Brothers & Sisters

Two Places

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Nov 04, 2007 on ABC

• Duality Written by Monica Owusa-Breen And Alison Schapker Directed by Gloria Muzio

Robert: "Oh my God".
    Kitty: "No honey, it's good. It's nature's way of ending a potential problem. We don't have to rush the wedding".

That is probably the strangest comment I've heard from anyone on this series so far. However while it might come across as a tad cold-hearted, I think it's safe to assume that Kitty was using it as a defence mechanism when she said it. It's also a shame that when things were really looking up for Kitty, something really terrible had to go and happen to her. Then again this is modern TV and characters are definitely not immune to bad things happening to them.

Normally on a lot of TV shows, miscarriages can either have an act of violence happen that lead to a baby being lost or it can be something simpler. For this series, the writers went with the latter option when Kitty and believe me, it definitely didn't deter.

Having Nora go with Kitty to the hospital for her first scan was a nice touch and the scene where the female doctor told Kitty that she miscarried was nicely played. You knew the bad news was coming but the delivery really did bring it home.

Calista Flockhart, who has proven how strong of a dramatic actress she is on this show, really excels herself this week. Kitty's utter shock of losing her baby, followed by her crying in private shows the kind of maturity this show has in dealing with uncomfortable subject matter.

Of course I should also compliment Sally Field as well as Nora went out of her way to be there for Kitty and also to remind her that the miscarriage wasn't her fault. I've had family member suffer miscarriage myself, so I'm pleased to see the series tackle the issue with sensitivity. Too often shows opt for melodrama but not here.

Telling Robert was then the other thorny issue for Kitty. He wasn't exactly enthusiastic when he discovered through Travis that Kitty was pregnant in the previous episode and with the campaign getting more intense, I can see why Kitty might have had reservations in telling him.

Needless to say, Robert did handle the bad news well and even wanted to be at Kitty's side when she had to go back to the hospital but afterwards we did see him confessing to Isaac of all people that he didn't want to be a father again and was in some ways relieved that he didn't.

For the longest time, Rob Lowe hasn't been given some truly meaty material and while Robert's confession doesn't exactly portray him in a good light, it's the first however that he's come across as a more believable character. Again I don't agree with Robert's views but that little confession has been a lot more interesting than listening to him go on incessantly about tactics for his campaign.

Earlier on in this episode, Kitty roped in Isaac to help combat the public backlash that her pregnancy might have on Robert's campaign. Casting Danny Glover in the role of Isaac was a nice choice and giving him conflicting history with both Robert and Kitty was also a good choice.

With Kitty, Isaac was an old friend and something of a mentor figure from what I gathered from their earlier scenes. Robert however not only dislikes Isaac for using underhanded tactics but a decade ago, Isaac was the same bloke who outed Jason to sabotage Robert.

Of course Isaac isn't exactly apologetic for doing such a thing. Instead when Robert attempts to lay down ground rules, Isaac basically tells Robert to shape up if he's really serious about being the next President. Again can I point out that I really don't want Robert to win this race?

As for Isaac when he's not genuinely annoying the hell out of Robert, he's making eyes at Nora. He must view her as a kindred spirit because he does seem a little overly excited watching her antagonise Kitty and well, after that sleazy professor, Nora could do with a bit of fun. Plus he did set her the challenge of arranging a wedding in two days prior to Kitty miscarrying.

Giving Nora a task like that in such a short space of time to work pretty much meant hell for everyone else. She's quick to give Paige and Cooper chores to carry and she certainly enjoys tormenting both Tommy and Saul at the same time too. Fortunately Kitty is able to deflate her tyrannical reign.

Sarah on the other hand is also continuing to have a crap time of things too. When she is able to see Paige and Cooper, she has to deal with her older child misbehaving in school and then running away after a setback with the wedding plans. However Paige is clearly not that good at running away if the furthest place she could go was to Nora's. Joe isn't a particularly great mood and blames Sarah for the whole thing. Normally he'd have a point but given that Joe made the fighting between him and Sarah worse than it had to be, it does come across as a bit hypocritical for him to get so high and mighty.

Fortunately he does redeem himself towards the end of the episode by allowing for joint custody so that Paige and Cooper can have equal time with both him and Sarah. If only Joe had this amazing hindsight prior to Paige acting up. He might have been able to have prevented this to begin with.

Speaking of preventing, if Tommy kept his dick in his pants, he could then prevent whatever disaster his affair with Lena is going to cause. Instead of screwing her in the office, he's now become accustomed to sleeping over at her place. It's clear that Lena wants more but Tommy is too dense to pick up on this.

However Lena does console herself in having a little fun with Rebecca. Given that Rebecca was the very way Lena was introduced into the series, it made sense for the two of them to go and hang out. After all, both women needed a break from the Walkers. Pity Rebecca just didn't have the sense to not take Justin with her.

