see why ABC granted Brothers & Sisters an early renewal for it's second season. All in all, this was another great episode of Brothers & Sisters which has yet to disappoint me.
  • Justin is called back for war...

Justin is called back for war and goes crazy. I really liked him and Tyler together and it's a shame he messed it up. But then at the same time I don't blame him because he's scared sh*t less and he doesn't know what to do because obviously he doesn't want to go back to the one place that traumatize him. So we find out that Holly lied to Sarah about Rebecca but Sarah's smart enough to figure out the password finally after numerous months and at the same time find Rebecca's initial was included. It's emotional as they take it back to September 11 as Nora, Justin, and Kitty remember what happened. OMG Justin overdoses causing an intense scene as they try to wake him up and rush him to the hospital...
  • Great performances, nice storylines, interesting flashbacks and a suspenseful ending are only a few things that happen in this episode.

Justin gets a letter informing him that he is enlisted back in the army, and he doesn’t know how to take it. He doesn’t tell Tyler about it and asks Kevin to help him. He remembers moments of the past when Kitty came home from New York after the September 11th tragedy and wonders back and forth whether to go or not. Kevin informs Kitty about Justin, and Kitty doesn’t want to influence Justin again. Meanwhile, Justin starts doing drugs again because of the pressure. Kevin tries to patch things up with Scotty, but Scotty ends their relationship. Sarah finds her step son Gabriel distant and remorseful to her, and doesn’t know what to do. She later finds Gabe getting into fights in school and tries to confront him about it, but he doesn’t tell her. Sarah also confronts Holly about Rebecca and asks her help for cracking the password. Holly denies Rebecca being William’s daughter. Due to this, Holly gets angry at Sol for humiliating her that way. Sarah finally finds out how to crack the password, and finds out that Holly has been lying to her. Nora has a date with David and tells Kitty about it. During the date, she can’t help thinking about William and her family. This was a wonderful episode, which ends in a very suspenseful manner. Great performance was given by Calista Flockhart, especially in the scene where Kitty pours her heart out to Justin about the 9/11 incident. Dave Annable also acted flawlessly as Justin. I was also surprised by Patricia Wettig’s performance as Holly, where she acted really well especially towards the end of the episode. There are a lot of powerful flashbacks in this episode, and we get to know more about the incidents that led to Justin enlisting in the army. I did enjoy the comical scenes between Nora and Kitty when they talked about Nora’s date.

All in all, this was a very emotional episode that makes you want to watch the next episode to see how it continues.
  • An emotional episode sending the viewers on another wild ride with the Walkers. A fine example of a job well done by everyone working on this series.

This has been one of my favorite episodes to date. They've all been fantastic, including <i>Affairs of State</i> (the episode Nora tells everyone she knows her husband had an affair with Holly) and <i>Northern Exposure</i> (the episode when the Walker family and company all end up at the family cabin.)

This episode was especially sincere because of the flashbacks. It was so nice to see that they will be having Tom Skerrit appear in flashbacks and I applaud the writers and creators for these specific flashbacks. When it first started I never imagined that it was going back to September 11, 2001. That was really deep. To see what this family went through on that day and to be able to compare it to what your day was like, as we can all remember exactly where we were and what we were doing. It really helped to make us feel an even stronger connection with these characters.

Calista Flockhart, Dave Annable and Sally Field really shined in this episode.

Another great installment of the seasons best new show!
  • This family gets us involved in their lives.We want them to have happy, healthy and full lives.Heart-tugging, sobering, levity with Nora’s new life, anxiously waiting for Kevin to have another magical moment with Scotty, baiting us to come back for more.

BROTHERS and SISTERS is a GIFT to those with a warm heart, an intelligent sense of humor, appreciation of unpretentious acting and living in the current political world with an informed mind. Talented writing that shows us the world stage, family drama and personal interconnections interwoven, is plain and simple – a pleasure to witness.

Laughing out loud was mostly put aside to deal with our real life subject, 9/11, which we saw through Kitty’s experience. The moment was touching when eye to eye Justin (Dave Annable) reacted to his dad’s words, “Cause you remind me of me, when I was younger”.

