Brothers & Sisters

S3X

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Apr 19, 2009 on ABC

• Threesome Written by Cliff Olin And David Marshall Grant Directed by Laura Innes

Kevin (re Chad): "He came up to me on a very busy street and gave me a big kiss, apparently as an apology for being so deeply closeted when we dated. But you know it was all him. You can ask Sarah, she saw the whole thing."
    Scotty: "Wow, that is dramatic."

Yeah because when it came to a lot of returns from Kevin's sexual past, I thought it would've been more likely for Jason to have resurfaced that Chad. Not that Jason Lewis has really appeared in much since the first season (apart from the Sex And The City movie).

Chad's reappearance pretty much merited the opening scene of the episode. Kevin and Sarah were doing something as simple as shopping for the latter going back to Ojai and Chad just went up and planted a big kiss on Kevin that was more comedic than sexy.

The funny part was that a few seconds prior to Chad's generous greeting, Sarah wondered whether or not he would make dating material for her. Well, she's done worse I suppose but Chad only seemed to have eyes (and, yeah tongue) for Kevin, so Sarah didn't get a look in.

In fact Chad was so keen on hooking up with Kevin that learning about his ex-boyfriend being a happily married man wasn't a deterrent for him. Oddly enough, it was more of a draw for Chad, who did act like the male equivalent of a nymphomaniac in this episode.

It's good that Kevin actually told Scotty about the kiss Chad planted on him. It would've been crap for Kevin to have concealed it and a couple of episodes later have the writers mine some unearned drama out of it. It was better that they got it out of the way with Kevin being upfront about it.

Seeing as Kevin hadn't done anything to encourage Chad (though he probably could've done more to discourage), Scotty's breezy was a welcomed relief. Scotty clearly does trust Kevin more than his knowledge of Chad's acting as far as I'm concerned and he even had no problem with meeting the ex for drinks.

The scene with Kevin, Scotty and Chad at the bar had moments of sexiness and awkwardness. Kevin himself looked uncomfortable with both his ex and his husband conversing and while it was great to see Chad more open about his sexuality, a part of me wondered if he was overcompensating as well.

His disdain at the idea of settling down and getting, the not remotely subtle way he proposed a three way, Chad came across as someone who wanted to make up for lost time. I don't begrudge that in a way, provided Chad's need to have fun doesn't hurt other people and the idea of a gay three-way being suggested on network television is pretty progressive.

But here's the thing. I love Kevin and Scotty on this show as much (if not more) as I did with David and Keith on Six Feet Under. I wasn't big on the open relationship storyline Six Feet Under did in its fourth season for David and Keith and by that definition; I was also reluctant to see a similar dynamic with Kevin, Scotty and Chad.

Perhaps the writers (as well as ABC restrictions) felt similar to myself because while that bar scene had all flirtatious banter, Chad didn't end up coming home with Kevin and Scotty. However we did get treated to some bloody glorious shirtless scenes with Kevin and Scotty that are by far the sexiest thing the show has done with any couple – gay or straight. It'll be interesting to see if Torchwood can pull something similar off this year.

Of course, the sexiness did have to get interrupted by Sarah. That woman really does need to use her cell phone every once in a while and while it may have been a slight buzzkill, it didn't take her very long to realise that the lads were perhaps hoping that Chad would pursue them after all.

We may not have gotten any Chad but we did have Kevin and Scotty briefly quarrel over boundaries and given the former's family, how did we not get this argument any earlier with them? That being said, wasn't Scotty being a little hypocritical as well? I'm just saying.

In terms of fights though, it wasn't marriage threatening. If anything it reminded Kevin and Scotty how committed to each other that they've become and without moralising, it's great that the writers continue to show them as a couple who are growing and can communicate with each other. They're the only couple on the series right now that are able to do that.

One couple who obviously can't are still Kitty and Robert. Just when it looks like things can't get any worse for them, it does. This week saw something more a grey area spot in the longest time with some sympathy actually being drawn out for Robert for a change.

Maybe a slap up meal isn't going to solve marital woes but it was Robert's attempts of meeting Kitty halfway and it would've been nice if she had taken that into account. Instead she looked both angry and fed up with him. Even the affidavit for having sex with her didn't lighten the mood between them.

And then there's Alec. He's a reasonably nice guy but in TV land, he's also cliché. The understanding person drawn in when a couple's marriage is beginning to crumble. The way Kitty behaves around him too sends off worrying signs that even Nora had to have spotted.

Kitty made no bones about the fact that she could talk to Alec a lot easier than she could with Robert. If anything, it could be seen as a direct parallel to Sarah's connection with Noah that we only saw briefly during the first season. While Noah didn't exactly dismantle Sarah and Joe's marriage, Alec could possibly be the one to sabotage Kitty and Robert's without even trying.

Alec did seem dimly aware of Kitty's struggles with communicating with Robert and even questioned her on why she chose to confide in him about her problems in a straight-forward, reasonable way. Also Kitty tried to hide the extent of her friendship with Nora as well, which is another bad sign.

Speaking of bad signs, how many does Rebecca need before she realises that Ryan is bad news? I'm beginning to think that Ryan could blow up all of Ojai and Rebecca still wouldn't think anything bad of him. However apart from Justin, it seems that David is also unfond of Ryan.

Not that I blame David. Ryan did come across as a touch creepy during the dinner and there was certainly some boundary issues there as well. David told Rebecca that Ryan had feelings for her and she chose to ignore it. Will she ignore if Holly lets slip that she told Ryan to thank her with hydrangeas?

