Brothers & Sisters

Righteous Kiss

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Oct 17, 2010 on ABC

• Righteous Kiss is from a quote from Shakespeare, but is this episode a tragedy or a comedy?

Sometimes the show goes for drama, and sometimes comedy. Or is it a dramedy? The comedy was working a little better than the drama, and here is why: The drama was mostly Holly with her amnesia or dementia, and that was very contrived writing. The writers may be making allusions to Shakepeare, but Shakespeare they ain't. The best thing about Holly's story was when Rebecca took the photo of her biological dad, played by Ken Olin, and Holly together. They were both on the show 30 Something together, and it was like a 30 Something reunion. Ken Olin is also the Executive Producer for B&S, and sometimes he directs, as well as playing Rebecca's dad. Next on the drama was Justin and Rebecca breaking up. She had a job offer in New York. And though they spent the night together, it was time for her to move on. Though I admit that it was kind of a tear jerking moment, it didn't make sense that they would give up on each other that easily. I think it was more like the actress didn't want to renew her contract, so they wrote in some kind of conclusion to their story arc. They did compare themselves to the star-crossed lovers, Romeo & Juliet, but when push came to shove, they just gave up. There was a possible romance between Uncle Saul and his new friend. I would call it a comedy scene when Saul, Scottie, Kevin, and Saul's new friend all help Sarah make costumes for her son Cooper's school play, Romeo & Juliet. More comedy as the stuck up mothers from the exclusive school they are trying to get Cooper enrolled in show up to act snooty and drool over Luc. Comedy when Cooper wants to drop out of his starring role when he learns he'll have to kiss Juliet. After a pep talk from Luc he changes his mind and really brings down the house. More comedy when Sarah tells off the snooty mothers and blows off the exclusive school. It is like Harper Valley PTA in Ojai. The story with Kitty and the Handyman was played as comedy, but it seemed too rushed and too soon after she lost her husband, Robert. I think they maybe are thinking that they want her to get with a guy who will turn out to be a Tea Partier guy politically so they can comment on that trend, and dramatize the rift that it is creating in the Republican Party. BTW, what about the story line where the RNC asked her to work for them? Would she be replacing Michael Steele? I hope they follow up on that thread. As for the Shakespeare angle, the title is from Act V, Scene III, where Romeo takes the poison:

Forgive me, cousin! Ah, dear Juliet,
    Why art thou yet so fair? shall I believe
    That unsubstantial death is amorous,
    And that the lean abhorred monster keeps
    Thee here in dark to be his paramour?
    For fear of that, I still will stay with thee;
    And never from this palace of dim night
    Depart again: here, here will I remain
    With worms that are thy chamber-maids; O, here
    Will I set up my everlasting rest,
    And shake the yoke of inauspicious stars
    From this world-wearied flesh. Eyes, look your last!
    Arms, take your last embrace! and, lips, O you
    The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss
    A dateless bargain to engrossing death!
    Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury guide!
    Thou desperate pilot, now at once run on
    The dashing rocks thy sea-sick weary bark!
    Here's to my love!

[Romeo Drinks]

O true apothecary!
    Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die.

In another scene Saul's friend, who is quite the cultured world traveler, quotes his favorite lines from Romeo & Juliet:

See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
    O, that I were a glove upon that hand,
    That I might touch that cheek!

It is leading up to a kiss, but then Saul confesses that he is HIV Positive, and his friend, who had already lived with a man who had died of AIDS says that he just can't go through that again. Saul is crushed, but he rebounds, and later thanks Scottie and Kevin for pushing him to get out of his shell and try and connect with someone. They mention that they might know a lawyer who would be great for him, and we are back to the comedy, with Saul anxious to know more about him.

So, it seems like they have killed some story arcs where they had kind of painted themselves into a box, and created some new arcs, albeit somewhat clumsily. We will see where this goes. I will keep watching, even if it doesn't match up to Shakespeare, because nothing else on TV does, either.