The dinner table scene was poignant. Justin, while away from home and family in Afghanistan, lost an innocence that will never be his again. He knows he can’t go back there. He loses his emotional balance, his sobriety and his budding relationship with Tyler.

The scenes with Sarah and Gabriel are believable because they appear to be torn from life. It’s tough being a kid. Gabriel’s feeling like an outsider manifests in poor judgment at school.

Nora was terrific in leaving the bed of David. THIS WAS funny! Treat Williams and Sally Field are so natural together. My personal piece de resistance is any scene with Matthew Rhys’ Kevin. Especially when there is chemistry happening with Scotty or Kevin working his way back to Scotty (Luke MacFarlane). These two could act a scene without words and I’d be fulfilled. Rallying for Justin illustrates the essence of the Walker family.
  • Justin takes a long spiral down as Sarah makes a startling discovery of the past.

This series just keeps getting better and this is a prime example why. You have to feel for Justin. Just as he's getting his life back together, he finds out he's being called back to duty and it all falls apart. I can tell he was deliberately making sure to drive his girlfriend away, thinking it'd be better when he left but I wonder whether he was trying to kill himself at the end. If nothing else, one would think this would render him unable to serve but you never know.

The flashbacks were great, showing the shock of 9/11 and at last we get a sense of why Nora hates Kitty a bit as it really does look like she's pushing Justin into joining with her big speech. But Kitty's "I believe it's necessary" line was good too and telling that as soon as she heard of Justin, Nora was ready to help Kitty out. Also, it was nice to see Skerrit back in the flashbacks, showing how his presence really did help the kids out then.

We got developments with Sarah finding the money at last, which seems to lift a weight off the family. Of course, that's balanced by her finding out her dad had another child and we all know that's going to come out and cause more chaos down the road for this family. In the other plot, it was good to see Kevin finally swallowing his own fears and standing to try to get his boyfriend back. I also liked his argument with Kitty over Justin, so realistic as siblings bicker.

So a major development for the family as one crisis ends but more begin, promising some good drama to come.
  • Better and better...

I can\'t stress enough on how this series is only getting better and better as each episode airs. This particular episode was very interesting with a lot of heartbreak. Especially in regards to the flashbacks to 911 and Justin\'s decision to join the army. Calista Flockhart (to my surprise) was impressive in this episode when she was explaining her thought process during 911. It was very \'real\' to me. And Justin, the youngest member of the family, after seeing his older sister cry her heart out - feeling as though he needed to join the army to protect his family from falling apart - was very sad and moving.
    I was a bit nervous about Nora\'s date with David, but it turned out to be such a sweet/sad moment where Nora explains how William made her feel. The morning after scene with Nora sneaking out was humorous. And again, I\'m in awe of Sally Field\'s acting. Another storyline was Sarah finding out that Holly\'s daughter, Rebecca is in fact William\'s daughter (after Holly denied it). The scene where Sarah confronts her was very well played by both ladies.

Overall, great writing, great acting...
  • Powerful Flashbacks...

This is by far one of the better episodes I have seen all season. I love the flashbacks to Sept. 11th, and how they all reacted to seeing the planes flying into the buildings, and how conversations with Kitty, and the family lead Justin to join the army in the first place. This was pretty powerful stuff. Its balanced out nicely with the after effects of Sept. 11th, mainly Justins return from the war and how he feels about going back. He would rather go to Mexico than go back to war.. For me it reminded me of how my thoughts of changed since Sept. 11th, and how I disagree with the war now too... but Kitty's comments about how "some wars need to be fought and won" or something like that was also true.. so it really makes you think about things. This is why I love this show. It deals with real issues, and it really makes you think. Also.. I really hope Kevin and Scotty work out their issues because i think it would be great to see a real gay relationship on tv for once. Plus I like Scotty's character.. We'll see what happens..
  • This episode was definitely exciting!!!

Not only was this episode exciting...but it was also informative!
    There was revelation into the past of their father, and you also got to find out that not only did his "sweet-woman" lie to him, but to his kids and her daughter as well.
    Plus, we got to see the progression of the relationship between the mother and her 'carpenter' friend.

Aside from that, we got to see the family in the moment of crisis...when it came to Justin, and his overdosed state!

All in all, it left you wanting for more!!!