However as crappy as watching Ryan moon over Rebecca in creepy school boy fashion, I am still not going to warm to the idea of a resolution between her and Justin. Their brief scene together did nothing for me, even if it was Justin's desperate attempt to fight for Rebecca.

Speaking of fighting for, Nora didn't exactly fight for her relationship with Roger all that much. Maybe it was bad timing or maybe deep down, Nora wasn't ready to make any life changes with Roger because either way, he left again as quickly as he came back.

Roger leaving his wife permanently for Nora should be a good thing. He knows that she won't tolerate an open relationship and perhaps he cares enough to stay monogamous. Given how he exited again, perhaps they might bring him back in the finale or next season. Nora really does need a life outside of her children in a big way.

Tommy, even in absence has still managed to cause problems. If his family aren't worried about him, then they're overjoyed at the idea of him coming home. Nora actually did the right by staying away (though it's obvious that we can thank Roger for that) but this was another Balthazar Getty free episode.

Julia who was willing to ditch Tommy in the last episode made the decision to give him a fair chance in this one. I guess by having Tommy not come home and opt to stay in Mexico is a good way of saying that perhaps Julia shouldn't have bothered. Unfortunately, there's only one more option for Julia and that's to leave herself.

As for Sarah, getting back to working in a company with a woman you loathe has got to be hard. Surprisingly this episode didn't give Sarah and Holly much contact beyond one scene. Instead Sarah spent most of her time clamouring for accounts man Cal before actually getting to sleep with him.

I know there were some people who complained about Sarah's lack of professionalism and with good reason too but I couldn't help but find her scenes with Cal both sexy and a little bit funny. Thematically, sex played a huge factor in the episode and for me; this was not a case of yikes. Of course you couldn't have every episode be like this but everyone once in a while, its fine.

Also in "S3X"

S3X, the text speak of sex, right? Yeah, at first it took me a while to click it.

Kevin (re pink dress): "Make a statement. Put that on. It'll get you noticed."
    Sarah: "Yeah, it will from space."

This episode had the pleasure of being paired up with the series finale of ER and it's respective special, so it's like we got a double dose of Laura Innes (she directed the episode).

Kitty: "Robert, honey, we should definitely not be getting overly excited."
    Robert: "I think that's exactly what we should be doing." Sarah (re Chad): "He really is spectacular. He's bi, right?"
    Kevin: "Yeah."
    Sarah: "Maybe you should introduce me."
    Kevin: "What?"
    Sarah: "I'm 40. I can't be that choosy."

Isn't Sarah supposed to be a year older than Kitty, which means, shouldn't she be 40 or 42 instead?

Roger: "I was in the neighbourhood."
    Nora: "Neighbourhood? You live in London."

Kevin: "You sound like a gay Justin."
    Sarah: "No, I'm serious. The place is absolutely swarming with hot men. I can hardly bear it."

Maybe in Season 4, they'll do a gay Justin plot because I would find that more plausible than him and Rebecca right now.

Nora: "Life is so much sweeter with a baby. Why did you guys have to go and grow up?"
    Kitty: "Well, that was the only way we could get away from you."

Rebecca: "I didn't know you were such a Braniac."
    Ryan: "I'm sorry. I thought it was obvious."

Holly told Ryan to let go of the past. I want to believe that she might have had selfless intent with that seeing as David makes her less Walker fixated than usual.

Chad (re photos): "Wow, you guys are so cute."
    Kevin: "Being surrounded by that many flowers makes anyone cute."

Sarah: "You're an athlete?"
    Cal: "I gave it my best shot. I'm a pretty good manager though."

I liked that Chad actually called to apologise to Kevin and Scotty if he caused tension between. Also since coming out, he's been offered more masculine roles. Interesting.

Scotty: "Are you this horny because we almost had a three-way?"
    Kevin: "Me? You could barely contain yourself on the car ride home."

Sarah: "Oh my God, Kevin you'll never believe it. I had sex in the office. I really need share with somebody."
    Kevin: "Why me?"
    Sarah: "Because I can't get a hold of Kitty and well, before you and Scotty got together, you were the most promiscuous member of the family."
    Scotty: "Oh that's comforting to know."

Actually if we go by an early exchange in the season, I'm pretty sure that Justin bragged about being the most promiscuous member of the family. Scotty: "I'm not having this conversation with you, Sarah. You Walkers have absolutely no boundaries."
    Kevin: "Maybe you should've thought of boundaries before you got us into this."

Alec: "Why are you telling me this?"
    Kitty: "Because it's easier for me to talk to you than it is for me to talk to him."

Standout music: This episode was loaded with it but Athlete's "You Got The Style" and Britney Spears' "Lace And Leather" perfectly set up the fun, naughty tone this episode intended.

Scotty: "I guess we're more comfortable nesting. We may as well be lesbians."
    Kevin: "Even lesbians have three-ways."
    Scotty: "Yeah, but their heart's never in it."

Robert: "Kitty, this can't go on. We have to talk."
    Kitty: "I know. It's just that there's nothing I wanna say right now."

Chronology: I'm guessing that we're definitely in May 2009 at this point.

"S3X" to me, is something of a fun episode. Occasionally there's moments of sheer silliness (Sarah acting as if Ojai has turned into a Diet Coke advert for example) but the episode is endlessly fun and with some emotional moments too, it's not all fluff.