For a girl who needs to get away from Justin, Rebecca should've just flat told him that she needed some time away from him. Justin should've been wise enough to have gotten a clue and found some other way of amusing himself. Instead he decided to tag along with Rebecca and Lena like a dead weight.

Worse still than just tagging along was Justin and Lena ganging up on Rebecca. Justin makes cracks about her not having a life and as soon as she makes an attempt to do, he's hanging off her. Lena's no better too as she makes no effort to defend Rebecca from Justin's accusations.

Instead she's happy to see him down pills even though he obviously gives off that addict vibe and she's also snogging him outside the bathroom too. This wouldn't be so bad if she wasn't already sleeping with Tommy but Rebecca's reaction to seeing them do this is strange.

Still at least it gives her the best incentive to follow Holly's advice and get a life. By this she openly confronts Justin on his addictive behaviour and then moves out of the Walker. As much as an irritant Holly might be, I have to admit she was right in telling Rebecca to leave. She can't help Justin and Justin definitely doesn't want to help himself either.

Justin's so in denial of being an addict that nothing Rebecca says makes an impact on him. The funniest thing however is how blatantly crap his excuses are for his excessive drug intake. I didn't need Rebecca to point out how stupid his excuses were I just knew it myself.

Meanwhile for the second week in a row, Kevin doesn't really have a whole lot to do. Last week he might have been trying to help Sarah but now he's mostly moping over Jason. To be fair though he does have just cause as Jason doesn't seem to making much of an effort to contact.

Although I think it's pretty obvious that Scotty's continued presence around Kevin is going to trigger him into being unfaithful, I'm finding the bloke less annoying. Scotty moving into Kevin's place sees them sharing movies but we also get to see that Scotty does care about Kevin's well being as well.

I'd love for the writers to avoid the trap of them sleeping together but I guess with the chemistry that Matthew Rhys and Luke McFarlane exhibit, that's probably not going to happen. Kevin is also not doing a whole lot to emphasise to Scotty that he's in a committed relationship. Then again, neither is Jason come to think of it.

Also in "Two Places"

There was a nice scene where Sarah got to read Paige and Cooper via the phone she gave Paige in the previous episode.

Tommy: "I have to get going".
    Lena: "There's nothing that says you can't stay the night. I can make you my famous French toast in the morning".

Although it's an obvious thing, Lena does come across as a tad sleazy for making out with both Tommy and Justin.

Kitty: "No. You're telling me I have to get married in two days?"
    Isaac: "No time to waste".

Kevin: "You're homeless?"
    Scotty: "Oh I like to think of myself as being between homes".

Scotty's tastes in movies/TV include The Thornbirds (a fave of Kevin's), The Exorcist and Glitter. Two out of three ain't bad.

Nora: "Kitty's more of a traditionalist than that".
    Justin: "Except for the fact that she got knocked up before the idea".
    Nora: "Yes, except for that".

Nora: "Politics be damned".
    Kitty: "Mom, the groom is running for President".

Kitty kept referring to her pregnancy as "Operation Puppy". Didn't ABC also referred to the coming out episode of Ellen as "The Puppy Episode" as well?

Robert (re Isaac): "If people get wind that he's on out campaign there gonna think we're in crisis".
    Kitty: "Oh well, guess what Robert? We are in a crisis. Remember I'm pregnant".

Isaac: "Then stop wasting your time and drop out of this race. This is Presidential politics. If you're looking for idealism, you're not gonna win a nomination".
    Robert: "I'd expect that from you".

How did Nora not pick up on the fact Saul didn't want to sit anywhere near Kevin? Usually she'd comment on something like that.

Nora: "So you wanna lay down? I can stay with you until Robert comes home".
    Kitty: "I think I'm just gonna wait for him by myself if that's okay with you".

Lena: "Is that lame?"
    Rebecca: "No it just means you love your job".

Given that Tommy's original idea was to have Lizzie in a bee costume on the wine bottles, perhaps Lena is worth keeping.

Sarah (re Paige): "Damn it, we did this to her. Why did you have to make it so hard?"
    Joe: "She didn't disappear from my house".

Standout music: "Tired Of Being Sorry" by Ringside and "Field Below" by Regina Spector.

Justin: "Why are you being so judgemental?"
    Rebecca: "Because I have spent every waking minute trying to take care of you".
    Justin: "Who asked you to?"

Paige: "I wish I could be in two places at once".
    Justin: "Me too".

Chronology: A few days since "Domestic Issues".

After a superb previous episode, "Two Places" only manages to go and surpass it. Once again it's both the Kitty and Sarah plots that dominate the good stuff but at least Justin's relapse is getting momentum too.